Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

likaq

Arcane
I want play this game NOW.
:bounce:

Rake

Arcane
Good looking screenshots, UI still atrocious...
Nothing new here

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems there has been a slight revision in the UI. If that enourmous digital AP counter would disappear, i might...gasp...like it (or at least wouldn't dislike it).

KithKanan

Novice
It seems there has been a slight revision in the UI. If that enourmous digital AP counter would disappear, i might...gasp...like it (or at least wouldn't dislike it).

Agreed. A red LED dot matrix display really doesn't look that 80s to me, plus the red just stands out and is a bit ugly. Someone should remind inXile about 7-segment displays, and that by the mid 80s they already came in multiple colors:
time-machine-reading-1.png

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good stuff. And I still don't understand what's so terrible about the UI..

(The red dot-displays above the weapon picture really is shitty, though)

Ramireza

Savant
For me the UI is ok. But the screens shows again : Low Budget 3D Engines (like Unity) looking terrible compared to Pre-Rendered 2D Maps.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For me the UI is ok. But the screens shows again : Low Budget 3D Engines (like Unity) looking terrible compared to Pre-Rendered 2D Maps.
But it's cheaper than pre-rendered 2D, and allows 3D maps which is supposed to be important with elevation mattering in combat.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Agreed. A red LED dot matrix display really doesn't look that 80s to me, plus the red just stands out and is a bit ugly. Someone should remind inXile about 7-segment displays, and that by the mid 80s they already came in multiple colors:
time-machine-reading-1.png
Yeah this would be a lot cooler.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yay no noticeable depth of field in those shots. Don't know whether they've changed anything specifically but that looks a lot better.

:codexisfor:

Last edited:
But it's cheaper than pre-rendered 2D, and allows 3D maps which is supposed to be important with elevation mattering in combat.

Do you really think that's still a featured mechanic though? None of the screenshots we've seen so far feature anything like that and you'd think it'd be something to show off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Do you really think that's still a featured mechanic though? None of the screenshots we've seen so far feature anything like that and you'd think it'd be something to show off.

They haven't shown any energy weapons either, are those still a featured mechanic? :M

@Brother None, please reassure us that mechanics that were said to exist still exist.

EDIT: Actually, height as a mechanic was mentioned just this month: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/01/a-day-with-wasteland-2/

“We wanted to make sure that we were able to craft encounters,” explained project lead Chris Keenan. “A lot of the RPGs that we were playing, they had a basic AI set on them, and they just did that. Run to player, shoot, generally stand back this far. We want to try to make sure that we’re getting interesting behaviors with these guys as far as flanking opportunities that they can see. Actively using height to their advantage. Working in groups. Sending two guys around one way and one guy around the other way.”

“There’s plenty of cover in the game, but it doesn’t feel manufactured,” added Fargo. “It feels more natural, like part of the environment. There are areas where there’s no cover and areas where there’s lots of cover. We’ll take that into account as we balance the game. We may give you a lot more enemies in areas where there’s a lot of cover, behind the scenes. Or there’s going to be snipers up on the roof, because we deal with height and distance as well, thanks to a modified Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes rule set – kind of like the original Wasteland. So that might affect where we could make cover available.”

Sure, but I haven't heard anything about height mattering except from tuluse and even he seemed a bit hesitant. But if it's something they've advertised then I take it back.

Cool, still a shame that all they're showing off is people hiding behind chest high cover type x if it's a lot more versatile in practice.

Alchemist

Arcane
I could whine about how it looks more like a Fallout game than Wasteland but that ship has long since sailed. But why must everything be brown? How about some 80's style black & chrome, with cheesy wood paneling accents? And definitely go with that Back to the Future digital readout.

Nitpicking aside, I think the UI is looking much better than it was before.

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nitpicking aside, I think the UI is looking much better than it was before.

Still haven't seen the rest of the UI (e.g., the inventory.) The main problem I had with the previous revisions was the lack of cohesion in the multiple themes. However, it's a lot better than previous releases. I'm curious what the inventory screen looks like. I'm hoping its not the same "let's throw 3-4 different themes together!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Crappy preview at GameInformer: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/w...13/08/23/reshaping-wastelands-open-world.aspx

Wasteland 2
Exploring And Reshaping inXile’s Open World

Before there was Fallout, there was Wasteland. Now, thanks to the magic of Kickstarter, inXile Entertainment is resurrecting the property and giving players a world that evolves as they play.

Wasteland 2 is a post-apocalyptic role-playing game that takes place in an alternate reality where the world has been destroyed by a nuclear holocaust. A group of survivors, calling themselves the Desert Rangers, band together to help other survivors eke out their existence. Gamers who played the 1988 original will find cool homages to the series, but the game is also being designed to accommodate newcomers.

The game is a turn based RPG designed in the style of old school, team based titles. inXile has updated Wastelands old mechanics and skill systems, which might feel familiar to players of the original game. As players level up the members of their team, they have access to a variety of skills that let them pick locks, open up new lines of dialogue in conversations, hack computers, and dismantle and rebuild weapons.

The game’s story is pretty massive; the script alone features over 400,000 words and is still growing. However, the most impressive aspect of Wasteland 2 so far is how gamers are able to influence the story and shape the world around them.

For example, early on in our journey through the Wasteland demo at Gamescom, we ran into a character named Fred. Fred is a merchant, but he can’t sell us anything because his cart is stuck in a mud pit. After talking with Fred, we decide to help him out. One of our characters has a skill call brute force, which allows him to move heavy objects, so we use that character to move Fred’s cart. Now we can buy all kinds of great stuff from his shop.

Wasteland 2’s world is persistent and evolving. Since we helped Fred, we’ll likely run into him again a few hours down the road, and he’ll have better stuff to trade for. However, players can choose to kill any person in the game. If we killed Fred instead of helping him, for example, we’d never see him again. Alternatively, if we killed his goat, he’d be pissed at us for the rest of the game. Wasteland 2 has no karma bar or morality meter; no one is judging players for the actions they take, but the world reacts to what they do in logical ways.

Your own crew can be a diverse cast of characters. Players are able to recruit dozens of different characters into their party, but each person has different abilities and drawbacks. Your best lockpicker, for example, might be great at stealing things, but he might also be stealing from you. Do you want to keep him around? One of your best fighters might also be a drunk and a bear to deal with. Can you keep a leash on him?

Thanks to Wasteland 2’s diversity of choice, it’s virtually impossible for two players to play through the game and have the same experience. We only got a taste for the open world that awaits us in Wasteland 2, but we’re excited to see how its world will react to our actions when the game comes out, no sooner than the end of this year.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom