Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Yoomazir

Educated
We can criticize this game as much as we want but let's not forget one thing: at least it doesn't have bear sex.

Rhobar121

Scholar
We can criticize this game as much as we want but let's not forget one thing: at least it doesn't have bear sex.
What does this change? Now suddenly everyone will praise shitty games just because there's no bear sex in them?
The next stage is praising Ubi$oft's games.

jf8350143

Liturgist
They should let us recruit Ulfar earlier in the game, and give us more space marine equipment, that would solve a lot of problems.

Right now when you get him you have finished about 60% to 70% of the game, and late game barely has any space marine equipment (there are quite a few of them in the game but there is no way to get them other than the toybox).

Dayyālu

Arcane
Right now when you get him you have finished about 60% to 70% of the game, and late game barely has any space marine equipment (there are quite a few of them in the game but there is no way to get them other than the toybox).

Wait, how short is the effin' game? Are you telling me Chapter 2 is like 50-60% of the content?

Terra

Cipher
Why is it every fricking CRPG has to steal my entire inventory for plot reasons then when I reclaim it they never offer to re-equip everyone as they were before. Holy fucking shit, it's not even hard to implement yet name me one rpg that actually offers me said feature as a courtesy instead of expecting me to waste my time re equipping everyone for the sea of collectables you've just dumped into my inventory. The ability to save & recall loadouts from inventory should be a standard feature for this reason alone.

Also Jae really needs a better portrait.

Still enjoying it overall, same issue I had early on with CH1 Wrath - NPCs/companions are all frontloaded with boatloads of chatter then they mostly shut up after the initial exposition. Early game is falling all over itself to dumptruck a litany of 40K terminology all over your face, that too quietens down somewhat as you move through the game, thankfully. Have hit quite a few bugs, including some major ones but most could be worked around by reloading an earlier save.

notpl

Arbiter

Wait, how short is the effin' game? Are you telling me Chapter 2 is like 50-60% of the content?
That sounds about right, yes. The content split per chapter is roughly 10/50/15/15/10

Reinhardt

Arcane
They simply flat-out stop after the prologue. Dozens of chances for example for my Commissar background to shine through (the Commissar in Commoragh for example) and instead you get nothing. Worse than Wrath on this regard. Again, signs of poor coherency.
nigga, it's all shit. my priest can ask doloroso "wat is dis "emprah" thingy"

jf8350143

Liturgist

Act 4 has 4 main quests and bunch of companion quests.

The problem is all the system exlporing can be done by act 2, and they are designed for act 2 players. So in act 4 you don't have really any new star system to explore, which is the main content of act 2.

Harthwain

Magister
Why is it every fricking CRPG has to steal my entire inventory for plot reasons then when I reclaim it they never offer to re-equip everyone as they were before.
It's a memory challenge. :smug:

Also Jae really needs a better portrait.
Really? I thought her portrait is pretty good, although she looks more like a noble/Rogue Trader than a smuggler (well, I guess she is a RICH smuggler...).

REhorror

Educated
I spend like 10 minutes to re-assign everyone items when I got them back.
Oh well, part and parcel of CRPG.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
we have enough Dogmatic honestly and from DLC desc they are either Dogmatic or Iconoclast at best

frankly boring because it makes other path playthrough to make no sense especially Heretic path

Argenta Henric Pasquale and now Death Cult assassin and some police guy would shot Heretic RT in some of the dialogue but due to Owlcat-iness where these alignment doesn't matter until last 2 chapters they don't

REhorror

Educated
we have enough Dogmatic honestly and from DLC desc they are either Dogmatic or Iconoclast at best

frankly boring because it makes other path playthrough to make no sense especially Heretic path

Argenta Henric Pasquale and now Death Cult assassin and some police guy would shot Heretic RT in some of the dialogue but due to Owlcat-iness where these alignment doesn't matter until last 2 chapters they don't
I just read some spoilers, but basically Iconoclaust is basically Lesser Heresy and Heretical is basically Greater Heresy.

It is funny to see people (the Iconoclausts) trying to defend the xeno Yrliet's action while trashing the dogmatic characters tho. I feel like Owlcat is making a great filter by showing what they defend.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I just read some spoilers, but basically Iconoclaust is basically Lesser Heresy and Heretical is basically Greater Heresy.
you don't need to read spoilers for this.
it's probably easiest game ever to stay good and do right thing.

jf8350143

Liturgist
How exactly do you recruit Incendia Bastaal-Chorda?

I sided with her during the main quest, and she shows up at the end of act 4 but I don't get any option to ask her to join me. Is it because I only have level 3 dogmatic? Or do you need to be a Iconoclast and banishe her from the footfall to recruit her?

I did some research and people are saying she is the dogmatic route only but there are aslo people saying you can only recruit her if you are Iconoclausts.

If she is actually Iconoclausts only that means there is no secret companions for the dogmatic route?

ArchAngel

Arcane
How exactly do you recruit Incendia Bastaal-Chorda?

I sided with her during the main quest, and she shows up at the end of act 4 but I don't get any option to ask her to join me. Is it because I only have level 3 dogmatic? Or do you need to be a Iconoclast and banishe her from the footfall to recruit her?

I did some research and people are saying she is the dogmatic route only but there are aslo people saying you can only recruit her if you are Iconoclausts.

If she is actually Iconoclausts only that means there is no secret companions for the dogmatic route?
Ulfar is kind of a Dogmatic companion. With him you have 5 dogmatic characters for your party.

REhorror

Educated
So far I'm liking Chorda so that kinda makes an easy choice.
Oh well, let's see how Act 4 is like, I'm still on Murderspace.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been watching an LP of this and I don't get what the appeal is.

The chosen-wan cookie-cutter story. The forced dramatism, as you go through the most cliched RPG story tropes. Your intro NPC boss who bosses you around for just long enough to die at the end of the prologue. The inside job treachery of the "master of whispers". Combat encounters feel like I've already played this 10 times in the last 10 years. Suddenly, a black wizard lady appears.

Is there anything to surprise an old fart RPG player here? Like more-than-token C&C? Surprising story twists?

REhorror

Educated
I've been watching an LP of this and I don't get what the appeal is.

The chosen-wan cookie-cutter story. The forced dramatism, as you go through the most cliched RPG story tropes. Your intro NPC boss who bosses you around for just long enough to die at the end of the prologue. The inside job treachery of the "master of whispers". Combat encounters feel like I've already played this 10 times in the last 10 years. Suddenly, a black wizard lady appears.

Is there anything to surprise an old fart RPG player here? Like more-than-token C&C? Surprising story twists?
Just play it and find out, but yes, there are some twists and turns that you do not expect.

Harthwain

Magister
Iconoclast can range between lesser Heresy and lesser Dogmatic. Dogmatic can range between Stupidity/Denial and Pragmatic. Heresy is just Stupidity = mc^2.

It is funny to see people (the Iconoclausts) trying to defend the xeno Yrliet's action while trashing the dogmatic characters tho.
Here are my impressions from Yrliet so far:

1) She blindly trusts the Farseer until one man finds out something is wrong with the planet. Despite Eldars being longlife enemies of Chaos AND Yrliet herself living on the world for... years? That's a very sharp turn (and the whole plot makes Eldar look stupid. Not just Yrliet, but the race as a whole). The Farseer was even more stupid than her (sacrificing one of their own to the governor? WTF?) and taking the deal (if you are high enough on the Iconoclast tree) is probably a bad idea considering that Farseer's personality, so I just killed them all. An alliance is one thing. Eldars pretty much ruling the planet under the "protection" of a Rogue Trader is bad for business and too big betrayal of the Mankind to ignore.

2) She keeps secrets (which is a norm for the Eldar), but she does speak up at some point and does not lead the player into an ambush. If anything she tries to stop it, but her kin aren't listening.

3) When asked if Crudarch could be responsible for the rumours about xenos ravaging the sector she responds with "When a craftworld is beset by a calamity, its inhabitant do not start a war with every mon-keigh in the sector". This is a pretty stupid response considering we were literally on Janus and the very people from her craftworld were literally waging a war with the whole planet...

So all in all Yrliet's action suffer more from stupid plot, rather than Yrliet's being written particularly badly, but that may change in the future as I am just after Janus.

By the way, Janus. The last fight was so nail-baiting that I barely managed to claw my way to victory. Even Abelard wasn't about to parry the daemons forever, but he did so for long enough for me to kill the shooters and then the summoner. Then I was able to mop the the reminding enemies, after the additional summons dispersed.

Some thoughts about my roster:

1) At this point Cassia is a write-off, because I screwed up her build too much (she is too much an Officer and not enough a Navigator). I will replace her with Jae, who also is good with many skill checks AND can use many of the Eldar weapons we took.

2) Heinrix got Durukhai blade and Janus had a project that will give him Durukhai gun, so I will go with that.

3) Abelard will inherit Jae's Fractal Blade (25% bonus to parry! 40% armour penetration! 20 damage! Can use another Eldar blade with the off-hand!).

4) Yrliet is a very good sniper (as is my Rogue Trader).

5) Pasqal will get my Plasma Gun, since I can finally use Eldar weapons, so that gun I got from Jae will come in handy. I will also be using Shuriken Catapult, which is essentially better version of M40 Autogun (better armour penetration by 15% and slightly better damage and rate of fire). I am still unsure about Pasqal though. It feels like he is much better suited to be ranged damage dealer, rather than melee warrior I wanted him to be. He just doesn't seem to be able to parry as well as Abelard can, so I might be forced to cut him out of the team.

6) Argenta is great, even without a heavy bolter. But I might want to consider pumping up reputation with Drusians to give her that gun. I can imagine the havoc she could be wrecking with it...

7) Idira is on standby just in case. Frankly, she has very interesting items that only she can use due to being heretical scum, which makes her somewhat unique to play with.

So I will probably go with: Abelard, Heinrix, Jae, Argenta, Yrliet.

Last edited:

REhorror

Educated
Iconoclast can range between lesser Heresy and lesser Dogmatic. Dogmatic can range between Stupidity/Denial and Pragmatic. Heresy is just Stupidity = mc^2.

It is funny to see people (the Iconoclausts) trying to defend the xeno Yrliet's action while trashing the dogmatic characters tho.
Here are my impressions from Yrliet so far:

1) She blindly trusts the Farseer until one man find out something is wrong with the planet. Despite Eldars being longlife enemies of Chaos AND Yrliet herself living on the world for... years? That's a very sharp turn (and the whole plot makes Eldar look stupid. Not just Yrliet, but the race as a whole). The Farseer was even more stupid than her (sacrificing one of their own to the governor? WTF?) and taking the deal (if you are high enough on the Iconoclast tree) is probably a bad idea considering that Farseer's personality, so I just killed them all. An alliance is one thing. Eldars pretty much ruling the planet under the "protection" of a Rogue Trade is bad for business and too big betrayal of the Mankind to ignore.

2) She keeps secrets (which is a norm for the Eldar), but she does speak up at some point and does not lead the player into an ambush. If anything she tries to stop it, but her kin aren't listening.

3) When asked if Crudarch could be responsible for the rumours about xenos ravaging the sector she responds with "When a craftworld is beset by a calamity, its inhabitant do not start a war with every mon-keigh in the sector". This is a pretty stupid response considering we were literally on Janus and the very people from her craftworld were literally wagain a war with the whole planet...

So all in all Yrliet's action suffer more from stupid plot, rather than Yrliet's being written particularly badly, but that may change in the future as I am just after Janus.

By the way, Janus. The last fight was so nail-baiting that I barely managed to claw my way to victory. Even Abelard wasn't about to parry the daemons forever, but he did so for long enough for me to kill the shooters and then the summoner. Then I was able to mop the the reminding enemies, after the additional summons dispersed.

Some thought about my roster:

1) At this point Cassia is a write-off, because I screwed up her build too much (she is too much an Officer and not enough a Navigator). I will replace her with Jae, who also is good with many skill checks AND can use many of the Eldar weapons we took.

2) Heinrix got Durukhai blade and Janus had a project that will give him Durukhai gun, so I will go with that.

3) Abelard will inherit Jae's Fractal Blade (25% bonus to parry! 40% armour penetration! 20 damage! Can use another Eldar blade with the off-hand!).

4) Yrliet is a very good sniper (as is my Rogue Trader).

5) Pasqal will get my Plasma Gun, since I can finally use Eldar weapons, so that gun I got from Jae will come in handy. I will also be using Shuriken Catapult, which is essentially better version of M40 Autogun (better armour penetration by 15% and slightly better damage and rate of fire). I am still unsure about Pasqal though. It feels like he is much better suited to be ranged damage dealer, rather than melee warrior I wanted him to be. He just doesn't seem to be able to parry as well as Abelard can, so I might be forced to cut him out of the team.

6) Argenta is great, even without a heavy bolter. But I might want to consider pumping up reputation with Drusians to give her that gun. I can imagine the havoc she could be wrecking with it...

7) Idira is on standby just in case. Frankly, she has very interesting items that only she can use due to being heretical scum, which makes her somewhat unique to play with.

So I will probably go with: Abelard, Heinrix, Jae, Argenta, Yrliet.
Oh boy, just wait until you get to Act 3.

She will do something where EVEN she admits it's stupid.

I think her character is still somewhat OK during Janus, outside of the fact she decides to side with humanity, which seems supsicious to me.

Harthwain

Magister
I think her character is still somewhat OK during Janus, outside of the fact she decides to side with humanity, which seems supsicious to me.
It is less suspicious for me, considering that Eldar consider Chaos to be the greater enemy than Humanity. This is a very common reason in games to cause Mankind to fight alongside the Eldar (at least indirectly), rather than fight them. With the caveat that it's just a temporary alliance and then it's back to business, which is everyone fighting everyone, because in 40K There Can Be Only War. So the basic idea was fine, but the execution was poor. In some places even extremely poor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom