Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #34: Gamescom Demo Video, First Dev Diary Released

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If "help NPC and he'll reward you, kill NPC and he doesn't" is a good example of C&C, then Bioware is the king of reactivity.

Implying you can freely kill NPCs in any Bioware RPG since BG2
That's definitely a good thing in WL2. I wonder if you can "complete" the game if you kill every npc.

If you keep killing "everyone" you'll get an ending way sooner than otherwise. "Complete" the game is a flowing concept I suppose.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I think a useful definition of "completing" the game would be whether you can solve every main quest even if you kill every npc. Of course, one can design in such a way that the concept of main quest is obsolete (Gothic 3, for example).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
VD is mostly spot on, I only disagree with these two comments:

- the 'encounter begins' text is very JRPG like, and so are the flashing damage numbers that belong in RT clickfest games like Diablo 3, not in a TB game with a textbox.

- the descriptions are great and evocative but the louspeaker humor was silly and unnecessary.
There is nothing inherently wrong with either Encounter Begins text (although I prefered the variant shown in the agricultural center video) or floating numbers. The first one is useful for people who play the game with the sound off, so they don't miss the start of the combat and waste some precious AP by misclicking. The second allows for immediate feedback - you can clearly see if the target is being hit or missed. Very useful.

As for the humor, that depends on the taste of course. It was corny/cheesy, but it perfectly fit the mood of everything what was shown (exploding goats, discobot, etc.), except maybe the dying woman encounter.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Goofiness is perfect given that this is a sequel to Wasteland; in fact, the more silliness the better.

Corridor maps aren't though, for the same reason. I really hope exploration is at least somewhat free-form in the full game.

imweasel

While I mostly agree with Vault Dweller, these are some points that I don't agree with.

Why would the trader refuse to trade with you and make a profit?
I dunno, maybe because he puts the goods in the cart because he can't carry them? And if the cart is stuck, well... no need to trade then.
The only thing I did not like with this situation was that fact that only one ranger (!) can push the cart out. while everybody else including the trader just stands around like morons. Doesn't really make sense.

Why would the sick woman ask you to kill her, if she can pop some pills and get better? A dying person is one thing. A sick person who can be easily healed is another.
Because this is the wasteland? Who knows if that guy will ever make it back with the medicine that is necesarry to heal her. Who knows if he will even find any medicine. She was probably sick for a long time and just gave up hope (or was delusional) and wanted the pain to end. Typhus for example can be easily treated with antibiotics. But without them, you're totally screwed. It's a horrible and painful death.

- the radio seems to be a way for the NPCs to talk to you from far away, to make sure that you find them. "There is a dying woman in aisle 4, please stop by for loot and xp". Did her husband have a radio too? If yes, why didn't he reply? If he knew that she was dying and asking to kill her, why would he attack you?
Maybe he was out of range? Maybe the battery is dead? Maybe he doesn't have a radio (he didn't have one when you looted his corpse). This is the wasteland. Shit that works is pretty scarce.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, re: the sick woman and her husband encounter, I think a game like the original Wasteland would have the husband appear with the medicine no matter what decision you've taken; makes perfect sense, too.

Xeon

Augur
The dev said that you can heal her if you have the skill or go and look for the medicine yourself so the husband is probably placed a small ways on the road maybe and he comes running after hearing the gunshot. Is it possible to kill her with mele?

Crooked Bee

Patron
The dev said that you can heal her if you have the skill or go and look for the medicine yourself so the husband is probably placed a small ways on the road maybe and he comes running after hearing the gunshot. Is it possible to kill her with mele?

You mean he just stands there with the medicine and only runs up to you if he hears the gunshot? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I dunno, maybe because he puts the goods in the cart because he can't carry them? And if the cart is stuck, well... no need to trade then.
And where is the logic in that? Now that his cart is stuck he HAS to trade them. He can't carry his goods, but he can carry cash. Besides, it's not like he's stuck there forever. He can go and get help (i.e. he isn't in the middle of nowhere).

The only thing I did not like with this situation was that fact that only one ranger (!) can push the cart out. while everybody else including the trader just stands around like morons. Doesn't really make sense.
That too.

Why would the sick woman ask you to kill her, if she can pop some pills and get better? A dying person is one thing. A sick person who can be easily healed is another.
Because this is the wasteland? Who knows if that guy will ever make it back with the medicine that is necesarry to heal her. Who knows if he will even find any medicine. She was probably sick for a long time and just gave up hope (or was delusional) and wanted the pain to end. Typhus for example can be easily treated with antibiotics. But without them, you're totally screwed. It's a horrible and painful death.
Good point.

- the radio seems to be a way for the NPCs to talk to you from far away, to make sure that you find them. "There is a dying woman in aisle 4, please stop by for loot and xp". Did her husband have a radio too? If yes, why didn't he reply? If he knew that she was dying and asking to kill her, why would he attack you?
Maybe he was out of range? Maybe the battery is dead? Maybe he doesn't have a radio (he didn't have one when you looted his corpse). This is the wasteland. Shit that works is pretty scarce.
He didn't have a radio on him, yet his wife was talking to him. Of course, she was actually talking to you, catching your attention, hence my point.

Xeon

Augur
You mean he just stands there with the medicine and only runs up to you if he hears the gunshot? That doesn't make much sense to me.
That's what most games do, no? The npc just sits there until you show up and help with their problems.

imweasel

And where is the logic in that? Now that his cart is stuck he HAS to trade them. He can't carry his goods, but he can carry cash. Besides, it's not like he's stuck there forever. He can go and get help (i.e. he isn't in the middle of nowhere).
So the trader should only want to sell items while his cart is in the ditch. If you are able to get his cart out of the ditch, then he would also be willing to trade or buy items. Good point. Makes sense.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He didn't have a radio on him, yet his wife was talking to him. Of course, she was actually talking to you, catching your attention, hence my point.
Wasn't the dialog of the wife just asking for anybody to come by?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No, she says "if you can hear me, please come back, I can't take it any longer, etc".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In short, the writing is pretty sucky from that video and the humor is completely humorless. But, this is not supposed to be Torment. If at least the combat and overall gameplay was engaging.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In short, the writing is pretty sucky from that video and the humor is completely humorless. But, this is not supposed to be Torment. If at least the combat and overall gameplay was engaging.

biglebowski.jpg

You know what the man wants to say.

I like the humor. All of a sudden RPG "LOL DONGS" Codex is in favor of subtle, highbrow humor? Give me a break, people.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So the trader should only want to sell items while his cart is in the ditch. If you are able to get his cart out of the ditch, then he would also be willing to trade or buy items. Good point. Makes sense.
Imagine if that was a solution to the quest. You buy so many things until the cart is light enough to move.

Crooked Bee

Patron
That's what most games do, no? The npc just sits there until you show up and help with their problems.

Yeah, that'd make sense in a completely scripted game. But a Wasteland game is supposed to be free-form, not just scripted.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
All of a sudden RPG "LOL DONGS" Codex is in favor of subtle, highbrow humor?

Not talking about highbrow humor. Simply don't find it funny. Feels forced etc.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Official verdict: Codex underwhelmed by W2 demo video

And for a reason too. But, judging from the fairly mediocre amount of feedback (no 20+ pages of "Fuck this decline shit"), there's not much that's wrong. Should be (relatively) simple to fix.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Official verdict: Codex underwhelmed by W2 demo video
And for a reason too. But, judging from the fairly mediocre amount of feedback (no 20+ pages of "Fuck this decline shit"), there's not much that's wrong. Should be (relatively) simple to fix.
But going from "SAVIOUR OF cRPGS" to "probably good for what it is" is still disappointing... :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom