Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games - Void Shadows DLC coming September 24th

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Literally everything you said changes by the last act.

Except Argenta. She's not the meme "overpowered" character, it's Cassia.

Pasqual is fucking LETHAL in the last part. The enemies become basically impervious to any damage except plasma. And he (or is it Inquisitor dude) has the only resurrection spell in the game. Which you will need for the endless waves, almost endless waves, practically endless waves, and nearly endless waves of enemies you will encounter.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also even Cassia is completely useless unless you follow a very specific build guide.

And even then, she's only good in specific situations.

notpl

Arbiter
Also even Cassia is completely useless unless you follow a very specific build guide.

And even then, she's only good in specific situations.
very specific build path guide: pick the talents/powers that say "navigator"

and even if you don't take a single one, she's still an officer, the most absurd archetype

ArchAngel

Arcane
Literally everything you said changes by the last act.

Except Argenta. She's not the meme "overpowered" character, it's Cassia.

Pasqual is fucking LETHAL in the last part. The enemies become basically impervious to any damage except plasma. And he (or is it Inquisitor dude) has the only resurrection spell in the game. Which you will need for the endless waves, almost endless waves, practically endless waves, and nearly endless waves of enemies you will encounter.
What are you talking about?! Last chapter is easiest part of the game. I basically soloed it with my SM companion with a just a few buffs from Cassia just for fun because it was too easy.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I'm trying to fight Uralon on Hard and this is the first fight in the game that i legit questioning the sanity of Owlcat's design for their fights.

Both starting positions offer no cover from all positions , not single spot where you can place a Sniper without getting shot, all Space Marine have extremly long range, can run entire map and have 3 attack per turn while in a Extra Turn(!) AND this is by far the buggiest fight in the game.

THIS FUCKING SUCKS HOLY SHIT HOW THIS SHIT PASSED Q.A

And you give them extra turn if you get a perils of the warp, so you're MC is a psyker FUCK YOU. nah, fuck this game.

Last edited:
I'm trying to fight Uralon on Hard and this is the first fight in the game that i legit questioning the sanity of Owlcat's design for their fights.

Both starting positions offer no cover from all positions , not single spot where you can place a Sniper without getting shot, all Space Marine have extremly long range, can run entire map and have 3 attack per turn while in a Extra Turn(!) AND this is by far the buggiest fight in the game.

And you give them extra turn if you get a perils of the warp, so you're MC is a psyker FUCK YOU. nah, fuck this game.
Bold of you to assume that Owlcat has Q&A.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

QA, not Q&A.

QA, not Q&A.
Ya.Typo mistake on my end.

Renfri

Cipher
In Act 3 there was fight that was suddenly way more difficult than earlier fights. And with that I mean, it took 2 serious attempts to win (in total 3, but in second attempt enemies managed kill 2 out of 6 characters, in first turn so I started again). In winning try, having tank really paid off and one of the other companions dodged so many attacks too. I don't think my party is very optimized :shittydog:

Screenshot from the fight where 6 enemies are about die in one hit after picture was taken.
FL4uVNw.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
In Act 3 there was fight that was suddenly way more difficult than earlier fights. And with that I mean, it took 2 serious attempts to win (in total 3, but in second attempt enemies managed kill 2 out of 6 characters, in first turn so I started again). In winning try, having tank really paid off and one of the other companions dodged so many attacks too. I don't think my party is very optimized :shittydog:

Screenshot from the fight where 6 enemies are about die in one hit after picture was taken.
FL4uVNw.png
That is normal, that is a boss fight for Act 3

Renfri

Cipher

FL4uVNw.png
it took almost 50 hours to have this hard fight.

ArchAngel

Arcane

FL4uVNw.png
it took almost 50 hours to have this hard fight.
Well Act 1 boss fight usually also requires a reload when doing it first time.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Manage to take down Uralon and the boss afterwards.

This game still balanced around you getting extra turns or at least having character getting the first turn because otherwise you get burst down. Grand strategist is lowkey mandatory.

At least this fight made learn Grand Strategist properly and i actually really liked using Stragems. Forcing enemies to ignore everyone in the Rear Zone , giving extra Dodge to my Tanks with Backline zone plus Locust Strategem and using Frontline zone go get extra damage. It's my favorite archtype now.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am looking into playing this, but if you can believe it, I know next to nothing about this 40k universe.
What is a good Codex approved introduction to this world? (video, audio, etc)

Yosharian

Arcane
asper I just finished reading this:

It was very good, I recommend it. All the characters are really interesting and it's fascinating watching them work together to take down their chosen target.

There are various books you can read that are part of the Horus Heresy, obviously the first book is the best place to start. However, the HH is a very mixed bag and you really need to follow a list in order to read only the best books and avoid the crap ones. The first book is very good though.

For games, the first Space Marine game is excellent but you need to pick it up on a sale, it's a little pricey right now (it's on sale on GOG.COM and Humble Bundle right now). The sequel is coming out in a month and is going to be fucking tremendous. The first Dawn of War game is untouchable (Dark Crusade, what a game) but very old now, the sequels are.. decidedly mixed, although DoW 2 has a certain charm to it. Battlesector is a nice one if you like turn-based, and you can buy it off CDKEYS for like $2 right now. Oh and Chaos Gate is a very good XCOM-clone although the loot/unlock RNG can be a little frustrating at times.

There are no good TV shows or movies, other than short fan movies that are mostly tech demos.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I am looking into playing this, but if you can believe it, I know next to nothing about this 40k universe.

I read a few books, most were absolute dogshit, but the first Horus Heresy book was pretty good and it's a good introduction to the world. Gaunt's Ghosts was also enjoyable. Both are available as audiobooks.

For lore and quick introductions to the concepts, Luetin is like the ultimate sleep-to-this channel on YouTube entire:

I'm not that into 40K tbh but I enjoy having Luetin in the background while doing other shit

skaraher

Prophet

I read a few books, most were absolute dogshit, but the first Horus Heresy book was pretty good and it's a good introduction to the world. Gaunt's Ghosts was also enjoyable. Both are available as audiobooks.

For lore and quick introductions to the concepts, Luetin is like the ultimate sleep-to-this channel on YouTube entire:

I'm not that into 40K tbh but I enjoy having Luetin in the background while doing other shit

Only the first HH book is readable.

Lemming42

Arcane
Both Pathfinder games are turn-based, the second one came with a TB mode at launch
I've since been told this and gone on a Pathfinder odyssey, playing Kingmaker in TB mode as long as I could. You can really tell the encounter design was built with RTWP in mind. Been brutally burned by Kingmaker so many times that I still haven't found the strength to give WOTR a proper try.

Sentinel

Arcane
Both Pathfinder games are turn-based, the second one came with a TB mode at launch
I've since been told this and gone on a Pathfinder odyssey, playing Kingmaker in TB mode as long as I could. You can really tell the encounter design was built with RTWP in mind. Been brutally burned by Kingmaker so many times that I still haven't found the strength to give WOTR a proper try.
WOTR is no different, despite having TB from the very start.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't entirely agree even though I understand what you mean, but I do think you won't enjoy WotR if you don't like Kingmaker, so probably a good decision to drop them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom