Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch Dogs: Legion - wacky adventures in dystopian London

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I was thinking in ways to improve the game since I like it's premise so much. If they made the spiderdrone exclusive to drone experts, the AR cloak exclusice to spies, camera jumping and cell distractions exclusive to hackers, etc. it would make team member selection actually relevant. As right now you can use the spiderdrone for 99% missions making the very idea of a multi skilled team moot.

But of course, this would make the game harder for the average casual that's Ubi target market.

And people would complain about being "forced" to recruit other operatives.

Of course, you could say why not have the main character be able to acquire those abilities gradually. Which would likely make it similar to previous games in the series.

Which in itself is not a bad idea, but then essentially you are just doing something similar to all other action-adventure/GTA clones that came before it.

Which for many people is preferable, going with what they know and are familiar with. Then again, it is also why we are seeing more and more older classic games being remastered/remade and no new IPs or risks being made.

Quite the dilemma...

Last edited:

ind33d

Educated
Iconic hat man will save Legion in a couple months.
image-25_feature.jpg
I'm playing Bloodline now and it no-shit feels like I'm playing MGS1 for the first time again. I just ran the Phantom mission with my CS 1.6 AK/Magnum loadout, flew out of the mission site on a cargo drone, got shot down by the police, and crash landed in a canal before resurfacing to buy a new watch.

Shit, thanks to the autodrive feature, I'm making this post while playing the game right now

Anyone who liked the Daniel Craig Bond films should buy this ASAP

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I was thinking in ways to improve the game since I like it's premise so much. If they made the spiderdrone exclusive to drone experts, the AR cloak exclusice to spies, camera jumping and cell distractions exclusive to hackers, etc. it would make team member selection actually relevant. As right now you can use the spiderdrone for 99% missions making the very idea of a multi skilled team moot.

But of course, this would make the game harder for the average casual that's Ubi target market.

Since this was already necroed: The real solution to making the "recruit anyone, lead a gang" system have meaning is to have options to send your gang members to do jobs "off screen" like Peace Walker's portable ops system.Certainly not Peace Walker's grindy levels of Mk3274 improved versions of gear as rewards, but still plenty of options to make it feel like it has meaning.

orcinator

Liturgist
Did people manage to find attractive female NPCs yet?
I had to investigate this myself and turns out they released a asian goth girl and a sexy catsuit outfit as DLC, plus a cheat engine thing that lets you edit characters so you don't need to drive through L*ndon for hours looking for the handful of decent faces.

Of course I wouldn't recommend this to anyone without a terminal girls with guns fetish since it's about as boring as a AAA open world game can get.

Since this was already necroed: The real solution to making the "recruit anyone, lead a gang" system have meaning is to have options to send your gang members to do jobs "off screen" like Peace Walker's portable ops system.Certainly not Peace Walker's grindy levels of Mk3274 improved versions of gear as rewards, but still plenty of options to make it feel like it has meaning.
The real answer is to not have a game that plays like a by the numbers TPS with UbiSTEALTH.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Iconic hat man will save Legion in a couple months.
image-25_feature.jpg
I'm playing Bloodline now and it no-shit feels like I'm playing MGS1 for the first time again. I just ran the Phantom mission with my CS 1.6 AK/Magnum loadout, flew out of the mission site on a cargo drone, got shot down by the police, and crash landed in a canal before resurfacing to buy a new watch.

Shit, thanks to the autodrive feature, I'm making this post while playing the game right now

Anyone who liked the Daniel Craig Bond films should buy this ASAP
The Bloodlines DLC should've been the main campaign.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

The "recruit anyone" mechanic makes more sense in multiplayer portion of the game rather than the single-player campaign.

ind33d

Educated
Bloodline does have a lot of cutscenes, but the writing is actually good. Meta-jokes about Aiden being a serial killer and dumb shit like that. The fact they gave Pearce a character arc from WD1 is pretty impressive.

I beat WD1 nonlethally, but the higher stakes in Bloodline forced me to go loud to save Jax. Felt like when I was playing Deus Ex 1 with the police baton but had to use guns to try to save Paul.

Legion does have problems, but I've never seen anyone actually talk about them. If you finish half of a mission's objectives, get into a police chase, and escape, then drive back, all your progress in that mission will reset. It's like there's no object permanence, literal Pajeet coding. Even fucking 2077 doesn't do that

The actual gameplay is good, though.

Last edited:

ind33d

Educated
Just beat Bloodline. The character development and horror elements are great. But if you don't do the side content, you can soft-lock your game at the final boss fight, which is hilarious. On hard it's on par with a solo Destiny Nightfall. I was lucky I had the grenade launcher and Betray hacks. If you don't, you're shit out of luck.

Windowed mode is busted, dialogue cut out a few times, and they never had a mission where you switch between multiple operatives at once. Still, as a DLC it's better than Far Cry: Blood Dragon

Latelistener

Arcane
I like the idea of the game to the point I could probably close my eyes on any of its shortcomings. It's some kind of perverse collectathon.

However, if people expected Watch Dogs 3, this feels like an experimental AA project. I was going to say they were tight on budget, but apparently they've spend $100+ million CAD on it.

It's probably 3 times less than what they usually spend on AC games, but still doesn't explain why you can't even enter shops / clubs / bars and why metro system is basically nonexistent.

Another thing that's bothering me is swearing. When you go on the streets all you hear is "bitch shit fuck suck bollocks". What's the deal with that? Not that I know much about London IRL, but that seems out of place.

911 Jumper

Educated
Another thing that's bothering me is swearing. When you go on the streets all you hear is "bitch shit fuck suck bollocks". What's the deal with that? Not that I know much about London IRL, but that seems out of place.
It's accurate, actually. A lot of modern Brits across all social classes are increasingly comfortable with using vulgar language – it's a way of showing how “liberated” they've become, you see. The word “cunt” is frequently used here, too, but I can see why Ubisoft may have left that one out.
The ease at which Brits resort to bad language is one of the main reasons I prefer to avoid online communities with an overwhelmingly Brit-based population (I say this as someone living in England).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom