Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

Erebus

Arcane
What in Lolth's name was Owlcat thinking when they designed Act 3 ?!? Act 2 was fun and enjoyable, Act 3 was the exact opposite. The fights were a chore and the exploration was even worse.

The Dark Eldars are just as unbelievably boring as the demons in WotR. Nothing about them is interesting or entertaining. They're not villains that you love to hate, they're a bunch of ridiculous edgelords that are both shallow and repetitive. Having an entire act happen in one of their cities is a terrible fucking idea.

During Act 2, I felt certain that I'd want to play the game again at least once, with different moral choices and different companions. I'm feeling much less certain now.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What in Lolth's name was Owlcat thinking when they designed Act 3 ?!? Act 2 was fun and enjoyable, Act 3 was the exact opposite. The fights were a chore and the exploration was even worse.

The Dark Eldars are just as unbelievably boring as the demons in WotR. Nothing about them is interesting or entertaining. They're not villains that you love to hate, they're a bunch of ridiculous edgelords that are both shallow and repetitive. Having an entire act happen in one of their cities is a terrible fucking idea.

During Act 2, I felt certain that I'd want to play the game again at least once, with different moral choices and different companions. I'm feeling much less certain now.
Only problem with Act 3 is that it is too small with not enough areas.

Dayyālu

Arcane

Lol. Imagine wanting to play this twice.

Just wait. At least Act 3 despite being quite short still kinda sorta works. Act 4 is a buggy incomplete mess and Act 5 is the game surrendering.

I like the idea of Act 3, Commoragh is a novel place for a 40k game and the ambience can be good. The execution is short, badly put together, clearly half-assed, and the combats there start the beginning of the combat system completely breaking down due to incredibly subpar design of both enemies and character system.

Enjoy Chapter 3, because it's the last attempt of the game to give to you something that isn't complete and utter broken crap.

std::namespace

one handed bolt guns
are they one handed because the other hand got fucked up?
1B2SdoZ.png

Rhobar121

Scholar

notpl

Arbiter
What in Lolth's name was Owlcat thinking when they designed Act 3 ?!?
Isn't fumbling the ball after the first half of the game an Owlcat specialty?
No? Chapter 4 was Kingmaker's best and certainly wasn't Wrath's worst.
Chapter 4 is not a twice born warrior or maybe a pitax? Both were shitty.
The Kingsmaker storyline died with Vordakai.
Cahpter 4 is Vordekai. Great job.

Aarwolf

Learned

Rogue Trader has roughly the same construction as Wrath:

1. Prologue
2. Limited exploration (Kenabres/Rykad Minoris system)
3. Open exploration (Drezen and crusade/restoring Rogue Trader's dominium)
4. Exotic place (Demon town/Dark elves town)
5. Disappointing wrap up (return from the abyss/return from dark elves town)
6. Laughable short ending (Treshold/Necrons)

So yeah, there is always radical drop in quality after the exotic place, and exotic place is of questionable quality (some like it, some hate it due to a certain gimmick). The best part is always the first half, and the latter half will never be properly fixed, even with DLCs.

first turn, no one has moved yet, barely playable psyker channeling some dmg lul
vdk7Vae.jpeg

owlscat, Pain Channeling is supposed to do the rollover damage to the next target, not multiply shit by 3 and see what happens...

was trying the idira bounty hunter variant to try and get those extra turns on prey kill,
seems prey status is shared and it triggers the elf bounty hunter even if she didnt set any prey up,
and killing an enemy with 'cull the prey' is too circumstantial, if i can just shriek em for 400 dmg and channel to the next one

ArchAngel

Arcane

Rogue Trader has roughly the same construction as Wrath:

1. Prologue
2. Limited exploration (Kenabres/Rykad Minoris system)
3. Open exploration (Drezen and crusade/restoring Rogue Trader's dominium)
4. Exotic place (Demon town/Dark elves town)
5. Disappointing wrap up (return from the abyss/return from dark elves town)
6. Laughable short ending (Treshold/Necrons)

So yeah, there is always radical drop in quality after the exotic place, and exotic place is of questionable quality (some like it, some hate it due to a certain gimmick). The best part is always the first half, and the latter half will never be properly fixed, even with DLCs.
Except Wrath had that 3. as two chapters and it was pretty polished while here it is one and very unpolished. Only prologue and Act 1 in RT feel finished.

ArchAngel

Arcane
first turn, no one has moved yet, barely playable psyker channeling some dmg lul
vdk7Vae.jpeg

owlscat, Pain Channeling is supposed to do the rollover damage to the next target, not multiply shit by 3 and see what happens...

was trying the idira bounty hunter variant to try and get those extra turns on prey kill,
seems prey status is shared and it triggers the elf bounty hunter even if she didnt set any prey up,
and killing an enemy with 'cull the prey' is too circumstantial, if i can just shriek em for 400 dmg and channel to the next one
In my run I plan to make Indira GS, she has good buffs and debuffs so I will have her use those at start.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
one handed bolt guns
are they one handed because the other hand got fucked up?
1B2SdoZ.png

Legit one of the funniest screenshots I've seen in this thread.

1. They just straight up took an old-school termie storm bolter and didn't bother resizing/redesigning it to fit modern 40k.

2. Doesn't even fit the model.

3. Will 1000% break your wrist immediately on firing + gimp suit attire.

:P :P :P

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
*ahem*

Akchually, bolters shouldn't have that much recoil.

So on one hand, bolter rounds are gyrojet type projectiles that historically don't have much recoil, but IIRC in the fluff (and most video game adaptations) they kick like a mutated mule.

Probably something to do with gas venting, the weight of the round itself (it's like 60times heavier than 5.56 or something) or typical british artist ignorance of firearms (the early 40k gun models are peak WTF territory). IDK.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Early 40k was meant to be a parody of Britain's own political situation. It was later authors that starting taking the setting seriously.

the calligos fight is interesting and proves that dodge stacking is not thaaat powerful because SLASH seems to ignore it and all the 3 nasties in there slash like there is no tomorrow
but PARRY doesnt care for slash! LARD still reigns supreme... sadly the map is full of his mortal enemy - snipers...

u need to die breh!
drxWrDC.jpeg

CHAOS recovers a cooldown on warp phenoms! yay
DWLizPW.jpeg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUK
oKnmPkr.jpeg

dont dance with the dance master
NYGyd9i.jpeg

P O E T I C death
X7P3PYb.jpeg

Peachcurl

Cipher
*ahem*

Akchually, bolters shouldn't have that much recoil.

So on one hand, bolter rounds are gyrojet type projectiles that historically don't have much recoil, but IIRC in the fluff (and most video game adaptations) they kick like a mutated mule.

Probably something to do with gas venting, the weight of the round itself (it's like 60times heavier than 5.56 or something) or typical british artist ignorance of firearms (the early 40k gun models are peak WTF territory). IDK.

The fluff even has Las weapons with kickback, so I know where I'd place my money. :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane
the calligos fight is interesting and proves that dodge stacking is not thaaat powerful because SLASH seems to ignore it and all the 3 nasties in there slash like there is no tomorrow
but PARRY doesnt care for slash! LARD still reigns supreme... sadly the map is full of his mortal enemy - snipers...

u need to die breh!
drxWrDC.jpeg

CHAOS recovers a cooldown on warp phenoms! yay
DWLizPW.jpeg

FUUUUUUUUUUUUK
oKnmPkr.jpeg

dont dance with the dance master
NYGyd9i.jpeg

P O E T I C death
X7P3PYb.jpeg
Knives have a hidden -50% to dodge of target trait.

Knives have a hidden -50% to dodge of target trait.
as do "troops" -20, which only goes to show the MIGHT of lard!
argenta can probably pull parry higher though :lol:
she can also wear heavy armor so the only thing lard has going for him is wall of concrete and endure and parry talent...

Harthwain

Magister
I finished Act 3.

Thank God-Emperor of Mankind I stockpiled the bugged rewards from Capella Biologis (I took the other project, but got swapped rewards), otherwise I would not be able to heal all the traumas I was getting and I'd need to spend even more time reloading fights. Who thought it was a good idea for the last Arena fight to be a series of separate encounters back-to-back-to-back, with no real possibility to recover from injuries? And the last fight, with the boss...

Not only he has 5 melee guards who can - somehow - deal party-wide damage. He also gets reinforcements each turn (or two). Granted, said reinforcements aren't as big of a deal, but they nevertheless require to be dealt with. On top of that he also has two flesh giants who throw projectiles at you AND somebody thought it was a good idea to introduce TWO MORE OF THEM at the bottom of the stairs, because apparently the fight wasn't stacked enough against you. Oh, and the boss himself has more than 1000 hit points, heals himself to full at least once (or twice) and summons turrets at some point. Ironically enough it only took me 4 or 5 tries to win, but it was still unpleasant and felt deeply unfair.

By the way, for all the hate Ulfar gets (here and elsewhere) he is pretty fun to use. I am also impressed Owlcat managed to convey how horrible a place Dark Eldar city is (and Dark Eldars as a race), despite the game being isometric with cartoonish 3D models. They nailed the atmosphere of Warhammer 40K in general.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finished Act 3.

Thank God-Emperor of Mankind I stockpiled the bugged rewards from Capella Biologis (I took the other project, but got swapped rewards), otherwise I would not be able to heal all the traumas I was getting and I'd need to spend even more time reloading fights. Who thought it was a good idea for the last Arena fight to be a series of separate encounters back-to-back-to-back, with no real possibility to recover from injuries? And the last fight, with the boss...

Not only he has 5 melee guards who can - somehow - deal party-wide damage. He also gets reinforcements each turn (or two). Granted, said reinforcements aren't as big of a deal, but they nevertheless require to be dealt with. On top of that he also has two flesh giants who throw projectiles at you AND somebody thought it was a good idea to introduce TWO MORE OF THEM at the bottom of the stairs, because apparently the fight wasn't stacked enough against you. Oh, and the boss himself has more than 1000 hit points, heals himself to full at least once (or twice) and summons turrets at some point. Ironically enough it only took me 4 or 5 tries to win, but it was still unpleasant and felt deeply unfair.

By the way, for all the hate Ulfar gets (here and elsewhere) he is pretty fun to use. I am also impressed Owlcat managed to convey how horrible a place Dark Eldar city is (and Dark Eldars as a race), despite the game being isometric with cartoonish 3D models. They nailed the atmosphere of Warhammer 40K in general.
What difficulty are you playing on and did you have Cassia focused into navigator stuff and Argenta focused into Heavy Bolter?
Those two let me do this fight on 2nd try on Hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom