Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mauman

Learned
I've read some novel with an Inquisitor whose team includes some oddball xenos... forgot the title, probably for the best.
Draco* by Ian Watson. Part of the Inquisitor Trilogy. Probably the other 2 books as well but I'm not familiar with them.

Not a xeno, but an abhuman (mutant) type known as a Squat (i.e. biker dwarves in SPACE).

Made relatively famous a few years back by "If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech device" when they did a review episode.

It's not a very good book :P

*Originally just called "Inquisitor", but renamed in the reprints.

Last edited:

Peachcurl

Cipher
I've read some novel with an Inquisitor whose team includes some oddball xenos... forgot the title, probably for the best.
Draco* by Ian Watson. Part of the Inquisitor Trilogy. Probably the other 2 books as well but I'm not familiar with them.

Not a xeno, but an abhuman (mutant) type known as a Squat (i.e. biker dwarves in SPACE).

Made relatively famous a few years back by "If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech device" when they did a review episode.

Oh, yeah. I remember that.

Actually not the one I meant. Pretty sure the inquisitor was female, and the alien supposedly has fur and a natural aptitude at fixing stuff / guns. Yes, a horribly stupid gimmick character.

Stoned Ape

Savant

Oh, yeah. I remember that.

Actually not the one I meant. Pretty sure the inquisitor was female, and the alien supposedly has fur and a natural aptitude at fixing stuff / guns. Yes, a horribly stupid gimmick character.
I've not read the book but that sounds like a Jokaero, they're actually official and from the original 40k Rogue Trader book. They also turn up in inquisition codexes.
WRhImgK.jpg

I'm pretty sure they were a reference to the Librarian in the discworld novels.

Last edited:

Peachcurl

Cipher
I've not read the book but that sounds like a Jokaero, they're actually official and from the original 40k Rogue Trader book. They also turn up in inquisition codexes.
WRhImgK.jpg

I'm pretty sure they were a reference to the Librarian in the discworld novels.

You are right, that fits, tho the details don't seem to be covered by the novel quite correctly. The whole weaponsmith concept makes some sense at least.

Humbaba

Arcane

Stoned Ape

Savant
They're missing the signature 40k cyborg eye but that's just what rogue traders tend to look like. Compare with this old ass mini

RTHistory-Sep10-YastobaalMini4d.jpg

Hm. I count 3 technological devices versus 0.
Well those are a gun and a grenade, things which I am sure you'll get a hold of in-game too.
Speaking of Jokaero, it looks like he has digital weapons on his left hand, too. Also, I think his left-writst bracelet is a forcefield generator of some type (probably a refractor field at a guess).

Stoned Ape

Savant
From that trailer, it looks as if they might possibly have a grid, which would be great. Also, some of the camera shots have been zoomed out further than the earlier ones, which is very nice to see.

I've still seen no real evidence of narrow corridors. I hope they'll have maps that feature them.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
These Cypriots sound oddly Slavic. XD

Today we offer the chance for a sneak peek into the development of Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader!
Delve into the grim darkness of the far future with Olga Kellner, our lead narrative designer, in this first ever dev diary for the upcoming game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Abnett is a balding cuck (being a man from Bongistan and all that), but the Gaunt´s Ghosts series keeps getting better and better tbh fam. Warmaster and Anarch are both fucking ace and as someone who followed the series since it started in 1999, I would say there is an upwards trajectory there (in itself an achievement given how good the early novels - especially Necropolis - were).

The weakest Abnett 40K book is IMO Horus Heresy: Legion and that came out about a decade ago in 2008.

How's the most recent Gaunt book (Vincula Insurgency)?

My copy arrived just a few days ago, so I cant tell yet in full. In any case its a prequel set at the very start of the series in terms of time line (before Necropolis) and it is similar to Warmaster and Anarch in terms of tone (ie. "40K Iraq/Afghanistan war" rather than the "40K WWII" in which the series started, in fact the book opens with a scene describing an aftermath of an IED attack on an Administratum official that Gaunt shows up to investigate).

I want to finish Grim Repast (a novel from a fairly new "40K Crime" line which is cool, since the last "pure" detective novels in 40K setting were the old Shira Calpurnia books) before I fully dive in, though I expect it to be p. good.

Just to get back to this, I am reading the Vincula Insurgency right now (finished Grim Repast, was p. gud, though I thought that the revelation about the captain of the original colony ship still being around was a bit whacky) and it’s a fucking blast. I mean, damn – this whole modern “40K Iraq war” shit is cranked up to 11 here (well, its in the name after all), its cool to revisit the old and long dead characters like Corbec and the writing is really superb. The book has some of the best combat scenes in the series, the focus (at least so far) is on small unit action as the Ghosts hunt anti-Imperium insurgents both in the countryside and in the cities, while Gaunt tries to investigate the raising number of IED attacks with the help of a group of Administratum officials and intelligence officers.

Shit is really cash, I hope we get more of these prequel books! Style is obviously quite different from the beginnings of the series, so if someone read the books in chronological order (First and Only, Vincula Insurgency, Ghost Maker, Necropolis and others) it would be quite a peculiar experience.

Anyway, excuse me while I get back to it, wanna do some more pages before I go to sleep.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
These Cypriots sound oddly Slavic. XD
Olga's linkedin:

Owlcat Games

5 years 6 months

Lead Narrative Designer

Nov. 2020 - present 1 year 9 months

Moscow, Moscow, Russia
Narrative Designer

Feb. 2017 - Nov. 2020 3 10 months

copywriter
Mail.ru Group

May 2012 – Feb. 2017 4 10 months

Moscow, Russia
Of course now on twitter

Narrative designer @ Owlcat Games. GM, diver, hobbyist artist.

Cyprus Born 1986

Checks out!

On a side note, it does feel weird that I'm now old enough to be two years older than a narrative lead on an RPG. Time marches on. +M

Yosharian

Arcane
That's really interesting because lots of people say Legion is one of the strongest books. I read a list of the 'best' books in the HH (because holy shit some of them are bad) and tried to use it - it suggested Legion as a must-read. Because I got to Fulgrim and bloody hell that was a struggle to get through.

But I found the opening of Legion to be utterly uninteresting and just.. bizarre. I dunno, maybe I should give it another try.

I desperately want to read the HH because I find it to be a fascinating story - and I fucking loved the initial set of books - but I keep getting stuck at the weaker books and giving up

Vermillion

Educated
So is it ironic or do you all take pride in being retards? Seems everyone's known it's gonna be based on a modified Rogue Trader/Dark Heresy ruleset so we already know what classes will exists, and what likely Elite advanced will be available. That includes what a space marine will be like, they they just straight port the rules for using Space Marine PCs in Rogue Trader. FF did that with all of their adventure packets and rulebooks for Warhammer. Was sperging out more fun than doing the most basic of research?

The rogue Psyker is asking for a Boltgun to the head, Eldar or Ork Companion sounds fun, even worth trading in the Space Marine and SoB for. As for backgrounds, Commissar and Navy look good, crime lord looks like a fag. Hopefully the game enables me to be a greedy bastard, but I expect the gameplay will suck. Probably won't even be able to make called shots like in Fallout. Hopefully they keep the gameplay as lethal as tabletop, nothing like guns doing 1d10 + 5 damage a hit when the average total HP a character gets is 8. Should make ammo a limited resource when planetside to balance the lasgun vs Solid projectile weapons. Although Rogue Trader did away with the limited ammo of Dark Heresy because keeping track is too difficult for the tabletop crowd. Graphics look like shit though, if WoTR is any indication, Chaos might be worth some cringe kino.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom