Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Darkzone

Arcane
So is WL3 better than WL2 or not?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Slightly more shallow, a lot faster and more fun. One of the rare cases where popamoleification leads towards a better game. They trimmed a lot of fat in mechanics like weapon jamming, and went more cartoony in the tone. If you loved WL2 maybe that annoys you, if you thought WL2 was too slow it is just right.
Definitly play on either the hardest or the second hardest difficulty however. Ranger difficulty is normal, Supreme Jerk is hard, rest is a joke. Also snipers are OP.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It was a mistake to focus so much on those gimmicks that are only useful on Steeltown anyway. The game really needs some new perks.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yes. On Wasteland 3, they did something that I like, they made all attributes relevant and interacting with certain weapon types, some like snipers are very good with intelligence, some like revolvers are very good with charisma, unarmed is good with charisma and on Supreme Jerk because the insane amount of health enemies have, you might need to stun the ones that get too close and it isnt a simple damage scaling, if you have a revolver, having high awareness,luck or intelligence is also extremely good. Of course, the game is far from perfect in balance, snipers are OP killing machines for example and because of the high lethality, this leads to playing it safe and keeping distance as much as possible and abusing ambushes.I also need to say that the weapons are much better designed with interesting unique weapons on hand placed locations all over the map.

The encounters are actually fun with a variety of situations what wasnt the case on Wasteland 2 that was much more trash mob intensive, that with the long periods of trying to open containers over and over again lead Wasteland 2 to have a glacial pace. They also improved the animations, VFX, combat sounds and death animations. Speccing for a flamer and just burning alive an entire room while not the most effective strategy of all is just fun or having a bison, a honey badger and a cat acquired from the animal whisperer skill as meat shields is also fun. The main conflict is also alot more interesting and less than just some vague backdrop for most of the game like it was on Wasteland 2. It is mechanically and technically better than Wasteland 2, just dont expect the next revolution of RPGs as the game is still based on Wasteland 2 character system that isnt something I would say is amazing at offering huge build complexity.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Didn't notice any major bugs that did anything annoying/bad enough to tarnish my own view on the game when I played through the main campaign a few months ago, granted I didn't play it at launch so it may have been worse then but it isn't the case now. As for Steeltown I still don't know, I think I'll probably wait on the second dlc to come out before diving back in.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Shame about the bugs

The only person saying it is a bugfest has been slamming the game regularly since before he played it at all. I had to exit out and reload once while playing the DLC.
Meanwhile, I just played it for another 3 hours and had ~6 lockups in the Airforce base and Colorado Springs. :lol: We have run into some other minor bugs, such as not being able to join a conversation, and only me (the Host) being able to administer healing to an NPC, though.

At this point I refuse to believe that it's just a matter of the traditional retardation of "WoRkS oN mY mAcHinE!!!" though; many of these bugs aren't hardware flukes that can be dismissed, and you have to be some kind of pathologically retarded mongoloid to not notice them or run into them. The cum-slurping secondaries such as yourself in the thread are truly a special breed of delusional. I must say, however, that I did expect the game to be in a better state after nearly a year of patching.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian is slowly approaching that age where he starts to not give a fuck about anyone's opinion, simply because no one expects him to remember what he did more than 5 minutes ago.

I can't tell if I like it or not yet, but it is definitely new.

Saduj

Arcane
Shame about the bugs

The only person saying it is a bugfest has been slamming the game regularly since before he played it at all. I had to exit out and reload once while playing the DLC.
Meanwhile, I just played it for another 3 hours and had ~6 lockups in the Airforce base and Colorado Springs. :lol: We have run into some other minor bugs, such as not being able to join a conversation, and only me (the Host) being able to administer healing to an NPC, though.

At this point I refuse to believe that it's just a matter of the traditional retardation of "WoRkS oN mY mAcHinE!!!" though; many of these bugs aren't hardware flukes that can be dismissed, and you have to be some kind of pathologically retarded mongoloid to not notice them or run into them. The cum-slurping secondaries such as yourself in the thread are truly a special breed of delusional. I must say, however, that I did expect the game to be in a better state after nearly a year of patching.

The post that seems to have you so upset contained nothing but facts: You have been slamming the game since before you played it. You are the only one complaining about rampant buginess. Regardless of what you "refuse to believe", what I said is demonstrably true. If living in reality makes one a "cum-slurping secondary" in your mind, that is really your problem. Calling someone names doesn't change reality.

Since you are the only one reporting this stuff (and probably the only one playing co-op), ever stop to think that maybe the bugs are unique to your particular situation? Seems like a much more likely explanation than "Hurrrr, everyone else is just lying because reasons durr-durr *sniff*"

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Outside some FPS drops on some places, never had a problem and I was playing the Jack Sparrow 1.0 version. It seems co-op is bugged as fuck but outside that, single player seems fine.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The post that seems to have you so upset contained nothing but facts: You have been slamming the game since before you played it. You are the only one complaining about rampant buginess. Regardless of what you "refuse to believe", what I said is demonstrably true. If living in reality makes one a "cum-slurping secondary" in your mind, that is really your problem. Calling someone names doesn't change reality.

Since you are the only one reporting this stuff (and probably the only one playing co-op), ever stop to think that maybe the bugs are unique to your particular situation? Seems like a much more likely explanation than "Hurrrr, everyone else is just lying because reasons durr-durr *sniff*"
Haha, yeah, here I am, reporting from Alternate Reality #1488 for sure. :lol: It's not you having absolutely no standards and paying no attention, surely it is just Luckmann, living in a parallel universe.

:happytrollboy:

As for saying that I've been slamming the game since before I tried it, that's not true. I was only shitting on the aesthetic aspects of the game; the technical commentary didn't come until I actually played the game. Remember? Remember that time when I originally played the game but stopped because it was practically unplayable? Remember that, zoom-zoom?

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Hard to say, really. They are both bad. Junky, messy, ugly, clumsy in every way RPGs which should be left in the garbage and forgotten but just so happens that there're too few full-scaled RPGs around so we're sitting here and still discussing them.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is there really no difference between the shotguns in WL3? Or is it just that the stats screen is shit? I mean it's awful either way, but I'm wondering if it's more awful than I first thought, or if the weapon types are simply more shallow than I anticipated. I can't see any listing for shotgun cone angle, for example. I know I can modify cone angle with weapon mods, but if all existing shotguns are the same, that's kind of shit, but if they are different but the consolized weapon stats screen just doesn't list it, that's a different kind of shit.

As much as WL2 had some serious issues, at least the weapons were OK, and I remember making and modding different shotguns for my shotgun-guy, to cover both short-range/wide-cone and long-range/narrow-cone, frequently switching between them.

Edit: Keep on keeping on with the ratings, my dudes. I'm sure the corporate cum-gargling really helps with the cognitive dissonance that would arise from just answering the question instead. :lol:

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
As much as WL2 had some serious issues, at least the weapons were OK, and I remember making and modding different shotguns for my shotgun-guy, to cover both short-range/wide-cone and long-range/narrow-cone, frequently switching between them.
But you can mod the shotguns so they have a narrow cone and longer range or wide cone and shorter range.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
But you can mod the shotguns so they have a narrow cone and longer range or wide cone and shorter range.
Yes. Like I said.

But are all shotguns themselves the same?

jackofshadows

Magister
Jackhammer, the top tier shotgun shoots 3 times per attack and with longer range/some other mode it was a game-breaking busted weapon, unless they fixed it (doubtful).

DeepOcean

Arcane
Yes. Like I said.

Nope, there are burst shotguns, there are two shot shotguns that have better critical hit, there are regular shot guns, if Im not mistaken as I played the game along time ago, there is a ice shotgun that shoots a projectile, you can also turn shotguns into projectile weapons with ice mods, I think. You can mod them to have longer range and a tight cone, wide cone with short range, elements and etc. Most guns also have unique weapon perks that are dependent on the type of the gun. I played on the 1.0 version, the big problem on the base game with shotguns wasnt the lack of variety but that the burst shotguns were DPS monsters and let the other types on the dust, the reason being because it was easy to get high critical chance so you could in theory shoot 6 shots a turn with almost guaranteed huge critical hits and wipe entire rooms.

They released a few patches that they claim fixed this issue of critical hit stacking too high from both enemies and the players, I really dunno how the state of the game is after the patches as I played 1.0 and cant confirm this is true but yes, there are different shotgun types.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yes. Like I said.

Nope, there are burst shotguns, there are two shot shotguns that have better critical hit, there are regular shot guns, if Im not mistaken as I played the game along time ago, there is a ice shotgun that shoots a projectile, you can also turn shotguns into projectile weapons with ice mods, I think. You can mod them to have longer range and a tight cone, wide cone with short range, elements and etc. Most guns also have unique weapon perks that are dependent on the type of the gun. I played on the 1.0 version, the big problem on the base game with shotguns wasnt the lack of variety but that the burst shotguns were DPS monsters and let the other types on the dust, the reason being because it was easy to get high critical chance so you could in theory shoot 6 shots a turn with almost guaranteed huge critical hits and wipe entire rooms.

They released a few patches that they claim fixed this issue of critical hit stacking too high from both enemies and the players, I really dunno how the state of the game is after the patches as I played 1.0 and cant confirm this is true but yes, there are different shotgun types.
Thanks man. Glad to hear it's just the weapon stats screen being shit. I guess I'll just equip weapons and try them out one by one.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I also haven't played for a while. But if I remember correctly, the crit rate stacking was slightly reduced, but the resultant crit chances still far from low. So you'd end up with 30-40% Crit chance rather then 50-60% (before Combat Shooting). That's still high. Well, at least it makes the Risky Shot special (+70% Crit Rate at the cost of hefty Accuracy penalty) better (or even more OP).

And I think Jackhammer was (rightfully) nerfed. I mean it used to laugh at the DPS of the max Tier Explosive Neutralizer. Also 3 AP to fire a burst shotgun? Looks like an error.
There's also an Energy shotty, btw.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The least you could do is post updates that actually contain information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom