Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #27: Routine Progress Report

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
By itself, a cult that worships ionizing radiation and its effects doesn't have to be interpreted as lolz, though.

"Lolz" and "Not serious" are two different things, not to be confused, yet both existing in harmony within the tone of Wasteland.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Oh, for fuck's sake, not this conversation again

What can I say? If you don't like the Wasteland setting, don't play the game. It is what it is.

Personally, I'll buy it and play it not knowing fully if I'll like it or not, for the other draws it has. But since when has not caring for certain setting issues or even outright hatred prevented the Codex from playing something labeled a CRPG?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whats your IQ jaesun. really. 35?
because thats what you posts look like.

Countless grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. It appears that Hiver is the one with the substandard IQ.

what a fucking brown noser you are

Fallout setting is as serious as Wasteland's. So all this discussion is pretty moronic

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout setting is as serious as Wasteland's. So all this discussion is pretty moronic

Giants mutated insects and plants, Human mutants caused by Radiation! (later corrected to ITZ FEV Science! Magic), Giant lamp computers, Energy weapons, MR Handy, Death claws etc... and I don't even cite things from Easter eggs or Fallout 2. Fallout setting was not realistic in first place. I know why devs think Codex is full of whiny entitled brats now. :hero:

EG

Nullified

Giants mutated insects and plants, Human mutants caused by Radiation! (later corrected to ITZ FEV Science! Magic), Giant lamp computers, Energy weapons, MR Handy, Death claws etc...

Yep, those are what count against a game being serious in tone, all right. :roll:

Well they said they won't make W2 "ridiculous" (i.e. they won't put funny stuff just for the sake of it being lulzy), so I'm OK with some silliness, because it's integral to the setting, even in Fallout.

The thing is, they will and can put silly stuff in the game (just like in Fallout, like you bros already said), but they won't make the story retarded and lulzy, as well as some of the quests (an example of this is Fallout 3, with its "serious" tone, but utterly lulzy and retarded quests and story).

Don't know why anyone would mind such stuff from Wasteland. Temple of Blood, crazy cultists, crazy mutated creatures... All is well. Just no retardation and too much silly stuff for no reason, like pop culture references from Fallout 2. I dislike stuff like that. It's OK in moderate amounts if they really have to. But still Fallout 2 is one of my favorite games, so all will be forgiven if the game is good. ;)

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Oh cool. The never played Wasteland crew starts up yet again. :roll:
I fucking LPed it and I still find this a bit stupid :rpgcodex:

It's not because I want the game to be super-serious, it's just such a tired trope at this point. In games, not even in the pulp influences. If the game is extremely pulpy and over the top, it gives them even more freedom to come up with new ridiculous ideas. Instead, what do we get? An evil radiation cult. Again. Just like Wasteland, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 (multiple here!), New Vegas... except this one has mini-nuke grenades like the legendary Portable Nuclear Catapult. Fantastic.

Maybe I just have a knee-jerk reaction to evil radiation cults after stumbling across one every five minutes in FO3 and the absolutely awful Radiant Ones quest chain in New Vegas.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh cool. The never played Wasteland crew starts up yet again. :roll:
I fucking LPed it and I still find this a bit stupid :rpgcodex:

It's not because I want the game to be super-serious, it's just such a tired trope at this point. In games, not even in the pulp influences. If the game is extremely pulpy and over the top, it gives them even more freedom to come up with new ridiculous ideas. Instead, what do we get? An evil radiation cult. Again. Just like Wasteland, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout 3 (multiple here!), New Vegas... except this one has mini-nuke grenades like the legendary Portable Nuclear Catapult. Fantastic.

Maybe I just have a knee-jerk reaction to evil radiation cults after stumbling across one every five minutes in FO3 and the absolutely awful Radiant Ones quest chain in New Vegas.

What was the radiation cult in Fallout 1 and 2?

hiver

Countless grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. It appears that Hiver is the one with the substandard IQ.
another complaint about the superficial look of the things rather then what it means - content.

:applause:

graphic whores, the lot of you .

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you're referring to the Bright followers, those guys weren't evil at all. They were just ghouls who wanted to be left alone. Some of them just happened to lose their minds and attack any human who approached.

hiver

Infinitron, bro, you didn't mention the thing that, IMHO, is the most important in this update: The fact that they show some of the crowdsourced assets:
ox1wsUg.jpg

...and that they look really good. That's some nice :incline: right there.
Imagine - someone saying a godamn thing about any of those creatures huh?

in this t-shirt update.

Wizfall

Cipher
InXile really dropped the ball with WL2 updates. The only worthwhile updates in all these months were the video footage and the Ask-a-Dev event.

Can you provide a Kickstarter that does a better job of updates?

Just curious.
Could...not...resist...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/435030?ref=activity
Sorry Jaesun :(
Also i see nothing wrong with Wasteland 2 updates.
While i appreciate a lot updates, i'm for letting the developers do as they like.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Well they said they won't make W2 "ridiculous" (i.e. they won't put funny stuff just for the sake of it being lulzy), so I'm OK with some silliness, because it's integral to the setting, even in Fallout.

The thing is, they will and can put silly stuff in the game (just like in Fallout, like you bros already said), but they won't make the story retarded and lulzy, as well as some of the quests (an example of this is Fallout 3, with its "serious" tone, but utterly lulzy and retarded quests and story).

Don't know why anyone would mind such stuff from Wasteland. Temple of Blood, crazy cultists, crazy mutated creatures... All is well. Just no retardation and too much silly stuff for no reason, like pop culture references from Fallout 2. I dislike stuff like that. It's OK in moderate amounts if they really have to. But still Fallout 2 is one of my favorite games, so all will be forgiven if the game is good. ;)

Thank you!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I fucking LPed it and I still find this a bit stupid

Well fucking good for you, you fucking schmuck. Go find a bridge and slit your wrists before jumping off it.
Ah, the healthy and proportionate responses that the Codex community is known for. How could anyone ever think that they don't understand the value of style and tact?

If you're referring to the Bright followers, those guys weren't evil at all. They were just ghouls who wanted to be left alone. Some of them just happened to lose their minds and attack any human who approached.
They were evil for putting me through that questline. I can't even skip it on subsequent playthroughs, because it means passing up the opportunity to blow them all up.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I fucking LPed it and I still find this a bit stupid

Well fucking good for you, you fucking schmuck. Go find a bridge and slit your wrists before jumping off it.
Ah, the healthy and proportionate responses that the Codex community is known for. How could anyone ever think that they don't understand the value of restraint?

I know the type, they're bubbly white night pieces of dogshit who lack backbone so they use what little energy they have to defend things they like to their fullest and reasoning out a second opinion in a logical and sensible manner is impossible.

EDIT: I make fun of VD a lot but at least he knows how to put up a good argument.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, the healthy and proportionate responses that the Codex community is known for. How could anyone ever think that they don't understand the value of style and tact?

Too much? Let me dial it back a notch then.

You've played WL? Fantastic. You've even LP'ed it? Neato. Then you weren't really the one being addressed, were you? No, but you want to represent and give credence to the gripe...because...because...well because you don't like it either! Ok, fine. But that still wasn't what I was addressing. I'm addressing the handful of posters who appear in every WL2 thread, obviously hadn't played the original game, thought they were pledging to something else and feel that their opinion...lacking in insight to the subject at hand...is somehow worth taking seriously.

I'd also like to wonder out loud how this example of a crazy faction is any more or less silly than Harry the bunny owner or radiation angels or robots with sunglasses? Honestly.

I know the type, they're bubbly white night pieces of dogshit who lack backbone so they use what little energy they have to defend things they like to their fullest and reasoning out a second opinion in a logical and sensible manner is impossible.

Yeah, bro. You've been around the block. Seen it all. And now it's time to speak out and say something!

Two amusing things about your post, though:

1) Never before have I been called "bubbly."
2) How do you defend something which doesn't exist?

See, that's the strawman all the whiny shits like to use when you say "Why are you whining about a game which seems to be adhering to the canon, tone and atmosphere of the original? Wtf did you expect?" Of course that's white knighting. Of course it is.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
That's not the point and it's the general vibe some people produce, not specifically pertaining to a certain thread. They've already detracted a lot from Wasteland 1: with turn-based combat, completely revamped skill system and quest system, and an overall more modern gaming atmosphere (as WAS the original pitch) so trying to militantly claim in pathetic over zealous energy that it can't be something because IT'S NOT WASTELANDER without trying to see HOW something can be improved from the original testament (1988 ffs) is beyond retarded.

Such people aren't growing, they're stagnating, rotting on the inside, they're fanboys. Fanboys of old toys, they allow themselves to be eaten up by larger fish if they like the color of the fish, they don't defend their own integrity because they have none, so they rationalize and defend their superior, the picture that's drawn to be eaten up by little fish like them, it's all they have.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Overzealous is one word.

Also: We're talking about tone and setting, not game mechanics here...are we not?

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera

another complaint about the superficial look of the things rather then what it means - content.

:applause:

graphic whores, the lot of you .

Than*.

Right.

And they were not a ''radiation-worshipping-cult'' of any sorts, only connection they had to radiation was the fact that they were ghouls.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2

Too much? Let me dial it back a notch then.

You've played WL? Fantastic. You've even LP'ed it? Neato. Then you weren't really the one being addressed, were you? No, but you want to represent and give credence to the gripe...because...because...well because you don't like it either! Ok, fine. But that still wasn't what I was addressing. I'm addressing the handful of posters who obviously hadn't played the original game, thought they were pledging to something else, and feel that their opinion...lacking in insight to the subject at hand...is somehow worth taking seriously.

I'd also like to wonder out loud how this example of a crazy faction is any more or less silly than Harry the bunny owner or radiation angels or robots with sunglasses? Honestly.
Okay, that's fair. My point is that there are legitimate reasons to think it's a dumb update other than "I expected a super-serious Fallout clone", though a few people obviously do hold that view. Personally, I just think it's something to expect in games of this setting at this point. Can hardly blame Fargo for that, but the silliness of wacky radiation cults - which works perfectly well in the Wasteland setting - is mitigated by the fact that, well, they're all over the place in the Fallout series. Harry the Bunny Owner was fantastic because it was so absurd and unexpected. The MAD Bomber Gang is straight out of Fallout 3, right down to the mini nuke grenades. Again, it works better here because it's coherent with the setting, so it doesn't deserve anywhere near the same level of criticism as Bethesda's super-grim super-orcs with super-nukes and the Democracy of Dave or whatever the fuck that was, but to me it crosses the line from being a fun pulp homage to a tired contemporary trope. It doesn't ultimately matter, but with the amount of creative freedom and otherwise great things InXile have shown, I'd like to see less of the latter. Hell, the Temple of Blood and its Radiation Angels are perfect examples of things that take the idea so over-the-top it becomes fresh and ridiculous again.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Bro, that is a fine example of a gripe I can respect. Cheers.

EDIT: What I mean to say is...I can see how some may see it as a tired and/or lazy idea for a faction (and that's a fine position to have), but to claim it is "out-of-place" or "too much" in the WL setting is totally off the mark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom