Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2's Delay: All About Making Choice Matter

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
^^

This.

Blindly lock me out and yet simultaneously let me peer through the now-translucent developer decision curtain with an illogical chain of events like that and I'm going to be disappointed.

Remind me elegantly , however, of the consequences of my decisions through logical gameplay elements such as being able to still visit the bombed-out town and I'll be satisfied.

This can't and won't always be applicable, of course; when it comes to purely story-driven C&C having to do with intellectual or moral decisions potentially locking out conversations, meetings, or personality-driven events, et al, I will expect whole branches to not be able to be 'visited' again. This is logical.

It's funny because some of Fargo and Co.'s descriptions and examples of how this is all going to work seem to contradict each other, so we may have to simply wait until release to really see how it all pans out.

KithKanan

Novice
^^
Remind me elegantly , however, of the consequences of my decisions through logical gameplay elements such as being able to still visit the bombed-out town and I'll be satisfied.

I get the impression the area won't just disappear from the map based on what someone
( :mca: or maybe
:cmcc: ?) said in an interview about an area that they were designing being almost like designing two areas because it was completely different if <SOMETHING THEY COULDN'T TALK ABOUT> happened or not.

Whether there's a non-Ranger way to get from Arizona to California is the interesting question, as is your purpose in visiting California (any fruit to declare?) if you do get there via some alternative means.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Fallout 1: The Glow and the Brotherhood of Steel. If you didn't get into the Glow, you missed getting into BoS. Made me replay the game again after I'd found out that beam could have a rope put on it. I swear to God I moused over that fucker everywhere the first time and missed it. Mind you, dying from the radiation there because I didn't take the Anti-Rad pills did make me avoid it.
That isn't really the same. You just couldn't do A which is required to get into B, therefore no B for you.
It's similar enough. If you couldn't find the way in, then you missed out on A (The Glow) and B (BoS). If you got into the Glow but couldn't find what you were looking for, then you missed out on B - but the issue is still the same, you "missed out" on content. You missed out on and end-game option (no talking the Master to death using Vree's holodisk to show the Super Mutants were infertile), you missed out on the best piece of armour in the game and you missed out on having allies with you when you attack the Military Base. Along with B being completely inaccessible.

I expect similar options to be available in Wasteland 2. Don't have a high enough lock-picking skill? Well, you're not getting into the level of the military base that's full of secret goodies. That means you miss out on the awesome weaponry and might have a harder time fighting the bad guys at the end.

1) Crispy doesn't complain about quest C&C. If you don't have a high enough lock-picking skill, you should not get in that military base. That's normal and expected behavior.

2) What Crispy is saying better than me is this: an elegant C&C design allows the player to make informed decisions. Give him hints, throw some info and let the player decide what he should do. Let him use or ignore the information, that's his prerogative.
You mean like the Brotherhood of Steel does? Clearly technologically superior military establishment which you can join if you go and quest for the right thing.

And Crispy didn't say any of that. Crispy said (what I responded to):

I mean if there are going to supposedly be entire sections of the game that are going to be locked out via certain choices, requiring a complete replay in order to even see, that's pretty harsh. Retarded, I might even say.

He even goes one further "Absolutely forcing a replay in order to not miss out on large sections of the game just seems wrong to me."

This is the "Bethesda Softworks 101" school of thought. You can't have the precious petals "miss out" on all those quests and NPCs in that area, so we make all the quest NPCs immortal, we remove any real "consequences" and your "choice" merely boils down to at what time you choose to experience that content.

There's nothing in any of what Crispy says (not until this page anyway) about "allowing the player to make informed decisions", nothing in there about "hints" or "throw some info and let the player decide". In actual fact he states via certain choices, so I could equally argue that the player will be fully aware of the consequences of their decision at the time (otherwise it's not really a "choice" now, is it?).

What he says is fairly fucking black and white to me: What, I can't visit Town X unless I replay the entire game because I chose Option B? Fuck that lame bullshit! That's retarded! Town X should always be available! "Locking out entire towns because I made a choice, and only being able to visit that if I replay and make the opposite choice? What? That's harsh! Who wants to replay games!??"

... like this is some sort of retarded Bethesda game where you should be able to do everything.

3) Your comparison between Fallout and Witcher 2 is incorrect
That wasn't my comparison, just fyi. That was Rivmusique I think. I haven't played Witcher 2 so aren't really in a position to comment on it.

Don't have a high enough lock-picking skill? Well, you're not getting into the level of the military base that's full of secret goodies. That means you miss out on the awesome weaponry and might have a harder time fighting the bad guys at the end.
In a party-based game though, wouldn't you typically have a thief with lock-picking and a diplomat with persuasion, etc.?
Not necessarily. Perhaps more to the point, if I choose to have a team full of Soldier-types, what should the game do to inform me of all that content I'm going to miss out on? Pop-up a dialogue box that says "Hey, you don't have anyone with Lockpicking, you'll miss out on fat loot which you'll only realise half-way through the game, forcing you to restart!"

.. or what if my Lockpicking guy only has 20 points in the skill and he needs 40 to open the next lock? Should the game tell me when I level-up? "Hey, watch out - the next part of the game has some tougher locks, you better up that Lockpicking skill!". Especially annoying if you're only a point or two off. You know, it's only fair, right?

Sometimes you have to make a "blind" choice - and you won't be entirely aware of the consequences until you get deeper into the game.

it isn't so much about the amount as it is about the form of the consequences.
having to choose which town to save is fine as long as the choice alters the town you didn't choose while also offering at least some (different) content there. it's not fine if the other town just becomes unaccessible/deserted/empty as that just emphasizes the fact that the choice is forced upon you for no reason whatsoever without allowing you to split your party.
You should only be able to split your team if you then get to watch as both half-teams get horribly outnumbered, die and you lose the game right then and there because you haven't got enough man power.

It's only fair.

The only thing I dislike about content becoming unavailable due to choices and consequences, is that it leads to metagaming when making decisions, especially when replaying. You end up making choices based on what content you want to see and not on what makes sense in-game.
And how is this different to any other game? If I play Mount & Blade, and decide to focus on Bows & Arrows and Horseback Riding, I miss out on being able to use Pole-arms, One-Handed Swords and Shields and Long Swords. Those are entire fields of content and game-play that I'm missing out on. All those items I ignore and sell-off because they're useless to me.

I miss out on being able to run about on foot fending off horsemen because my foot skills aren't up to par (and may even die as a result of that). I miss out on being able to use Crossbows (different skill from standard Bows I think). I miss out on being able to use pole-arms from the back of a horse. I miss out on heavily armoured horses because I want to keep mine light and fast.

The only way to experience that content is to replay and roll a different character. The same can be said for Arcanum. If I choose to play a techie, I "miss out" on the Magic content, including some quests. In fact every major combat skill in Arcanum has a special quest associated with it that gets you "the best" skills and weapon.

If I want to experience any of that different - or "missing" - content, I have no choice but to re-start and make meta-gaming decisions. "Oh, I've played this game as a Magician spamming harm spells - now I want to try it as a Swordsman and see what's different".

From a game-play perspective, visiting an empty crater is pointless. The people are all dead and they've taken their quests with them. The content is no longer there. The only way you get that back is to replay the entire game from the beginning - which it seems is what you're most upset about. Having those people still there, with their quests still available (IE: "the content") even after their town has been bombed out, would be exceedingly lame and make any "consequences" from your "choices" utterly meaningless.

That content is gone. As Fargo basically says: Entire sections of game-play gone. *poof*. Entire towns wiped off the map. And the only way to get it back is to start again and make a different choice.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Oh, fuck you, DU. Take a cold shower -- your hard on for me might subside a little.

Then try going back and reconsidering all of my posts ITT. I modified my stance, but I think I'm being completely reasonable in questioning Fargo's rather extreme-sounding preaching about his Amazing Super Saiyan C&C.

For the record: I look for meaningful choices and consequences in RPG's. I love reactivity and intelligent quest design that does NOT cater to completionists nor limp-wristed needers-of-hand-holding. I even go so far as to self-restrict certain priveledges I could take with lesser RPG's for sake of what I would call roleplaying purity. Label me a Bethtard anyway; I don't really give a fuck about what you think about me.

But I'm also not the kind of guy who's going to blindly and automatically buy into this kind of strong language, what some term hype, without at least scrutinizing it more than what most of my fellow Bethtards will do over Todd's next project, whatever that may be. When Fargo and his boys start claiming things like “We aren't shy about shutting off entire levels of gameplay," that doesn't sound like quest C&C to me, that sounds more like, hmm... what happened to Megaton maybe?

All I'm asking for is an avoidance of anything blatantly illogical. Continuity is nice, irrationality is not. Any sufficiently large claim in an RPG's design should be equally sufficiently planned out so as not to make it superflous and distracting, if not downright just stupid. If Fargo's going to these great lengths just to show that he can, then he's wrong in doing so.

Edit: And, by the "bombed out town", I did mean its smoking crater. It's still there, right? Why can't we see it? Isn't that more emotionally impactful than just seeing a screen that says you can't go that way? Wasn't the example I gave about finding the titanium safe clear enough to convey my meaning?

Edit 2: Besides, the point's moot:

RPS: How much work have you done for Wasteland 2?

Avellone: A lot of area design. I did about four area designs. I reviewed some system documentation. The area design stuff was a little bit more complicated, because each of the areas I designed had two completely different states depending on certain events that happened in the game. So it felt more like I was designing six areas.

Guess MCA sees it my way.

The only thing I dislike about content becoming unavailable due to choices and consequences, is that it leads to metagaming when making decisions, especially when replaying. You end up making choices based on what content you want to see and not on what makes sense in-game.

Choose what feels more "natural" for your personality the first time you play, next time you choose the other options (this shouldn't affect your immersion anymore than the simple act of playing as a different character does). If one of the choices never makes sense no matter the circumstances (save the merchant because you like him or just so you'll still be able to buy things, or kill him BECAUSE THAT'S EBIL AND EVIL IS KEWL MUAHAHHAHAHA), it's a shitty choice anyway.

Karmapowered

Augur
People bitch and scream for C&C, but moan and cry when it actually happens. Did I get that right ? :troll:

Depriving the player of content, especially if it's very valuable or even essential (like the best weapon in game, a great henchman or an entire area), is retarded if said content can ONLY be found with out-of-the-game guides/FAQ, alternatively only reached through features like "New Game+". Just to make sure, I am not talking about content of the complexity of Caius Cosades here.

This happens for some Japanese games. It doesn't seem to be the case for Wasteland 2.

I hope Fargo will stick to his guns.

C&C is good. Num num.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
3) Your comparison between Fallout and Witcher 2 is incorrect
That wasn't my comparison, just fyi. That was Rivmusique I think. I haven't played Witcher 2 so aren't really in a position to comment on it.

I just referred to the articles mention of Witcher 2, which compared it to Wasteland 2. Fallout doesn't lock content in a Witcher 2 way at all. It does seem to me that the choice that results in the town being destroyed is more Witcher 2-y, a choice that essentially decides which of 2 areas + its associated quests you see on that playthrough.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Oh, fuck you, DU.
You'd like that, wouldn't you Crispy?

Someone to fuck that is. :troll:

Then try going back and reconsidering all of my posts ITT.
Ok.

Is there ever such a thing as too much C&C? I mean if there are going to supposedly be entire sections of the game that are going to be locked out via certain choices, requiring a complete replay in order to even see, that's pretty harsh. Retarded, I might even say.

I like the idea of areas changing, being war-torn or what have you depending on if you decided to neglect them or through some other choices, but as I said for the area simply not to exist or not to be able to be visited in any way because of those choices might get frustrating. Absolutely forcing a replay in order to not miss out on large sections of the game just seems wrong to me.

Only so much sugar should be added to any cake. You feel me?

You sure about that?

“We have so many sequences,” added inXile president Matt Findley. “About half the game, most people will never see. We’re not afraid at all to create content that’s off the critical path or can be closed off permanently.”

“On the biggest level,” Fargo continued, “there will be areas that will be completely different. Gone, destroyed. There’s not one just like it to make up for it. It’s just gone.”

Seems pretty clear to me.

I won't mind it if that ends up being the case - most games don't provide enough incentive for a replay, even if they have branching quests and C&C. It'll be interesting to see how far they take it.

I can see that. Truthfully, if it's as reactive a game as they're promising, it'll be refreshing to see. But I still think certain things can be taken too far. If it becomes SO OBVIOUS that Fargo had this obsession with ruthlessly punishing the player for not robbing the local tavern while the other bandits were already there that you'll NEVER get to see their huge, sprawling base because YOU WEREN'T EVIL ENOUGH then I'm just going to roll my eyes at that.

Not saying that type of extreme scenario's going to happen, but I wonder how mad of a scientist Fargo is turning out to be. Might he need to chill a little?

You can always save before the decision can you not? Then play through both choices... Thus not having to replay if you do not wish to. This wouldn't even be a problem if you couldn't quick save, just copy paste the save game file etc. You are complaining about something that is essentially a non issue.

A new beast: Save Scumming for C&C?

Sure. But I kind of loathe doing that. Call me a LARPer or way too oldschool or whatever, but I still enjoy trying to recreate the feeling of sitting around a table with some bro's and a GM and playing out the scenario the way it plays out -- more along the lines of what C&C implies (or defines) -- the first time, without... cheating?

I know that term is rather stretching it, and your suggestion is a good one, but I'd rather have the option of simply traveling to some of these formerly "locked out" areas after the main quest is completed, just to see what I've missed out on. Will that alone dissuade people (like me) from ever replaying the game? I don't think so. There are far more reasons to replay a good CRPG than just missed-out-on C&C branches, storyline branches, etc. Just experimenting with different character combinations, for example.

Fargo may just be drunk on power lolidunno.

something like a scripted nuke going off if you side with some extremists

Can we still go back and explore the cratered area anyway, once we've found the ultimate enviro suits and maybe even find an incredibly tough titanium-laced safe in a bombed out building somewhere that still provides a rare weapon but also reminds us poetically about our choice to let the place get nuked?

That would seem to me to be the more elegant solution. It doesn't sound like that's the direction the game's going in. Fargo's saying, clearly, "Do this and you will not be able to go here. Ever."

Why?

Yeah, you're pretty clear.

You think it's retarded if you have to replay the game to experience content. Why should your choices lock you out of anywhere or have you miss out on anything?

You think that Saints and Angels should be able to join the Bad Guy's club and see their base - because missing out on that content would just be "retarded". Ignoring the fact that it makes no sense for a goody-two-shoes to ever be invited into the Bad Guy™ Club.

And you want to be able to wipe a town off the face of the map with a nuke, but still go back there afterwards to get the really good weapon. You know, probably the only worthwhile thing that was in that town for a munchkin gamer to get.

You want to be able to visit towns that for choices you made in the game, shouldn't be open to you, just so you can figure out whether it's worth reloading or not. You know, to get the good stuff. But reloading is a dumb idea, so really, you should still be able to get the good stuff anyway, right?

That's not choice and "consequence". That's Bethesda Softworks.

I modified my stance, but I think I'm being completely reasonable in questioning Fargo's rather extreme-sounding preaching about his Amazing Super Saiyan C&C.

For the record: I look for meaningful choices and consequences in RPG's. I love reactivity and intelligent quest design that does NOT cater to completionists nor limp-wristed needers-of-hand-holding. I even go so far as to self-restrict certain priveledges I could take with lesser RPG's for sake of what I would call roleplaying purity.
... yeah, just so long as the choices you make don't actually prevent you from "finding out everything". Killed everyone in town? That's ok, there's an information vending machine available that'll tell you all about everything you missed.

"Gosh stranger, if you hadn't killed everyone, you'd be doing some awesome quests here right now!"

But I'm also not the kind of guy who's going to blindly and automatically buy into this kind of strong language, what some term hype, without at least scrutinizing it more than what most of my fellow Bethtards will do over Todd's next project, whatever that may be. When Fargo and his boys start claiming things like “We aren't shy about shutting off entire levels of gameplay," that doesn't sound like quest C&C to me, that sounds more like, hmm... what happened to Megaton maybe?
You mean where you choose to blow-up a town and get to go back to visit the crater afterwards? Which is exactly what you want?

All I'm asking for is an avoidance of anything blatantly illogical.
Yeah, anything illogical like being able to get into the Bad Guy's Sekkrit Lair even though you're not actually a bad guy.

Or to blow up a town with a nuke, but still be able to get the awesome, rare weapon that was there.

Oh wait... That's exactly what you want.

Continuity is nice, irrationality is not. Any sufficiently large claim in an RPG's design should be equally sufficiently planned out so as not to make it superflous and distracting, if not downright just stupid. If Fargo's going to these great lengths just to show that he can, then he's wrong in doing so.
And has Fargo given any indication that these "consequences" are "stupid" or "irrational"? Has he said anything that seems it would create "illogical" choices?

Edit: And, by the "bombed out town", I did mean its smoking crater. It's still there, right? Why can't we see it? Isn't that more emotionally impactful than just seeing a screen that says you can't go that way? Wasn't the example I gave about finding the titanium safe clear enough to convey my meaning?
Yes, it was. Your meaning is perfectly clear: You still want the goodies. You don't want your choices to deny you from getting any fat loot from an area. You want to blow it the fuck up, wipe it off the map...

... but still go back and get the cool stuff! Going so far as to say that denying you any cool stuff - because, like, the entire town is nothing but smoking rubble - would be "retarded". Clearly blowing things up should get you even cooler stuff!

valcik

Arcane
Clearly blowing things up should get you even cooler stuff!
I asked myself the same in the Lonesome Road DLC (FNV). There's ground zero location with buildings wiped out by a fucking A-bomb, yet you can find a lot of intact wooden crates full of loot right here. Even a purified water in glass bottles!
:mca:

Midair

Learned
Choose what feels more "natural" for your personality the first time you play, next time you choose the other options (this shouldn't affect your immersion anymore than the simple act of playing as a different character does).

Naturally, if the plot branching is indeed a consequence of my character's personality and not just "save town A or B, not both b/c that's not hardcore". Mutually exclusive content alone != C&C. And the personality of a party IS different than a single character.

To the point of metagaming, I don't think it just comes from wishing to see content. Metagaming often seems to be encouraged when you fail at something, e.g. when getting dropped from a dialogue into combat. Aren't you supposed to reload and pick different dialogue options, just like if you failed a combat you would reload and try a different tactic?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
... huge reply ...
Considering that the TW2/FO2 comparison is not yours, I don't have much more to add.

Edit: I have the impression that you are putting words in Crispy's mouth. His statements are not so extreme as you make them sounds. He really did not say that he wants to have access to the entire game content regardless of the choices.

People bitch and scream for C&C, but moan and cry when it actually happens. Did I get that right ? :troll:

No. I've personally complained about a retarded way of implementing C&C.

Depriving the player of content, especially if it's very valuable or even essential (like the best weapon in game, a great henchman or an entire area), is retarded if said content can ONLY be found with out-of-the-game guides/FAQ, alternatively only reached through features like "New Game+". Just to make sure, I am not talking about content of the complexity of Caius Cosades here.

This happens for some Japanese games. It doesn't seem to be the case for Wasteland 2.

I hope Fargo will stick to his guns.

C&C is good. Num num.

And it seems that we are on the same page.

"finding out everything"

Bullshitz. Never said that or anything like it, never implied it. Easy enough right there to shoot down your entire beef with me about this. I've made myself perfectly clear. Go be an aspie on someone else.

Da fuq? It's on your very first post.

Is there ever such a thing as too much C&C? I mean if there are going to supposedly be entire sections of the game that are going to be locked out via certain choices, requiring a complete replay in order to even see, that's pretty harsh. Retarded, I might even say.

I like the idea of areas changing, being war-torn or what have you depending on if you decided to neglect them or through some other choices, but as I said for the area simply not to exist or not to be able to be visited in any way because of those choices might get frustrating. Absolutely forcing a replay in order to not miss out on large sections of the game just seems wrong to me.

Only so much sugar should be added to any cake. You feel me?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm pretty sure that objecting to large portions of the game being locked out through what I would deem illogical reasons and having a burning desire to discover absolutely everything available in the game no matter what are two separate things.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I know it's easy to cherry-pick certain comments and target them, and I realize that reading comprehension in non-BRBRHUEHUEO might not be your forté, but try once again to consider the totality of my stance on the subject and reevaluate, if you please.

If you don't please, then how about this: my opinion on the subject isn't all that important. You could just move on.

(Then again, so could I)

There's nothing to "comprehend" or "cherry pick" here, seems crystal clear to me.

Crispy said:
Absolutely forcing a replay in order to not miss out on large sections of the game just seems wrong to me.

Don't try to weasel out. Ooooh, you don't understand - it's only bad to be locked out of content when that would be illogical , you see. Nope. Embrace the Todd that lives inside you.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
"finding out everything"
Bullshitz. Never said that or anything like it, never implied it. Easy enough right there to shoot down your entire beef with me about this. I've made myself perfectly clear. Go be an aspie on someone else.
Bullshit? It's exactly what you said:

I'd rather have the option of simply traveling to some of these formerly "locked out" areas after the main quest is completed, just to see what I've missed out on.
You want to visit areas that have been locked out or made inaccessible as a result of your choices in the game, in order for you to "see what you've missed out on".

And this is after the "main quest is completed". So like what, the town you nuked suddenly gets un-cratered just for you to quest around in? Sounds illogical to me.

I'm pretty sure that objecting to large portions of the game being locked out through what I would deem illogical reasons and having a burning desire to discover absolutely everything available in the game no matter what are two separate things.
Sure but that's not what you said. This is what you said:

Crispy's Greatest Hits said:
if there are going to supposedly be entire sections of the game that are going to be locked out via certain choices, requiring a complete replay in order to even see, that's pretty harsh. Retarded, I might even say.

Absolutely forcing a replay in order to not miss out on large sections of the game just seems wrong to me.

If it becomes SO OBVIOUS that Fargo had this obsession with ruthlessly punishing the player for not robbing the local tavern while the other bandits were already there that you'll NEVER get to see their huge, sprawling base because YOU WEREN'T EVIL ENOUGH then I'm just going to roll my eyes at that.

Can we still go back and explore the cratered area anyway, once we've found the ultimate enviro suits and maybe even find an incredibly tough titanium-laced safe in a bombed out building somewhere that still provides a rare weapon but also reminds us poetically about our choice to let the place get nuked?
Concerns mentioned:
1. Having to replay a game to see "large sections of content" that you missed, due to the choices you made in your play-through, is "too much c&c", "retarded" and "wrong". There is no mention of anything "illogical".
2. Missing out on visiting the Bandits Lair just because you're not evil enough to be invited to its secret location is "eye roll inducing" (despite that seeming to be illogical).
3.. You have a strong desire to visit areas that have been completely destroyed by thermonuclear explosion and find "rare weapons" in the remains (despite that seeming to be illogical and potentially negating the reason for nuking the town in the first place).

Concerns NOT mentioned:
1. Anything about it being ok if it's not illogical.
2. Any example from any of the information inXile have released which demonstrates that what they're planning may be illogical.

And now, despite outlining some very specific examples of what you want - examples which are illogical - you claim that you're only concern is if you can't visit areas because it would be illogical. In fact, being able to visit those areas even if it is completely illogical to do so, is ok with you. In fact, it's what you want.

I know it's easy to cherry-pick certain comments and target them,
No-one's cherry picking. I even quoted you in full in my earlier post above.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Not that I don't see the significance of the two viewpoints, but will this have any impact on Wasteland 2's development?

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I think I know what crispy meant in a round about kind of way... Or at least this is how I feel about it. I don't mind having content locked out i.e. I'm a good guy therefore not invited to the bad guys club. What I won't like is if they make branching BS like the Witcher 2, where you are locked in with said dwarves or human camp, BEFORE knowing what you are getting into. It's one thing to make a mission where you have a limited amount of time so you can only save one of two cities from total anahilation. It's another thing entirely to simply trap the player in a location for arbitrary reasons (you were nice to Roache once, so you may never ever ever for any reason be friends with the non-humans again).

Missing out on quests and loot though, well that's kind of the whole point of C&C to begin with is it not? Being able to see everything//go everywhere/loot everyone is full retard mechanics. I do hope that they add an overall 'timer' mechanic to Wasteland 2. Not enough games use this in a punnishing enough way, or at all for that matter. Personally I think timed games probably have the most awesome game mechanic ever, adding a tension that is sorely lacking in most RPGs as you casually explore every inch of every surface while the world is in "danger".

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Missing out on quests and loot though, well that's kind of the whole point of C&C to begin with is it not? Being able to see everything//go everywhere/loot everyone is full retard mechanics.

I absolutely agree with this, but I don't seem to be making a dent when it comes to fighting DU's wall of autism. He's (as well as Cockwork Night are) locked in on a couple of the points I made and no amount of trying to point out that my stance isn't as simple as "I WANNA SEE ALL CONTENT HIURR" will make a difference.

Next I'm going to be labeled butthurt, etc., but again I'll just stand at this point on the fact that I like what MCA's doing and as long as that's the way it turns out (for the most part), I'll be more than happy with the way some of these big C&C events work in W2.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I mean if there are going to supposedly be entire sections of the game that are going to be locked out via certain choices, requiring a complete replay in order to even see, that's pretty harsh. Retarded, I might even say.
What, choices locking out my content? Not in my RPGs!

~Cripsy™

I absolutely agree with this, but I don't seem to be making a dent when it comes to fighting DU's wall of autism. He's (as well as Cockwork Night are) locked in on a couple of the points I made and no amount of trying to point out that my stance isn't as simple as "I WANNA SEE ALL CONTENT HIURR" will make a difference.

Earlier:

Replay? An RPG? To see content I missed the first time because of my choices? That's retarded!

~Cripsy™

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom