Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes. Dictionary = reality. No problems there. None.

@The_Mask (n.)

1. an internet nickname used by a complete tosser
2. a fool who doesn't understand the difference between connotation and denotation
3. the shit that sticks to you when you have a stomach virus

Hey look, it has everything!
Back in my day ad hominems would automatically discredit you for the rest of the debate, but I'm sure that this being the Internet, everyone will think you've won.
Back in my day, people would've understood why their first comment was stupid and not needed the reminder. Not that that helped either. Good work.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Stop the autism. Words acquire different meaning when used in different context. You know full well what romance means in regards to RPGs.
propaganda = information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular [political cause or] point of view.
If a point of view is propagated that conflicts with the dictionary/reality, then I guess the real issue is IQ, and how much are you willing to be dominated.
Damn son. Ok, I'll indulge you on such a trivial matter. Coupons les cheveux en quatre!

First, I agree with you that precise definitions matter. I just got back home from teaching a course on this very subject. But debates on definition are not always pertinent. In the context of our discussion, I was just making an offhand remark about an uppity attitude about anything related to sex and seduction. Even if I used a word wrongly, you could've caught the meaning in virtue of the context.

That said, I understand it's natural to be a bit defensive when your interlocutor, me in this case, is just doing a reductio ad absurdum of your point of view, seemingly mocking you. (Not my intent, btw.)

Ok, let's get to the heart of the matter.

dictionary/reality
They're not the same. A dictionary definition of a word is not a description of reality, it describes how the word has been used by speakers of the language. It is a lexical definition. And words have many uses, which is why there are often many meanings and many variations. Essential definitions, definition of a thing by what makes it so, are real definitions, and they are sometimes in dictionaries, but often not.

I'll give you an example from those you give yourself:
romance = a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love.
Now, you know the word 'romance' is not only used to mean a type of 'feeling'. In fact, we were talking about games, and 'romance' in this context is not a 'feeling' but a type of activity you can have in the game. Yes, it might evoke feelings, the two uses are related. Same as 'romance' in 'romance novel', it refers to a type of activity characters in the novel engage in, and, admittedly, the goal is also to arouse the reader.

So, one word, multiple uses and meanings. You can't just take the first definition that appears and think it gives you the full idea to understand what an interlocutor is meaning.

Now, about 'prude'. You go with this definition:
prude = a person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity.
There are others, very close in meaning, such as:
And that fits with what I meant.

Now, about 'puritan'. You go with this definition:
puritan = having or displaying censorious moral beliefs, especially about pleasure and sex.

You know, from the definition you gave, that the meanings of both words are close. Both refer to negative ideas about sex. That should've been enough. But let's go all the way.

There are many meanings of 'puritan'. The original one is this, yet is not very relevant:
A member of a group of English Protestants who in the 1500s and 1600s advocated strict religious discipline along with simplification of the ceremonies and creeds of the Church of England.

The one I meant is this one:
See how the meanings between 'prude' and 'puritan' are close? In fact, they are often used as synonyms in certain contexts.

bIpYHGD.jpg

I hope I have fully satisfied your autistic inquiry. No offense meant.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
I believe this is the first confimation that gee dubs vetoed Argenta romance:
V6DQ22w.png

incline.png
! One step closer towards TCD (Total Coomer Death).
Owlcat should just say they added the romance. I would love to see a second wave of tantrums after they realize it's still not a thing lol

mediocrepoet

Patron
I believe this is the first confimation that gee dubs vetoed Argenta romance:
V6DQ22w.png

incline.png
! One step closer towards TCD (Total Coomer Death).
Owlcat should just say they added the romance. I would love to see a second wave of tantrums after they realize it's still not a thing lol
I love it when devs troll the playerbase. Just not even confirming, being like: there are many situations in the game and in developing your relationships with each of your companions that may be difficult to find. But we think we've done a fine job of supporting all player preferences. Believe me, we've heard what you want! ;)

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Considering gays are like 5% of the population they are lucky they got 1 out of 4 options.. it should have been zero.
I am glad Owlcat stuck to their guns and lore and story and didn't turn everyone into bisexual vampire bear fuckers.

But more interesting tidbit from that interview is that we are getting a Kroot companion in one of the DLCs
More like 0,5%. Those 5-10% numbers are nothing but propaganda without any basis.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Progresives: All Russians are scum if they dont storm Kremlin with their bare hands the moment we demand it. And as such deserve to die.
Also Progresives: Why ARENT THEY BEING AS POZZED AS THEY WERE BEFORE REEEEEEE.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now, you know the word 'romance' is not only used to mean a type of 'feeling'. In fact, we were talking about games, and 'romance' in this context is not a 'feeling' but a type of activity you can have in the game. Yes, it might evoke feelings, the two uses are related. Same as 'romance' in 'romance novel', it refers to a type of activity characters in the novel engage in, and, admittedly, the goal is also to arouse the reader.
You are contorting the meaning of the word "romance" to suit your agenda. You're basically just a very smart version of the previous guy that tried to argue what romance is. And I'm forced to point to you exactly what I pointed out to him:

romance is a feeling of excitement related to love

It is NOT fucking bears, cunts, pederasts and everything in-between, on my screen.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
You are contorting the meaning of the word "romance" to suit your agenda. You're basically just a very smart version of the previous guy that tried to argue what romance is. And I'm forced to point to you exactly what I pointed out to him:

It is NOT fucking bears, cunts, pederasts and everything in-between, on my screen.
So i found certain ork tool, i think its named Gitfinda, can anyone tell me why its constantly pointing to Ismaul ?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

What?

I'm not contorting anything. When we speak of "romances" in a game, we're not speaking about a feeling but a type of activity/gameplay in that game.

I never said anything about fucking bears or any sort of in-game activity in particular, but clearly you're attributing something to me that you're very butthurt about.

mediocrepoet

Patron

What?

I'm not contorting anything. When we speak of "romances" in a game, we're not speaking about a feeling but a type of activity/gameplay in that game.

I never said anything about fucking bears or any sort of in-game activity in particular, but clearly you're attributing something to me that you're very butthurt about.
What? You don't normally fall in love with the make believe characters in your game? You're too well adjusted for this conversation!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
When we speak of "romances" in a game, we're not speaking about a feeling but a type of activity/gameplay in that game.
Romance is gameplay. Good tactic. Let's see if it works for you.
I'm starting to think you're being daft on purpose, or a retard.

When a dev puts romance in a game, he's not putting in a feeling. He's putting in a type of interaction with NPCs, an activity, something you do in a game, which, you know, we call gameplay. FFS

Also, you've shifted the discussion from "prude", because you know you have no leg to stand on. Now you're going for some other dumb word I have to explain to you. Swallow your pride, learn, and move on.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Interesting news for RT DLCs.

At the very least I hope this means they'll do more than one companion addon this time, there's a lot they could do here.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Side stories are fine but only if we are talking a full-size add-on, which is at least half the size of the original.
Small dlcs are just too small for any decent RPG story & gameplay imho, thus they only work when expanding the original.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, you've shifted the discussion from "prude", because you know you have no leg to stand on. Now you're going for some other dumb word I have to explain to you. Swallow your pride, learn, and move on.
Missed opportunity to tell him to swallow his prude, disappointing.
Also, I'm not entirely sure romance can be considered a gameplay element when it is represented by discrete parts which are standalone gameplay elements(dialog trees, combat, quest system and all) if that makes sense.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
jesus they're slow

The response to the Kingmaker DLCs should've clued them in as to what people wanted. Not to mention the multitude of surveys they've done over the last five years.

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never switched the discussion from prude, because you've never convinced me you know its definition.

Just because you know the history of a word, that doesn't mean you can ignore its meaning today.

The_Mask

Patron
Also, I'm not entirely sure romance can be considered a gameplay element when it is represented by discrete parts which are standalone gameplay elements(dialog trees, combat, quest system and all) if that makes sense.
If romances are gameplay, then fucking a bear is peak design.

Ismaul, Codex 2023: A Real Argument

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3746488908439676428
Religion and Synthesizers
Every component of a game matters. An engaging story, believable and memorable characters, balanced gameplay, unique features, and an impressive visual aesthetic are all prominent aspects that grab players’ attention. However, there’s one more element that binds everything together and brings immersion to the next level. Music and sound design are one of our studio’s signature touches. Today we’re going to tell you a little about this process and all the creative and inventive ways our composers used sound and music to bring Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader to life. We now go over to
Paweł Perepelica
, one of the project’s composers and the writers of the game’s main theme.

The Main Theme
Every track of the game’s musical score was the result of long and meticulous work. Each theme went through a strict vetting process both at our studio and Games Workshop. It took us about five months to find the right sound for the main theme. The other composers and I tried many different versions, scrapping the ones we disliked, trying again and again. That search left me with some extra time on my hands, which I put to use getting started on the game’s space battle themes. One of those themes became a sudden hit and caught everyone’s attention, so much so that a decision was made to transform this track into the main theme.
As a long-time Warhammer fan, I’ve always wanted to work on something set in this universe. Imagine my excitement when I got the offer one day to work on Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, finally having a chance to turn my ideas into reality! I always knew that if I were to write music for the Warhammer universe, I’d make sure to try and bring together two things: religion and synthesizers! Those two words are what come to mind when I imagine music from Warhammer 40,000.

The choir is the main theme’s centerpiece. For the orchestral version, we recorded a live professional choir. But here’s a fun fact: for the earlier version, I used my own voice layered on top of itself several times over. We needed the choir to sound natural and human, which you don’t always achieve with digital samples. That’s why in the beta, as well as in the version of this track shared earlier on YouTube, the vocals you hear are mine. A choir of Paweł Perepelica clones, if you will.

0.jpg

Vídeo do YouTube™: Main Theme | Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
Visualizações: 127.941
You saw our heroes, our villains, and our setting. They fit perfectly into the universe we’ve created. But let us put our music to the test this time!
0.jpg

Vídeo do YouTube™: Main Theme - Live Choir | Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader
Visualizações: 31.410
Music is one of the key features that weave a captivating atmosphere. In a setting whose ambience has won the hearts of thousands, such details are especially important.

I used many vintage analogue synths from the 1980s during recording. They have a very unique sound, owing partly to the old hardware, a kind they don’t make anymore. One of those was the legendary Polivoks. Over the years, it’s been used by such famous artists as Rammstein, Goldfrapp, and Mick Gordon (who used it in the soundtrack to the 2016 reboot of Doom, among other things.)

Music for the Rogue Trader
The setting of Rogue Trader is somewhat unusual as Warhammer titles go. Back when we started working on the soundtrack, we had something more classical in mind, with more strings and other “organic” instruments. Then, however, we realised the music had to sound a little more “unpolished” and “rough.” Dramatic grandeur (provided by the choir, an organ, and other components typical of religious music) had to be complemented with something obscurely down-to-earth. That approach was received well by us, by Games Workshop, and, as we can see, by you, the audience.
We tried to preserve the grand atmosphere of Warhammer 40,000 that fans adore while also adding something new: that “unpolished” quality I mentioned along with some other unusual sounds. For example, our music is rich in various types of percussion. It has unexpected instruments along with some scraping and clanging. This is true of the entire soundtrack, not just the main theme. The music isn’t all about grandeur (which of course it can’t do without); there’s a more down-to-earth side to it as well. It’s likewise about a motley crew of characters who accompany the player throughout the entire game. It’s about the lives of lowly commoners. It’s about our voidship and the places it will take us to, the most fantastic and grim corners of the universe. And it’s about the enigmatic xenos.
We mixed and matched a lot, and used every means available to create a hybrid soundtrack. Aside from the choir, the synths, and classical strings, I used traditional instruments from a variety of cultures in a few tracks (such as a banjo, a hammered dulcimer, and a bouzouki). I processed them in order to give them a “broken” sound that’s evocative of a dieselpunk aesthetic. I experimented a lot with recordings of everyday objects around me, including coins, keys — and even a moonshine still!

There was even a bowed string instrument I crafted myself out of a tin can, a string, and a couple of wooden planks. We used that one a lot in the Footfall track.

Every World Sounds Different
We had a different approach for each of the settings, aiming for a soundtrack that players would instantly associate with whatever surroundings or situation they were in at any given moment. The game features a great variety of worlds and locations, and we used every possible artistic means to reflect how out of the ordinary they are — whether it be the voidship, Footfall, the alien jungle of Janus, or any of the other biomes and settings. Each of them is unique, with its own distinctness and charisma, which we sought to highlight through the music.
Metallic clangs were one of the soundtrack’s fundamentals (and every one of our guidelines said as much.) A technique I used often was impulse response reverb. In simple terms, I’d take the sound of something striking a metal pipe and blend it with the sound of a French horn. The result was a strange metallic sound that resembled singing (“singing pipes” was how I referred to it myself.) This effect appears most in tracks we hear when we’re on our voidship. The Rogue Trader’s ship is a hulking mass of metal which at the same time is practically a living being. We felt that its machinery had to have a peculiar singing voice of its own, and it would be great for the soundtrack to reflect that. In the name of the Omnissiah, obviously.

d83aefc4906f9a829b300470b60d77256d3d25b5.png

Footfall is a hub of sorts, full of people and bustle. Deals are constantly being brokered; schemes are being run. That’s why Footfall music contains, among other things, the sound of coins and the metallic noises of moving augmetics.

16bda1062b89c679e2a0a00fd6a43efe3d8faef1.jpg

Janus is an entirely different place, a fascinating alien forest. I spent a long time finding a unique touch for this setting’s combat music. Normally, for a forest theme, the choice of instruments tends to be on the more classical, strings-and-winds side. Our forest isn’t typical at all. On top of being visually quite different from most of the game’s locations, I thought that adding a bit of contrast in the music would be awesome. Something organic but also unnatural, crossing a little into “electronica.”

I used a didgeridoo, an Aboriginal Australian wind instrument with a very peculiar sound. However, rather than to use it unaltered, I blended it with my own voice to make it sound like someone singing in a didgeridoo voice. Eventually, the team decided that the resulting sound carried the wrong associations when featured prominently in the tracks, seemingly echoing the culture of an indigenous tribe. But the sound did remain in the background, creating a strange sense of something DIFFERENT.

The Experiments Continue
Creating the Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader soundtrack has been a long process of searching, recording, and vetting. As is often the case, this type of work is an adventure, one where experimenting, failing, and starting again are all part of the process. Aside from the composers and the sound design team, the project’s creative team, its team of producers, and Games Workshop have also taken part in developing the music and sound design, each making their own contributions. On your journeys as a Rogue Trader across the vast number of the alien worlds, we hope you find them and their music as enjoyable and captivating as we did!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom