Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming August 8th

Lemming42

Arcane
How does this one compare to Kingmaker?
Hated both Pathfinder games but I like this so far. Much less shitty filler in the maps, game doesn't flood you with as much useless loot, and combat is pretty simple but better than Pathfinder.

Some of the things that scuttled the Pathfinder games are still here though; it still overwhelms you with dialogue (it's not bad or anything, there's just too much of it) and the overworld ship stuff looks like it could get annoying.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Seems like pretty good fun so far, and I also received my first bug... I was awarded a Steam trophy for "visiting all the systems in the Koronus Expanse" the second I completed the prologue! The first bug I've ever seen that leaked outside a game, kudos.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
How does this one compare to Kingmaker?
Hated both Pathfinder games but I like this so far. Much less shitty filler in the maps, game doesn't flood you with as much useless loot, and combat is pretty simple but better than Pathfinder.

Some of the things that scuttled the Pathfinder games are still here though; it still overwhelms you with dialogue (it's not bad or anything, there's just too much of it) and the overworld ship stuff looks like it could get annoying.

What about the trash encounters? Is it Pathfinder tier? Encounter design was one of the worst aspects about their previous games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fuck, I can no longer pay in Argentine peso :despair:

qZkiGyY.png

https://steamdb.info/app/2186680/

What about the trash encounters? Is it Pathfinder tier? Encounter design was one of the worst aspects about their previous games.

I can only talk about beta.

I would say that is much better than Kingmaker/Wrath but much worse than Knights of the Chalice.

game doesn't flood you with as much useless loot, and combat is pretty simple but better than Pathfinder.

What I liked about combat is how impactful things are

Can you be a melee pyro psyker or do I need to have int for it how the fuck does this work.

You can. And there are force swords are in the game.

For psykers, WILLPOWER is the most important stat. I would suggest getting some biomancy powers too as it can help you in melee with some buffs.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Fuck, I can no longer pay in Argentine peso :despair:

qZkiGyY.png

https://steamdb.info/app/2186680/

I can only talk about beta.

I would say that is much better than Kingmaker/Wrath but much worse than Knights of the Chalice.

game doesn't flood you with as much useless loot, and combat is pretty simple but better than Pathfinder.

What I liked about combat is how impactful things are

Can you be a melee pyro psyker or do I need to have int for it how the fuck does this work.

You can. And there are force swords are in the game.

For psykers, WILLPOWER is the most important stat. I would suggest getting some biomancy powers too as it can help you in melee with some buffs.

Jesus Christ, Vatniks are poorer than Khazaks, South Africans, AND Hohols? How is that even possible? Hohols don't even have a country anymore and all their men are dead. Vatniks make Europoors look like US citizens.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So far so good. Playing on unfair.
And? Is there complexity to levels or is it just kill all that moves, pick four weapons or armor, read a lot of text, and move on?
Act 1 is supposed to be slower and with more lore dumps. And everyone has less options in combat and you don't have many companions yet.
I beg your pardon, but I was asking about complexity of levels/areas, not about how combat and companions are. Strangely enough, every video shows only the latter.
I have finished both Pathfinders and I liked them, but I always found them inconsistent in their message. Epic, wast games posing as adventures, but maps too often short of adventuring—generally just talking, looting, and fighting.
Adventure as in the older sense. From adventure games: 'You can't traverse to next area unless you find a de-coupling tool. In the next area, there is only a strange statue. Perception > 15 = you found that it's missing a digit. Later you find it, put it back on the statue, it turns, and reveals a treasure, etc.
So, I would like to know first.
This isnt MIST it's 40k where you roleplay as a genocidal ancap.
An ad absurdum remark is unneeded. You may feel different, but I always felt that story-based RPGs needed adventure elements, or else they felt too barren in an important regard. Both previous Owlcat's games were missing out on that, and I couldn't care for more right now. I just want to know if I will like this one or not, that's all.
I think Starfield might be more to your liking. It has all that "exploration" you prefer over cRPG goodness.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
4c7D8en.jpg

Already found a bug in the prologue. I managed to run behind enemies that come out of the elevator I was heading to. Now we are both looking in the wrong direction and neither of us have cover to use. Muh immersion :argh:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
seems like you can attack some enemies before entering combat
space voodoo witch's chain lightning is quite good for that

also seems like shitload of talents/abilities names got changed from beta but did not notice balance changes so far

Shaja

Educated
Finished the introduction and landed on the 1st planet. With 4h so far:

+ The music is a total banger and fits so well with the universe. For me, it´s the main character of the game, knew it when they released the 1st trailer last year.

+ Whether you only like 40K lore, or you only like CRPGs, this game is for both audiences.

+ Great voice acting.

+The design / art style does a very nice work adapting the artworks published by Games Workshop.

+Of course it´s too soon to see the combat more deep, but the mutilations are fun when you last hit.

- Maybe I lack 40K lore knowledge in this situation, but why is Idira´s African accent so strong? It´s because of her planet homewtown they speak like that and she stuck with that forever? Well you know the answer

- They could put more information in the encyclopedia for beginners. For example it explains about the Emperor with just 3 sentences. I understand that explaining everything would take soooo much text. But c´mon don´t be shy.

Cheers

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
-Maybe I lack 40K lore knowledge in this situation, but why is Idira´s African accent so strong? It´s because of her planet homewtown they speak like that and she couldn´t leave it behind?
Black characters in 40k are just given Afro-Caribbean accents, Dawn of War and Darktide do it as well.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
-Maybe I lack 40K lore knowledge in this situation, but why is Idira´s African accent so strong? It´s because of her planet homewtown they speak like that and she couldn´t leave it behind?
Black characters in 40k are just given Afro-Caribbean accents, Dawn of War and Darktide do it as well.

Thank Christ for this. Affected US ghetto nog accents are the absolute worst and pull me out of a game setting worse than anything. I can semi-deal with actual Africans.

"Yo shaaaawty! We fittin' to do some mafuckin' Rogue Tradin'. Das rite nigga, we 'bout to get dat paypa. I hear dem Warp Niggas got mad stacks les go make dat money!"

Last edited:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Seems like pretty good fun so far, and I also received my first bug... I was awarded a Steam trophy for "visiting all the systems in the Koronus Expanse" the second I completed the prologue! The first bug I've ever seen that leaked outside a game, kudos.

Achievements (what you are calling Steam Trophies) are fucked. I literally just -logged in- and got an Achievement "Doom Trader" (complete 500 critical hits on enemies). I have been in one battle. :roll::|

janior

Arcane
Patron
first impressions:
8 skin types for character 7 of those are black lol
7 faces 8 of them are male
cant make a non human character big yikes
combat seems ok reminds me of nu-xcom but there are way too many skills, I spent more time reading those then playing the game
voice acting is ok except for the black chick which sounds annoying af
music seems fine so far but more on generic chorus style, mechanicus had better tunes
framerate is very inconstant
artstyle is hideous, especially the portraits
overall as predicted its 40k for fat lesbians

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
- music better than I thought
- UI better than I thought
- one of the worst, needlessly convoluted chargens I ever saw, literally painful until you get through it
- color palette is weird (too many colors)
- voice actors are overly gay/flamboyant and annoying, it really sounds as if everyone is trying to slowly seduce you lol
- text dumps ofc
- combat is okay, nothing crazy and pretty basic
- portraits very cartoony and reminded me of Overwatch or some zoomer shite
- game overall runs below par

2/5 so far

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Funny thing is, I didn't even get to the pozz and minigames, which I expect will bring the gameplay down to 1/5

Deadyawn

Learned
Fuck, I can no longer pay in Argentine peso
Forget about it.

Prices here shot up 200% at the least, which is still cheaper for some countries, mind you.

I would have pirated if I didn't know this game is going to be dropping patches every other day. The upside is that I know I'll convince myself I like it even if I don't cause this purchase fucking stung.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
first impressions:
8 skin types for character 7 of those are black lol

This is a problem for you why? You are the only Vatnik I know that had an avatar of a strong empowered nigress as their forum avatar for a LONG time. Not to mention one of the worst RPG game characters in history too. You should be really excited by this! Why the change of heart Vatcuck?

A reminder for you since you have a short memory of your most favorite avatar EVAH---

pallegino.PNG

gongal

Scholar
We wuz 40k magicians n' shieet.

Cool game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom