Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Chiiiiiiiiiil. I got the edited version latelate yesterday, and I've been working today.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2 Guru Gamescom preview said:
A game distinguished not by its photo-realistic graphics or amazing physics, but by things that actually matter in a game: reactivity, evolving storyline, intricate gameplay, and sheer replayability.
Basically, what a next-gen game should be.

amazing.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
However, Wasteland 2 goes beyond that and also introduces non-standard game endings. Fargo elaborated on this concept, stating that one of these results from the player straying too far away from the Rangers' code and values. If the player's team gun downs everything that moves (and shoots everything that doesn't until it starts moving), then General Vargas will cut them loose and deploy kill squads to track down and kill the player's team, leading to a different storyline and ending, at the expense of some 40% of the game.
:hmmm:

For example, if a low-level party decides to wander into a dangerous area, they might be contacted by General Vargas, informing them that they're about to step into a world of pain.
A good idea.

The original Wasteland, while featuring both attributes and skills, was heavily biased towards the latter, to the point that attributes mattered little as long as you had a high enough skill. Wasteland 2 will seek to rectify that, while maintaining consistency.
This is funny considering all the "attributes won't matter" angst from earlier in the thread.

Accuracy bonuses are very important, as weapon ranges are a crucial part of determining whether you hit your target. inXile chose to avoid the miss-enemy-at-point-blank-range debacle common to turn-based games. If it stands next to you, you will have an excellent chance of hitting them, unless their Evasion is very high or your own skills scrape the bottom of the barrel.
This quasi-sim crap might end up breaking things, we'll see.

Zetor

Arcane
Honestly, attributes in WL1 were kind of crap. Was there any point in increasing anything other than IQ at levelup (to get more skill points) and/or starting with characters below 17-18 IQ?

e: From what I remember, str was kinda ok on a melee guy, and the various agility type stats had to be decently high on a ranged combat character -- but you certainly didn't pump them to 30+ like you did with IQ. I definitely don't remember spending many (or even any?) points on non-IQ stats for my levelups.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is some new (at least to me) cool info in a www.gram.pl preview (in potato), with the journalist (Michał 'Myszasty' Nowicki) being a fan of old-school RPGs (and mentioning Van Buren a few times in the preview).

- the game started out with a vision very close to the original Wasteland, but it turned progressively more fallouty during development, when it turned out that is what the fans want
- Kick-Ass (he probably means Kiss Ass) and Hard-Ass are dialog-related skills
- skills are divided into two cathegories: combat and knowledge (lore?)
- some quests will be unlocked by playing with the radio in certain areas (the radio will have various frequencies)
- the radio can also be used to contact some NPCs without travelling to their location (Pokemon games influence? :D)
- the game's scope causes it to have tons and tons of bugs at the moment, but inXile is set on fixing the bugs, while leaving the scope intact instead of reducing the scope to deliver perfectly-polished experience AAA-style
- attributes are explained:
Coordination = Agility with a different name
Luck - affects every action in some small way
Awareness = Perception with a different name
Strength - affects carry-weight and HtH damage
Speed - affects how far a character can move in combat
Intelligence - affects multiple skills in the knowledge/lore cathegory
Charisma - affects NPC interaction
- combat scripts are partially randomized, so after reloading in combat you should rarely see enemies doing the same moves
- the journalist likes the graphics (calling it VanBuren-like, although saying that the old Fallout style was clearly superior and can never be recreated :obviously: ) and customizable interface which should be a feature in every PC RPG and strategy
- Brian Fargo said that the level editor will be released with 100% certainty, but we will have to wait some time after launch for that
- finally, the journalist calls the game 'Van Buren resurrected' and claims it GOTY of whatever year it is released :lol: :D

Last edited:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
There is some new (at least to me) cool info in a www.gram.pl preview (in potato), with the journalist (Michał 'Myszasty' Nowicki) being a fan of old-school RPGs (and mentioning Van Buren a few times in the preview).

- the game started out with a vision very close to the original Wasteland, but it turned progressively more fallouty during development, when it turned out that is what the fans want
- Kick-Ass and Hard-Ass are dialog-related skills
- some quests will be unlocked by playing with the radio in certain areas (the radio will have various frequencies)
- the radio can also be used to contact some NPCs without travelling to their location (Pokemon games influence? :D)
- the game's scope causes it to have tons and tons of bugs at the moment, but inXile is set on fixing the bugs, while leaving the scope intact instead of reducing the scope to deliver perfectly-polished experience AAA-style
- combat scripts are partially randomized, so after reloading in combat you should rarely see enemies doing the same moves
- the journalist likes the graphics (calling it VanBuren-like, although saying that the old Fallout style was clearly superior and can never be recreated :obviously: ) and customizable interface which should be a feature in every PC RPG and strategy
- Brian Fargo said that the level editor will be released with 100% certainty, but we will have to wait some time after launch for that
- finally, the journalist calls the game 'Van Buren resurrected' and claims it GOTY of whatever year it is released :lol: :D

What exactly is meant with 'more fallouty'?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What exactly is meant with 'more fallouty'?
Here's what the article says about this: initially the game was supposed to be more 'tactical' 'with a lot of micro-management' (like Wasteland) and now it is more 'RPG' 'plot and dialog driven' (like Fallout).

Yeah, I'm not sure either.

drae

Augur
I love how this game is turning out! Cannot wait.

However, I really hate the 'luck' stat. I see it everywhere these days and I don't like it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope that's a direct quote so I can laugh at Fargo dumbing it down to Fallout levels.

Ramireza

Savant
"Brian Fargo said that the level editor will be released with 100% certainty, but we will have to wait some time after launch for that"

*Uninstalling Shadowrun Returns*

likaq

Arcane

- Kick-Ass and Hard-Ass are dialog-related skills

Preview is nice but commentaries...
OH MY GOD COMMENTARIES....

:x :x :x

"gfx is shit. Game looks like Fallout 2 with better resolution. This kind of gfx in 2013????? Game is not book."
"I don't like kickstarter. Shadowrun Returns is shit"
"Ui is shit. Modern games have better ui's than this game"
"turn-based combat??? What is it? Total war? I'm too old to calculate action points. Turns are too slow and old for me"
"most likely story, dialogs and quest design will be shitty"
"game looks like fallout clone. I don't like this."

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
http://translate.google.com.co/tran...asteland-2-in-der-Vorschau-1085369/&sandbox=1

Some new (well, I think) info from a German preview, translated via Google:

-Wasteland 2 contains over 20 NPCs that we can recruit for the three available character slots. Each of them has their own personality, and jumps to another attribute. So it can happen that a potential companion deflects the offer to join the group because he does not like that we have here a drinker.

-We could just use the Thieving Magpie to task and bring to limit his kleptomaniac tendencies - but only if we have a character in our group who has a correspondingly hochstufiges (high?) eloquence.

-. In addition, we determine whether our character is a smoker, like to be there stupid comments ("Smart Ass") or lags on one leg. This apparently extraneous features have enormous consequences: they determine how characters on our Ranger troop in dialogues react and what tasks they offer us. In almost every conversation, there will be those hidden triggers, so it is virtually impossible for two players to experience the same adventure and be compatible with the same people or AI-controlled battle.

- "We have saved by buying assets around a million dollars," says studio boss Fargo and adds: "Thanks to this method we have achieved in a period of 90 days progress, for which we would normally have used a year."

-. Which help color-coded phrases to quickly get an overview. We put our own answers heroes squad by keyword selection in the mouth. Practically, if we move the mouse pointer over the word, we see the formulated response. The rates are as predicted by the way deliberately straightforward: The Wasteland 2 heroes should be no run-on sentences by themselves, the player must decipher their significance only for seconds before selecting the most appropriate response by multiple-choice method.

_______

Google translate is strong in the last one, is there any fellow german codexer here that can give us a better translation of that part?

Gord

Arcane
Elthosian:

In those [dialogues], color-coded phrases help to get a quick overview. Some responses of our group are chosen by keywords. By moving the mouse pointer over the word, we see the answer fully written out. Those sentences are kept simple, by the way: The characters in Wasteland 2 aren't supposed to speak in long, complicated sentences whose significance has to be deciphered by the players ( :decline: ? ), before choosing the right answer in the multiple-choice system.

To be honest, it's a bit ambigous in german as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom