Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhorse's RPG Unveiled as Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
History is boring, medieval people were dirty and dumb, thus the plot is going to suck.

p.s. also expected lots of people confusing HRE with Roman Empire - no fun so far.

Lancehead

Liturgist
So I imagine nothing about exploration, and only about combat? Tell me what is worth exploring in your game and I'd be interested.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So I imagine nothing about exploration, and only about combat? Tell me what is worth exploring in your game and I'd be interested.
Well you can go to a forest and find some pretty high poly trees and grass and bushes there, maybe even some medieval potato.. oh, right, those didn't exist in medieval urope.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They didn't send us a press release

Of course not. People here didn't think RPGs are about sword the fighting animation or whatever this game is about.

Was very excited by the new announcement and trailer, although not much new information has been given. Unfortunately, they have posted a lengthy new blog, outlining the shit they've been through the past few years in their search for a publisher, and according to that, they still do not have a publisher. They are exploring some options, but seems like it's not going very well, and their best publishing candidate at the moment is a small company who would probably try to get them to break the game up into several chapters or episodes. I think this would be a bad idea, because if you are marketing yourself as a more realistic and higher quality alternative to Bethesda's games, you have to be large in scope, and I don't think episodes will cut it.

To people making fun of the name, stop drinking. If you remove subconscious biases associated with your favorite games' names, do they all sound good? And does this have anything to do with anything?

I also love the realistic armor, weapons, and stances in the screenshots. The benefit to this, as someone already mentioned, is that armor and weapons weren't designed to just look good, the primary aim was to make them practical, and if you ever found yourself reading about that stuff, or watching youtube videos (some guys have awesome stuff out there on this), there is a lot of depth there. To people who have no idea about any of this, the benefit is that the game will look like Braveheart (the movie), instead of some obnoxious low budget 70s fantasy flick.

eremita

Savant
Sorry to say that's an extraordinarily boring art style. Poles win again. Hell, even Skyrim wins compared to that.
Art style? That game tries to be as close to reality of Middle Ages as possible. Witcher is fantasy game with garish... well... everything (and some weird fashion design on top of that)... You're not being fair here.

eremita

Savant
Historical settings limit the potential outcomes of my decisions, as history books are canon.
So there can't be personal/fictional stories not coliding with facts? :roll: Think. Just think...

And for the dumb faggots bitching about name: Kingdom Come is probably part of the prayer and it's tied to the main theme of the game. It's certainly not original, but also not purposeless.

Last edited:

Borelli

Arcane
I'll have to agree with console peons on this one. Skyrim without fantasy would be boring, instead of dungeoncrawling and killing bandits, undead, wizards, trolls, giants, automatons and dragons i am going to be dungeoncrawling and killing bandits ... and maybe animals. You mention Mount&Blade but i don't see world map and hiring 50+ band on your side. However IF the studio manages to push its own vision instead of copypasta Skyrim the game could be
As players traverse expansive, strikingly detailed locales, they'll grapple with a range of period- accurate fighting techniques, horseback combat, open-field sieges, and large-scale battles, all while developing relationships and a reputation that will inform the greater story.
awesome.

Random comment of the day:
"The game will be open-world, but rather than cramming everything in "so that every ten metres you could find something fantastic or at least could be attacked by a monster every ten seconds", they're taking a more realistic approach to the world,"

Um....why not? What interested me in Fallout 3 FAR over Oblivion is that every 10 meters of exploring, something awesome did happen. Oblivion on the other hand I could run for stretches, and jack would happen....boring me to tears.
:avatard:

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Sorry to say that's an extraordinarily boring art style. Poles win again. Hell, even Skyrim wins compared to that.

Nah, Skyrim was boring, generic lolfantasylolvikings stuff from people who have obviously never studied armour in the slightest. This is probably the closest look at historical armour we've ever gotten. Followed by The Witcher 2.
out of curiosity, what does historically accurate armor design bring to the table exactly?
In a fantasy setting with magic, dragons, giants with giant clubs and shit not much even though it can go overboard even there (Skyrim is lolshit), in a game set in a medieval/historical setting trying to simulate that sort of feeling I'd say a lot.

I'll have to agree with console peons on this one. Skyrim without fantasy would be boring

Skyrim is already boring...

Also, from last GDC:

And the screens that were in the Cocktaku article:
originaltrkpr.jpg

originalqmjme.jpg

originalhbjqz.jpg

originalz4kj0.jpg

Also that leak from half a year ago talking about engine-stuffz:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You are Krutor, a wild barbarian from the land of Morkroch. You have travelled a very long journey, across high mountains to the famous imperial city of Lhota, the capitol of the world and largest agglomeration in the known universe, whose fame touches the stars.

The city consists of precisely fifteen buildings (one of which is the imperial palace); the town is inhabited by 30 NPCs, including Emperor Lojza, Archmage Lotrando and all of the members of the guilds of thieves, mages and warriors.

You visit the emperor, who sits alone in the throne hall, and he assigns you with an quest. The land is terrorised by an evil dragon from hell and Lojza is powerless. He has sent an entire imperial army against it, but the monster has killed all five soldiers. Now, he needs a hero like you! You have to find and climb the mystical mountain, Lohen, on which no human has ever set foot, and behead the dragon.

You accept the quest and set out from the town gate. The mystic mountain Lohen is precisely 150 metres from the gate and is about 50 metres high. All of the inhabitants of the city are either retarded, blind or crippled if they have not managed to notice it for centuries. After an approximately 30-metre walk to the mountain, you come to ‘no man’s land’ and are attacked by bandits. During another 120m walk to the peak, you also notice an ancient fortress Rumloch, a secret dungeon of doom and a bandit hideout. At the peak of the mountain, you kill a one-hundred-metre dragon by beating its foot with a rusty sword and drinking potions. Then, you rob the corpses of the imperial army (all five) and on the way back to the castle are killed by a wild boar.

Welcome to an average RPG.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I remember their blog posts about the challenges and pitfalls in designing a realistic open world RPG map. That was insightful.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Revelation: Prophecy: Divination: Resuscitation: Constipation: The Game looks amazing in my book, except the generic music bombast in the trailer and the idiotic colon name (just "Kingdom Come" would sound perfect). Although the "trailer music type #32b" is probably there to impress the Americans who think Hans Zimmer is the greatest composer since evah.

Fucking finally an RPG without some sort of imbecilic plot about slaying a dragon, making a sword out of his dick and shoving it up some retard wizard's rectum that Roguey seems to fancy so much. Yes, it won't sell 20 million copies to brainwashed American teenagers but games like M&B or Chivalry show that the fanbase of authentic medieval setting and combat is not just a few nolife crossdressing weirdos either.

Only worry is whether or not Daniel et al. will pull off the fun factor. Because yes, having and AWESOEM!!111! ancient ruin dungeon mine full of poisonous spider riding rats shooting magic missiles from their snouts every fifty meters is retarded but larping around an empty meadow picking dandelions and mushrooms is not exactly my idea of good times either tbh.

Either way, gimme dat early pre-alfa access for 100 euros on Steam already!

Monty

Arcane
You are Krutor, a wild barbarian from the land of Morkroch. You have travelled a very long journey, across high mountains to the famous imperial city of Lhota, the capitol of the world and largest agglomeration in the known universe, whose fame touches the stars.

The city consists of precisely fifteen buildings (one of which is the imperial palace); the town is inhabited by 30 NPCs, including Emperor Lojza, Archmage Lotrando and all of the members of the guilds of thieves, mages and warriors.

You visit the emperor, who sits alone in the throne hall, and he assigns you with an quest. The land is terrorised by an evil dragon from hell and Lojza is powerless. He has sent an entire imperial army against it, but the monster has killed all five soldiers. Now, he needs a hero like you! You have to find and climb the mystical mountain, Lohen, on which no human has ever set foot, and behead the dragon.

You accept the quest and set out from the town gate. The mystic mountain Lohen is precisely 150 metres from the gate and is about 50 metres high. All of the inhabitants of the city are either retarded, blind or crippled if they have not managed to notice it for centuries. After an approximately 30-metre walk to the mountain, you come to ‘no man’s land’ and are attacked by bandits. During another 120m walk to the peak, you also notice an ancient fortress Rumloch, a secret dungeon of doom and a bandit hideout. At the peak of the mountain, you kill a one-hundred-metre dragon by beating its foot with a rusty sword and drinking potions. Then, you rob the corpses of the imperial army (all five) and on the way back to the castle are killed by a wild boar.

Welcome to an average RPG.
Sounds awesome. All it needs is Sawyer to balance everything and I'm in.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The trailer is unimpressive to say the least. I do think this could indeed be an interesting game from what I have read about it so far. A M&B-like is very welcome.

On the (Skyrim) armor discussion:

The strange thing about it is that the lower tier armors are actually quite passable (If you want to call some of them armor, like fur, that is) and fit in with the overall "style and feel" of the world. But the better, or more advanced the armor gets, the more ludicrous the design gets.
Ebony, Daedric, Glass and Dwarven would fit in a JRPG just fine.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
The strange thing about it is that the lower tier armors are actually quite passable (If you want to call some of them armor, like fur, that is) and fit in with the overall "style and feel" of the world. But the better, or more advanced the armor gets, the more ludicrous the design gets.

That's true for about every game with ludicrous armor. The lower-tier stuff looks good, and I think most of the time the devs realize that. But then the problem! "Dave, have you noticed, the low-tier-armour looks great!" - "Yeah, but how are we going to design advanced armour if the low-tier-stuff already looks great?" - "We could just keep on doing what we're doing." - "But... Then... Then the player will not have a sense of achievement if it looks the same!" - "But.. It doesn't look the same-" - "YES IT DOES! It's not more spectacular! We must put spikes on it!"

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

That's true for about every game with ludicrous armor. The lower-tier stuff looks good, and I think most of the time the devs realize that. But then the problem! "Dave, have you noticed, the low-tier-armour looks great!" - "Yeah, but how are we going to design advanced armour if the low-tier-stuff already looks great?" - "We could just keep on doing what we're doing." - "But... Then... Then the player will not have a sense of achievement if it looks the same!" - "But.. It doesn't look the same-" - "YES IT DOES! It's not more spectacular! We must put spikes on it!"

Sure. It's a dumb thought process. Bethesda Bethesdain'.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I was about to laugh at Kotaku comments. Then I noticed how many "why would you want realistic art design" comments we have in this very thread. Fucking :patriot: and their lack of culture.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They have no publihser yet...get ready for the Kickstarter, guys.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-19-care-for-a-next-gen-medieval-rpg-with-no-fantasy

UPDATE: Eurogamer Czech editor Jan Doskocil has been following the game's development more closely and reiterated the company's struggle to find a publisher and funding beyond a $3-$4 million investment by one of the richest people in the Czech Republic, Zdenek Bakala. I mentioned the possibility of funding via Kickstarter below and apparently this is an avenue Warhorse is openly interested in exploring.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They have no publihser yet...get ready for the Kickstarter, guys.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-19-care-for-a-next-gen-medieval-rpg-with-no-fantasy

UPDATE: Eurogamer Czech editor Jan Doskocil has been following the game's development more closely and reiterated the company's struggle to find a publisher and funding beyond a $3-$4 million investment by one of the richest people in the Czech Republic, Zdenek Bakala. I mentioned the possibility of funding via Kickstarter below and apparently this is an avenue Warhorse is openly interested in exploring.
Hm, 50 strong crew working for another year, possibly more...they'd need another 4 million for that and I just don't see it happening on the ol' Starter, not without that sweet nostalgiafag "I want my Baldur's Gate back" dough to tap.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Remember when games were all about historically accurate plot-lines and state of the art graphics engines? Well, we're bringing it back with KC-D, all for the low low price of 10 million dollars.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Kind of doubt Paradox or even CD Projekt have quite enough cash to spare for this, but I see exactly zero other viable options for a publisher. Sega maybe but not really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom