Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I dislike how the characters run in the trailer. It is the same running and walking animations from Kingmaker. Two more games in, and they improved nothing regarding this. It always looked goofy.
That's the only thing you dislike? Game must be GOTY then.

I dislike a lot of things about the game and owl cat. But I thought with the relative success of WoTR, they would invest more in proper modeling and animations. Nope, they are using the same skeleton rigs from kingmaker: Gorilla slouch posture, running like you are riding an invisible bicycle etc. Cheap fucks.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hopefully - I asked on the devs Discord when is the Alpha finally going to drop and the answers I got were along the lines of "maybe this year, maybe not."

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
A universe where the worst atrocities happen every second of every day and some codextards biggest fear is... if there is a tranny. :smug:
A valid fear in the 40k setting as not only is such a person obviously very vulnerable to the temptations of slaneesh, but it goes against the imperiums desire to see its populace fucking like rabbits to keep pumping out babies to serve as cannon fodder or factory grunts.

40k is unironically one of the most hostile sci fi settings i know of when it comes to being trans, can see maybe a member of a decadent nobility getting away with it as long as the planet is paying its tithes perfectly so that it never invites closer scrutiny but that's about it.
Not that I'm sure there wouldn't be some idiotic BL authors trying to gleefully insert that sort of bs even though it really doesn't fit.

lightbane

Arcane
40k is unironically one of the most hostile sci fi settings i know of when it comes to being trans, can see maybe a member of a decadent nobility getting away with it as long as the planet is paying its tithes perfectly so that it never invites closer scrutiny but that's about it.
Not that I'm sure there wouldn't be some idiotic BL authors trying to gleefully insert that sort of bs even though it really doesn't fit.
Funny thing is that if you have the right connections/money, I bet it's perfectly possible to change sex at will, due for example having psychic powers that let you just do that, amongst other stuff such as growing wings, so perhaps a rich noble could ask a psyker to do that for him (of course, all of that is likely risky anyway). Being a tranny/herm would be seen as a fully degenerate, pointless act and everyone reacts to that accordingly.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
In other news, the devs just rulled out that the player character could be a psyker on Discord - citing "close co-operation with GW" as a reason (which I read as sticking to the RT PnP rules).

Plus also being a psyker is not that great tbh fam.

1668863735648.png

Last edited:

ChildInTime

Learned
In other news, the devs just rulled out that the player character could be a psyker on Discord - citing "close co-operation with GW" as a reason (which I read as sticking to the RT PnP rules).

Plus also being a psyker is not that great tbh fam.
Edit: yeah, no, learn to read - there is some guy (who is a 'beloved founder') claiming that, but nothing official.

Kadaeux
e9a158706f820fce863911f3f4a226b3.webp

Bear in mind, they're working closely with GW here. Thus it is extremely unlikely the main character will be able to be a psyker.

Kadaeux

Not really. Cringe would be allowing Rogue Traders to be psykers in an Imperium where if you're a Psyker, you're either an Inquisitor, Fuel for the Golden Throne, or literally property.

If you're a Astropath or Sanctioned Psyker (the only non-Inquisitor psykers allowed) you're literally a slave. You go where you're told in accordance with orders from the Adeptus Astra Telepathica.

Kadaeux

Which is why I said unlikely. If there is an Inquisitorial background option where you are an Inquisitor, it's theoretically possible.

So it isn't impossible lorewise, I just really don't see an Inquisitor background being allowed.
So it's a blah blah my granny said blah blah.

Last edited:

Peachcurl

Cipher
The "original RT rules don't allow it" argument is at least somewhat consistent, but arguing it's impossible because something something "literally a slave" is bullshit. 99.9999% of the human population in W40k are "literally slaves", doesn't mean an (also human) Rogue Trader can't have quite a bit of personal freedom.

Last edited:

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
looks way too cartoony

Making games with any art style other than "cartoonish like WoW" is against the traditional values of russian culture.
what about cyprus culture?

Jokes aside, this situation is indeed quite ironic. There probably is no other country with so many people unironicaly taking the "politics" of WH40K so seriously.

Take this guy for example:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32283456

Inside another group of kids are learning how to handle weapons - firing blanks down an empty hall way to improve their aim.
This after-school club is ostensibly part of a drugs prevention programme: a programme of evening activities with a patriotic military slant, aimed at keeping local kids away from drinking and shooting up.
But for the club's organiser, Stepan Zotov, it is much more than that.
It is an invisible army getting ready to defend the Fatherland.

"This rise in patriotic feeling during the last years must have had a foundation. And we are this foundation," he explains with a gleam in his eye.
"For the last 10 years, clubs like ours have worked tirelessly, fanatically I could say, to raise a generation of young people who believe in the mission and idea of Great Russia."
And now there is an actual war to fight in - the conflict in Eastern Ukraine, or Novorossiya as these patriots call it.
Stepan does not hide the fact that he and some of his cadets have been there to fight.

_82315529_stepanzotov.jpg

1668884055132.png

1668883463772.png

I played Warhammer with this guy. Got rekt by his Grey Knights every single time, not gonna lie. His entire worldview seems to be based on Wh40k.

He published some kind of philosophy book called "Imperium of Man"

1668883386768.png

And now he is publishing his own WH40K fanfiction

1668883555993.png

Recently he held a writing competion called "Imperium for children" aimed at younger readers

1668883661178.png

And he runs a summer camp for children called "Space marines"

1668883759619.png

Just how in a country populated by mostly reactionary chuds and various shitlords Owlcat managed to gather a team exclusively of soyjaks and dangerhairs least
suitable to adapting Wh40k?

Finally a WH40k game made by eastern europeans and it is no different than Bioware or any other western dev. This is just so ... anticlimactic.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
The "original RT rules don't allow it" argument is at least be somewhat consistent, but arguing it's impossible because something something "literally a slave" is bullshit. 99.9999% of the human population in W40k are "literally slaves", doesn't mean an (also human) Rogue Trader can't have quite a bit of personal freedom.

Yeah, uncovering weird shit is part of Rogue Trader experience, they find some tainted xeno relic that can unlock Pyschic Powers, and if you choose to do so the Puritans of your squad will get really pissed at you. Can totally see something like that happening

Vermillion

Educated
The "original RT rules don't allow it" argument is at least be somewhat consistent, but arguing it's impossible because something something "literally a slave" is bullshit. 99.9999% of the human population in W40k are "literally slaves", doesn't mean an (also human) Rogue Trader can't have quite a bit of personal freedom.

Yeah, uncovering weird shit is part of Rogue Trader experience, they find some tainted xeno relic that can unlock Pyschic Powers, and if you choose to do so the Puritans of your squad will get really pissed at you. Can totally see something like that happening
There's rules already for any class to become a Psyker spontaneously... Spoiler alert: you tend to explode.

lightbane

Arcane

This could happen, yes, but the general outcome is...

There's rules already for any class to become a Psyker spontaneously... Spoiler alert: you tend to explode.
That. Same case if you take the "rogue psyker" origin thing. "Non-licensed" psykers are daemon fodder for a reason, if the Inquisition doesn't take you in first for your own good (and everyone else), lest you spontenously become a portal to hell at any time. Trained psykers aren't much better at that to boot, but at least they have some training to avoid becoming a hellspawn randomly.

Peachcurl

Cipher
That. Same case if you take the "rogue psyker" origin thing. "Non-licensed" psykers are daemon fodder for a reason, if the Inquisition doesn't take you in first for your own good (and everyone else), lest you spontenously become a portal to hell at any time. Trained psykers aren't much better at that to boot, but at least they have some training to avoid becoming a hellspawn randomly.

I'm pretty sure a Rogue Trader could have the resources to get their "talented" offspring trained in secret. Risky? Sure. Impossible? No.

Also, while especially powerful psykers are very unstable, the setting allows for undetected, untrained psykers with minor talents living unbothered for quite a good while. There's examples in several novels, take for instance soldier Milo from Gaunt's Ghosts.

Vermillion

Educated
Am I the only one that thinks that having your character explode as a consequence of making certain decisions is hilarious? They should totally do it. :P
Yea, also lock cheevos behind ironman mode so everyone can see which idiots locked themselves onto the chaos route punctuated by a boltgun to the temple.

lightbane

Arcane
I'm pretty sure a Rogue Trader could have the resources to get their "talented" offspring trained in secret. Risky? Sure. Impossible? No.
For offspring? Sure. For RTs themselves? Much harder, as they have to do their job and combining it with training should be difficult, and we were talking about psychic RTs.

Also, while especially powerful psykers are very unstable, the setting allows for undetected, untrained psykers with minor talents living unbothered for quite a good while.

Sure, but they're still a risk, and again we were talking about RTs, people that are above the norm. Even if they have minor psychic talent, someone amongst their circle of influence would likely pick up something very quickly. Having Astropaths and Navigators (that can and do detect other psykers) as part of the crew is also near-mandatory.

Peachcurl

Cipher
For offspring? Sure. For RTs themselves? Much harder, as they have to do their job and combining it with training should be difficult, and we were talking about psychic RTs.
Yes, the training should probably happen before they inherit the charter, which shouldn't be a big issue. RTs have the funds to grow quite old, thus giving them enough time to get a heir trained before death. Getting the training in secret is the much bigger issue.

Having Astropaths and Navigators (that can and do detect other psykers) as part of the crew is also near-mandatory.
Good points, but still not impossible odds to beat. Not all psykers can detect other psykers. Could also have a blank present whenever interaction with other psykers in the crew becomes necessary. Or not interact with them directly at all. Claim piety as a reason, or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom