Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Ebonsword

Arcane
Finally got around to picking this up last week. I've really been enjoying it so far. Or, rather, I was until I got to the Drukhari city. WTF were they thinking? It feels like the beginning of a sequel (ala Irenicus' dungeon in BG2) rather than a continuation of the game I'd been playing up until that point. It's been a real slog to get through.

Also, after the revelations thus far, I think, on my next playthrough, I'm going to defenestrate everyone but Abelard and Cassia and create the rest of my party from scratch.
If you are playing Dogmatic you might want to wait until end of act 4 before making this claim :D
Also what did Heinrix do to you? He has been a true follower of the Emperor.
Also didn't you find Ulfar yet?

I'm playing Iconoclast (mostly--still need to massacre some idiots/xenos every once in a while to show you're not a pushover).

I'm a bit pissed at Heinrix for betraying me to that other Inquisitor in Act 2. Also, from a combat perspective, I feel like I could build a much psyker than he is (but I may have just messed up building him).

As for Ulfar, I found him in that lab and talked to him, but never seemed to get a chance to recruit him. Might have fucked something up, there.
If you are talking about Lord Inquisitor, he has no choice. It is his direct boss, not following his orders = death. Also like Sisters of Battle, younger acolyte Inquisitors are brainwashed to trust their mission and superiors.
They need to survive for a bit longer and experience lots of shit before they can start thinking more for themselves. Also Heinrix told you from the start he is there as much to watch you as he is to help you.
As for his build, you kind of take Psyker powers and raise melee relevant stats and talents for psyker powers. You can respec him once you are on a bridge. Making NPC that works like him is harder as he starts with two psyker focuses (and Indira does too) but you can only get one and you can take another one instead of one of the abilities/powers.

Thanks! I totally missed that there was a respec option. I guess I never clicked on it when talking with Janris.

4too

Arcane
Loving Big B-other

As contextual filter, a pre post modern perspective,

In regards to processdaemon 's dismay, no locality for the UK.

Isn't the UK in "Oceania"?

origin-272.jpg

4too

Erebus

Arcane
I'm surprised that people have even managed to finish this game. I've stopped playing two weeks ago because an essential dialogue was broken in the quest "Price of Humanity" in Act IV. I've just tried again and the dialogue is still fucking broken : Emelina simply stops talking to you and you can't talk to her again.

Jinn

Arcane
Jesus, Owlcat. Try finishing developing your game before releasing it next time. I was considering giving this a try when the next major patch dropped, but it seems like waiting a full year would be the smarter move.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Jesus, Owlcat. Try finishing developing your game before releasing it next time. I was considering giving this a try when the next major patch dropped, but it seems like waiting a full year would be the smarter move.
Two years is better

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So which is better and less buggy game. This? Or Doki Doki Literature Club Plus!. Or Spells and Secrets?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Next(first) mayor patch is close now and it seems it will also include big improvements like more VO (and fully VO prologue), UI improvements and such.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Next(first) mayor patch is close now and it seems it will also include big improvements like more VO (and fully VO prologue), UI improvements and such.
More VO? That's kinda crazy for a patch.

Do you guys think their games going to be Fully Voiced Acted? I noticed that the lack of Voice acting is being criticized in every review.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
I'm surprised that people have even managed to finish this game. I've stopped playing two weeks ago because an essential dialogue was broken in the quest "Price of Humanity" in Act IV. I've just tried again and the dialogue is still fucking broken : Emelina simply stops talking to you and you can't talk to her again.
This one will be fixed in a big patch which is coming soon (soon indeed)

flyingjohn

Arcane
More like several years. After a year they will announce the "fixed " edition and years later the patches to fix the "fixed" bugs.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Do you guys think their games going to be Fully Voiced Acted? I noticed that the lack of Voice acting is being criticized in every review.
Full VO is not needed or wanted. BG3 did it badly, especially when they got bad voice actors and GM one is also bad.

More VO then currently would be good. Main quest conversations and companions should be enough. Maybe parts of some bigger sidequests as well just to give us an idea of how some important NPC sounds and acts.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer

Yep, the prologue will be fully voiced(in this upcoming patch). We see all the reviews asking the VO

Ryzer

Arcane
Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist

Disco Elysium did a full VO patch, I assume something similar for RT is out of the question given the game's scope and potential tail at this point.
Owlcat's design is too "Bioware" to be skipping out on VO at this point, it's a production standard too low for what a non-negligible amount the intended audience expects, contemporary RPG audiences just don't like reading.

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Full voice acting is what reduced the dialog options in RPG's.
Only an issue in games w/ voiced protagonist which shouldn't be assumed anymore since BG3 is the new standard.
*I also suspect the damage is more due to deliberate design decisions (Bioware's binary morality fixation, Geralt being an established character with a limited range of appropriate expression, Fallout 4's 4 choices no more no less mandate, etc.) than voice work being THAT much of a burden.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Disco Elysium did a full VO patch, I assume something similar for RT is out of the question given the game's scope and potential tail at this point.
Owlcat's design is too "Bioware" to be skipping out on VO at this point, it's a production standard too low for what a non-negligible amount the intended audience expects, contemporary RPG audiences just don't like reading.
Honestly, i think BG3 launch is the real issue. I didn't noticed as much complain and mention of lack of Voice acting in reviews and places like steam before 2023. Like it existed but people way more vocal about and how much of a deal break is.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Full voice acting is what reduced the dialog options in RPG's.
Only an issue in games w/ voiced protagonist which shouldn't be assumed anymore since BG3 is the new standard.
*I also suspect the damage is more due to deliberate design decisions (Bioware's binary morality fixation, Geralt being an established character with a limited range of appropriate expression, Fallout 4's 4 choices no more no less mandate, etc.) than voice work being THAT much of a burden.
Fallout 4 only 4 choices is because of full VO, they needed to record less responses.. I guess with AI full VO should become much cheaper and easier to implement, at least for more generic characters.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Fallout 4 only 4 choices is because of full VO, they needed to record less responses..
Average Fallout 4 dialogue:
tdQ9FFV.png

Emil & Friends couldn't be bothered to consistently provide 4 distinct dispositions. The Telltale-esque presentation and voice acting are an obfuscation, not a hinderance.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
full voice acting is about the least important thing to fix this game

clusterfuck balance should be the priority

ArchAngel

Arcane
full voice acting is about the least important thing to fix this game

clusterfuck balance should be the priority
Why not both?
They can make both casuals and nerds happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom