Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
lard doesnt get wiped
lard does the wiping!
7Ag7uBT.jpeg
Abelard, kill 'em all with your thunder hammer

Ryzer

Arcane
I think the game would be better if it provided more abilities in the beginning (or more abilities gained by selecting the class) with better encounter design instead of hordes of trash mobs as well as less leveling.

You level up way too fast in this game compared to the Pathfinder games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think the game would be better if it provided more abilities in the beginning (or more abilities gained by selecting the class) with better encounter design instead of hordes of trash mobs as well as less leveling.

You level up way too fast in this game compared to the Pathfinder games.
Because you have 50 levels compared to 20 in pathfinder for about same game time.

Harthwain

Magister
Rogue trader combat is not anymore "broken" then any other recent big turn-based titles like Bg3. Even Codex favourites like JA3 or King Arthur have some serious balance issues where certain classes dominate everything. Rogue Trader is not perfect but stop making such a big fuss over "broken combat". Its a SINGLE player RPG for Emperor's Sake!!
I disagree. While there are some fights in side-quests that feel overtuned in King Arthur: Knight's Tale, Rogue Trader has it FAR worse. Being able to kill a final boss before he even gets to act (or the whole strategy being "kill them on the first turn before they do the same onto you") is stupidly broken. There is no defending that.

Yeah, it's a royal mess but I think someone said they are planning a combat rebalance? Haven't seen a relevant dev statement myself though.
Yes, they said on Discord they are going to rebalance weapons, skills and encounters. When exactly it will be done not sure (few weeks back they said in about 2 months).
I heard it is supposed to be somewhere mid-Februrary, but I don't know how certain this information is.

Found it:
Next Patch ETA:

PC and Mac: Mid-late-february, 2024, possible hotfixes inbetween;
PS5: ~Mid-late-february, 2024, possible hotfixes inbetween;
Xbox: ~Mid-late-february, 2024, possible hotfixes inbetween;

A major 1.1 patch is expected mid-to-late february. It will contain major balance changes (including weapon type balance, encounter balance, a review of Ulfar's performance, AoE attack and grenades performance, difficulty tweaks and more), QoL UI improvements, and hundreds of bugfixes. We intend to have a major chunk of incorrectly functioning abilities and items fixed in this patch.
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/2186680/discussions/0/4027970580228219058/

Dayyālu

Arcane
I know that the team is working on it, so it will be somewhere soon, I guess.

I've sperged and complained at length about the combat system here, but amuse a paying customer for once:

From where exactly all this mess comes from? The basics of the combat appear to be from the Dark Heresy system, but it's so flat-out weird that I'm fascinated by the origin of all the mess. It's very very bad, and everyone recognizes that, but from where exactly the ideas came from? What were the inspirations of the Frankestein we got?

ArchAngel

Arcane
OK, I gave Indira more of a chance in my new Iconoclast run. As soon as I hit start of Act 2 her random chance to fuck up went crazy and it is not fun. I am still on Footfall, did only a few fights and on 2 of those she died and turned into a Demon that made both battles 2x harder for no reason.. whoever thought this is fun?!
If this shit continues I will have to bench her and only use her for her quests..
I do not mind other effects that can happen but this demon shit is stupid.
It is even more stupid that after the battle she gets up and everyone acts like nothing happened LOL. it does not make any sense even in narrative. Argenta and Heinrix would murder her first time it happened and everyone survived..

user

Savant

I've sperged and complained at length about the combat system here, but amuse a paying customer for once:

From where exactly all this mess comes from? The basics of the combat appear to be from the Dark Heresy system, but it's so flat-out weird that I'm fascinated by the origin of all the mess. It's very very bad, and everyone recognizes that, but from where exactly the ideas came from? What were the inspirations of the Frankestein we got?

For what it's worth, I don't think there is anything inherently bad with the system, number of levels, talents and whatnot... although I would have liked more impactful origins and origin reactivity with archetypes. It's just rushed and unfinished.

I am still on Footfall, did only a few fights and on 2 of those she died and turned into a Demon that made both battles 2x harder for no reason.. whoever thought this is fun?!

I like this - it does not tend to happen often, but it seemed more random than it should. At release, I got some pretty extreme effects and demon summoning on Idira's first casts with low warp. But I think it's more than fair to be punished for not keeping her alive and well, or keep casting >1 warp spells with high warp.

ArchAngel

Arcane

For what it's worth, I don't think there is anything inherently bad with the system, number of levels, talents and whatnot... although I would have liked more impactful origins and origin reactivity with archetypes. It's just rushed and unfinished.

I am still on Footfall, did only a few fights and on 2 of those she died and turned into a Demon that made both battles 2x harder for no reason.. whoever thought this is fun?!

I like this - it does not tend to happen often, but it seemed more random than it should. At release, I got some pretty extreme effects and demon summoning on Idira's first casts with low warp. But I think it's more than fair to be punished for not keeping her alive and well, or keep casting >1 warp spells with high warp.
It is not effect of high warp, it can happen at any warp with Indira because she is unsanctioned

user

Savant

It is not effect of high warp, it can happen at any warp with Indira because she is unsanctioned

You can still get phenomena and perils such as demon summons with high warp and sanctioned psykers - am I not remembering correctly?

Anyhow, from a gameplay perspective it shouldn't be completely random with Idira. There were rare cases where I got nearly instagibbed at the start of the battle by casting an ability with her (not that I mind).
Like, if you manage to keep her trauma-free, alive and retain low warp, a chance for supernatural phenomena, and low risk perils at any warp level is fair. If you don't, chance to get fucked with instant high level demon summoning or high damage/status effects.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
You just don't spam high psyker abilities and don't let the veil degradation gauge get too far. And later you take psyker perks that help with maintaining a veil and also a navigator ability that lowers it a lot.
Though I think that this mechanic is broken too because I had some daemons pop up here and there in chapters 1-2 but afterwards I didn't have it happen once, even in the fights where you are forced to fight with high veil degradation due to a lot of cultists or daemon invasion shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You just don't spam high psyker abilities and don't let the veil degradation gauge get too far. And later you take psyker perks that help with maintaining a veil and also a navigator ability that lowers it a lot.
Though I think that this mechanic is broken too because I had some daemons pop up here and there in chapters 1-2 but afterwards I didn't have it happen once, even in the fights where you are forced to fight with high veil degradation due to a lot of cultists or daemon invasion shit.
Again, with Indira veil levels do not matter. She is unsanctioned and can get worst effects at any level. In my two battles she died and summoned deamons on turns 1 and 2 while being undamaged with low veil level.
In comparison in my Dogmatic run Heinrix never got something like that to happen and I was happy spamming all his Psyker abilities each turn on all veil levels. Worst thing to happen to him was a knock down. This is through whole game and all 100+ battles during it.
With Indira as soon as I hit Act 2, in first 5 battles, 2 Daemon summons?!

Harthwain

Magister
Idira is a hazard you don't need. Unless you want some extra difficulty. I stopped using her the moment I could use anyone else for the last spot. That said, sanctioned psykers can trigger some interesting effects (atmosphere-wise), even without triggering the perils themselves.

notpl

Arbiter
Again, with Indira veil levels do not matter. She is unsanctioned and can get worst effects at any level. In my two battles she died and summoned deamons on turns 1 and 2 while being undamaged with low veil level.
In comparison in my Dogmatic run Heinrix never got something like that to happen and I was happy spamming all his Psyker abilities each turn on all veil levels. Worst thing to happen to him was a knock down. This is through whole game and all 100+ battles during it.
There are no "worst effects." There're only two possibilities: psychic phenomena (which do nothing but lower morale slightly) and perils of the warp, which always have the potential to summon demons or pronate your whole team. Idira has a 5% chance to trigger the latter any time she uses any power, Heinrix can trigger the latter by using a major psyker power when degradation is above 15. That's it, that's the whole system.

Like nearly everything else in the game Owlcat just made up the numbers on the spot with zero thought for the realities of gameplay. 5% is an absurdly high percentage for anything in an RPG - it essentially guarantees it will happen multiple times every single combat. It should have been 0.02% or something.

user

Savant
There are no "worst effects." There're only two possibilities: psychic phenomena (which do nothing but lower morale slightly) and perils of the warp, which always have the potential to summon demons or pronate your whole team. Idira has a 5% chance to trigger the latter any time she uses any power, Heinrix can trigger the latter by using a major psyker power when degradation is above 15. That's it, that's the whole system.

Like nearly everything else in the game Owlcat just made up the numbers on the spot with zero thought for the realities of gameplay. 5% is an absurdly high percentage for anything in an RPG - it essentially guarantees it will happen multiple times every single combat. It should have been 0.02% or something.

If I am not mistaken, lore-wise, them evoking Chaos and so on, is a certainty, but it also depends on a lot of things, like their psychology (new to the 40k lore, mostly know it from this game). So it could depend on the character's traumas/state or even the mc's behavior.
My experience without Idira was the same with ArchAngel's - I don't remember any psychic phenomena or perils ever impeding me even though I abused my powers at +15, which is a shame.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Summoning demons stops being a problem pretty quickly. The most irritating things are automatic deaths or CC for the entire team.
From what I've read, the chance scales with the psi rating, which means that the further you go, the more often it will appear. Which is annoying as hell and definitely not enjoyable gameplay.
Idira will always have 2x the chance, which means there is no point in keeping her in your party unless you don't mind having to load the game after she murders your group with her aoe stun.

ArchAngel

Arcane

There are worst effects because Heinrix never turned into a demon even when using major powers on highest veil levels.
Even knocking everyone prone in AoE is already nasty, turning into a Demon should be a huge deal. It should happen for Indira once per playthrough and it should get immediate sequence after battle where Heinrix, Ulfar or Argenta want to kill her (probably even two Eldar) and you get a dogmatic option to accept it. That is a fucking bigger deal than that stupid ship sequence where she trust warp entity that looks like Theodora.. that is less that summoning Demons in the middle of a life or death battle

ArchAngel

Arcane
Turning into a demon isn't something that you can recover from.
She somehow does. I guess she summons one and goes unconcious. It is completely ignored by the game lol
Another thing mostly ignored in Act 4 and beyond is having Ulfar with you. Only Lord Inquisitor notices him lol.
Not even Argenta gets some good interactions..

Rhobar121

Scholar
The game has literally zero reactivity after you complete the prologue. I don't know what you expected.

notpl

Arbiter

There are worst effects because Heinrix never turned into a demon even when using major powers on highest veil levels.
Even knocking everyone prone in AoE is already nasty, turning into a Demon should be a huge deal. It should happen for Indira once per playthrough and it should get immediate sequence after battle where Heinrix, Ulfar or Argenta want to kill her (probably even two Eldar) and you get a dogmatic option to accept it. That is a fucking bigger deal than that stupid ship sequence where she trust warp entity that looks like Theodora.. that is less that summoning Demons in the middle of a life or death battle
Total random chance, Heinrix doesn't have any more or less of a chance to spawn demons specifically than Idira does. Perils are rolled on the same table no matter who generates them. Again, there are only three possibilities when using a psyker power: nothing, psychic phenomena (still basically nothing), and perils of the warp. The latter include demon summoning, instant death for the user, a small amount of damage for every unit on screen, and a tremor that pronates the whole party sometimes and does fuck-all nothing at others.

And there is no "turn into a demon" peril, you're just seeing her summon a demon while also being knocked unconscious from peril damage or the free attack the demon got when it spawned.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I have never triggered perils of the warp without Idira in my party (so basically after chapter 1) despite my main character being a psyker and using Heinrix pretty extensively too. And despite quite often being forced to fight over 15 veil degradation.
So I think it's just bugged? I encountered it pretty often while using Idira in chapter 1, yeah. And I agree, having a mechanic that basically means "reload a save", because in the early game the demon just murders the whole party is just not fun.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Total random chance, Heinrix doesn't have any more or less of a chance to spawn demons specifically than Idira does. Perils are rolled on the same table no matter who generates them. Again, there are only three possibilities when using a psyker power: nothing, psychic phenomena (still basically nothing), and perils of the warp. The latter include demon summoning, instant death for the user, a small amount of damage for every unit on screen, and a tremor that pronates the whole party sometimes and does fuck-all nothing at others.

And there is no "turn into a demon" peril, you're just seeing her summon a demon while also being knocked unconscious from peril damage or the free attack the demon got when it spawned.
This is not true Idira has 2x greater chance of causing effects than Sanctioned Psyker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom