Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhorse's RPG Unveiled as Kingdom Come: Deliverance

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Trailer is shit, but the game gonna be gud. I know it. Even if it lacks polish it will still be good because of no dragons and magic and shite. Would welcome some very very low "superstition magic" based on European middle ages legends and traditions though (twisted-witches, sacrifices, evil-inquisition, human "abominations" - eg. evil or innocent two headed crippled albinos, etc.). All the goodies.

As for funding, Vavra mentioned in one of his previous blogs the inflation of human resources when it comes up to create AAA game.

http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_007&lang=en

I guess that's more for him to prove though, if they can pull it off with 20+ man constant development circle.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey, no worries. Bakala will do more financial wizardry with the OKD shares and no Kickstarter will be necessary.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Yeah, no fantasy means insta-awesome.!

I forgot the irony or "we will see" emoticon. What I meant in general, was that I am much more excited by this official announcement than for the next TES or Fallout or etc. It has the premises to be good, but can still be not so. But at least it is a very fresh take on the modern RPG mediocrity. As many here, I am fed up with straight fantasy and would welcome some historic RPG which we had none for the last 15 years or so. That's why I was (and still am) hopeful for Legends of Eisenwald as well.

My later part of the post was to indicate that Warhorse studios thinks that they don't need 100+ people to deliver quality game. Which still need to be proven.

Indranys

Savant
Hmm, I do need moar LARPing simulator in these dark times.
But why does almost everyone wear plate armors guys?? Weren't those things so very goddamn expensive back then? No love for peasants with gambesons and (chain)mails??
Indeed everyone wears full plate in some old depictions about Wars of the Roses and shit, but come on those were more like medieval Michael Bay's idea about hollywood version of epic war back then.

And someone please kindly encourage Mr Vavra to seriously implement a fairly realistic boob physics for our virtual ladies.
And let me see my own boobs FFS!!!11

Tigranes

Arcane
Love the screenshots, who cares about the trailer? It really is fucking decline when half the Codex whines about the generic music or the shitty name (both of which are true) instead of the substantial material we can get a glimpse of.

It seems to me like they do have a publisher now and the next part of the blog will show that process.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Kingdom Cum: HHR got white goo in his pants *snicker*

But otherwise will follow this. So far seems like a poor man's M&B (First person? For "realistic" melee combat? Seriously?). But who knows, might revive aRPGs the way iso-RPGs are revived by KS.

Rather M&B on steroids. I'll slurp this up.

I really like what Daniel is doing and the Codex should support him. Biggest IF is financing. Hopefully the publisher thing is sorted out, or there is a way to crowdfund this.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
last gen - can I see my legs? Yes -> It's next gen!
current gen - can I see my boobz? Yes -> It's next get!

Yeah rules have to be set and I am quite ok with these.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Well you can go to a forest and find some pretty high poly trees and grass and bushes there, maybe even some medieval potato.. oh, right, those didn't exist in medieval urope.

Fantasy is way overused, realistic approach is fresh.

I think this could also work in a FreeToPlay economy, where you can buy meaningful equipment. I've seen it work in The Hunter which is a bit similar, at least by the way it creates landscapes.

If they go Kickstarter, they will probably have to do the episodic approach, because four million dollars which was pretty damn good for isometric games is not gonna do much for a first person CryEngine3 game, and that's IF they can get anywhere near that much money, a big if.

Not sure why so many compare it to M&B. The structure is completely different, M&B is more of a strategy game crossed with a combat simulator, this is a real RPG with a story, and constant first person perspective.

Smejki

Developer
Warhorse blog said:
Although the U.S.-based wing of the corporation seemed very excited about the project, their European representative let us know that they didn’t think the game would fly with Americans.
I laughed my ass off. Reminds me of the infamous Arcania (Gothic 4) debacle from JoWood (Rest in piss, fuckers) who were trying so hard to appeal to Americans they appealed to nobody.

Arkadin

Arcane
I like the concept, although the FPP/open-world type would not be my choice for a historical middle ages crpg.

Ah if only they had some proper period music instead of bombastic score. Probably shouldn't be Landini or Machaut, but hell just get Ensemble Unicorn or some other medieval-wise instrumental ensemble to improvise on folk melodies of the time or those of the trouveres and Minnesinger, a la
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfCkmiQ0nDs

Yeah, no fantasy means insta-awesome.!

I forgot the irony or "we will see" emoticon. What I meant in general, was that I am much more excited by this official announcement than for the next TES or Fallout or etc. It has the premises to be good, but can still be not so. But at least it is a very fresh take on the modern RPG mediocrity. As many here, I am fed up with straight fantasy and would welcome some historic RPG which we had none for the last 15 years or so. That's why I was (and still am) hopeful for Legends of Eisenwald as well.

My later part of the post was to indicate that Warhorse studios thinks that they don't need 100+ people to deliver quality game. Which still need to be proven.

It's not that i don't like historical medieval settings. In fact a game with political intrigues, power grabs, alliances, assasinations, church vs aristocracy, the crusades etc. would be great.
This seems mostly interested in having realistic historical combat though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not that i don't like historical medieval settings. In fact a game with political intrigues, power grabs, alliances, assasinations, church vs aristocracy, the crusades etc. would be great.
If this game is about what I suspect it's about, you gonna have plenty of those.
From the available hints my guess is the plot will revolve around the Hussite Wars which was the first proto-protestant reformation movement against the Holy Roman emperor and the Catholic Church that inspired Martin Luther a century later. So there will be papal schisms, crusades, intrigues, heroism, burnings at the stake and various fun activities like that.

If this game is about what I suspect it's about, you gonna have plenty of those.
From the available hints my guess is the plot will revolve around the Hussite Wars which was the first proto-protestant reformation movement against the Holy Roman emperor and the Catholic Church that inspired Martin Luther a century later. So there will be papal schisms, crusades, intrigues, heroism, burnings at the stake and various fun activities like that.

Sounds great!
What's your suspicion based on though?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

hey I never wrote that
fix your quote man
or I'll sue you

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Sounds great!
What's your suspicion based on though?
Well, a Czech studio working on an authentic medieval game set in the 15th century Bohemia and the "Ginger Fox" mention are some strong hints:

"So we told Sean, who had worked in his time with Francis Ford Coppola, about the historical background of our game and, after several hours of brainstorming, came up with one PowerPoint page describing what it was about, with an emphasis on who the "Ginger Fox” was (Czechs know already)."

Ginger Fox was a nickname of the emperor Sigismund, the main protagonist and villain (or hero, depending on the faction you'll join I guess) of the Hussite Wars.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, a Czech studio working on an authentic medieval game set in the 15th century Bohemia and the "Ginger Fox" mention are some strong hints:

"So we told Sean, who had worked in his time with Francis Ford Coppola, about the historical background of our game and, after several hours of brainstorming, came up with one PowerPoint page describing what it was about, with an emphasis on who the "Ginger Fox” was (Czechs know already)."

Ginger Fox was a nickname of the emperor Sigismund, the main protagonist and villain (or hero, depending on the faction you'll join I guess) of the Hussite Wars.
Yeah, but TBH who outside of limited scope of enthusiasts would be interested in that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Yeah, but TBH who outside of limited scope of enthusiasts would be interested in that.
Well that's the fun factor question I guess. Sure if they make it all about a few brawls between some scruffy nuts in a small country noone will give a shit (including me, probably). But I think Daniel is smart enough to make the scope grander, it was a pretty interesting era in the European history after all, what with the infighting within the Church, the crusades against smelly heretics, the rise of the Ottomans, the fall of Constantinopole etc.

Smejki

Developer

hey I never wrote that
fix your quote man
or I'll sue you
Done. How the fuck did it happen?
icon_scratch.png

As Dan once said: "Who the hell did care about William Wallace until Braveheart? There you have a general who fought off virtually whole Europe, never losing a single battle. If Wallace and Joan of Arc had a baby, he would be that badass." (talking about Jan Žižka. Nobody outside the team knows if he appears in the game. Dan just responded to the "Žižka was a fucking pillaging rebel. Who care about this?" mocking he was getting when they first annouced the project some year ago.)
It is yet to be seen if people care. It's a strong theme although not widely known. The game matters.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom