Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Fargo never striked me as libcuck type.

Faarbaute

Arbiter

Thanks, but no thanks

- Unashamedly mocking the Reagan administration and the pro-freedom movements around it (Lyndon Johnson and Clinton were r*cist democrat pro-big-state-oppression as*holes who still get a free pass in mainstream to this day, for example);

- SJW useful innocent poor little things are giving this game their soy soaked thumbs up all around;

- The mainstream "critics" are being really, really lenient on the technical problems this game obviously has. They simply "love" it.

I've finished W2, F2, F3, F:NV. Unless someone here convinces me I should play this game, then it's out of my wishlist for good.
:hahyou:

GloomFrost

Arcane
That's fine like I said, all I'm arguing about here are the people saying it isn't woke or that no one thought it was until recently. I'm not saying anyone should hate the game if the woke shit doesn't bother them but that it is indeed there.
If Wasteland 3 is woke, then so are Wasteland 2, Fallout 2, Fallout, Wasteland.
Also BG 3 has changed the definition of "woke game". Nothing, even the latest bioware games don't seam to be too woke after playing BG 3.

Barbarian

Arcane
I got to the clown area, did a

:what:

and left the game.

WL3's style of mixing the absurd with serious just didn't jive with me. I did enjoy a lot of the game, but not enough to finish it.

That has been a hallmark of the series since the first game. I don't think it is valid to complain that they remain loyal to the IP. Obviously 80's style nuns with uzis, post-apoc mafiosi and green-skinned mutants with laser guns might not be your idea of cool and funny.

Anyway, I actually had a lot of fun with this. Good tb combat, serious C&C, nice builds and itemization, some fun companions(Scotchmo). Some great concepts too. I love that the car in the end is actually a companion(possibly Ronald Reagan's personal chauffer AI who hates communists to boot).

The only thing I lament is that both dlcs were utter shite.

Barbarian

Arcane
It's funny that people try to have a serious discussion about writing in a game where you can fuck a goat to get a buff, throw snowballs of frozen piss at enemies, and do all other kinds of wacky shit. Although you CAN have a serious discussion, but then you'd have to play the game, which is not something Codexers do. Everyone seems to focus on Reagan, instead of discussing Saul Buchanan. You don't need 200 IQ to figure out he's the only character with a plan and moral integrity to keep the society going. Despite what the trailers might have suggested, he's the one who cares about the Republic. Angela Deth is a naive and frankly stupid character who doesn't have a plan, her whole motivation is "patriarcy bad." If any of you bothered to play the game and focused on the main story, and took all the silly jokes for what they are: silly jokes, you'd have realized that the game is not as woke as you think. It's not woke at all. For example, if you choose to eliminate the Gippers, it's clear that the Wasteland is doomed, because they are the only ones with fuel. Therefore, you have to think about the well-being of the people.

It's not as black and white as Codex makes it out to be, and neither is the writing as shallow as you all make it seem (despite all the silly humor). If the game were like that, it would have given you hints that Deth's plan is the one to go for. But it's actually the opposite. As for the humor, I'd take this style of humor over Larian's any day of the week.

Best ending is actually not siding with Buchanan.

Rather getting his followers on your side, deposing him and taking authority over Nevada for the rangers. But is usually not the ending people get first when playing this blind and requires several specific choices

Deth's plan is retarded but the game makes it so that you only really get a whiff of it once you go along with some of the more retarded actions she wants to take:

As in breaking a genocidal warlord from jail

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Additionally, if you want to take over Colorado yourself in a bloodless coup, appeasing the Reaganites is the only way to do it unless you have the awful DLC no one likes. They provide the oil, the commie robots can't/won't do it.
The peaceful takeover option requires that the Gippers still be producing and delivering oil, but it's a viable option to blackmail the Gippers after transferring Max Headroom into the computer system at your local Ranger headquarters. +M

9ted6

Educated
Fargo never striked me as libcuck type.
Read it and weep https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=brian+fargo

Fargo's just a Trump-esque guy who didn't switch parties.
Are you saying the game's libcucked but not woke? Is there a difference?
That's fine like I said, all I'm arguing about here are the people saying it isn't woke or that no one thought it was until recently. I'm not saying anyone should hate the game if the woke shit doesn't bother them but that it is indeed there.
If Wasteland 3 is woke, then so are Wasteland 2, Fallout 2, Fallout, Wasteland.
Also BG 3 has changed the definition of "woke game". Nothing, even the latest bioware games don't seam to be too woke after playing BG 3.
Fair, but woke's still woke. Being flamboyantly gay and reservedly gay are still both being gay.

NotSweeper

Educated
I take back what I said.
I just spent the last 2 hours pouring over the wiki trying to come up with a perfect squad. The character building is vastly improved, respecs and attribute points out your ass notwithstanding.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The only thing that you could really construe as woke is the whole synths rights crap, even though its been established that synths are always bad because of Cochise. That's probably more them trying to mix up the formula though.

There's also the Patriarch being an obvious incompetent tyrant, but that's not really woke because Angela Deth is an outright cretin and you have the choice to just ignore her and do it your way. In a true woke game she'd be always right and you have to work with her for the best ending and everything will clap and sing Kumbaya at the end.

9ted6

Educated
The only thing that you could really construe as woke is the whole synths rights crap, even though its been established that synths are always bad because of Cochise. That's probably more them trying to mix up the formula though.

There's also the Patriarch being an obvious incompetent tyrant, but that's not really woke because Angela Deth is an outright cretin and you have the choice to just ignore her and do it your way. In a true woke game she'd be always right and you have to work with her for the best ending and everything will clap and sing Kumbaya at the end.
FNV has woke themes yet you can side with Caesar and House. I don't think wokeness is subtle but it also doesn't have to be as blatant as some people are saying here. Woke writing often goes the way of letting you ignore what it's saying but never directly disagree.

It's also weird to me to say that just because the game takes west coast liberal stances on politics and religion doesn't mean it's woke, when those stances and wokeness are increasingly intertwined. Sure not every liberal's woke, but every woke person's liberal and it's not a huge stretch to say that the game's commentary on the Patriarch and his refugee policy is woke rather than just a generic liberal talking point.

Defining woke as exclusively based around identity politics is too restrictive in my opinion.

Last edited:

NotSweeper

Educated
Is there an alternative to Hope Emerson for the jailer? She's such a self-insert for whichever cunt wrote her I can't decide if she's hilariously badly written or if it's just kinda sad. Bit of both?

0wca

Learned
Is there an alternative to Hope Emerson for the jailer? She's such a self-insert for whichever cunt wrote her I can't decide if she's hilariously badly written or if it's just kinda sad. Bit of both?
No, she's the only jailer unfortunately.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You guys are morons.

You call anything that involves minorities, women and otherwise being in triumphant positions, actions or stories, as woke, which is dumb as fuck.

Women and some minorities have been a part of entertainment media for decades without any problem.

The problem has always been bad storytelling, and bad characterization, and overall just unbelieveable stories thereof.

Writing believeable, coherent, real and strong female or any minority character is perfectly fine in ANY medium, as long as it fits the story and the environment without being hamfisted into it or forced.

I can name plenty of great films, games etc. that involves "woke" characters from the 70s and 80s, which were perfectly fine, because people knew how to write good story with good characters back then.
There's still good stuff out there, its just far in between.

Wasteland 3 was a fine game.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
The writers didn't even have enough confidence in the characters they were paid to create to allow the player to deny the wacko reddit cowgirl entry into the party. That's the only example I have obviously, because that's as far as I got but I can't even imagine a recovery from that moment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The writers didn't even have enough confidence in the characters they were paid to create to allow the player to deny the wacko reddit cowgirl entry into the party. That's the only example I have obviously, because that's as far as I got but I can't even imagine a recovery from that moment.
She's a rich girl, you gotta let her in. You don't have to use her at all beyond that point though.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
She's a rich girl, you gotta let her in. You don't have to use her at all beyond that point though.
Yes, I've heard it all before but why force the character into my party in the first place if I can immediately discard it? Hoping it'll grow on me if I'm shackled to it for long enough and I'll have a change of heart?? Bah! There's nothing quite as loathsome as a game designer attempting to use salesman-esque manipulations on innocent gamers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, I've heard it all before but why force the character into my party in the first place if I can immediately discard it? Hoping it'll grow on me if I'm shackled to it for long enough and I'll have a change of heart?? Bah! There's nothing quite as loathsome as a game designer attempting to use salesman-esque manipulations on innocent gamers.
Once you leave the Garden of the Gods, Wesson asks for your help and gives you the choice to keep her as a companion or not.
Game-design-wise, it just made scripting for that one section easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom