Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

frajaq

Erudite
I dont' see why a normal human would want to "join" the chaos if he has other choices. Being tricked is a more reasonable way storywise.
You base your statement as someone who knows the lore, much of which is not considered common knowledge even among the knowlegable characters, let alone commoners.
And with boons like immortality etc. I can easily imagine even those who do realize the cost may choose to join willingly.
Plenty of other motivations one can think of, like revenge, or another sitation in which it may seem a lesser evil.
Also... Chaos is not that bad. ;) The game focuses on wars & mutations etc, but these entities are actually more complex and have less brutal & revolting aspects as well. For example, some remote human planet may worship a local god of honour which is actually Khorne, yet they are worshipping a different aspect of him and it just kind of works, without demons or corruption. After all, the immaterium is basically formed by beliefs, thoughts & emotion in Warhammer.
The problem is that as a normal human you can't really get much from chaos. If you are a spacemarine or even primarch, sure. For a normal human if you have the power to get something meanful from chaos, generally it means you can get what you want through other methods anyway. Again being tricked, whether due to the lack of knowledge or being deceived by others, is normal, but willingly join the chaos is just bizzare.
SOMEONE didn't play Black Crusade games!

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Can you bang the sororita yet?
GTFO Larian cuck.

On the subject on cucking anyone find it weird that first the whole Camelie subversion and now the Eldar is platonic romance only while Deldar is gonna be fetish materials for women and Portlanders ?. Somebody has Ryan Johson'esque fetish for subversion it seems. I mean if i got nickel everytime straight heteroromance with Elven female was subverted i would have two nickels. not that much but im starting to see a bit of pattern.

notpl

Arbiter
Wouldn't Drukhari avoid sexual degeneracy for the same reason they avoid sorcery? Strictly missionary with the lights off for the exclusive purpose of procreation?

lightbane

Arcane
I dont' see why a normal human would want to "join" the chaos if he has other choices. Being tricked is a more reasonable way storywise.
You base your statement as someone who knows the lore, much of which is not considered common knowledge even among the knowlegable characters, let alone commoners.
And with boons like immortality etc. I can easily imagine even those who do realize the cost may choose to join willingly.
Plenty of other motivations one can think of, like revenge, or another sitation in which it may seem a lesser evil.
Also... Chaos is not that bad. ;) The game focuses on wars & mutations etc, but these entities are actually more complex and have less brutal & revolting aspects as well. For example, some remote human planet may worship a local god of honour which is actually Khorne, yet they are worshipping a different aspect of him and it just kind of works, without demons or corruption. After all, the immaterium is basically formed by beliefs, thoughts & emotion in Warhammer.

The problem is that as a normal human you can't really get much from chaos. If you are a spacemarine or even primarch, sure. For a normal human if you have the power to get something meanful from chaos, generally it means you can get what you want through other methods anyway. Again being tricked, whether due to the lack of knowledge or being deceived by others, is normal, but willingly join the chaos is just bizzare.
You can get power from Chaos by getting "beneficial" mutations, being able to use magic or summon demons to do your bidding... It's not something available to the average peasant, sure, but it matters for those with plot relevance/Player Characters/Important NPCs.
You also can go against the Imperium but NOT join Chaos, becoming a renegade. This still will likely end up with you going into Chaos, but it's the thought that counts.
Lastly, some people may join because the Imperium took everything from them, or because a demon lured them to join in exchange of something (the life of a loved one), and they might even keep their word!
It depends on the writer. I'm not sure what happens if you worship a "good" aspect of Chaos, chances are you still end badly.

Wouldn't Drukhari avoid sexual degeneracy for the same reason they avoid sorcery? Strictly missionary with the lights off for the exclusive purpose of procreation?
They do degeneracy because they sacrifice the souls of others to keep Slaany at bay, or because they physically need to feel the pain of others to survive. It depends on the writer and the grimderp level. Either way, snu-snu with a Dark Eldar WILL kill you or mutilate you at minimum.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Chaos corrups slowly, it twists opinions and views little by little until it pushes the mind over the edge. It's not a "choice".

Horus made an objective choice to join Chaos, but that was fucking Horus. And even that one was after a year of Erebus most likely pushing along his doubts and fears over the Emperor's actions.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jae had to learn the difference between a handful of gold and a hand full of gold the hard way, but look at her now! When it comes to trade - she has a golden touch, and whenever she gives you a hand - it's worth its weight in gold.

F6YaECKX0AAi8Q4

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

They literally created a god of degenerate sex by having too much degenerate sex. And they haven't learned! Dumb shits.

I honestly hate how GW treats dark eldar and dark elves. They always get away with everything and never get their well-deserved purging. It reeks of favoritism.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

They literally created a god of degenerate sex by having too much degenerate sex. And they haven't learned! Dumb shits.

I honestly hate how GW treats dark eldar and dark elves. They always get away with everything and never get their well-deserved purging. It reeks of favoritism.
So, uh, Dark Eldar in That which rises when? :)

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

So, uh, Dark Eldar in That which rises when? :)

Funny story, but That Which Rises used to be called Heresy Simulator which was a 40k parody. Both eldar and their edgy cousins of course had a role, but it never got past prototyping.

1695161849392.png

skaraher

Cipher
Didnt read all the debates but lot of people fall to Chaos for obvious reason. It gives you power, opportunity to rise above your station, and an escape from the Imperium rigid hierarchy. If you're fighting the system for whatever reason, as a revolutionary or a secessionist, Chaos quickly ends up being your only alternative to being crushed by Imperial warmachine.

Most mutants for example live shitty lives at the bottom of the social hierarchy and are barred from any kind of ascension. The cults give them more of a chance at greatness than the Imperium ever will.

For a latent psyker, it's going rogue or spend the rest of your life as a shackled living weapon. Most psykers don't even survive the process to become sanctioned and are condemned to have their soul drinked by the emperor.

Maybe you are a planet governor who don't want to see the best men of your world being conscripted en masse to go fight Xenos at the other end of the galaxy in pointless wars.

Most peoples who turn to Chaos end up as pawn, forfeit their souls and are discarded in the name of another rise to power. But still, every servants of Chaos want to become the top dog. At the end of the road, there is the promise of immortality and daemonhood.

As Space Marines are murder-machine demigods without lowly human passions, they tend to be a lot more resistant to Chaos allure, barring extraordinary circumstances.

Its basic 40k lore since realm of chaos.

It's also the core drama of 40k human stories. The Imperium is a bloated, corrupt and brutal tyranny, but outside its protection it is a free for all anarchy where everyone is betraying each other and dancing at the tune of mad gods.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Guys, to truly understand why people fall for Chaos, you must understand the corrupting influence of Trump, Putin and their disinformation attacks. Only then will you be able to fully side with the Imperium.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I'm not sure what happens if you worship a "good" aspect of Chaos, chances are you still end badly.
Well there are examples in the lore & books of the whole planets worshipping Chaos gods in this way, and they are basically your normal human civilizations doing normal human stuff, without any demons, mutations or other weird stuff going on. They exist this way for milleniums before discovery and it takes some serious effort to even understand that they are actually Chaos worshippers, which is not obvious due to lack of your typical curruption signs. And those are not even individual charcaters but the whole planets. It ends badly of course once discovered by Imperials, but obviosuly not due to corruption. =)
Now, I'm not that well versed in the 40k literature, so I don't know of any source which explores this topic more thoroughly, since pretty much all of them focus on the marines, inquisitors and other obviously biased characters. Still, the abovementioned examples are there.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The sheer ignorance regarding the setting shown in this thread is staggering.
Honestly that's 40k fanbase in a nutshell.
The problem with 40k is that half the things GW have added to it are REALLY stupid, so you have to headcanon it at least a little bit.
This game is already doing more damage to the fan base than GW themselves ever could.
*The laughter of thirsting gods can be heard in the background*

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The problem with 40k is that half the things GW have added to it are REALLY stupid, so you have to headcanon it at least a little bit.

Which stupid things did they added? Besides TAU aka space commies?
The Horus Heresy novels.

Horus Heresy novels are heretical.

Pretty ironic if you think about it.

Here's a tip, don't try to humanize your super cool mythological characters. Especially don't do that with c-tier writers.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Which stupid things did they added? Besides TAU aka space commies?
Dreadknights, general custodes/primarch/etc powerbloat, stupid renaming (fkn aeldari I swar), necron rework, prob more stuff I am not grognard enough to know about.

I think tau are fine as long as the authors remember that they're a tiny empire out on the galactic fringe that only survive due to luck and/or eldar tricks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom