Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
His statement is still valid. There have been RTS for consoles, I remember playing C&C on Sega Saturn, but they don't design RTS with console in mind.

you're sure that any game was not designed with consoles in mind, how
How are you going to play a game like Starcraft II with a controller?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Damn. Seems like the only genre left unspoiled by consoles are RTSs and MOBAs.

muh complecks PC controls vs. effective console controls

:kingcomrade:

I mean, consoles and RTS have only been done as far back as Dune II on the Mega Drive, but fuck reality

:hero:

If you don't mind playing it like shit due to the inherent inaccuracies of a controller, sure.
The analogue sticks are not precise, and you don't get hotkeys.
Trying to play a RTS with a controller is like trying to play a Japanese character action game with a mouse and keyboard. Yeah sure, its possible, but you are going to have a harder time than just using the proper peripheral.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

?

Turn-Based games have always been a part of console gaming (More so than they ever were on PC even). So, not a surprise, nor anything to sully there.

Whilst still a little clunky, it works better than RTS, as you don't have to worry so much about quickly getting the right unit to the right place. Its still inefficient, but it won't impact your game all that much. It will just take some time.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Turn-Based games have always been a part of console gaming (More so than they ever were on PC even).

:nocountryforshitposters:

Not even lying. There are overall probably more turn-based rpgs (and more popular ones like Ogre Battle, FF Tactics, Fire Emblem, Langrisser, Disgea and all those games, Shining Force, Vandal Hearts, Valkyria Chorincles, Growlanser..................................................) on console than on PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_role-playing_game

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm sure there are some turn-based games on consoles. But saying TB games are a part of console gaming even more than PC gaming is fucking bananas.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Turn based RPGs died in the early 90s (Fallout being one last gasp), whereas they continued to thrive on consoles through the 00s.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Turn based RPGs died in the early 90s (Fallout being one last gasp), whereas they continued to thrive on consoles through the 00s.

Jesus fucking christ, outside of the jRPG ghetto there were next to none turn based RPGs on consoles. Plus the statement I reacted to was "TB gaming was a bigger part of consoles than it EVER was on PC". TB gaming in general, mind you. Now let's stop please, this is getting really retarded now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jesus fucking christ, outside of the jRPG ghetto there were next to none turn based RPGs on consoles. Plus the statement I reacted to was "TB gaming was a bigger part of consoles than it EVER was on PC". TB gaming in general, mind you. Now let's stop please, this is getting really retarded now.
Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest make up a hell of a ghetto. :M

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

I mean, consoles and RTS have only been done as far back as Dune II on the Mega Drive, but fuck reality

If you don't mind playing it like shit due to the inherent inaccuracies of a controller, sure.

"inherent inaccuracies of a controller" :lol:

what limited experience do you have with "inaccurate console controls"?

The analogue sticks are not precise, and you don't get hotkeys.

Analog sticks are precisely doing what analog sticks are supposed to do. A well designed console game isn't going to require absolue precision movement with an analog stick... in fact console controls tend to be way more intelligent because they allow you to latch onto things and navigate without turning the game into a precision clicking contest for autists. If that's what you like your games' difficulty to depend upon, that's retarded.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Try not using auto-aim, or sniping in Dark Souls.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

nice moving the goal posts here, from RTS to Dark Souls :lol:, but I'll humour you, you're saying Dark Souls is a clear case of games being superior (to control) because developed with PC in mind first?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

nice moving the goal posts here, from RTS to Dark Souls :lol:, but I'll humour you, you're saying Dark Souls is a clear case of games being superior (to control) because developed with PC in mind first?

What are you on about? Dark Souls wasn't made for PC first, and in most cases using a controller would be preferable. Free aiming is harder with the analogue stick than a mouse though due to the lack of precision, just like how clicking on a moving unit on a RTS, micro-ing or grouping would be difficult on a controller too. Explain how you can micro with a controller, because that's a big part of RTS games.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's OK for controllers to be awkward and sketchy because console games are designed to accommodate these weaknesses. In fact that makes them superior somehow!
kisspng-student-education-test-school-employability-jovenes-5b18349f70e8c7.6608568315283129914625.jpg

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

What are you on about? Dark Souls wasn't made for PC first, and in most cases using a controller would be preferable. Free aiming is harder with the analogue stick than a mouse though due to the lack of precision, just like how clicking on a moving unit on a RTS, micro-ing or grouping would be difficult on a controller too. Explain how you can micro with a controller, because that's a big part of RTS games.

I played the original Dark Souls on PS3 for a very short time (because there was nothing else worthwhile for it). It did have some kind of lock-on IIRC, I don't know why you'd even turn it off. The whole point of the game was remembering enemy movement patterns, it wasn't very shootery anyways.

Console games tend to have functionality that PC games don't have in the same way, precisely because PC autists love clicking on things precisely with the mouse. Where you can easily latch onto/ browse through unity on consoles, RTS on PC are basically mouse dexterity contests.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I played the original Dark Souls on PS3 for a very short time (because there was nothing else worthwhile for it). It did have some kind of lock-on IIRC, I don't know why you'd even turn it off. The whole point of the game was remembering enemy movement patterns, it wasn't very shootery anyways.

Console games tend to have functionality that PC games don't have in the same way, precisely because PC autists love clicking on things precisely with the mouse. Where you can easily latch onto/ browse through unity on consoles, RTS on PC are basically mouse dexterity contests.

If you have a bow you can use strong attack to enter a sort of first person mode. This allows you to shoot enemies out of lock on range, enabling to either pull them closer (so you don't get ambushed by 3 guys or something) or just cheese the AI by sniping at them from a ledge. Its a useful tactic.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

If you have a bow you can use strong attack to enter a sort of first person mode. This allows you to shoot enemies out of lock on range, enabling to either pull them closer (so you don't get ambushed by 3 guys or something) or just cheese the AI by sniping at them from a ledge. Its a useful tactic.

Hmm. So it's cheese, but not comfortable enough to use?

Not saying using a bow wasn't a pain, I never played an archer. Just that you don't make it sound like a problem.

Deleted Member 16721

The tastiest shit still tastes like shit.

Says the guy who has absolutely no experience with the controller. I've used it for hundreds of hours with RPGs such as NWN, PS:T, BG, and more, and yes, it is quite comfortable and certainly playable with the controller. There is a reason Beamdog is making console versions of the Infinity Engine games and it's because the controls via a controller feel great and are easy to use. I know, I've played those games extensively with it.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The tastiest shit still tastes like shit.

Says the guy who has absolutely no experience with the controller. I've used it for hundreds of hours with RPGs such as NWN, PS:T, BG, and more, and yes, it is quite comfortable and certainly playable with the controller. There is a reason Beamdog is making console versions of the Infinity Engine games and it's because the controls via a controller feel great and are easy to use. I know, I've played those games extensively with it.

But why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom