Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
That AI video is atrocious.

Man, this is probably the best Warhammer 40.000 RPG we got till now

This is also, to my knowledge, the only 40k cRPG. If we expand it to arpgs, then there's Inquisitor Martyr, but that's about it.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Technicaly, there was a CYOA game called Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion where you play as an Imperial Fists Terminator boarding a space hulk - it had some RPG mechanics, though I might be one of like 10 people that ever played it and it was withdrawn from Steam long ago.

In any case Rogue Trader is the first "proper" 40K RPG with party members, dialogues and other things that go with that. Hopefuly its success will pave the way for more.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
>Event takes away 50 PF out of the blue

:rage:

e: Okay, Keep Your Distance is funny. It makes enemies just fall over all of a sudden around you, makes me laugh every time.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dont recall that conversation, but being a Terminator might simply mean having Terminator Honours, which is sort of a space marine medal that gives the bearer right to use Terminator armor. However not all marines choose to use Terminator armor since it doesnt suit their style.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dont recall that conversation, but being a Terminator might simply mean having Terminator Honours, which is sort of a space marine medal that gives the bearer right to use Terminator armor. However not all marines choose to use Terminator armor since it doesnt suit their style.
You can talk to him about it after you beat Uralon and return to the bridge.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Fucking Dargonus, to be able to build rank 5 buildings you must have 7 in all 3 stats to make a Bastion that is prereq for all 3 rank 5. Stupid design.
And rank 4 and 5 buildings are hidden in Act 2 while deciding what rank 1 to 3 to build.. like most of the game this part was also left unfinished, unbalanced and unpolished..

std::namespace

tpSgWTF.png

argenta simps on suicide watch

ArchAngel

Arcane
shouldnt it stop wildfire from becoming free?
No. WildFire was always meant to be free. Who knows what they "fixed" here.
What they did fuck up for Ulfar (and others) is if you got a talent that makes it so if you do a melee kill it reduces ranged attacks AP cost by -1 but they cannot go lower then 1, they forced that 1 AP cost even when you are supposed to get a free attack with Wilfire or one from Heroic ability... that attack still costs 1 AP :D
I found if I switch to my other hand where Heavy Stubber is, the game will still let me do that 0 AP attack but not with main hand where I got a melee weapon and plasma pistol. I could do this normally before. So for free attacks I switch to other hand, but that talent still lets me do Plasma Pistol AoE attack for 1 AP so I still make it work and didn't remove that talent.

WildFire has a different bug. After you do its free attack you can do more attacks if you got leftover AP because it resets the allowed number of attacks in the turn.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also the reputation system is so strange. I got 60000 rep with drusians and they are only like lvl 18 or so and only half way. I got 70000 rep with Explorators and they are lvl 30 or so and I almost got to last items on their list..
And I focused on getting buildings that give me rep with factions and didn't spread around that much. Kabaliska is only at level to grab some SM stuff and Void I mostly ignored. Imperial Navy was maxed out half way into Act 4 and I got thousands of reputation points of cargo from space battles that now have no purpose.
Everything about it feels buggy and unpolished.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Also the reputation system is so strange. I got 60000 rep with drusians and they are only like lvl 18 or so and only half way. I got 70000 rep with Explorators and they are lvl 30 or so and I almost got to last items on their list..
And I focused on getting buildings that give me rep with factions and didn't spread around that much. Kabaliska is only at level to grab some SM stuff and Void I mostly ignored. Imperial Navy was maxed out half way into Act 4 and I got thousands of reputation points of cargo from space battles that now have no purpose.
For some reason, Explorators have a project that gives 20k rep.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For some reason, Explorators have a project that gives 20k rep.
Sure but that is now what I am talking about. I am talking about how much reputation each level needs. For some reason Explorators and Kabalisca are much cheaper than Drusians. Like when they made stuff cheaper in one of the previous patches they skipped Drusians.. Owlcat_Eyler

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Finished.
I needed Toybox occasionally to fix things in the later acts but things weren't too bad with the latest patch.
The ending slides were a bit confused but that's what happens when you go Iconocuck. Overall a decent assortment of results. Many choices I didn't expect to matter in the end.

The writing isn't bad but the game is mainly held back by bugs and the weird character system. It also doesn't help that many important cutscenes are lacking music and thus impact.

REhorror

Educated
Cassia's romance final quest and romance are buggy as fuck.

I have to use Toybox to manually set the flag and makes sense of the whole thing:
ZdDy8PQ.jpg

Well, decide on this ending, I don't think the whole noble house is gonna work out anyway, both sides look like idiots.

Saduj

Arcane
I finished last night. I don't doubt the people saying the game is buggy and breaks easily but that was not my experience. I hit a few situations where I had to exit and reload in order to fix minor issues but never had any quests broken or anything like that. After I killed edgelord dark elf in the arena, I did get a dialogue option as if he had given me advice on the ship near the end of Act 3 but he stayed dead in Acts 4 and 5.

My character was split between dogmatic and iconoclast and I think I got the good "does what is best for himself" ending. Colonies got good endings except Kiava Gamma, which was mostly good with caveat. Not sure if I left some looming threat there or if the game was just leaving possibilities open for DLC with that slide. The only faction rep I maxed was imperial navy so the rest of them got neutral endings. Companions got good considering this is Warhammer endings . Jae had some mixed results and I have no idea what I could have done to prevent mysterious rogue trader from destroying her little empire. Who is this supposed to be? I also apparently let Pasqal become a heretic cult leader/potential future threat by allowing him to choose the resolution to his own quest. Not even sure if this is supposed to be a bad ending for him. I've seen another version that was worse.

I was surprised that the non-combat bridge officers got their own slides. I didn't talk to them much and just got neutral results for everyone except for Factotum, who had one of the most positive endings. Also, at some point I started ignoring NOMOS so I didn't get any of his options for the ending, which is fine as I probably wouldn't have messed with that anyway.

Overall lesson is to check in with everyone frequently and ask about their personal lives if you care about ending slides.

REhorror

Educated
Technicaly, there was a CYOA game called Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion where you play as an Imperial Fists Terminator boarding a space hulk - it had some RPG mechanics, though I might be one of like 10 people that ever played it and it was withdrawn from Steam long ago.

In any case Rogue Trader is the first "proper" 40K RPG with party members, dialogues and other things that go with that. Hopefuly its success will pave the way for more.
I need this game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finished last night. I don't doubt the people saying the game is buggy and breaks easily but that was not my experience. I hit a few situations where I had to exit and reload in order to fix minor issues but never had any quests broken or anything like that. After I killed edgelord dark elf in the arena, I did get a dialogue option as if he had given me advice on the ship near the end of Act 3 but he stayed dead in Acts 4 and 5.

My character was split between dogmatic and iconoclast and I think I got the good "does what is best for himself" ending. Colonies got good endings except Kiava Gamma, which was mostly good with caveat. Not sure if I left some looming threat there or if the game was just leaving possibilities open for DLC with that slide. The only faction rep I maxed was imperial navy so the rest of them got neutral endings. Companions got good considering this is Warhammer endings . Jae had some mixed results and I have no idea what I could have done to prevent mysterious rogue trader from destroying her little empire. Who is this supposed to be? I also apparently let Pasqal become a heretic cult leader/potential future threat by allowing him to choose the resolution to his own quest. Not even sure if this is supposed to be a bad ending for him. I've seen another version that was worse.

I was surprised that the non-combat bridge officers got their own slides. I didn't talk to them much and just got neutral results for everyone except for Factotum, who had one of the most positive endings. Also, at some point I started ignoring NOMOS so I didn't get any of his options for the ending, which is fine as I probably wouldn't have messed with that anyway.

Overall lesson is to check in with everyone frequently and ask about their personal lives if you care about ending slides.
I used to click on everyone often and rarely they had anything to say. Only just at start of new act or after doing their companion quest anyone had anything new. Loading tooltip says to talk to character often but that shit lies.
I think I tried to get new info from Vox Master like 20 times, only time he gave me anything was start of Act 4 when he gives you a bunch of rumours and the nothing else later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom