Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Watch Dogs: Legion - wacky adventures in dystopian London

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow that sounds pretty good.

Silva

Arcane
Something cool I've read on Reddit...

So, I just have a lot of skepticism with the game still. Now that streamers and youtubers are getting the early access, I am able to see what I consider the telling parts of the game, like the upgrades. They dictate HOW the player can interact with the world, it doesn't matter if you can "reCruiTe AnYone", because outside of appearances, it will all come down to WHAT they can actually do.

The upgrades seemed very uninspired, like, "you can disable this drone now" and the upgraded being "you can hack it now". With one drone type being a separate upgrade. One of the coolest "hacks" in the series was in WD2 when you could call the cops on someone, or send a hit squad from some random gang. It added a level of unpredictable chaos that fit the whole hacker mindset very well, and was also entertaining to watch, and felt good leveraging the distraction to accomplish a goal.

That's all gone in Legion, and I didn't see anything similar. The 'coolest' thing I saw so far was riding a hacked drone to get to the top of a building.

Given all that, I just am not really seeing the point of the "recruit anyone" system, as the tools and ways of interacting within the game world i.e "player agency" just seems very...generic. it's like they did not run with the hacker setting at all.

If I could alleviate your concern somewhat, I was also initially bummed that the Call Cops/Gang ability was gone. However, just from looking at some previews, there are drunks that can call in buddies for fist fights, riot starters that can rally nearby civilians to fight with you, gang members who can summon backup, and even hypnotists that can convert enemies to kill their allies. I can see that if everyone had the overpowered ability to call cops or gangs, then that would essentially make those unique abilities redundant.

Make of that what you will.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
My PC is way too puny for that. I bet it is optimised like crap too.
With Nvidia driver update. I get 33 fps min, 49 fps avg on medium-high hybrid. Decent performance since none of the settings actually look bad.
This is not from the rubbish benchmark but from actual free-roaming.

My specs:
GTX 1060
i7 3770 3.4 GHz
16 GB quad channel ram
It's dual channel RAM.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's dual channel RAM.
"If you install one RAM stick, the stick will run in a single channel, two RAM sticks will run in dual channel and four RAM sticks can run in quad-channel if your motherboard supports it."
Quote from some random video about ram. I got four.
Your CPU supports dual channel only. When you put 4 sticks into MB, either your MB has T-topology, or two sticks were daisy chained together. CPU that allowed quad channel was named i7-3820. (Or 6-cores i7-39xx.)
I have 4 sticks on T-topology in my MB, with speed 40 GB/s, if I had CPU with quad channel I'd have speed 80 GB/s

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Your CPU supports dual channel only. When you put 4 sticks into MB, either your MB has T-topology, or two sticks were daisy chained together. CPU that allowed quad channel was named i7-3820. (Or 6-cores i7-39xx.)
I have 4 sticks on T-topology in my MB, with speed 40 GB/s, if I had CPU with quad channel I'd have speed 80 GB/s
Did not know that! I kept googling, in the end watched a fckn vid and it told me 4 slots. Thanks for the info.

ADL

Prophet
FYI you can recruit these "bosses" you fight during a mandatory story mission. Great perks.
DNLCN5Z.jpeg

Also I came across this dude standing around Trafalgar Square.
zHUMgeX.jpg

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Couldn't finish the first WD. Also received it with my 770 gtx and I just couldn't stand it. Way too similar to AC and their general formula. I did finish WD 2 because I liked the 2 drones. I don't even remember the story or the main character's name. WD Legion seems like WD 2, it even has the same animations when taking cover.
Also, I watched few hours of the game on YouTube and one of the dialogue lines is "in DedSec find are your last resort". Motherfuckers and their retarded references to SC.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
One thing they got right was the permadeath element. I think that kinda of consequence helps the game remove that GTA esque rampage out of convenience which gives this game its own unique feel in that regard.
Its just a shame they screw it all up with the story missions. I don't think shoehorning story important characters into the game helps I think it just ends up with the game losing its main gimmick that it had going for it. Because lets face it the story characters are OP. Part of the fun is assembling a team of elderly super soldiers.

You also know you messed up storywise when Albion look like more interesting people to work for LOL.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
8Cy69Vv.jpg

QcOwgfc.jpg

Whatever you wankers say, this game has been incredible so far. The tone and atmosphere is spot on.The characters do not make me want to rip out my hair nor do they emotionally pander.
The writing thematically is interesting even if it doesn't dig at it deeply, the radio is genuinely good satire.

The gameplay is systematic to the point I would call it an open world immersive sim. I'm given options at every opportunity and they are not withheld in some arbitrary skill tree, instead I get to decide what I want to do, something actual modern immersive sims still forget. The NPC don't just have a routine, they have a system, you can exploit so much. It's incredible. In a lot of ways this game is similar to Far Cry 2, even if people are not kind to it at this point eventually all will look back with admiration at this game. I am sure this game isn't gonna succeed. Instead it will be iterated and streamlined into something palatable by the masses, ala what FarCry 3 is to 2.

Clint Hocking is genuinely incredible, I hope they continue to let him make his own things. Even if they are not mass market success, he does give Ubi the base to make their copy paste garbage. And we can get 1 good game every 5-7 years.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
8Cy69Vv.jpg

QcOwgfc.jpg

Whatever you wankers say, this game has been incredible so far. The tone and atmosphere is spot on.The characters do not make me want to rip out my hair nor do they emotionally pander, they treat the darkness as part of everyday life which it is.
The writing thematically is interesting even if it doesn't dig at it deeply, the radio is genuinely good satire.

The gameplay is systematic to the point I would call it an open world immersive sim. I'm given options at every opportunity and they are not withheld in some arbitrary skill tree, instead I get to decide what I want to do, something actual modern immersive sims still forget. The NPC don't just have a routine, they have a system, you can exploit so much. It's incredible. In a lot of ways this game is similar to Far Cry 2, even if people are not kind to it at this point eventually all will look back with admiration at this game. I am sure this game isn't gonna succeed. Instead it will be iterated and streamlined into something palatable by the masses, ala what FarCry 3 is to 2.

Clint Hocking is genuinely incredible, I hope they continue to let him make his own things. Even if they are not mass market success, he does give Ubi the base to make their copy paste garbage. And we can get 1 good game every 5-7 years.
Shill harder. Don't stain the immersive sim philosophy\genre with this garbage.
NPCs have routines? So revolutionary. You know what other games had NPCs with routines? Gothic, Risen, Elex etc. All the way back to 2000. We're in 2020, this shit should be the norm.
Tone and atmosphere do not make a game. Gameplay does, and it's a wank job. Writing is sjw propaganda and the characters definitely look the part. Lunacy under the pretense of personality.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
NPCs have routines? So revolutionary. You know what other games had NPCs with routines? Gothic, Risen, Elex etc. All the way back to 2000. We're in 2020, this shit should be the norm.
Tone and atmosphere do not make a game. Gameplay does, and it's a wank job. Writing is sjw propaganda and the characters definitely look the part. Lunacy under the pretense of personality.
Don't be a retard. Yes those games had npc routines but did they go to hospital when injured, did their next of kin visit them at the hospital? Here everything is tied to gameplay. You can hunt and track based on their behaviour not just fckn look at it and be "immersed" i.e atmosphere. Everything matters, it's not just fckn set dressing. If you are gonna spout nonsense atleast play the game first. If Prey with it's barebone mechanics is an immersive sim then so is this, infact much more so.

Also writing does matter, there is a reason that Skyrim is literally unplayable and it's not because of gameplay.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mack's reviewed it on WAB and says after 2 hours you've seen everything and it gets mind numbingly boring. I wouldn't automatically believe any reviewer, but as this is pretty much my experience with every Ubisoft game ever I do tend to believe him on this. Also says there's little point in switching operatives as everyone can do every mission one way or another, which is a complaint I've seen in other reviews.

Generic Ubisoft game with a useless gimmick, no thanks.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Don't be a retard. Yes those games had npc routines but did they go to hospital when injured, did their next of kin visit them at the hospital? Here everything is tied to gameplay. You can hunt and track based on their behaviour not just fckn look at it and be "immersed" i.e atmosphere. Everything matters, it's not just fckn set dressing. If you are gonna spout nonsense atleast play the game first. If Prey with it's barebone mechanics is an immersive sim then so is this, infact much more so.

Also writing does matter, there is a reason that Skyrim is literally unplayable and it's not because of gameplay.
Phenomenal. So NPC routines combined with a Nemesis system. Literally the only interesting thing in the game.
Again, how is this PoS an immersive sim?

Edit: forgot something about the Nemesis system. In Shadow of War they expanded it,allowing for personal rivalries, betrayals, various tis between the orcs that would develop outside your control etc. It was much deeper.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
than any commentary on the actual quality of the game.
No,it is about sales and media impact,no investor thinks about that shit. They look if it has a media impact,if it doesn't they assume that it sold badly. If a game sells really good,they leak or reveal sales so they could boost their stocks.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Nvm. My fault for trying to convince you wankers when you have already made up your minds with your presumptions. And "Worth a buy" just fckn lol, the dude who called MGSV a rubbish game.

There really was no point. You guys are just here to circle jerk with your mutual Ubisoft hate.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom