Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2 by Saber Interactive - Titus takes on the Tyranids

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We're thrilled to unveil a Developer Diary today, taking you behind the scenes for a glimpse at all the work that went into creating Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2. This BTS Dev Diary even includes a handful of brand-new gameplay shots!

Caim

Arcane
I still don't have the feeling that the Marines have some actual mass to them, they look floaty. Sure, the Primaris are supposed to be stronger and faster, but that also makes them larger and bulkier.

And I don't know what to make of the whole "Titus is a relic of the past" thing; in 40k that is very much a good thing but it's talked about as if he's outdated and no longer necessary.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
When it was in the hands of...Relic/THQ wasn't it? The marines were done really well, heaviness wise. Hope they don't blow it, basically made the game.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Leaks coming out of Arch Warhammers Discord - this guy leaked the Amazon trouble so these may be valid...

qevm44.png

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Well that lools like incredible decline compared to the original - that had some dlc skins but it wasnt GAAS, which completely fucked Darktide. Hopefully they dont hate their own game or its players enough to pull that shit. (They will. Oh, they will) *checks to see if tencent owns a share*

Vatnik Wumao
Development build of Space Marine 2 just leaked.
Source is unknown. It was just randomly posted on a tracker.
Dated 20/06/24 ~75GB in size
Includes server binaries (Even a linux one) so you can play with friends
It is a dev build so it includes a debug exe and a dev playground
Has a bunch of placeholders however the game seems to be playable start to finish. There are quite a few missing strings and images in UI elements

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The magnet link is on RuTracker
It's only about 69Gb, will finnish downloading it later (provided it hasn't been deleted by then) and will try to play the Deathwatch opening level (provided my pc doesn't shit itself lol)
According to /v/, the leak is mainly just a bunch of disconnected single player level segments to playtest.

Anyway, I like that footage, the game seems quite visceral

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Fortunately the torrent wasn't taken down
Unfortunately my GPU (8 year old RX480) predictably shits itself trying to run this :lol:

I can make it to the menus fine, I can even watch the intro cutscene, but the game just crashes when loading the "game" proper
Will try it out on my laptop (will have to check if for viruses, can never know with these dastardly russian hackers)

From the build state they are clearly in the final polish stage - there's a few placeholders in the menus and you can't rebind keyboard inputs
The program to start the game is interesting - basically you select the level file you want to load, you configure a server (it's localhost as default) and start the game
You can also start the game directly from the executable: Build_2024_06_20\client_pc\root\bin\pc\MagnusClientRetail.exe
There's around 20 story and pve level files, plus a few pvp ones
Oh and there's no installation required, you download the torrent files and that's it - the game still isn't compressed
There's a menu option that toggles helmet visibility:

I like the Main Menu theme:

Curious, that in my case the build already has the main menu buttons in its final form and not that placeholder title. I wonder if there's different builds leaked...

The intro cutscene was also pretty cool
The production values for this game are clearly high, but the there's plenty of attention to detail regarding 40k lore (for example during the Deathwatch intro section Titus has his right pauldron covered because technically he had no chapter at that point)
Much like the first game, immersing players into the 40k setting seem part of the appeal

There's 4 difficultyies - Story, Saga, Epic and Necrology:

And that's the extent of what I can comment...

There's been plenty of discussion on /v/ and the consensus so far is that it's fun. Like the first game but with greater variety of content (definitely more than Darktide kek) and punchier game feel.
The new parry mechanic is cool and the armor/regen/execution mechanic has been reworked to integrate these additions.
The 3rd difficulty is challenging but not hard

And of course the whole story has been spoiled - it's fine, a bit of a rehash of 1 but it has its own developments and unique moments
I'll just spoil the one thing everyone has been meming
Leandros is back
And not as a cameo but a supporting character

And that's it so far...
Here's some pics:
1721242416622040.jpg
1721161560245385.jpg
1721152485003887.jpg
1721140812974599.png
1721151770869455.jpg
1721175795511397.png
1721142092759771.png
1721154215222463.png

1721254945354338.jpg
1721244191564822.jpg
1721237271305014.jpg

Cadians:
1721143197490611.png
1721302693446408.jpg
1721266897506772.png
1721293773731624.jpg
1721358882112877.jpg

Multiplayer Map :
1721186419592345.png

That's not a building in the back, but a Titan

Chainsword Combos:
1721146082499259.jpg

Doesn't seem much different from the first game

Last edited:
what damage is there to control? it's an incomplete but perfectly working game. it's not like leaked half-life 2 which proved that everything shown up to that point was so goddamn fucking fake that in comparison oblivion's radiant ai looked like a fully working marvel of technology.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
what damage is there to control?
story spoilers I guess

it's not like leaked half-life 2 which proved that everything shown up to that point was so goddamn fucking fake that in comparison oblivion's radiant ai looked like a fully working marvel of technology.
:what:

what?
first time hearing this
could you expand please (or provide link)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Added a few new images to the big post

Aside from that, some anons have been messing around in the Dev Room and found list of assets - weapons, enemies and chapter armors respectively
Keep in mind that not all them are found in-game (some seen to be incomplete and/or cut assets)

Dev Room :
ppoqw3.jpg

Weapons (power axe seems to be the only weapon not returning from the original game)
image.png

Enemies
1721233775637150.png

Chapters
1721233339832835.png

randir14

Augur
I hope it really is a year-old build as they claim, because performance is awful and it doesn't have any DLSS/FSR/XESS which should be standard in PC games these days. I was only getting 40-50 fps at 4K/ultra with a 4080 Super, dropping to medium settings only gave me ~10 more fps. On the positive side the guns sound and feel as powerful as they should. Bolters blow smaller Tyranids into pieces with one shot.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Aside from that, some anons have been messing around in the Dev Room and found list of assets - weapons, enemies and chapter armors respectively
Keep in mind that not all them are found in-game (some seen to be incomplete and/or cut assets)

Dev Room :
ppoqw3.jpg

Weapons (power axe seems to be the only weapon not returning from the original game)
image.png

Enemies
1721233775637150.png

Chapters
1721233339832835.png
Okay but who cares?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Dev Room :
ppoqw3.jpg

image.png

Enemies
1721233775637150.png

Chapters
1721233339832835.png
Okay but who cares?
Servants of the Emperor.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
No, seriously, what is the benefit here? It's a dev room on a leaked alpha. It says nothing about the quality of the actual finished game. Who gives a shit.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
because performance is awful and it doesn't have any DLSS/FSR/XESS which should be standard in PC games these days. I was only getting 40-50 fps at 4K/ultra with a 4080 Super, dropping to medium settings only gave me ~10 more fps.
Hope the game is proper optimized
Although I don't think 40-50fps on the highest graphical settings is particularly bad, considering you're playing it on 4k - that shit is always at least 30 to 40 fps less compared to 2k
Specially considering you're not using the 4k killer gpu, the 4090

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No, seriously, what is the benefit here? It's a dev room on a leaked alpha.
More like a very late beta
The benefit is that we can test every gameplay asset and mechanic

It says nothing about the quality of the actual finished game.
Read nigga:
There's been plenty of discussion on /v/ and the consensus so far is that it's fun. Like the first game but with greater variety of content (definitely more than Darktide kek) and punchier game feel.
The new parry mechanic is cool and the armor/regen/execution mechanic has been reworked to integrate these additions.
The 3rd difficulty is challenging but not hard

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Holy shit managed to get the game running
All I had to do was change the Texture Filtering setting from Low to Medium
My old busted RX480 gets around 30 to 40fps, as well frequent suttering (heard the game supposedly has a memory leak)
Regardless, if you have something at least as powerful as a GTX 1080ti, you should have no problems getting the game running at a consistent 60fps
Anyway, it meets the expectations of my earlier posts
If you liked the first game, you'll like this one
It's fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom