Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

scytheavatar

Scholar
PoE/Deadfire tries to solve this by only allowing buffs in combat

Which is RIDICULOUS. And lead monsters to lose a lot of interesting abilities.

Imo if the party is in a undead crypt, spells like negative plane protection are a necessity. If is fine for a group to buy antidote before going into a poisonous swamp, why casting magical protection against poisons isn't fine? If you take it out from pcs, poison end up being less powerful as they can't protect themselves from it. You end up punishing preparation and makes no sense.

In wh40k Owlcat could have made having too much buffs from psyker being too dangerous to be worthy using endless buffs.
It's not ridiculous when the buffs have short duration which they do in PoE. You want to cast them precisely at the moment they're needed to maximize their usefulness and avoid wasting any of their brief duration which is measured in dozens of seconds at best.
Too high a cost in action econ. Some interesting tactics involved in letting fight come to you but overall an overcorrect.
That's the whole point. Buffs should not be free power, if they are then there's no reason not to use them and they are too OP. Buffs then become ticking a checklist before combat starts rather than something with tactical consideration. If buffs have a cost and there are reasons not to use them then there would actually be depth and meaning in the use of buffs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's not ridiculous when the buffs have short duration which they do in PoE. You want to cast them precisely at the moment they're needed to maximize their usefulness and avoid wasting any of their brief duration which is measured in dozens of seconds at best.
Too high a cost in action econ. Some interesting tactics involved in letting fight come to you but overall an overcorrect.
That's the whole point. Buffs should not be free power, if they are then there's no reason not to use them and they are too OP. Buffs then become ticking a checklist before combat starts rather than something with tactical consideration. If buffs have a cost and there are reasons not to use them then there would actually be depth and meaning in the use of buffs.

Consistency of lore and mechanics >>>>> "tactics".

This obsession with balance and gamey stuff lead to the creation of 4e and 4e clones everywhere.

Harthwain

Magister
This obsession with balance and gamey stuff lead to the creation of 4e and 4e clones everywhere.
But he is right - not having a cost means this choice is superior to any other. It's like having a free move: why would you not want it? And how do you provide something of equal value to make this a choice and not a no-brainer? In order to make builds interesting, they have to offer something, instead of being noob traps.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yosharian

Arcane
Yes I agree, this should be the goal of any system that's trying to balance/fix buffs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
not having a cost means this choice is superior to any other. It's like having a free move: why would you not want it? And how do you provide something of equal value to make this a choice and not a no-brainer?

Again spells should fit the setting. In case of 40k Ai would make so each round with warp speed on requires a harsher and harder thoughtness check or inflict injuries, such system wouldn't make any sense in other setting.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Will this only have one season pass? Or is there more DLC planned?
Given their DLC model for WotR, I'm assuming that it depends on how well those two associated with the current season pass will sell.

Paging Owlcat_Eyler in case he can confirm though.
1 season pass, 2 DLCs, and more are not planned
If they are not planned why mention them?
I mean we don't plan other than two DLCs(Void Shadows and Lex Imperialis) that are part of Season Pass. Nothing else was mentioned

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
No, sorry guys, my bad. It seems I was mistaken about this question :cry:. It's not set in stone whether there will be other season passes or DLCs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom