Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh God these guys are still at it, like two angry fishwives :D
shut up. we can watch this "romance" thingy first hand right now.
Being daft on purpose: a Codexian game design choice.

Will indie developers ever implement it?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Many Codexers in denial about this.

The thing is their "side story" sucks balls

The entirety of Through the Ashes has less story content than Chapter 1 of the game base game and is just as long due to sort of puzzle like gameplay. Not to mention the characters ended up being incredibly bland and the whole campaign reeks of wasted potential.

Varnhold's lot while excellent is once again like 85 - 90% dungeon crawl. The tavern + werewolf thing was nice and I wished they could take its quest design to the future (they don't, mostly) but once again most of the plot are flat once you step in the mega-dungeon.

It's not surprising that player prefer to play main content because as designed the side-stories feels like a chore. Too short to feel meaningful, too long without meaningful content.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Also, I'm not entirely sure romance can be considered a gameplay element when it is represented by discrete parts which are standalone gameplay elements(dialog trees, combat, quest system and all) if that makes sense.
So you accept that when a dev designs a romance for a game he's designing a feeling he puts in the game, like that masked retard claims?

You might not want to call a romance gameplay, because for some reason some people on the dex don't want to consider all activites that you do in a game 'gameplay', for example dialogue or leveling up, but don't you agree with the other descriptors I gave: "a type of interaction with NPCs, an activity, something you do in a game"? If so, please stop agruing pointless semantics, it leads nowhere useful.

Camel

Scholar
Side stories are fine but only if we are talking a full-size add-on, which is at least half the size of the original.
That was called an expansion or add-on in the past but they were replaced by small DLCs. I think the last true expansion was Awakening for DA:O. I’m not holding my breath for DLCs from Owlcat.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Side stories are fine but only if we are talking a full-size add-on, which is at least half the size of the original.
That was called an expansion or add-on in the past but they were replaced by small DLCs. I think the last true expansion was Awakening for DA:O. I’m not holding my breath for DLCs from Owlcat.
I think you can safely put both DLCs for Witcher 3 (especially second) in this category

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The entirety of Through the Ashes has less story content than Chapter 1 of the game base game and is just as long due to sort of puzzle like gameplay. Not to mention the characters ended up being incredibly bland and the whole campaign reeks of wasted potential.

Varnhold's lot while excellent is once again like 85 - 90% dungeon crawl. The tavern + werewolf thing was nice and I wished they could take its quest design to the future (they don't, mostly) but once again most of the plot are flat once you step in the mega-dungeon.

It's not surprising that player prefer to play main content because as designed the side-stories feels like a chore. Too short to feel meaningful, too long without meaningful content.

Maybe so, but it doesn't change the fact that having to replay the game apparently isn't as much a dealbreaker as many people assume.

Shaki

Arbiter

Maybe so, but it doesn't change the fact that having to replay the game apparently isn't as much a dealbreaker as many people assume.
I think it will depend on how many DLCs they make tho. Replaying a big RPG 1-2 times is pretty common in the fanbase, and it makes sense to wait for the main story DLC to do it. But if they suddenly would have all 6 DLC purely for the main story, I doubt majority of people would want to replay the whole game that many times.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

I think it will depend on how many DLCs they make tho. Replaying a big RPG 1-2 times is pretty common in the fanbase, and it makes sense to wait for the main story DLC to do it. But if they suddenly would have all 6 DLC purely for the main story, I doubt majority of people would want to replay the whole game that many times.

It is also nature of Owlcat games having "choice locked" content, alignment in Kigmaker, Mythic Path in WOTR, and now the 3 alignment thingie (which definitely choice lock some stuff based on beta) for Rogue Traders.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
But if they suddenly would have all 6 DLC purely for the main story, I doubt majority of people would want to replay the whole game that many times.
They could add extra content for main game that comes after main game is finished or before finishing the game, so you could just load your save and experice the content.. Expansions like Trepasser or Awakening from Dragon age while adding classes, spellls , etc into the main game.

So they could release early DLCs into the main game then when their games are a year old or more, they start release post ending dlc content to give people a little more of the game

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So you accept that when a dev designs a romance for a game he's designing a feeling he puts in the game, like that masked retard claims?

You might not want to call a romance gameplay, because for some reason some people on the dex don't want to consider all activites that you do in a game 'gameplay', for example dialogue or leveling up, but don't you agree with the other descriptors I gave: "a type of interaction with NPCs, an activity, something you do in a game"? If so, please stop agruing pointless semantics, it leads nowhere useful.
"It was a gameplay element that you couldn't read Fall-From-Grace's diary in P:T" - Ismaul, 2023.

If your younger self would see you now, he'd punch you in the nutz.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
I don't trust a grown man who does video game romances. If I had to choose between letting a sexually active pedophile or an rpg romance enjoyer sleep on the couch with my children in the house, I'd choose the former for sure.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I don't trust a grown man who does video game romances. If I had to choose between letting a sexually active pedophile or an rpg romance enjoyer sleep on the couch with my children in the house, I'd choose the former for sure.
The first one is dangerous to others, the second one is simply pathetic and dangerous only to himself.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If I had to choose between letting a sexually active pedophile or an rpg romance enjoyer sleep on the couch with my children in the house, I'd choose the former for sure.
Marriage ok man? You sleeping on the couch?

I guess we've been institutionalized. Every RPG thread is now about romances, gay romances, straight romances, tranny romances, bear romances... Remember when games used to be about cool shit, and romances were for women reading romance novels? Yeah...

Rhobar121

Scholar
I guess we've been institutionalized. Every RPG thread is now about romances, gay romances, straight romances, tranny romances, bear romances... Remember when games used to be about cool shit, and romances were for women reading romance novels? Yeah...
Thank Bioware nicely for bg2 because that's when it all started.

I've been saying for years (decades now, oh God im approaching Crispy territory, hold on gonna go cry in the bathroom for a bit), that BG2 was the starter of so much decline.

BG1, no romances, BG2 romances.
BG1, pseudo open world, BG2, hub-based structure (started this shit also).
BG1, down to earth fantasy, BG2 epic shit every 2 fucking steps.
BG1, interesting plot with intrigue and mysteries, BG2, emo whiny villain going on and on about some bs you dont care about.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron

jaekl

Learned
Patron

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

a wiz.png

Lamiosa

Educated
The moment a dev team write a romance in one of their games it's over, it's a cancer without any way to remove it, because that means losing money. Just look at Rogue Trader's subreddit today (don't actually do that), more than half the posts are about romance, complaining they want more of them. Most posts in the threads starts with, "we are not comparing RT to BG3, we just want more romances..." (they're actually comparing them though). Other highly upvoted demands are same number of gay romances as straight ones (apparently it's "the expected these days"), "my friends said they will not buy the game anymore after learning there is only one male gay romance", etc. I mean, who wouldn't ask for it? Obviously 40k is worldwide known for it's super gay romances. I imagine that eventually most crpgs will have all fuckable playersexual companions, so expect BG3 companions personalities only from now on. It was a good run, but it's over.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
I imagine that eventually most crpgs will have all fuckable playersexual companions, so expect BG3 companions personalities only from now on. It was a good run, but it's over.
Have people not played Bioware games before, thinking Larian invented this shit? KotOR (2003) was the last game they did where romanceable NPCs had a fixed orientation, after that there always were playersexual NPCs, AFAIK.

This is nothing new, aside from the ideology now behind it, which admittedly is cancer.

You could say it was always about giving players what they want, about fan service, it's just the player base has expanded into the mainstream, and fans and devs have become increasingly ideologically corrupted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom