Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch Dogs: Legion - wacky adventures in dystopian London

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Yeah, go play AC Valhalla and then come here to tell us how it's the best immersive sim to date and how Ubisoft put to shame anything LGS made. Waiting because I know it's coming.
And we made up our minds based on what Ubisoft put over the past 5 or so years. Pure and utter shit. Generic to the bone. Copied and pasted until there's no discernible difference between their IPs anymore. Except different time periods and camera POV.
And here you are telling us that this game, somehow, is different. As if suddenly, Ubisoft doesn't like money anymore and started making actually good games. Yeah, go preach somewhere else.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
That ending.
"hey everything you did was a complete waste of time because nothing changed fuck you thanks for paying full price you morons see you next year to do it all again"
Ubisoft never changes. This is why you watch streamers play it. Its definitely a bad story and its clear they had no idea how to end it so they just didn't.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nvm. My fault for trying to convince you wankers when you have already made up your minds with your presumptions. And "Worth a buy" just fckn lol, the dude who called MGSV a rubbish game.

There really was no point. You guys are just here to circle jerk with your mutual Ubisoft hate.
Ahhhhhh MGSV is a shite game lol,go get foked ya cunt!

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
In a lot of ways this game is similar to Far Cry 2
Getting chased by Africans in jeeps forever and having even the reliable AK models jam constantly? Even back then it was the same thing. Open world collect-a-thon and the same three missions repeated ad infinitum. The gimmick in that game was that fire spread, now you get the Omikron deal and it has no depth or big impact on the game, underneath it is the same old tired Ubisoft garbage as always.
Mack's reviewed it on WAB and says after 2 hours you've seen everything and it gets mind numbingly boring. I wouldn't automatically believe any reviewer, but as this is pretty much my experience with every Ubisoft game ever I do tend to believe him on this. Also says there's little point in switching operatives as everyone can do every mission one way or another, which is a complaint I've seen in other reviews.

Generic Ubisoft game with a useless gimmick, no thanks.

Typical Ubisoft fare, a couple of hours stretched out into the hundreds and with some attempt at pulling you in that doesn't make a difference in the end. Assassin's Creed but with pirates! But in ancient Greece! In revolutionary Paris! Farcry but in the stone age! As an old b-film! In this or that place! With this gimmick that doesn't manage to switch up the blandness at all. You got the simplistic Batman combat, the cover shooting, things to collect, and the Watchdogs flavor of the busywork that you keep being handed. You got the wide and shallow sandbox open world with nothing in it, just more pointless busywork repeated forever.

Tehdagah

Arcane
qCE5V5N.png

irgqL0r.png

Really+makes+you+think_8c3a5f_6470408.gif
Wtf I like reviews now

User was nabbed fit

Playing the game now, and there's tons of SJW shit thrown in. Sometimes subtle, sometimes less. There are missions which involve freeing "Undocumented migrants", like that's a good thing and they're victims (totally not of their own doing). Because fuck borders and shit, I guess. Lots of stuff in that vein when it comes to the politics of it all.

The characters either speak like posh twats or ghetto coons. Nothing in between. The game really seems to fetishize the 'urban' nig lifestyle because that's what's cool these days, amirite fellow kids? Though that was obvious after they got Stormzy involved. When you give kids the choice between old age pensioners and Kangz, I'm sure the producers think they'll identify more with the latter.

One of the prime themes of the game could be summarised as, "Reject tradition, embrace progressiveness".

Aside from that, the gameplay is decent (cars drive like shit though), but it's hard to look past all that when it's there in spades. It's also very repetitive as people have said.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Aside from that, the gameplay is decent (cars drive like shit though), but it's hard to look past all that when it's there in spades. It's also very repetitive as people have said.
Do they do anything at all with the main gimmick? Way back during y2k Shiny had already figured out that the way you make playing as multiple characters interesting is to differentiate between them in gameplay. Messiah was an action puzzle platformer where you played as a cherub that solved problems by possessing humans. They had different weapons and other things like that, but one of the big things was that they had different access. To get into barracks you might have to possess a solider, to do something else you had to jump into an officer, to do tech stuff you had to find a mechanic. Does Watch Dawgs Legiun have any of that? Or are the completely interchangeable besides those perk things?
Because fuck borders and shit, I guess.
Fight the man by opening up labor pools for him! It's funny to see a game about fighting power by the same people that want you arrested and put into a concentration camp for making a twitter or facebook post, also that this is coming from a megacorp. Honk, honk, motherfucker.

User was nabbed fit

Do they do anything at all with the main gimmick? Way back during y2k Shiny had already figured out that the way you make playing as multiple characters interesting is to differentiate between them in gameplay. Messiah was an action puzzle platformer where you played as a cherub that solved problems by possessing humans. They had different weapons and other things like that, but one of the big things was that they had different access. To get into barracks you might have to possess a solider, to do something else you had to jump into an officer, to do tech stuff you had to find a mechanic. Does Watch Dawgs Legiun have any of that? Or are the completely interchangeable besides those perk things?

There's been literally one mission so far where a specific character was needed due to their perk. 90% of them can probably be done with any character though, just in a different way. So it's really not as refined as, say, Messiah, unfortunately.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Playing the game now, and there's tons of SJW shit thrown in. Sometimes subtle, sometimes less. There are missions which involve freeing "Undocumented migrants", like that's a good thing and they're victims (totally not of their own doing). Because fuck borders and shit, I guess. Lots of stuff in that vein when it comes to the politics of it all.

You've got to love it. French developer makes a game about a post-Brexit dystopia in my hometown where poor "undocumented migrants" need to be freed from the evil British state.

Meanwhile in real-world France: female pensioners are beheaded in churches in the name of Islam.

:imokay:

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Meanwhile in real-world France: female pensioners are beheaded in churches in the name of Islam.
Those were apolitical™ beheadings and the cause and motivations behind them is a complete mystery, just like how this game is about an apolitical™ revolution against apolitical™ *nglo fascists by a diverse© crew of apolitical™ antifa® hackers. The British government kidnapping africans and asians to London to oppress them and keep them in camps is not a political statement at all, are you some political nut or something? Stop seeing politics everywhere, bruh. Burn Loot and Murder is not a political organization either, it's just common sense and a completely organic grass roots apolitical™ protest movement.

Fuck, I want another Deus Ex and not one of the shit tier French-Canadian ones either but a real sequel to the first game. Heck, give me a virtual version of Illuminati the card game and I will be happy. If you're going to make your game political then at least make it fun and also be very cynical about everything. At least with the Farcry games Ubisoft tried to make everyone an asshole.

9L6Ct9T.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I pretty much never play stuff at release that isn't a first-person RPG, but this one is kinda tempting. Something about the cyberpunk-esque setting and stealth gameplay has me pretty hyped despite never playing the first two. Would really rather play it with a new GPU though... hmmm.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I pretty much never play stuff at release that isn't a first-person RPG, but this one is kinda tempting. Something about the cyberpunk-esque setting and stealth gameplay has me pretty hyped despite never playing the first two. Would really rather play it with a new GPU though... hmmm.

On the face of it I agree, but I can't shake the feeling that this game will be an abject waste of money at any price.

lightbane

Arcane
That ending.

Sounds like they accidentally shot themselves on the foot, as that would contradict their message and the whole "fight against the man!!! (TM)" thing, but then again this is not new. It seems to keep happening that SJW works often accomplish the opposite of their intended effect.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

That's probably why you're hyped. Ubisoft are doomed to create fantastic worlds and fill them with boring shit. Fucking hell, I can't imagine the level of buyer's remorse you'll experience buying a new top whack graphics card to play the latest Ubisoft copy and paste.

I hate negative buttons because of how bullshit passive-aggressive they are, but I have never seen a post more deserving of the 'sheeple' tag.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's probably why you're hyped. Ubisoft are doomed to create fantastic worlds and fill them with boring shit. Fucking hell, I can't imagine the level of buyer's remorse you'll experience buying a new top whack graphics card to play the latest Ubisoft copy and paste.

I'm not buying a new GPU for fucking Watch Dogs 3 dude, I'm saying it would make sense to delay trying it until after I get one for other reasons. Considering I haven't played Watch Dogs, which came out 6 years ago, I don't think I'm bending over much for Ubisoft without reason. This game looks more interesting.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, go play AC Valhalla and then come here to tell us how it's the best immersive sim to date and how Ubisoft put to shame anything LGS made. Waiting because I know it's coming.
And we made up our minds based on what Ubisoft put over the past 5 or so years. Pure and utter shit. Generic to the bone. Copied and pasted until there's no discernible difference between their IPs anymore. Except different time periods and camera POV.
And here you are telling us that this game, somehow, is different. As if suddenly, Ubisoft doesn't like money anymore and started making actually good games. Yeah, go preach somewhere else.
Have some sympathy for the poor guy, chances are it's his first ubisoft game :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ubisoft just set a new record for retardation, outdoing even themselves.

In the first minute of this video, the narrator says London is a twelve-thousand-years-old city. That is twelve thousand. Not hundred. How many millions of dollars budget is needed for writers who can differentiate between thousands and hundreds? Apparently not enough for Ubisoft.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ubisoft just set a new record for retardation, outdoing even themselves.

In the first minute of this video, the narrator says London is a twelve-thousand-years-old city. That is twelve thousand. Not hundred. How many millions of dollars budget is needed for writers who can differentiate between thousands and hundreds? Apparently not enough for Ubisoft.

Now we know the birth place of the glorious creator!
8c26d21a47d7d791bcee520487ba4bdf.jpg

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, so I posted some glowing impressions earlier in the thread. Don't really want to pour fuel into the fire, but honestly after finishing the game in 25 hours mark, it ended up being... disappointing :(

- For a game that promotes creating your own solution, there's really no incentive to get creative. In WD2 I felt like a fucking tech haxx0r magician when I infiltrated the Google parody HQ with a jumper car, installed a backdoor and got out without setting my foot in it. This game doesn't really any mission on that level of scale. Mission areas are tiny and repetitive with a handful of guards, drones and turret. I tried playing around with the spiderbot at first, but since the AI is piss easy and the level design is too linear even by Ubisoft's standard, I just dumped it, put cloak on my spy and played like a bog standard stealth game.

- Another reason for this is there's no reason to play any character that is not a spy, hitman, soldier, guard or drone expert. A hobo with a Vector .45 is hilarious, but when it comes to practical play, I'd prefer my spy because she has quicker takedown animation and AoE gun jam. I found a lot of fun archetypes, like the protestor with speaker who can attracts NPCs to attack a target, but they remain just that, a gimmick. I told my friend about characters like that, we had a chuckle, I never used them again. Why? Because in no circumstance I feel like their niche skillset is needed. Enemies don't give me a lot of challenges to think outisde of the box, mission design is straightforward and banal I can just play like how I did in WD1. If the missions are too boring and I'd prefer using effective characters to get through them quickly, that speaks more about my lack of creativity, or the game itself?

- Your characters DON'T GROW, which is my biggest issue regarding the game. In nuXCOM your characters all go through a zero to hero journey, start out as rookies, then through battles, with each lucky shots, each wounds, each exit in time, they forged their own story. In Legion, my characters stay the same throughout the game, your accountant whose only trait is getting more money from hacking ATM is still that accountant by the end of the game, so I never felt anything about her importance to the group's journey. She died in a random ass carjack mission, I felt nothing, I picked an Albion guard, finished the mission, moved on. It's insane because I really really hate how Ubisoft does unnecessary progression in their recent games, but in this one particular game where it makes sense to do so, they didn't. Imagine a behaviour-trait system, you drive well, don't hit pedestrians, escape police sucessfully and your dude becomes a getaway driver with new driving skills or car hacks. Imagine your gal parkour a lot so they run faster, they mantle over objects faster and can move from cover to cover with one button. Imagine if your 80 years old lady can't shoot gun accurately because she's old and her hands shake, but you take her to combat a lot, she gets good at it and now she can snipe fuckers with a deagle. With how the system works atm, I never felt like I was looking for people, I was looking for weapons, and that's awfully limiting in a game with such diverse archetypes.

- Another rant on mission design, it's insane how in a game that's all about building a team, there's not a single mission where you assign people in different roles to take on an infiltration. You can't send a mole Albion guard so they would open locked gates for you instead of looking for the gate code by yourself, you can't send a gunner waiting outside and ready to fire if you escape with enemies chasing you, you can't send the protestor to create attention at the main gate and sneak in when guards are distracted. Fucking. Missed. Opportunity.

- Game has 5 villains. The human trafficker lady's story lasts 3 missions. One of the bossfights is one where you crouch walk around an area, solve a hacknet link puzzle 3 times to expose the boss' weakpoints and shoot them (wow very in-line with the hacker theme guys). One storyline ends with you deciding between two choices with literally zero consequence aside from bickering from a side character (who immediately act like normal after 2 or 3 dialogue lines). One villain literally came out of nowhere, no foreshadow, vague intention. The last one is pure forgettable. I like Bagley, he feels like a Stephen Merchant mimic at times but he has charm, but little guy can't carry the entire game.

- Cryptocurrency can be gained by a lot of methods, yet for some reasons the only thing you can spend it on is clothing?

- The technical side is incredibly dodgy too. Female character spawned in too quickly, her voice module couldn't catch up so the first line she said sounds like a man. I also have a 60 years old man with a teenager voice, a middle aged woman that says "fuck yeah", a police officer who said "wink wink" out loud. And you guys probably know how ugly the NPCs are, faces also repeat a lot.

I lowkey adore Watch Dogs 2, yes I liked the characters, the tone, the atmosphere, the unsubtle disses against corporations and consumerism, the ironic "how do you do fellow kids" attitude was fun to follow, San Fran is magnificently crafted, all those hacking functions and systemic gameplay were surprisingly engaging, and the whole over the top HACK THE WORLD thing was incredibly executed. WD Legion is experimental and I still believe it has soul, unfortunately that soul is heavily fragmented and unfocused. Inconsequential mayhem remains shallow, permadeath can't change that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom