Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rhobar121

Scholar
Unity will probably be busy counting the number of lawsuits.
At this point, they are completely screwed because they managed to piss off not only small companies but also big players.
I can already see how M$ will happily pay millions for games that appeared in gamepass.
It's not even worth mentioning mobile game developers, they're pissed off to the max.
By the end of the year, either Unity will withdraw from this or they will be drowned in lawsuits.
If this doesn't finish them off, the EU and their approach to illegal data collection will, Unity certainly doesn't have that much money for bribes.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Original TOS was used to produce games, Unity cannot just one sided change it and expect it to work on things done with old TOS. I hope Unity gets sued for this.

There is also the question of privacy. If each new installation is sending data to Unity, that is a huge security breach.

Anyway, things are really hard for owlcat. First kgb dwarf invasion, then this...

Didnt they legit acquire malware company Year or so back ? Thats in no way gonna trigger EU(EU being good for once lol :D ) Ricitello The current CEO of unity is the same ass that wanted to sell reloads as microtransactions in Battlefield.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you become a chaos servant? Relatively early?

I'm not a huge fan of Rogue trader but at least, for once, I can go into the game blind.

EDIT: being a fan of the actual Wargame, I always found the RPG/book parts to be wierd.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Original TOS was used to produce games, Unity cannot just one sided change it and expect it to work on things done with old TOS. I hope Unity gets sued for this.

There is also the question of privacy. If each new installation is sending data to Unity, that is a huge security breach.

Anyway, things are really hard for owlcat. First kgb dwarf invasion, then this...

Didnt they legit acquire malware company Year or so back ? Thats in no way gonna trigger EU(EU being good for once lol :D ) Ricitello The current CEO of unity is the same ass that wanted to sell reloads as microtransactions in Battlefield.
At the moment, they are unable to legally obtain data about installations. In their statement, they said that the amount of the fee would be determined based on "approximate" data. Of course, the way the data is calculated will not be made public in any way, in case you were wondering.
This means that they can ask for any amount and you have to trust them that it is correct.
There is no way this will stand up in court, even in the US, let alone in the EU.
This looks like another situation where the boss decided something without consulting the legal and IT departments.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
IMO ""joining chaos"" is silly, being gradually manipulated and corrupted into chaos makes more sense. See Magnus the Red story.
Agreed. Rogue trader should be more about the lure of the xeno than the fight against chaos anyway. Although a trader finding themselves unwittingly making less than legal deals with a chaos cult (without knowing they are a chaos cult) makes sense, and that could lead to corruption.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It seems there might be 3 play throught worth of content in the game with 3 paths you can take. Hopefully there is enough story differences as well for them and not just fluff.

Last edited:

skaraher

Cipher
IMO ""joining chaos"" is silly, being gradually manipulated and corrupted into chaos makes more sense. See Magnus the Red story.
Agreed. Rogue trader should be more about the lure of the xeno than the fight against chaos anyway. Although a trader finding themselves unwittingly making less than legal deals with a chaos cult (without knowing they are a chaos cult) makes sense, and that could lead to corruption.
Cults often need Rogue Traders to go to systems, get artifacts, deal with Chaos-Xenos, so they're generally pretty proactive in trying to corrupt and recruit RT.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's all laugh
At an industry,
That doesn't learn anything:
Tee hee hee hee

We have heard you.

We apologize for the confusion and angst the runtime fee policy we announced on Tuesday caused. We are listening, talking to our team members, community, customers, and partners, and will be making changes to the policy. We will share an update in a couple of days.

Thank you for your honest and critical feedback.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
BONUS: OperaGX making fun of them.

F6S8zqeXYAAVBVm

TheDarkUrge

Educated
shitty final act confirmed

again, for the third time straight
Based on what, the release date? I didn't really mind WOTRs ending. Kingmaker was quite bad though in that house of tedium. Then it picked up again for the final final part. It can't be worse than BG3's ending, that was just so depressing.

Also the Unity thing is overblown and I don't get the criticism for their new policy. I doubt it will impact Owlcat very much due to low installs. This is for the big mobile game devs that have billions in revenue and pay a measly sum for the license. Unity is going bankrupt while other companies profit off their engine, it's untenable for that to happen when they provide them the tools to do make their money.

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
shitty final act confirmed

again, for the third time straight
Based on what, the release date? I didn't really mind WOTRs ending. Kingmaker was quite bad though in that house of tedium. Then it picked up again for the final final part. It can't be worse than BG3's ending, that was just so depressing.

Also the Unity thing is overblown and I don't get the criticism for their new policy. I doubt it will impact Owlcat very much due to low installs. This is for the big mobile game devs that have billions in revenue and pay a measly sum for the license. Unity is going bankrupt while other companies profit off their engine, it's untenable for that to happen when they provide them the tools to do make their money.
I don't think you understand what this is about.
It's not about costs. If they wanted to, they could introduce a license like Unreal (5% of your revenue) and there would be no drama.

The problem is that they decided to do it in the worst way possible. Not only did they decide that this would apply even to already released games, but the number of installations would be counted retroactively. Let's ignore the fact that probably no one on this planet knows how it would work if they have never collected such data before.

You can never really tell how much you owe Unity.
The method of calculating installations is confidential and based on "estimates". In practice, this means that Unity can demand any amount and you have no way to question it.
This is literally a "trust me bro" situation.

Moreover, it is stupid for the game to generate costs more than once. In the worst case scenario, it may turn out that within a few years you will lose more than you earned on the copy of the game.
This is especially problematic in the case of small games that cost small amounts and games bought on sale.
Please remember that Steam takes 30% of what you get and then the rest is divided between the publisher and the studio.

This could potentially lead to a situation where you could potentially literally bankrupt the studio by installing the game multiple times on different virtual machines.
Of course, it would probably require the effort of at least a dozen people or botnet.
In addition, I bet that Unity has no way of recognizing pirated copies, so to quote a classic:
0ccvyPE.png

Unity currently has no LEGAL way to track installations (certainly not in the EU).

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The problem is that they decided to do it in the worst way possible. Not only did they decide that this would apply even to already released games, but the number of installations would be counted retroactively. Let's ignore the fact that probably no one on this planet knows how it would work if they have never collected such data before.
Not to mention it's dumb to base your commission on stuff that is
1) Not directly tied with actual revenue,
2) Not even fully controlled by the publisher/developer.
I don't really see how this could happen other than a retarded top level manager making a decision personally & ignoring every pro around him saying him not to be a retard.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I dont' see why a normal human would want to "join" the chaos if he has other choices. Being tricked is a more reasonable way storywise.

volklore

Arcane
I dont' see why a normal human would want to "join" the chaos if he has other choices. Being tricked is a more reasonable way storywise.
Lure of power, folly, Hubris, Heresy...
Chaos are literally sin incarnate. There are chaos marines in this universe are they not?
You guys have 0 imagination.

Last edited:

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You base your statement as someone who knows the lore, much of which is not considered common knowledge even among the knowlegable characters, let alone commoners.
And with boons like immortality etc. I can easily imagine even those who do realize the cost may choose to join willingly.
Plenty of other motivations one can think of, like revenge, or another sitation in which it may seem a lesser evil.
Also... Chaos is not that bad. ;) The game focuses on wars & mutations etc, but these entities are actually more complex and have less brutal & revolting aspects as well. For example, some remote human planet may worship a local god of honour which is actually Khorne, yet they are worshipping a different aspect of him and it just kind of works, without demons or corruption. After all, the immaterium is basically formed by beliefs, thoughts & emotion in Warhammer.

jf8350143

Liturgist
You base your statement as someone who knows the lore, much of which is not considered common knowledge even among the knowlegable characters, let alone commoners.
And with boons like immortality etc. I can easily imagine even those who do realize the cost may choose to join willingly.
Plenty of other motivations one can think of, like revenge, or another sitation in which it may seem a lesser evil.
Also... Chaos is not that bad. ;) The game focuses on wars & mutations etc, but these entities are actually more complex and have less brutal & revolting aspects as well. For example, some remote human planet may worship a local god of honour which is actually Khorne, yet they are worshipping a different aspect of him and it just kind of works, without demons or corruption. After all, the immaterium is basically formed by beliefs, thoughts & emotion in Warhammer.
The problem is that as a normal human you can't really get much from chaos. If you are a spacemarine or even primarch, sure. For a normal human if you have the power to get something meanful from chaos, generally it means you can get what you want through other methods anyway. Again being tricked, whether due to the lack of knowledge or being deceived by others, is normal, but willingly join the chaos is just bizzare.

frajaq

Erudite
The problem is that as a normal human you can't really get much from chaos. If you are a spacemarine or even primarch, sure. For a normal human if you have the power to get something meanful from chaos, generally it means you can get what you want through other methods anyway. Again being tricked, whether due to the lack of knowledge or being deceived by others, is normal, but willingly join the chaos is just bizzare.
SOMEONE didn't play Black Crusade games!

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Can you bang the sororita yet?
GTFO Larian cuck.

On the subject on cucking anyone find it weird that first the whole Camelie subversion and now the Eldar is platonic romance only while Deldar is gonna be fetish materials for women and Portlanders ?. Somebody has Ryan Johson'esque fetish for subversion it seems. I mean if i got nickel everytime straight heteroromance with Elven female was subverted i would have two nickels. not that much but im starting to see a bit of pattern.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom