Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2 by Saber Interactive - Titus takes on the Tyranids

Retardo

Learned
Game jumped from Mixed to Positive by suddenly getting 5000 reviews. Curious.

Might be just ppl getting to actually play the game instead of being stuck at the loading screen.

Anyway, my impressions after playing for 7 hours:

- gaym is horendously unoptimised, the technical state is p. bad (it literally takes like 10 minutes to boot up, then once you click New Game or Continue it takes another 10 minutes of black screen, yesterday I legit thought it doesnt even work)
- once the game gets going I had horrible performance during the intro (the game freezing while the sound kept playing)
- once you actually start playing though it runs smoothly on my rig on the highest settings, so there is that at least
- there is a stronk female Cadian colonel and a nigga Ultrasmurf
- playing the campaign on the highest difficulty is actually p. rad, before I got into the control scheme I literally had to fight for my life whenever I ran into a Tyranid Warrior, there are some p. crazy fights (the end of the mission on the jungle world where you activate the orbital defense guns against a Tyranid hive ship took me like 10 attempts, very intense shit tbh fam), like the gameplay more than the first Space Marine game
- PvP MP is decent though feels somewhat clunky, the Mass Effect 3 MP IMO still remains unmatched when it comes to TPS popamole MP action (there are three game modes, the number of maps seems p. small right now)
- PvE MP likewise decent though nothing to write home about
- graphics is really nice and whatever they did to allow these massive hordes of gaunts and gargoyls is p. fucking ace, the scenes when you see a wave of bugs coming at you over the horizon are great

A few screenshots:
View attachment 54625

View attachment 54626

View attachment 54627

P. sure the game will end up with Highly Positive rating on Steam as it is actually p. gud as far as TP shooters/slashers go. The devs will have to fucking fix it and make it run normally before that happens though. I would say that the vast majority of the negative reviews at the moment are of the "OMG black screen at launch" variety.

As for the Epic, you dont need an acount for MP, the gaym wants to install some stuff to allow cross play with Epic owners, but you dont have to install it.
Jeez, you first screenshot is blurry as hell.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Whose idea was it to make armor regenerate but not health? That's completely retarded.
It's actually a sensible and pratical design solution

Due to the frequency of combat encounters and quantity of enemies, the damage the player sustains over time is enormous
A standard Health Bar system would've require the player to take an asinine amount of health packs and also could lead to situations where the player's concern was finding med kits instead fighting (which would go against goal of an agressive combat system)
Regenerating Health would've also been impractical as given the chaos of battles, it would've been impossible to find an acceptable the balance between hp regen being "too fast" or "too slow" (specially considering the campgain needs to get progressively more challenging)

Really a shield wich can only take a fixed amount of damage and only regenerate after a certain time frame of no damge, is a graceful solution to keep both the intesity of battles and the focus on a agressive playstyle
It gives the player some leniency regarding mistakes and allows him to an extent ignore the lesser threats so he can tackle the big ones

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
A standard Health Bar system would've require the player to take an asinine amount of health packs and also could lead to situations where the player's concern was finding med kits instead
But that's exactly what's happening anyway.

You guys are trying to way hard to doompost, every single issue you spoke of was far worse in the original game
Combat in SM1 worked. Here it doesn't.

Game is garbage and I'm looking forward to the reviews come monday. Certified MIXED on Steam!

1725735787238.png

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
A standard Health Bar system would've require the player to take an asinine amount of health packs and also could lead to situations where the player's concern was finding med kits instead
But that's exactly what's happening anyway.
If you think its that bad, you would be pulling out your hairs had the game used a standard Health system
Also have you considered to git gud?

You guys are trying to way hard to doompost, every single issue you spoke of was far worse in the original game
Combat in SM1 worked. Here it doesn't.
Anyone that played both games would know your statement is pure contrarianism
But given that you were complaining about the shield system (a mechanic present in SM1 which wasn't changed at all in SM2), I am willing to bet you didn't play SM1

In SM1:
SM2 from what I've played and what I've seen from the leak suffers from none of the above
Additionally the level design is better

Certified MIXED on Steam!

1725735787238.png
:nocountryforshitposters:

Nigga, who gives a fuck about Steam discussions and ratings

Last edited:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I finished SM1 on the hardest difficulty and it was fun. This isn't fun, it's a mess of systems that don't work together.

Your opinion is the odd one out here and Monday will prove me right.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
PH8OICX.png

Quite a nice "twist".

EDIT: Finished the campaign. I see the thread is mostly negative, as is tradition here, but I thought it was decent. The story was serviceable and had it's moments. The beginning is a bit annoying when most of the dialogue with your squad revolves around them asking Titus about his backstory and him just refusing to give any details (which makes sense in the story, but is just repeated too many times for my liking). Once that part is done and the story ramps up it definitely got better. Additionally, didn't really like the sequel bait at the end.
The game also looks very good both in terms of fidelity and aesthetics. I'm also glad that they were able to bring more diversity in locations compared to SM1.
Regarding combat, I'm still not feeling it. Not for single-player at least. I finished it on veteran difficulty and while it was a challenge in some places, which I enjoy, I thought it was difficult in very annoying ways. I ended up carrying the sniper rifle at all times in the last few hours since I would be able to dispatch of Rubric Marines from a distance and from cover in order to minimize all the chip damage I would get if I tried to engage them in melee or mid-range combat. Which is not how I imagined the game would be played. I have a lot more to say about this, especially regarding specific enemies, but I don't want to write a wall of text here. Plus I still feel like there's something about the combat I'm not getting whether it's because I'm just too bad or the game is more suited towards co-op. To summaries, combat - very annoying a lot of the times, satisfying when it actually clicks.
I also feel like there was a missed opportunity to implement the weapon/character customization system from the MP to the SP. I assume there were some time-constraints otherwise I don't see a good reason not to have them from a gameplay perspective.
I have encountered a few bugs here and there, nothing game-breaking. I also feel like the game could use a QoL pass. No FoV slider, no subtitles for the data-slates. Hell, I'm surprised there was no in-game codex. If the game is supposed to introduce new people to 40k, I imagine they would be quite confused by all the terms and names getting thrown around.
Haven't tried the multiplayer yet at all, so I'll have to see how that plays out.

Last edited:

VonMiskov

Educated
I got to the generator defense and I gave up. From what I read when you fight more singular enemies the game gets a tad better than fighting the retarded swarm.

Regarding the combat being good. Overall the game punishes you for using ranged weapons in the first half of the game, you either are inaccurate in firing from hip or too slow while using iron sights. Most enemies will close on you before you can do any damage with bolters. The only worthy bolters are the sniper ones but they are useless in fighting swarms.
The guns also lack any oomph, one of the most powerful weapons of the empire and it takes massive amounts of ammo to kill Tyranid Warriors if they are not blocking your shots :lol:
There's also no feedback from ranged combat or really any combat. You are shooting with canonically a minirockets and when you shoot anything there's nothing, they just die.
When using the Pyroblaster it's like shooting into air while enemy is on some other plain of existence. While being at it - the flamethrower is used mostly when you need to fend of the tiny tyranids but if you not shoot at them they will just scatter around if you have some forcefield around you. There's even a line on them when you move around them and really has to use the flamethrower only when they turn into vortex that you have to dodge.

Whose idea was it to make armor regenerate but not health? That's completely retarded
Same as the first game you poser, you want health start executing.

In SM2 executing doesn't really regenerate health it regenerades the armor, you would have to be lightning fast to regenerate the white missing part but you usually can execute only the ranged stunned characters to which you mostly have to run to - so the possible health back is nigh or to execute the bigger ones, which usually means you have no health to regenerate.

In SM1:
  • enemy design was overly simplistic but they were also damage sponges

It took me 80 bullets from the bolter to kill single Zoanthrope (the flying buffing tyranid) and you can't kill it in any other way. It takes 3 shots from multimelta to kill single Tyranid Warrior. Multimelta in canon is one of the most powerful anti-tank weapons that can kill a SM in a single shot and shot through tanks. How enemy design here is not simplisitic and in SM1 was? Because you can parry some attacks and instakill the rubble with parry. And once more - the game punish you for using guns. You can kill Tyranid Warrior with parry, shot in the face that stun locks him into execution mode but you have to shot 50 bullets to kill him otherwise.

• melee combat lacked defensive options and really melee weapons were ultimately inefficient - in the harder difficulties they were the quickest way to get yourself killed, specially in the later part of the game

Wow because here you can or rather have to parry some attacks and it's easier to kill the bigger enemies this way because range combat is shit in SM2. That's some better design here. Give those devs a reward. The melee combat in SM1 was the way to heal yourself, the game was designed around being aggresive and executing enemies. Here you have to fight melee because in playing with bots anything else is shit because you get swarmed otherwise.

Additionally the level design is better

Mofo, the levels here are litteraly a one singular line, with a small branch that either is empty or have ammo, medipacks, ressurection relic. There's no exploration here, it's claustrophobic as fuck. Or you rather want to say the game is prettier than the first one and has jungle instead of canyons. Yeah, better level design because the corridor is in jungle not in a factory. 10/10 best level design since the last AAA slop.

A standard Health Bar system would've require the player to take an asinine amount of health packs and also could lead to situations where the player's concern was finding med kits instead fighting (which would go against goal of an agressive combat system)

You mean this is why this game have medipacks that you can carry up to 2, that restore half your health.
Regenerating armor bars, that regenerate by themselves and when you execute an enemy.
Two ressurections by your companions and literal ressurection relic that allows you to ressurect by yourself. :lol:

Every single mission so far was running in a corridor fighting pods of enemies (with more pods later on), assemble in lift, fighting a boss, assemble in lift, defense part of the mission, assemble in lift , fight some more pods or end the mission.
And the defensive parts, solo with bots are beyond retarded pure luck shit. I'm at the v-something generator, survived two waves and now I have the third wave. 33% of remaining generator life. Suddenly I have two flying buffers that I have to fire 4 magazines of ammo to kill a single one while dodging them. In the distance I have a sniper whom I can't really fight because I'm dodging this two fuckers. In the mean time the regular rubble is throwing themselves into the reactor or attacking me. While the bot-marines are doing fuck know what but definitely not helping me.

Yes, great game design 10/10 GOTY of the century.

Not too mention I was one shotted a couple of times having 3/4 of the health bar by something off screen because I couldn't see it with that 40 degree FOV. Git GUD.

Health regeneration with exections in Space Marine 1:

Health regeneration with exections in Space Marine 2:

Same as the first game you poser, you want health start executing. :retarded:

Look at this guy loosing 99% of his health bar by something shooting from who knows where. GOTY 2024.
You can also clearly see here how he regenerated health by executing... his medipack. Git GUD.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"When game Grug likes does not get positive ratings, or game Grug dislikes gets praise, it's reviewers fault for being stupid with no taste. But when game Grug dislikes does not get positive reception, then reviewers are right and game is just bad."

:nocountryforshitposters:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You mean the same easily pleased normies that find games from barely 20 years ago bad and can't play them without remasters or remakes? :lol:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Overall the game punishes you for using ranged weapons in the first half of the game, you either are inaccurate in firing from hip or too slow while using iron sights. Most enemies will close on you before you can do any damage with bolters. The only worthy bolters are the sniper ones but they are useless in fighting swarms.
The guns also lack any oomph, one of the most powerful weapons of the empire and it takes massive amounts of ammo to kill Tyranid Warriors if they are not blocking your shots
Not my experience
Bolters only become inaccurate if you're trying to hit longe-range targets with hip fire (which is more suited for close and medium range engagements), switch to shoulder aim which is quite reliable for hitting those long range targets (with the obvious penalty being more limited movement)
As for the Bolters themselves:
- the pistol is good enough to kill the smaller bugs, but it's true strength is it's melee use
- the rifle is dependable for any situation and you can kill a Tynid Warrior with almost 1 whole clip (30 bullets and not to mention plenty of them will not deal full damage due to their guard block)
- the heavy bolt just fucking shreds anything and is ideal to clear out large swarms

Then you have the meltagun which is the game's version of the super shotgun and just as fun

Whose idea was it to make armor regenerate but not health? That's completely retarded
Same as the first game you poser, you want health start executing.
Actually I have to correct myself regarding this
I booted up the leak again to test the HP+Shield mechanics and indeed SM2 did make alterations

Now when you lose HP, the player will have somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds to regain it back by dealing damage to the enemies (the timer "resets" at every successful hit), before that regainable health (repesented in the HP bar as a white bar) fades
The percentage of HP you regain isn't 100% but it is very high (far more than Bloodborne), the number of times you will have to strike the enemy back to get the full white bar depends on how much damage you took

Executions now recover 2 things:
- Armor (which wasn't the case of SM1 where executions only restored HP), with the bigger enemies rewarding more Armor points
- Health, but only if the player has regainable lost hp and in which case the player will fully heal the white bar

So overall, this system is even better
Because now the player is even more rewarded for playing offensively and even more penalised for playing defensively

you would have to be lightning fast to regenerate the white missing part
What are you? 80?
The fuck you playing twitch action games in the first place old man?
It took me 80 bullets from the bolter to kill single Zoanthrope
Have you considered not shooting at them while their shield is up and try a different approach?

How enemy design here is not simplisitic and in SM1 was?
Enemies in SM1 were extremely one-note and direct
Tyranid Warriors alone have more variety in their moveset than almost the entirety of Ork enemies
you have to shot 50 bullets to kill him otherwise.
Sure, if you're missing all the shots
Wow because here you can or rather have to parry some attacks and it's easier to kill the bigger enemies this way because range combat is shit in SM2.
Nah, range combat in SM2 is good
Melee is just better because in general Fighting games are superior to Shooters :smug:
The melee combat in SM1 was the way to heal yourself
Whihc is retarded because melee is literally half the combat's gameplay
It should be as important a gameplay component as shooting, not something the player only occasionally engages when he needs to heal
Also you didn't need melee to heal as you could stun enemies into an execution state with guns as well (and in the later levels of the game it was safer to do so)
Or you rather want to say the game is prettier than the first one and has jungle instead of canyons. Yeah, better level design because the corridor is in jungle not in a factory.
Yes
Level design is not simply just gameplay concerns, atmosphere and aesthetics are also an important factor of level design
This is a regard SM2 curbstomps SM1
Though I would say SM2 is also superior to SM1 in gameplay functions, as from everything I've seen the game does more interesting things with enemy spawns, elevation levels, more irregular arena shapes (as opposed to the boxes of SM1) and cooler setpieces (which are important for linear action games)
this game have medipacks that you can carry up to 2, that restore half your health.
So the opposite of an "asinine amount of health packs"?
Thanks for agreeing with me
Regenerating armor bars, that regenerate by themselves and when you execute an enemy.
The former takes a while to kick in and fills relatively slow
The latter is instant, therefore allowing the player to keep pushing into the fray
Two ressurections by your companions and literal ressurection relic that allows you to ressurect by yourself. :lol:
This is a shame and like I said when the leak came out, I wish the game had an option to disable it
But this is an old consequence of the push for devs making their games as accessible as possible over the last 15 years, as well as a standard mechanic in games with the possibility of co-op play - nothing to do with the shield system itself

Yes, great game design 10/10 GOTY of the century.

Not too mention I was one shotted a couple of times having 3/4 of the health bar by something off screen because I couldn't see it with that 40 degree FOV. Git GUD.

Same as the first game you poser, you want health start executing. :retarded:

Look at this guy loosing 99% of his health bar by something shooting from who knows where. GOTY 2024.
You can also clearly see here how he regenerated health by executing... his medipack. Git GUD.
Uh oh
Newfag's going into a meltdown
And even before the 250 posts mark
They just don't make them like they used to... :P

Here let me help you pal
Open up your favourite search engine and type in: "Space Marine 2 nexus"
Click the result that opens up a site called "nexusmods.com"
Once there, in the search bar type "fov" and hit enter
Now chose a file entry, download it and follow whatever are the installation instructions
Enjoy

One final piece of advice:
git gud
That's all
Have fun and thanks for beta testing! :salute:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
warhammer 40k is peak goyslop.

the entire setting was created by edomite kikes as a way to control easily distracted man children. its metamorphosis into a globohomo setting is not an accident or the consequences of todays age but its intended destination all along. This is what its jewish creators planned for the setting after it ensnared enough easily distracted and weak willed men.

Don't believe me? Here is your "based" setting

View attachment 54639

Yes, always blame the Jews for man children being man children.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom