Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

ds

Cipher
Patron
Wasteland 2 has caricatures of groups that are based on something somewhat believable. Wasteland 3 goes has lolrandom murderclowns. Not even remotely comparable.
MgKpVmRqGFHG.jpeg
Yes? Even the Mad Monks (i.e. most extreme faction in W2 you could have picked) don't attack people indiscriminately but have their violence guided by well defined beliefs. They also serve as a personification of Mutually Assured Destruction - not very deep but topical. Of course the concept is taken to the extreme with a pinch of thatsnothowradiationworks to the point where its well beyond realistic. That's why I called them a caricature instead of fully believable themselves - but there is still a logic to their behavior within the world of Wasteland 2.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes? Even the Mad Monks (i.e. most extreme faction in W2 you could have picked) don't attack people indiscriminately but have their violence guided by well defined beliefs. They also serve as a personification of Mutually Assured Destruction - not very deep but topical. Of course the concept is taken to the extreme with a pinch of thatsnothowradionworks to the point where its well beyond realistic. That's why I called them a caricature instead of fully believable themselves - but there is still a logic to their behavior within the world of Wasteland 2.
All Wasteland games have characters whose only purpose is to attack you, and even then, there are clowns you can meet that you can deal with without combat.

https://wasteland.fandom.com/wiki/Los_Payasos I don't see anything objectionable about this

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Yes? Even the Mad Monks (i.e. most extreme faction in W2 you could have picked) don't attack people indiscriminately but have their violence guided by well defined beliefs. They also serve as a personification of Mutually Assured Destruction - not very deep but topical. Of course the concept is taken to the extreme with a pinch of thatsnothowradionworks to the point where its well beyond realistic. That's why I called them a caricature instead of fully believable themselves - but there is still a logic to their behavior within the world of Wasteland 2.
All Wasteland games have characters whose only purpose is to attack you, and even then, there are clowns you can meet that you can deal with without combat.

https://wasteland.fandom.com/wiki/Los_Payasos I don't see anything objectionable about this
Even the prestigious Codex darling Fountain of Dreams features killer clowns as a major faction: https://wasteland.fandom.com/wiki/Killer_Clowns

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Wasteland 3 is a fun ride that doesn't take itself too seriously. If that's a problem for you, that sucks. Personally though, I really enjoyed fighting mexican clown gangs and engaging with all the other crazies you run into.

I could have done without the magical bouncing toaster companion, though.

ReforgedSoul

Novice
I think the general "belivibility" of the setting is well done. There's nothing too outlandish that makes something feel out of place.

Yosharian

Arcane
Wasteland 3 is a fun ride that doesn't take itself too seriously. If that's a problem for you, that sucks. Personally though, I really enjoyed fighting mexican clown gangs and engaging with all the other crazies you run into.

I could have done without the magical bouncing toaster companion, though.
Yeah never take that cunt, almost impossible to get rid of it too

kangaxx

Arbiter
Thought I might give this a whirl... it's currently £10 for the game + DLC on Steam. Anything spoiler-free that I should know/do before I go in? Any mods?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Thought I might give this a whirl... it's currently £10 for the game + DLC on Steam. Anything spoiler-free that I should know/do before I go in? Any mods?
Don't take the toaster.
I like it. "Don't tale the toaster", this one could replace "Equip the ring" meme and rating. Unfortunately the game is not very popular so no chance for that.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Jotting down party comp notes for second playthrough.

Companions - Scotchmo and Fishlips will stick with you no matter what. Pizepi only requires Ranger opinion at Loyal by endgame, easy. Jodie only requires an easy diplo check from starting ranger, made near the end. All the others are unreliable/not worth making part of your main squad. The only companion with a quirk is Scotchmo with Way of the Squeezins, it's a good idea to plan to respec him to SMG guy.

6 party slot, 4 "classes". 2 classes will have duplicates, 2 will be one of.
SMG guy --------- best stats awareness, intelligence --------- background goat killer/explodomaniac --- quirk serial killer/way of the squeezins
Sniper ------------- best stats awareness, intelligence --------- background goat killer ---------------------- quirk varangian blood
Revolver guy ---- best stats strength, speed, luck ---------- background sex machine ------------------- quirk circus freak
Big guns guy ---- best stats strength, speed, awareness --- background disciple of the metal ---------- quirk circus freak

CHA guy is a sort of multiclass that can fit over any of the dupes. Rush for 10 CHA early, prioritize leadership perks and change background to paladin.

Animal whisperer - Anyone
Armor modding - Anyone
Survival - Anyone
Barter - Anyone

Hard ass - Starting ranger
Kiss ass - Starting ranger

Lockpicking - CHA guy
Leadership - CHA guy

First aid - Revolver guy
Nerd stuff - Revolver guy

Sneaky shit - SMG guy
Mechanics - SMG guy
Explosives - SMG guy

Toaster repair - Big guns guy

Weird science - Sniper

Weapon modding - Use bench warmer

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Don't take the toaster.
I like it. "Don't tale the toaster", this one could replace "Equip the ring" meme and rating. Unfortunately the game is not very popular so no chance for that.
I've never been able to figure out what that rating refers to

Modron

Arcane
I've never been able to figure out what that rating refers to
It's a pretty old codex meme might even have been in the first year of the dex. Someone was asking for help with some game in the most incredibly vague way possible and every follow up question for more clarity was met with less coherent elaboration until finally someone just told him to equip the ring. (this is actually important advice for one game)

NotSweeper

Educated
That reminds me of an audio log I came across somewhere in Wasteland 3 from right when the bombs dropped. Some guy was in couples counseling and both his partner and the therapist were ganging up on him and after a bit he just goes off saying he'd rather die in a nuclear holocaust than deal with any more of the counseling. Then they notice the bombs falling outside and the last thing you hear is the guy saying something like "Oh thank God!"

So in retrospect maybe the game is more realistic than I gave it credit for.
Fuck it, I'm pirating this.

NotSweeper

Educated
I don't even own WL2 yet, and I haven't been paying much attention at all to WL3, but the one press release I read was using the combat in Age of Decadence as a touchstone to say, "Our combat is going to be a lot more fun because it won't be like that too-hard, number-crunchy combat in AoD!"
Welp, I was gonna pirate it, but you've convinced me not to.
Ehhhh. There's nothing left to play. RPGs fucking suck. I should get a better hobby.

Beans00

Augur
Why play WL3 when it's literally a console version of WL2?

Wasteland 3 has better encounter design, better locations, better story. Better system for character skills(2 had way too much bloat). Wasteland 3 has better quality distribution. The first half of wasteland 2 is significantly worse then the 2nd half, which is odd. Wasteland 3 is pretty solid throughout with no major dips in quality(except the crappy dlc's).

Wasteland 3 has much better music/atmosphere(subjective).

I didn't get to listen to bangers like that while killing cannibals in Wasteland 2.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I quit Wasteland 3 after it became clear that I was being railroaded into accepting Sandy from Spongebob as a member of my exclusive team of no-nonsense wasteland killers and I'll never reinstall it as long as I live after that insult.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I got to the clown area, did a

:what:

and left the game.

WL3's style of mixing the absurd with serious just didn't jive with me. I did enjoy a lot of the game, but not enough to finish it.

Hagashager

Educated
The humor.

The overall humor is extremely hit-or-miss, mostly airing on miss. The worst are when they try to be cheeky about the US. I'm not a fan of Reagan, but I'm increasingly becoming annoyed at jokes that mock Reagan. It feels about as low-hanging as making fun of Trump. That Wasteland 3 has entire segments in its post-apocalyptic themed game that revolve around, "Fuck Reagan, Fuck the Republicans" is a microcosm of what is wrong with W3 writing. So much humor is boiler-plate, Colbert Report/Dailyshow level satire. Even Bethesda's utter shlock is **slightly** better than this.

ind33d

Educated
After Torment: Rides of NumaHomaMoma, WL3 is hopeless IMHO. Basically talentless hacks led by a charlatan are developing this game. At least they had the good sense to put their delivery date at Q4 2019 and give themselves three years of solid turd-polishing, not that it will help their likely financial woes.
Numa Numa is way better than Nu Wasteland. It's not even close

9ted6

Educated
The humor.

The overall humor is extremely hit-or-miss, mostly airing on miss. The worst are when they try to be cheeky about the US. I'm not a fan of Reagan, but I'm increasingly becoming annoyed at jokes that mock Reagan. It feels about as low-hanging as making fun of Trump. That Wasteland 3 has entire segments in its post-apocalyptic themed game that revolve around, "Fuck Reagan, Fuck the Republicans" is a microcosm of what is wrong with W3 writing. So much humor is boiler-plate, Colbert Report/Dailyshow level satire. Even Bethesda's utter shlock is **slightly** better than this.
Wasteland 2 was already getting bad about it but 3 went full woke. I don't like Reagan either but rather than just making fun of Reagan the game also sucks the generalized dick of communism in the meantime, along with its other reddit takes on everything from religion to gender.

Fallout had a similar trajectory. I don't remember anything in 1 being particularly woke or politically preachy, 2 went in on the "retard-icans am I right" thing then by 4 and 76 you have the games fully praising communism and attacking everything the writers and their twitter pals don't like.

"Thing I don't like Bad, Thing I do like Good" isn't funny but it's all people like W3's writers know as humor besides pop culture references.

Note, it's not like W3 would be that good anyway even with better writing. I haven't played it but I've read that it's way worse than 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom