Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 to use Unity

koyima

Educated
But you didn't get it.
All that was said is Fargo had options, he chose Unity, then we say Unity is nice but we were EXPECTING something different.

You said that given the time and money Unity is the best choice. Now here I get confused I don't if you want to say if it's the best or the only choice.
It may be the best to Fargo given the time/money constraint, but we have OUR DOUBTS, we are allowed to, you know?
But Unity certainly wasn't the ONLY option, plenty of things could be done. I'm not going to name an engine, Fargo knows better what options he had and I KNOW he had other options.

I understand that Fargo wants to give back to the community and Unity being popular will be a great way for gamers to mod it. For me this reason only already allows me to understand Fargo, just that, you don't have to thrown me a game list, or say that popularity is better than a well designed engine.
I don't KNOW if Unity is a well designed engine I certainly won't trust you to tell me that, I looked at their site and their site hasn't impressed me.
I can try Unity and check it out, but you can yell all you want. I will trust my own judgment, thank you.

Really, there's nothing more to be said, we are all just repeating ourselves.

No, many people were saying Unity is a POS and that's why I came here. I say it in the first line of my first post.

You say you were expecting something different, but you don't say what. None of you do, except Davaris and Drocon, who proposed C4.

I never said it's the only choice, look at my history, find post number 1. I explained why Unity was chosen, over other engines, also known as options.

You don't know if Unity is well designed and their site didn't impress you. OK.

Which engine/engine's site impressed you? Can you at least answer this?

I'm not telling you to trust me, I presented a hypothesis and data to support it.

You can take it or leave it, but you can't claim to know better, when you can't/haven't presented your own thesis/hypothesis, nor
any other viable alternative even by name.

Of course it is your choice to believe what you want and make up your own mind, I am simply defending my hypothesis.

EG

Nullified
At least many of you fine gents were emotionally engaged during this period of repetition.

Further adventures in Unity: No further ahead, really. Found out the work I did at the college is incorrect due to settings in their PhotoShop, such as pixels per inch (a terribly stupid mistake. One that made things very awkward in unity, as pixels per inch seem to matter more to it than pixels in an image. Perhaps this makes sense, though, to the more knowledgeable among you.). It'll have to be redone tomorrow. Adding colliders that then throw themselves at a software cursor should take care of issues regarding context-sensitive mouse pointers.

I've largely completed moving initialization into a single, primary start script, to avoid re-creating Rects and applying textures .etc on every OnGUI call. This doesn't mean calls won't happen outside this script, nor that objects won't be created. It just seemed like the best way to handle things via iteration through arrays, once. I've also added the holy grail of 4:3 scaling, relying on modifying the fixed resolution of the textures within Unity, rather than relying on Unity itself to rape and pillage at its leisure. With the dawn, and the sleep before said dawn, I'm sure I'll realize this was incredibly stupid and start back at the beginning, or quit.

Anyone know of a newer version of frm_viewer or equivalent? Currently, it's pulling up a good few corrupted bmps.

tiagocc0

Arcane
No, many people were saying Unity is a POS and that's why I came here. I say it in the first line of my first post.

You say you were expecting something different, but you don't say what. None of you do, except Davaris and Drocon, who proposed C4.

I never said it's the only choice, look at my history, find post number 1. I explained why Unity was chosen, over other engines, also known as options.

You don't know if Unity is well designed and their site didn't impress you. OK.

Which engine/engine's site impressed you? Can you at least answer this?

I'm not telling you to trust me, I presented a hypothesis and data to support it.

You can take it or leave it, but you can't claim to know better, when you can't/haven't presented your own thesis/hypothesis, nor
any other viable alternative even by name.

Of course it is your choice to believe what you want and make up your own mind, I am simply defending my hypothesis.

Some said it yes, and then you fight all of us like we all did it.
Okay, better then, it's not the only option.
You know of the public options.
Fargo knows a lot of people in the industry, those weren't the only options.
Of the public know options I agree with you Fargo, Unity all the way, but I was expecting something else.

I said I won't state an engine, I'm not in the industry and I haven't tested many and I don't know the prices and I don't want to google it.
What I really don't like is that you want to shove up our asses that Unity is good, you go from being the best option to W2 to being a great engine.
I can agree with being the best public know option but I can't agree with it being a great engine.
Your arguments weren't that good, I'm not going to prove you otherwise, I'm just stating that your arguments weren't good enough.

I don't think a big list of games is a good argument, I understand the risky factor, but it still doesn't prove that the engine is well designed. It proves that it's popular.
That's why this argument won't work on me.

..too tired.. have to sleep.. cya

EG

Nullified
koyima, "No, many people were saying Unity is a POS and that's why I came here. " . . . And. That's a problem. One that makes it incredibly easy to ignore your repetitive points about the popularity and how good it's been for you to use, that keep reappearing (and provoked by others, I reckon' swell.).

Makes you look like a marketer.

"Wah! You don't like what I like so I must defend it from your unlikingness, reasonable or insane, on your turf! Wahhh!"

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Anyway the whole discussion is pointless, the test case we are talking about is Wasteland, they made their decision, they even explained it, what else can I say.

For whatever reason X developers used X engine, inXile is using Unity for their y reasons. I tried to explain, they tried to explain...
I agree with you and lmbarns on this. I know some have poo-pooed the engine choice. I personally just didn't think the argument that "it's popular" works as a defense.

And as I said in my own first post in this thread, it's an engine without "street cred" which is where most of the concerns come from. I still assume that inXile know WTF they're doing though and can make it work (as they have access to the source code) - regardless of whether they run into major problems with it or not.

I suppose only time will tell.

EG

Nullified
Will inXile hasten the decline or merely give it a few seconds pause in 18 months (all due to Unity)?

Only we can decide.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Frankly I don't understand why this has lasted 25 pages. From what I see none of the engines backed here have been used to make anything worthwhile. Which suggests that either the engines all are crap or there hasn't been a properly resourced developer using them up until now. Maybe Drog is right and Unity suxxors, but I think he's looking at it from a basement/attic dwelling, lone-wolf indie developer point of view and maybe he sees limitations that just don't apply to a proper studio with source code access. Virtually all the games made on Unity are also garage jobs or very tiny studios so that also isn't a fair assessment of an engines' potential.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Frankly I don't understand why this has lasted 25 pages.

We were told they had the source, on page 5 or was it 6? So WL2 became irrelevant to this discussion long ago.

Well then is seems that the discussion is irrelevant to the topic. Now it's just a general rant about engines while 'out of the box'. In that case, maybe Unity is weaker or maybe not, but it seems really that it all depends on the skill of the developer to get the most out of the engine. Having the source code pretty much ends any discussion anyway. Arcanum engine turned into the TOEE engine because the devs could do what they liked with it. You'd be hard pressed to see any similarities beyond being turn based between the two versions. This is what I think will happen with W2. You won't even know it's Unity beyond some superficial things.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
ou won't even know it's Unity beyond some superficial things.

Yeah, that's what DU said.

If koyima hadn't crashed the party with his Unity Vanilla, is the best engine evar, the discussion would have concluded long ago.

DakaSha

Arcane
if unity gets the job done (there is no reason it wont) then who gives a flying fuck. Less time spent on an in house engine means more time spent on actual gameplay. Anybody complaining about the usage of unity (not that ive read the thread but im sure some are) just has no clue (simply put)

tiagocc0

Arcane
Looks like we were able to keep some people so engaged in the thread that we starved them to death. Mission accomplished.
:thumbsup:

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anything below 9/10 exuberance is trolling, so far as Brother None is concerned.

Just read the whole thread. Thought it was interesting though it's of course an academic discussion, not like they will run off and buy Cryengine because some posters disapprove.

You are absolutely right. They should run off and buy C4 instead. :troll:

koyima

Educated
Also, there's really not much in the way of programmers for Unity compared to other engines.
Oh well. Now I almost wish I'd stuck with Unity instead of moving to greener pastures so I'd have a chance to work on WL 2, but if it turned into a doomed project I'd probably regret it a lot. Hey, it's the guy who ruined Wasteland franchise! And it's looking likely now.

45000 for 30 uses is about 44500 more than it's worth.
But I bet that they got it a lot cheaper, or even free, due to kickstarter fame. The editor is good with unity so there's that, but it's still a really surprising and probably retarded move.

It's my favorite engine to hate. Especially when I see retards like DakaSha make a "cool" video in a couple hours and think they are super awesome game developers.

Lots and lots of D-list indies. Sure bets are that Unity is cheap and can be made to look pretty. Don't know about potential downsides, I haven't heard any horror stories about these four games though engine wise.

but of course we would all love for this to be on the prestigious unreal engine IV

I like Fargo quite a bit. He has made or helped make some of best games evah. I don't think Unity was probably a great choice but they got the source code and all our jewgoldz so they will make it work somehow probably. And of course MCA is the guiding light of my life and I'd never blaspheme against him.

Game will probably be good but it's sad they chose a poor tool to realize this (hopefully) glorious game.

I know Fargo will deliver, I have said it a few pages before. W2 will probably be great, I sure do hope so.
But the game can become the number one in the galaxy and it still won't make me like Unity.

Seriously, I would rather they did a top down 2D game, with a custom engine and did it really well.

C4 isn't the one true engine, its editor is pretty crap, but most of the engines around are really crap for making a complex game such as XCom or TOEE.

Unity can't scale an image properly, either.

And it can't even directly draw anything on the screen! It has to be part of a provided (very barebones) widget set, or a 3D object. So people making 2D games actually use 3D billboards, which then have a whole bunch of artifacts and have to be transformed in 3D if you want to move them around (hope you remember your maths, and whoops too bad screen space doesn't map directly into the view frustrum, you have to cast a ray and you still get errors). Pretty cool, huh?

But the punchline is that the scripting for it works exactly like javascript. Meaning you have a bunch of scripted onDraw commands and you can't really use anything like OOP for the GUI, the place it's of the most use. So it basically completely kills all software engineering, which is replaced by copypasting, and having the same thing programmed in many places. It's exactly like javascript in a web page. Great for simple stuff, impossible for anything else.

Cryengine is a finely made engine, but when someone says they are making an RPG it means you can probably be sure it's going to be very heavy on the action and light on the RPG, but even it is better than Unity for RPG style game. Torque and Unity are both just plain crap. Unity is a lot easier for artists to use than torque but it's even more shit for programmers than Torque.

Yeah there's also corridor shooters with almost nonexistent GUI, and very few enemies onscreen at once.

Games today aren't just crap because bobby kotick hates christmas. They're also crap because of consoles, and engines. When engines are designed a certain way (part due to consoles and cellphones, part because it's just cheaper) that's how the games are because that's all you really can make without spending way too much effort.

Why are games in corridors? Why are there few enemies onscreen? Why is HUD getting tinier with every game? Why is AI scripted? Why hitscan? Why health regen? Why do guys run so slow in most games now?

It's not just because they seemed like cool ideas, and not all of it is due to consoles.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Why are you quoting me? Now I can't say I won't like Unity even if the game is good?
Oh my god, shoot me for I do not like Unity!

EDIT:
SHOOT ME BECAUSE I HAVE MY OPINION!

St. Toxic

Arcane
Only brainless faggots could come to the conclusion that C4 is capable of anything other than producing pure garbage for the bin. Not the bargain bin, mind you, an actual bin. Maybe even a furnace. Same thing for the brainless faggots.

lmbarns

Educated
Real men use Game Maker anyways what are we talking about?
:pete:

Damn you guys are european or stay up all night posting? :bounce:

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Only brainless faggots could come to the conclusion that C4 is capable of anything other than producing pure garbage for the bin. Not the bargain bin, mind you, an actual bin. Maybe even a furnace. Same thing for the brainless faggots.
courtesy-of-metal-photo.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom