Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vermillion

Educated
I'll end up bringing the Ranger all the time anyway because I'm a sucker for Eldar.
Going by these lore snippets, seems like Pasqal and Abelard will be my goto companions.
Depending on the party size (Teaser implies it was surprisingly large) I'd run Cassia, Yrliet, and Argenta because it should give a fairly balanced party and will probably have the most party interactions if WoTR is any indication. I'd definitely swap them out for Abelard or Pasqal as the situation calls. The former feels like the closes to Regil (one of the better written companions by Owlcat's record and guaranteed to fit the tone of 40k).
Knowing Owlcat
Knowing Owlcat of course they'll make poor decisions. What the fuck were they thinking with that second round of dlc? The only option remotely interesting is Through the Ashes part 2 and that's because I actually like the low level gameplay. The rest? A "Citadel style" dlc? That worked for Mass Effect because they had 3 games to make players care about the characters, and the series had basically degenerated into a dating sim by that point, as far as the fanbase was concerned.

Trithne

Erudite
I'll end up bringing the Ranger all the time anyway because I'm a sucker for Eldar.
Going by these lore snippets, seems like Pasqal and Abelard will be my goto companions.
Depending on the party size (Teaser implies it was surprisingly large) I'd run Cassia, Yrliet, and Argenta because it should give a fairly balanced party and will probably have the most party interactions if WoTR is any indication. I'd definitely swap them out for Abelard or Pasqal as the situation calls. The former feels like the closes to Regil (one of the better written companions by Owlcat's record and guaranteed to fit the tone of 40k).
Knowing Owlcat
Knowing Owlcat of course they'll make poor decisions. What the fuck were they thinking with that second round of dlc? The only option remotely interesting is Through the Ashes part 2 and that's because I actually like the low level gameplay. The rest? A "Citadel style" dlc? That worked for Mass Effect because they had 3 games to make players care about the characters, and the series had basically degenerated into a dating sim by that point, as far as the fanbase was concerned.

If it's 3 companions, then I suspect I'd end up running Yrliet, a slot for either Argenta/Abelard, and a slot for either Pasqual/Cassia, swapping between those depending on circumstance. But fuck knows if that'll work when the game's actually out.

Don't give a shit about romance arcs or whatever, avoid them like the plague. Character interactions are cool though.

kangaxx

Arbiter
If it's 3 companions, then I suspect I'd end up running Yrliet, a slot for either Argenta/Abelard, and a slot for either Pasqual/Cassia, swapping between those depending on circumstance. But fuck knows if that'll work when the game's actually out.

Don't give a shit about romance arcs or whatever, avoid them like the plague. Character interactions are cool though.
Owlcat's characters seem to have a tendency to force themselves on you though, so prepare to use the bug spray.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A "Citadel style" dlc? That worked for Mass Effect because they had 3 games to make players care about the characters, and the series had basically degenerated into a dating sim by that point, as far as the fanbase was concerned.
They made the Citadel DLC because it was the most popular option in their poll. This is what their core fanbase wants.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
can't wait for the sister of battle romance, where shortly before you have your first time, she confides in you that 5 years ago the entirety of the imperial guard barracks on cuckusaurus XVI ran a train on her.
Well if the guard tried it would probably have ended like this:
d1k440a-5af735c5-7b10-4fac-89fd-c935afa9ca94.png

:smug:
>Commissars talking shit to Sisters of Battle
> Even though they both come from the Schola
> Even though they are from different branches and the Commissar knows full well how much influence they have (because of the Church).

Absolute lorelet reddit shit. 1/10, would brand as heretical.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
an actual mule
This got me to thinking of how many games let you trade out party members for actual mules. Dungeon Siege 2 is the only one I can remember playing. I had my main fighter and the rest of the slots filled with mules to carry my loot.

Vermillion

Educated
A "Citadel style" dlc? That worked for Mass Effect because they had 3 games to make players care about the characters, and the series had basically degenerated into a dating sim by that point, as far as the fanbase was concerned.
They made the Citadel DLC because it was the most popular option in their poll. This is what their core fanbase wants.
Weren't Owlcat caught lying about or outright ignoring their own polls to do what they want? I took part in that poll too, it was obvious which options would count. They just wanted people to think their imput made any difference.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Weren't Owlcat caught lying about or outright ignoring their own polls to do what they want? I took part in that poll too, it was obvious which options would count. They just wanted people to think their imput made any difference.
They said the first two DLCs were already in production when they made the poll, and it only had effect on the third one (and a fabulously optimistic season three).

Jorus

Educated
New companion (They're stopping here and not revealing any more companions for the moment): Heinrix van Calox
FiVnI27WIAEkh2a

Rogue Traders fear little. Their unbelievable wealth and unquestioned might ensure their will is always respected and their goals always reached. Yet there is but one power that stands above them – the power called the Holy Orders of the Emperor's Inquisition, whose only purpose is to identify and destroy the vilest of threats to the Imperium of Man. Agents of the Golden Throne are wary of Rogue Traders, whose overconfidence and lack of restraint could lead to damnation and, consequently, to unimaginable ruin. So grave is this concern that a cautious Inquisitor may deem it necessary to post one of his own on board the voidship of an especially recalcitrant Rogue Trader – to watch and to assess in order to either respectfully usher the lost ship back into the fold or mercilessly cull the heretic if they are deemed hopeless.

Interrogator Heinrix van Calox is a sanctioned psyker – a living weapon of the Inquisition, an example of the vile power of the warp, bound and controlled by the vigorous training and unbending will of the man himself. Many twists and turns of fate brought van Calox from his Knight world home to the service of the Ordo Xenos, with his diverse specialties and formidable psychic powers making him indispensable in the eyes of his pre-eminent mentor. It is this high-standing and powerful individual who set Heinrix on a mission of his own – one that eventually led the Interrogator to meet the Rogue Trader.

While Heinrix is focused on the Inquisition’s goals in the Koronus Expanse, the sudden task of joining the retinue of the almighty Lord Captain will prove a challenge of its own. After all, the mere sight of the crowd around a privileged Rogue Trader can make any loyal Imperial agent’s blood boil, let alone the arduous task of tolerating heretics and xenos by one’s side day after day. Still, there is something important about this particular Rogue Trader, something that urges the Inquisition to stay the hand of judgement and forces van Calox to endure more than his fair share of questionable decisions from the Lord Captain.

The Interrogator may have his doubts about the situation, but for now he hides them behind his respectful yet cold demeanour. After all, his main purpose on this very voidship is to watch and see whether this remarkable show of trust will prove fruitful. For if the Rogue Trader ends up worth the travail, they could prove to be the Inquisition’s most useful asset in the Koronus Expanse. Otherwise, the Lord Captain might soon discover that van Calox’s mask of noble politeness and dutiful deference is but a shackle on the psychic storm ready to be unleashed upon the heads of the unworthy.

I've been playing Darktide and whilst that game has a lot of faults it gets the visuals of 40k so right that it really highlights just how much of a travesty the art style of this game is.

I would've sold several of my organs and my first born child for the Bioware that made Baldur's Gate, KotoR, and Jade Empire or the Obisdian who made KotOR 2, FNV, and NwN2 to make a 40k RPG using the Dark Heresy d100 rules with decent visuals that actually evoke the grim darkness of the 41st millennium. As opposed to whatever this crap is designed to attract the sort of people who think the Pathfinder games or BG3 is a good game. This was SO FUCKING CLOSE to being my dream game. So fucking close that I am actually angry that it isn't.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've been playing Darktide and whilst that game has a lot of faults it gets the visuals of 40k so right that it really highlights just how much of a travesty the art style of this game is.

I would've sold several of my organs and my first born child for the Bioware that made Baldur's Gate, KotoR, and Jade Empire or the Obisdian who made KotOR 2, FNV, and NwN2 to make a 40k RPG using the Dark Heresy d100 rules with decent visuals that actually evoke the grim darkness of the 41st millennium. As opposed to whatever this crap is designed to attract the sort of people who think the Pathfinder games or BG3 is a good game. This was SO FUCKING CLOSE to being my dream game. So fucking close that I am actually angry that it isn't.

If you told me ten years ago that a big RPG studio would be tackling a 40k Rogue Trader game, and it would be top-down, turn-based, party building, I would honestly say it would be the most hyped I've been for a game, ever.

And I felt the same way when this one was announced, only to have the hype snatched away as soon as Owlcat's name was mentioned.

Owlcat's art style and "writing" can't be further away from grimdark.

Dark Tide is fun though, a new update dropped so maybe servers are more stable now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom