Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch Dogs: Legion - wacky adventures in dystopian London

ADL

Prophet
In typical Ubisoft fashion I'm guessing the post-launch support will improve Legion substantially. Valhalla is much, much better. Reminds me, I gotta check out the Yule Festival update in that.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Finished the main story today.

I really started to enjoy the game once I mostly abandoned using the spiderbot and went into missions on foot. You feel pretty badass gunkata-ing every motherfucker that gets in your way. (I would probably have felt even more badass if my hitman character wasn't a middle-aged black woman with the voice of an 70-year old English grandmother.)

Combat definitely gets more difficult when higher tier enemies start to appear and they throw hordes of the toughest combat drones at you. But those missions are mostly difficult because you're getting attacked from all sides since you have to guard some completely indefensible spot while waiting for a hack to complete. Unlocking the tech that lets you commandeer enemy drones felt pretty essential for getting past these missions.

The main story missions are mostly not that good. Too many "defend the position" and "monotonous drone hacking" missions. I will say that the Skye Larson arc was pretty good--

exploring her secret lab was possibly the highpoint of all of the story missions.

The driving mechanics are pretty atrocious. Even the sports cars drive like they're shod with summer tires and are trying to traverse an ice rink. Luckily, there's really no reason to drive except for the few story missions that force you to do so.

The gunplay is basic, but enjoyable. I just wish there was at least one gun which came with a scope.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed my time with the game. I will say, though, that this is possibly the buggiest AAA console game I've ever played (I'm playing it on my Xbox Series X). It's crashed close to a dozen times on me, once right at the end of a particularly difficult mission (I was not pleased). And I think it's already received at least one patch! They must have noticed this in testing, which implies that they shoved it out the door anyway. Kind of ironic considering one the main themes of the game is how corporations are greedy bastards that are out to screw you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Overall, I definitely enjoyed my time with the game. I will say, though, that this is possibly the buggiest AAA console game I've ever played (I'm playing it on my Xbox Series X). It's crashed close to a dozen times on me, once right at the end of a particularly difficult mission (I was not pleased). And I think it's already received at least one patch! They must have noticed this in testing, which implies that they shoved it out the door anyway. Kind of ironic considering one the main themes of the game is how corporations are greedy bastards that are out to screw you.

Lot of that going around.

Silva

Arcane
On sale now for PS4 and I'm considering getting it. Is the game better now than on launch?

I see there was an update early May that added a ton of stuff and there's a DLC coming up or something.

Ebonsword

Arcane
On sale now for PS4 and I'm considering getting it. Is the game better now than on launch?

I see there was an update early May that added a ton of stuff and there's a DLC coming up or something.

There's a 60 fps patch coming out soon, but I think that may be only for next-gen consoles. I'm waiting for that before returning to the game.

If it's less than $20, I'd say it's worth it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It improved and more to come, but it still looks really buggy, people falling through the world and crashes to desktop and stuff. I wouldn't pay them because of that. Games are so buggy because people keep buying them. Also some reviews say they still prefer the first game, which to me is really shameful for a game.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
It improved and more to come, but it still looks really buggy, people falling through the world and crashes to desktop and stuff. I wouldn't pay them because of that. Games are so buggy because people keep buying them. Also some reviews say they still prefer the first game, which to me is really shameful for a game.

I've only played a little of bit of the Watchdogs 2, but Legion definitely feels different due to the "recruit anyone" mechanic. Whether one will like it or not will depend on if you enjoy that particular gameplay hook or not. I did so I enjoyed it.

Haven't had too many gamebreaking issues regarding single-player, although multi-player can be buggy at times.

Silva

Arcane
I'm between Legion and CP77. I'm inclined to go with Legion because of the "play anyone" mechanic .

(and because I'm a Shadowrun fan and want CP77 to die in a fireball :argh:)

Silva

Arcane
Oh man, if regret killed I would be killed right now.
:negative:

What a shitty game, even for 20 bucks. It's more of a alpha or a proof of concept than a game, with a central gimmick that's clearly underdeveloped and insufficient to carry the game.

I refuse to believe the man who gave us Chaos Theory conceived this shit. The only possibility I see is if he did developed the concept through but budget or company suits cut it out.

Things the game obviously needed:

- Unique protags: even with no central character, it would have benefitted from a bunch of Jagged Alliance-like curated chars with distinct personalities, voices, quirks, rivalries, etc.

- More team mechanics inside missions: things like in-mission support where you allocate another team member to help you from inside the objective site (snipers could pick enemies from rooftops, uniformed moles could distract guards, hackers could give real time surveillance/Intel, drivers could exfiltrate you, etc)

- Team mechanics outside of missions: there is already part of this, with lawyers speeding up jail time, for eg, but it should be expanded and made mode relevant, instead of the unimportant gimmicks they feel like now.

- More important: they needed more open-ended mission structures, and a more expansive pool of skills to tack on it in relevant ways. Right now your agents specialties feel too much like gimmicks. The hacker can download faster or open doors from increased ranges, but everybody else can do that only too taking longer so... meh. Same for the hitman or any other "class". They dont really allow you to execute missions in different ways, only faster or easier, etc, which ends up making missions feel repetitive as fuck.

Tl;Dr: game is conceptually incomplete. It's got a central vision that looks good and has potential, but they didn't really implemented it and are selling a proof of concept instead with the depth of a mobile game.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hope you can get your money back! I had some fun with WD1/2 but these buggy unfinished games nowadays... they're pushing it to new levels of ridiculous. :argh:It bothers me because I KNOW that all these open world games games would be 100 times better if they ended up competing with each other more directly. Imagine a situation where there is going to be a GTA6, Watch Dogs 4, Saints Row 5, etc. They would HAVE to compete... Maybe then I might finally get a GTA without tow truck missions.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
No way, WD2 was good. Far better and more innovative than GTA 4 and 5 put together. Legion not so much.

Silva

Arcane
No way, WD2 was good. Far better and more innovative than GTA 4 and 5 put together. Legion not so much.
Agreed. WD2 was much better realized than this. The cast of characters was charismatic, San Fran map was huge and vibrant, and the hacking abilities expansive (I loved calling cops on the gangs and seeing the chaos that ensued). The game had a light-hearted vibe and didnt take itself too seriously and... it worked. It's not perfect but worked.

Legion simply misses all that. The London map feels small and unremarkable, the cast is meh (Sabine is awful), game presentation is dry, etc.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh man, if regret killed I would be killed right now.
:negative:

What a shitty game, even for 20 bucks. It's more of a alpha or a proof of concept than a game, with a central gimmick that's clearly underdeveloped and insufficient to carry the game.

I refuse to believe the man who gave us Chaos Theory conceived this shit. The only possibility I see is if he did developed the concept through but budget or company suits cut it out.

Things the game obviously needed:

- Unique protags: even with no central character, it would have benefitted from a bunch of Jagged Alliance-like curated chars with distinct personalities, voices, quirks, rivalries, etc.

- More team mechanics inside missions: things like in-mission support where you allocate another team member to help you from inside the objective site (snipers could pick enemies from rooftops, uniformed moles could distract guards, hackers could give real time surveillance/Intel, drivers could exfiltrate you, etc)

- Team mechanics outside of missions: there is already part of this, with lawyers speeding up jail time, for eg, but it should be expanded and made mode relevant, instead of the unimportant gimmicks they feel like now.

- More important: they needed more open-ended mission structures, and a more expansive pool of skills to tack on it in relevant ways. Right now your agents specialties feel too much like gimmicks. The hacker can download faster or open doors from increased ranges, but everybody else can do that only too taking longer so... meh. Same for the hitman or any other "class". They dont really allow you to execute missions in different ways, only faster or easier, etc, which ends up making missions feel repetitive as fuck.

Tl;Dr: game is conceptually incomplete. It's got a central vision that looks good and has potential, but they didn't really implemented it and are selling a proof of concept instead with the depth of a mobile game.

Like I thought in pre-release, the system needed an outer-ops (from MGS Peace Walker) style minigame to make inactive agents actually do something.

Silva

Arcane
Like I thought in pre-release, the system needed an outer-ops (from MGS Peace Walker) style minigame to make inactive agents actually do something.
Yep. There are already passive abilities that do something like that (lawyers reduce team jail time, medics reduce injury time, etc) but right now it feels gimmicky and inconsequential, like everything else in the game. They should have a formal mechanic, with it's own UI, where you alocate agents with discrete skills and effects to help the active player, like Peace Walker or Phantom Pain did.

I don't believe Ubi will change the game radically, but what I think is doable and could give this corpse some spark of life, is implementing operatives fucking PROGRESSION. Just like they showed in that 2019 clip , if operatives could unlock new skills progressively, and those skills had levels on their own (say, Fast Hack 1 speeds up downloads in 30%, Lv 2 in 60%, etc), it would at least make you invested in your teammates. I don't understand why they cut it out of the game. And If they add to it a stable of unique operatives that you can recruit alá Jagged Alliance 2 to complement the generic ones, then investment in your team may still save this game (since nothing else in it make you invested, nor the setting, nor the story, nor the missions, etc).

Ultimately though, I think the central gameplay loop of "infiltrate, takedown, do hack puzzle" is too simplistic to enable the kind of open-ended/multi-approach experience they envisioned.

ADL

Prophet
Iconic hat man will save Legion in a couple months.
image-25_feature.jpg

Silva

Arcane
I was thinking in ways to improve the game since I like it's premise so much. If they made the spiderdrone exclusive to drone experts, the AR cloak exclusice to spies, camera jumping and cell distractions exclusive to hackers, etc. it would make team member selection actually relevant. As right now you can use the spiderdrone for 99% missions making the very idea of a multi skilled team moot.

But of course, this would make the game harder for the average casual that's Ubi target market.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom