Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #34: Gamescom Demo Video, First Dev Diary Released

Lancehead

Liturgist
If "help NPC and he'll reward you, kill NPC and he doesn't" is a good example of C&C, then Bioware is the king of reactivity.

Implying you can freely kill NPCs in any Bioware RPG since BG2
That's definitely a good thing in WL2. I wonder if you can "complete" the game if you kill every npc.

I'm pretty sure that that counts as polishing, if all the features are working and included it's feature complete, and things like adjusting how often the AI uses it (if they would even want to do that in the first place) counts as polishing.
The AI isn't using it *at all* right now. That's not adjusting how often it does something, that's adding a whole new *feature* to the AI.

From what I gather overwatch is an active, not a passive feature. So if it didn't happen this playthrough, but didn't other times then the AI "chose" not to (it probably has drawbacks too, otherwise it'd be a pretty nonsensical feature). I don't understand how you can conclude from that that the AI can't use it at all, especially when it clearly has on other occasions.

They're feature complete now so this would be the beta phase.

Stop talking out of your ass plz. The game is currently in alpha. The beta starts in October.

Wasteland Guru preview said:
Wasteland 2 is currently at the Feature Complete stage

Software release life cycle wiki page said:
Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete.

commie.gif

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From what I gather overwatch is an active, not a passive feature. So if it didn't happen this playthrough, but didn't other times then the AI "chose" not to (it probably has drawbacks too, otherwise it'd be a pretty nonsensical feature). I don't understand how you can conclude from that that the AI can't use it at all, especially when it clearly has on other occasions.
I'm very confused because a group of armed men, presumably with some training, in what is supposed to be a defensive structure, never used overwatch against an attacking force.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was curious why all the guys got into ambush positions with the sniper up top and then the sniper fires and all the enemies get to go before the rest of the team. Can you have all your dudes shoot at once or something?

I'm very confused because a group of armed men, presumably with some training, in what is supposed to be a defensive structure, never used overwatch against an attacking force.

Yeah, but I think part of the problem might be that we both had the wrong idea about overwatch, namely that it's the guys in the base who do it. Because in the Wasteland forum, BN said that it wasn't used because the wolf didn't have enough AP as the sniper moved through the adjacent space. So maybe it's not something that works over distance? Would be weird (and lame) though.

Also, he says they'll be addressing grid-gate in the next KS update.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Yeah, but I think part of the problem might be that we both had the wrong idea about overwatch, namely that it's the guys in the base who do it. Because in the Wasteland forum, BN said that it wasn't used because the wolf didn't have enough AP as the sniper moved through the adjacent space. So maybe it's not something that works over distance? Would be weird (and lame) though.
Maybe he's talking about just melee disengage attack. The wolf would get a free attack if he had enough leftover AP. Maybe the mechanic is the same for melee and ranged like in SRR.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Infinitron scrambling to defend yet another Kickstarter and desperately calling Brother None for help is so damn hilarious!

Then you must have a pretty lame sense of humor, son. I'd think more of us would be scrambling to give the benefit of the doubt to what may be the last opportunity** for cRPG incline in this severely declined world.

Though I must say I...admittedly...have lost a tiny glimmer of hope and do agree with VD's post. It seems Fargo may have sacrificed A LOT in favor of "Reactivity" his newfound favorite word. It's like the fear of their backers got to him or something. Of course we all want reactivity but not at the cost of contrived retardation. *sigh*

**I'm refering to Kickstarter/Vidjagames and not WL2 specifically

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't scrambled to defend the grid, or the dumb save-scummable C&C. I just think it's unwise to assume a game will be some kind of linear corridorfest based on a single half hour demo. Don't see what's so unreasonable about that.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I wasn't saying you were unreasonable. Anybody who has ever read my posts knows that "innocent until proven guilty" is like, my whole thing, man.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Has anynone mentioned that final demo version of a game and convention demo for press are two different things? One even inevitably coming with tightly controlled playthrough?

Neither may represent the full truth about the final product though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the 'encounter begins' text is very JRPG like, and so are the flashing damage numbers that belong in RT clickfest games like Diablo 3, not in a TB game with a textbox.
Both Temple of Elemental Evil and Knights of the Chalice had combat logs and floating damage numbers. My immersion isn't harmed any, so I don't see why I should have to dart my eyes to the corner of the screen with every attack.

They're feature complete now so this would be the beta phase.

Stop talking out of your ass plz. The game is currently in alpha. The beta starts in October.
What Jim the Dinosaur said plus just because they're opening the beta to backers in October doesn't mean they're not having their own private beta now.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What Jim the Dinosaur said plus just because they're opening the beta to backers in October doesn't mean they're not having their own private beta now.

They're not having a private beta.

Obviously, at least one of Jim's sources is inaccurate. (ie, either the game is not in fact feature complete, or "feature completeness" does not necessarily imply beta in inXile's handbook)

Obviously, at least one of Jim's sources is inaccurate.

Or maybe they're both accurate and game devs just like to call something a beta at the last possible moment so they can always have the "c'mon it's just an alpha" defense! I see a whole realm of possible conspiracies.
icon_joy.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

They're not having a private beta.

Obviously, at least one of Jim's sources is inaccurate. (ie, either the game is not in fact feature complete, or "feature completeness" does not necessarily imply beta in inXile's handbook)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/544063
Jul 19, 2013
In the next month we expect to have a version of the game that is feature complete,

So inEPTile gets to redefine words to suit their purposes.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Maybe they do. Or maybe "feature complete" doesn't mean the same thing in a game that it does in a piece of office productivity software. *shrug*

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Maybe they do. Or maybe "feature complete" doesn't mean the same thing in a game that it does in a piece of office productivity software. *shrug*
To them. From the same update
This feature complete playable is about 6 weeks behind where I had wanted it to be but I can’t be too surprised considering the increased scope.
Ah yes the "feature complete playable" in-between alpha and beta. A well-known phase and phrase. :roll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Everything good is as intended, anything bad is not final. :roll:

But really, at this point the only possible changes are minor stuff or balance related things... they ain't gonna change the level design or overall quest design when the game is/will be soon be in beta, unless things go really bad on the open beta and Fargo delays the game.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
I haven't scrambled to defend the grid, or the dumb save-scummable C&C. I just think it's unwise to assume a game will be some kind of linear corridorfest based on a single half hour demo. Don't see what's so unreasonable about that.
So what? The fact that you don't defend two questionable elements of the game doesn't make an apologist? And what about everything else? Seriously, getting butthurt about people criticizing W2 and desperately tagging BN and asking (almost demanding) for things to support your points or diminish the points of other people? Pathetic.

The sad thing is that in your mind you "don't defend anything". Delusional too much?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom