Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Online private server (Return of Reckoning)

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Gotta get back to this game. Have they added any new content, compared to original servers? Like new item sets or something?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't know what "original servers" means. Do you mean the retail servers that were shut down a few years ago?

Ninjerk

Arcane
So I didn't play back then, but the development team are actively balancing the game if that makes a difference to you. Right now, apparently Engineers are a bit FOTM-y. I think they have a unique level-bolstering system so that when you are in Tier 2 you can join in on Tier 4 RvR activities. Apparently reaching Rank 40 makes you kind of "rubber band" backwards in terms of survivability, but it does allow you to effectively RvR your way to that rank from 16 (or w/e level Tier 2 starts at) instead of grinding through a dead world.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I leveled a Sorcerer and a Discipline of Khaine during the double XP weekend. I primarily spammed scenarios.

One thing I noticed is that reaching 30 on my sorcerer felt like a breeze, whereas leveling my DOK slowed to a crawl. I don’t know if the double xp ended while I played my DOK or if healing counts for less xp.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I leveled a Sorcerer and a Discipline of Khaine during the double XP weekend. I primarily spammed scenarios.

One thing I noticed is that reaching 30 on my sorcerer felt like a breeze, whereas leveling my DOK slowed to a crawl. I don’t know if the double xp ended while I played my DOK or if healing counts for less xp.
I think the double XP weekend was a straight 36-hour period. You could have easily fallen outside of it. Although, I'd be willing to bet that you get a lot of the XP and Renown points when someone you healed recently killed someone else. If that were the case and you were doing a lot of backline healing, then you probably wouldn't have gotten much out of it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I think the double XP weekend was a straight 36-hour period. You could have easily fallen outside of it. Although, I'd be willing to bet that you get a lot of the XP and Renown points when someone you healed recently killed someone else. If that were the case and you were doing a lot of backline healing, then you probably wouldn't have gotten much out of it.
I thought I stayed relatively close to the action, then again Engineers and Bright Wizards kept me from getting too close.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
So what healer class is the most fun to play?
I played Warrior Priest to 40 and DOK to 11. As a Warrior priest, spamming Soulfire and Smite in between heals/cleanse was nice. It has that defensive healer niche with some tricks.

Although I have less experience with DOK, to me main draws were that it has damage absorption barriers and Destruction always seems to lack healers.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've heard that DoK specs are all solid and they wreck shit at max, but I don't know the game well enough to contextualize that.

Cromwell

Arcane
I started playing a Warrior Priest and I am somewhat confused, shouldnt rightous fury build up when I use abilities? Why do I have practically unlimited RF? Is that a start zone thing or did they change that for the private server?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I started playing a Warrior Priest and I am somewhat confused, shouldnt rightous fury build up when I use abilities? Why do I have practically unlimited RF? Is that a start zone thing or did they change that for the private server?
Just get to Nordland and you'll see how quickly that RF goes out the window. Hatred decaying makes a lot of sense and it's really easy to build, but RF is tough to stay high on when those giant blobs clash with each other.

Rarre

Educated
I am already playing this with some mates, pretty fun and better than in 2008. Ugly as shit, and quests are ultra shit... but you can do only PQ(public quests) and PVP(scenario or RVR) to lvl and experience the game completely. With some friends is really fun and FREE.

pickmeister

Learned
I remember getting banned on this server. Sometime in 2015 or 2016, I played my Rune Priest during one weekend when suddenly some chap started vigorously spamming Local chat in German.
Well, as nobody seemed to entertain a conversation with the fellow, I decided to brush up on my Deutsch and responded that my name is Adolf and I like to paint. I also used to play vanilla WoW on Nostalrius at the time with General chat full of nigger jokes so the fucking around I engaged in seemed pretty tame in comparison.
The banhammer came just a few minutes later, leaving me puzzled.
Later, I asked on the forum for the reason of my ban and some GM started citing my country's laws about promoting the nazi ideology and informing me that my forum account is going to be banned in 10 minutes. I kept my cool and responded he's a little shit and should be gassed. He was crooked as they come, it wasn't 10 minutes.
So yeah, fuck those snowflakes with a cactus.

Anyways, I return every few years to check the progress and the devs somehow managed to completely suck the fun out of the game. It's like they thought it's gonna be a such great idea to turn every class into a tank. Or they nerfed everyone turning every battle into a cripple fight. I have no idea. The result is that be it in a scenario or in an RvR zone, nobody's fuckin' dying, ever. Add to that the change in players' mentality to minmaxing the shit out of everything and it's like a neverending pillow fight against a concrete wall.
Official Mythic servers back in the day weren't this fucked.

Pretty much the same experience as this guy:

It's a real shame. My best online gaming moments were in this game back in the day - maneuvering around the map, trying to take objectives, and locking the zone, despite being massively outnumbered was extremely fun.

Unless things have changed significantly, Magus had a lot of team utility due to their vortex skill being able to pull a bunch of enemies to a single spot, where it was then easy for your team to dogpile them and lay down AOEs and essentially melt groups. But this assumes some level of team coordination and probably better for premades. I'm not sure what Magus had to offer outside of that, I think they're generally DOT-monsters similar to DAoC cabalist or something. Sorcs were all-around nukers so I'm assuming they'd be more enjoyable for solo play.

pickmeister

Learned
Agreed. At least what I remember from official servers, Magus was used only for "magnet" (pulling enemies in and nuking them) which was extremely destructive when used well. But it required team coordination, of course.
Sorcerer required team coordination for AOE nukes as well, naturally, but it can work for picking off individuals too. Just be careful to not burn yourself by its class mechanic.

That's what I remember. What RoR team did with those classes tho, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Played a bit. What I din't liked about Magus is the low damage + stationary daemons. What I din't liked about sorcerer is the Dark Elf androgynous looking and gay animations. But I liked sorc class. I think that I will move back to my wow affliction warlock... Any way to be a sorc and not an dark elf?

Last edited:

pickmeister

Learned
Yeah, I remember magus being my first class because I found his skateboard cool but stationery demons put me off within first 10 levels. Engineer's stationary turrets make sense but immovable demons are strange.

You can play a human flamethrower aka bright wizard. It's the same as sorc but order side.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played a bit. What I din't liked about Magus is the low damage + stationary daemons. What I din't liked about sorcerer is the Dark Elf androgynous looking and gay animations. But I liked sorc class. I think that I will move back to my wow affliction warlock... Any way to be a sorc and not an dark elf?

You can always go Brigth wizard in order part or reroll a female sorc, why the anyone plays with a gay elf anyway?
Magus is dissapointing yeah, it's counter part of dwarven engineer so they made summoned demons like turrets which killed my interest for the class. Still it has nice damage and utility.
You can always play a high elf mage but they are kind of support class, still got some nice spells. I prefer their goblin counter part though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been playing this a bit lately (along with Guild Wars 1) as a healer Zealot and it's surprisingly populated, I get very fast queues for skirmishes. The UI is a bit of a mess though.

NwNgger

Educated
I tried the Private server recently. I played AoR quite a bit back when it was live. The PvP is there on this server for sure. I never had any difficulty finding stuff to do PvP wise. I'm not as sweaty as I used to be so I did fall behind the more veteran players but I had fun smashing heretics as a Witch Hunter I wish more MMOs had a focus on PvP. I play Elder Scrolls Online which is overall a very shit game but the Cyrodill PvP is the only thing that comes close to AoR PvP from back in the day.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, PvP is pretty fun in AoR. Hell the game is pretty fun almost in all aspects, it has so many interesting mechanics, classes are very thought out and distinguishable, PvE is also kinda fun and game is atmospheric af and very true to WHFB. the only thing I really missed were story-rich instances like in WoW, but I probably never got there. I can remember only one in Altdorf which was uninspiring.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The PvP is basically WoW's battlegrounds, just more balanced. I much prefer Guild Wars in a lot of ways, but it's fun enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom