Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

Rhobar121

Scholar
I tried to actively avoid the most broken mechanics so as not to ruin the game completely.
I thought the fight design was ok until the fight in the palace. That's when the traditional shitty Owlcat design started to show. I don't know about others, but I don't enjoy win-the-initiative-or-die games.
Then in the third act, during an arena fight with a mob ignoring the turn order, I decided that I didn't give a damn and I wouldn't limit myself anymore.
I figured that if the game doesn't give a damn about its own rules, why should I care? Then it only got worse.
I wonder if anyone at Owlcat even tried to play their game. Because I refuse to believe that having half your team die before you can do anything is pleasant for anyone.

Rhobar121

Scholar
If they already knew they couldn't do anything sensible initiative system, why didn't they just use the turn system from DoS2?
I'm not saying it was perfect (because it wasn't), but it would fit this game very well and it would help alleviate the problem of half the team dying before the first turn.
With the removal of free turns from the officer, the combat system could then be quite enjoyable.

REhorror

Educated
Oh boy just got banned on Steam's Rogue Trader for inciting too much anti-Americanism.

And I find it very weird that the Iconoclast "goers" who want to break the Imperium are American, liberals, US military/Hollywood worshiper or combined of all the above.

REhorror

Educated
liberals, US military [...] worshipper
How does this work?
Lemme take a screenshot.
tEaRjCd.png

So basically the guy calls me (probably) a crypto-fascist, attacks the Imperium and then worships the US military in one post.
I find it hilarious somehow.

std::namespace

i should not have looked into dodge stacking...
than i would have not realized that cassie's infusion staff from selfbuffs keeps stacking indefinitely as long as you buff yourself once per turn...
u16I84Y.jpeg

there is a cute little wrinkle to this fight because when the enemy gets the EXTRA TURN, all my temp buffs drop and i can get hit
wsfVmML.jpeg

so you need about 280% dodge clean to survive that
that takes a couple of turns

also, this item is bugged and gives 15 dodge per enemy hit too... so cassies aoe hitting 3 enemies gives 60 dodge...
gHl6kua.png

Another problem is that in some fights somebody had a "brilliant" idea to surround your team at the very beginning of the fight
its called an ambush, you fag, stop crying and start dealing with it

REhorror

Educated
than i would have not realized that cassie's infusion staff from selfbuffs keeps stacking indefinitely as long as you buff yourself once per turn...
u16I84Y.jpeg

there is a cute little wrinkle to this fight because when the enemy gets the EXTRA TURN, all my temp buffs drop and i can get hit
wsfVmML.jpeg

also, this item is bugged and gives 15 dodge per enemy hit too... so cassies aoe hitting 3 enemies gives 60 dodge...
gHl6kua.png
Hmmm, I don't remember having that boot, is it a Store item or a loot?

ArchAngel

Arcane
u16I84Y.jpeg

wsfVmML.jpeg

gHl6kua.png
Those boots are also very broken as they do not have any limits. I had to remove them from Cassia because as soon as she would get her turn she would become unhittable.

This is a shitty way of designing combat when if the enemy moves first, at least one of your characters will die.
no its not a shitty way,
it happens like thrice in 3 chapters, its variety,
so that your camping turtling faggy glasscannons dont just sit there shootin - but die

i dunno, inventory looks like a fleamarket heap, i have long forgotten whats what

owlscat didnt even implement a filter for item types...
try getting all the 2h swords?
you cant - searching for "two-handed" doesnt work, searching for "sword" leaves out cleavers...
its all so tiresome

Rhobar121

Scholar
This is a shitty way of designing combat when if the enemy moves first, at least one of your characters will die.
no its not a shitty way,
it happens like thrice in 3 chapters, its variety,
so that your camping turtling faggy glasscannons dont just sit there shootin - but die
This is a shitty way. I probably had to load the game 3-5 times while defending the palace just because most of my team died before my first move.

REhorror

Educated
i dunno, inventory looks like a fleamarket heap, i have long forgotten whats what

owlscat didnt even implement a filter for item types...
try getting all the 2h swords?
you cant - searching for "two-handed" doesnt work, searching for "sword" leaves out cleavers...
its all so tiresome
Oh no!

yes!

man, im so demoralized from the dodge stacking...
i was like almost excited for ch3 to be over and having 200 heresy (i get randomly healed now!) to make idira absolutely haram out of a combo of items that create loops
kqlJL9O.png

7sdTiCs.png

OAUmWDu.png

TW81n6q.png

but why bother now... can just stack dodge... infuse infuse infuse...

REhorror

Educated
yes!

man, im so demoralized from the dodge stacking...
i was like almost excited for ch3 to be over and having 200 heresy (i get randomly healed now!) to make idira absolutely haram out of a combo of items that create loops
kqlJL9O.png

7sdTiCs.png

OAUmWDu.png

TW81n6q.png

but why bother now... can just stack dodge... infuse infuse infuse...
Oh well, I hear Heretical Act 4 is gonna be bugged to fuck, so be ready.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Question about Major spoilers (do not open unless you finished the game):
Ok so now that I am replaying the game and I am watching how devs put in little things about Argenta that are aha moments since you know that Argenta killed Theodora.
#1 When attack on ship begins Theodora says to find Sister Argenta and tell her to not leave her side
#2 When Argenta joins you, she already killed her and then you find Theodora ghost that walks through fire and Argenta says "impossible". Also you cannot ask her about #1 but on 1st play you do not notice such details
#3 When you find dead Theodora and archmilitant description says he died before he was able to fire, he just moved safety on his weapon to on. That means they got super surprised and were attacked by someone they didn't expect which connects back to #1. Also Argenta kind of fakes her surprise by mentioning heretics and such which is half truth
Argenta seemed to also blow up the item Theodora was holding as you just find fragments of it.

Now my question is what was that item and was it connected with Necrons and whole plot of Act 5? And why did Theodora rush to her chambers to use it hoping it would help her in that situation? I kind of missed or forgot that part :D

Erebus

Arcane
Still on Chapter 2. So far, this game is considerably more entertaining than WotR.

I've just met my first genestealers. It turns out that Argenta with a heavy bolter and the right items/skills is pretty much Vasquez, except that none of the aliens can get close enough to kill her.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I've just met my first genestealers. It turns out that Argenta with a heavy bolter and the right items/skills is pretty much Vasquez, except that none of the aliens can get close enough to kill her.

First and last. Yes, there are no other Genestealers in the entire game.

Enjoy Chapter 2, the road is all but pain.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So tell me how this game is playing now. I've been actively avoiding it and this thread, waiting for it to stabilize and hopefully be irritant-free playing it.

Any glaring Unity-based issues? Does it scroll and perform smoothly, even in heavy combat?

Any show-stopping bugs warranting further waiting for more patches?

Any idea when its price might drop?

Please tag me with any replies, thank you.

Rhobar121

Scholar
So tell me how this game is playing now. I've been actively avoiding it and this thread, waiting for it to stabilize and hopefully be irritant-free playing it.

Any glaring Unity-based issues? Does it scroll and perform smoothly, even in heavy combat?

The combat is broken currently, although apparently they are planning to balance it, so I would wait if I were you (I wouldn't expect miracles though)
Also act 4 is still bugged.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Shards from one of the lenses the Tzeentch cult were using. Everything with Theodora reeks of cut content as the game never bothers to explain motivations or justify any of the shit she does, presumably she was slipping into Tzeentch worship at the expense of all else similar to Caligos with Khorne.

REhorror

Educated

The game runs fine for me except two things:
- loading screen: the longer the game goes on, the longer it takes.
- saving: Save file size increases super fast in this game, by the end, my save file folder was over 5GB.

Owlcat needs to stop using Unity, and quickly move into Unreal or develop their own engines.

King Arthur's Knight Tale really does look better and perform better.

REhorror

Educated

First and last. Yes, there are no other Genestealers in the entire game.

Enjoy Chapter 2, the road is all but pain.
There are, but it's an awesome colony events instead.

The game is mostly Chaos and Eldar shiet.

Honestly, I miss the Ork boys, feel wrong to not have them. There's no reason why there are waves and waves of Dark Eldar like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom