Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I get so sick of stealth games where a knocked out enemy wakes up screaming 30 seconds later
Isn't that actually realistic? I've heard that if you "knock people out" IRL they either get up quickly or you actually killed them. Only reliable way to make people stay unconscious is drugging them.
You know, I've never actually looked this up before. (Thankfully never had a reason to.) Apparently you're right. In that case Angelo85 is right too - it would be natural for anyone who used stealth and knockouts as part of their "toolbox" to bind and gag their victims as a regular part of this realistic breakfast.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I get so sick of stealth games where a knocked out enemy wakes up screaming 30 seconds later
Isn't that actually realistic? I've heard that if you "knock people out" IRL they either get up quickly or you actually killed them. Only reliable way to make people stay unconscious is drugging them.
You know, I've never actually looked this up before. (Thankfully never had a reason to.) Apparently you're right. In that case Angelo85 is right too - it would be natural for anyone who used stealth and knockouts as part of their "toolbox" to bind and gag their victims as a regular part of this realistic breakfast.

Desperados were doing this all the way back when. The concept of "knock out" is indeed gameyfied a lot in most stealth games (even the timeless classics like Thief), people trying to do something more realistic deserve respect for their efforts.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah real-life KOs are a one-way trip to brain damage city a lot of the time, unless you get back up within a minute or two. Garrett's just putting everyone in comas they're not ever gonna wake up from, and Corvo's blood choke tactic will either take people down for about 30 seconds or take them down permanently.

Due to an unrestrained spergy fascination with this subject, I only ever use Dishonored's sleep darts and Thief's gas arrows, never the blood choke or the blackjack. I can believe that there's some science-fantasy crap going on with those weapons that harmlessly knocks people out for an indeterminate period of time, but going around twatting everyone on the head or choking them to death and still being regarded as having not killed anyone is too ridiculous for me. Same for Deus Ex, I only ever use the stun prod, tranq bow, or the gas grenades, not the baton (how the hell is he knocking people out by whacking them in the kidneys anyway?).

The way to do it for a vaguely "realistic" feel in a stealth game would be to combine Hitman 2's incredibly shitty choloform, where people get up after a very short time and are on high alert mode, with Desperados' tying up mechanics. Have a method of knocking people out for about thirty seconds to one minute, and within that time the player must either bind them or lock them away in some side room. I also liked Desperados 1's idea of having knockouts actually deal health damage, so that if you try to knock the same person out like five times you'll just end up killing them.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Yeah real-life KOs are a one-way trip to brain damage city a lot of the time, unless you get back up within a minute or two. Garrett's just putting everyone in comas they're not ever gonna wake up from, and Corvo's blood choke tactic will either take people down for about 30 seconds or take them down permanently.

Due to an unrestrained spergy fascination with this subject, I only ever use Dishonored's sleep darts and Thief's gas arrows, never the blood choke or the blackjack. I can believe that there's some science-fantasy crap going on with those weapons that harmlessly knocks people out for an indeterminate period of time, but going around twatting everyone on the head or choking them to death and still being regarded as having not killed anyone is too ridiculous for me. Same for Deus Ex, I only ever use the stun prod, tranq bow, or the gas grenades, not the baton (how the hell is he knocking people out by whacking them in the kidneys anyway?).

The way to do it for a vaguely "realistic" feel in a stealth game would be to combine Hitman 2's incredibly shitty choloform, where people get up after a very short time and are on high alert mode, with Desperados' tying up mechanics. Have a method of knocking people out for about thirty seconds to one minute, and within that time the player must either bind them or lock them away in some side room. I also liked Desperados 1's idea of having knockouts actually deal health damage, so that if you try to knock the same person out like five times you'll just end up killing them.

But a gas arrow won't cure all forms of back-pain permanently,

I must admit I've never actually played any Hitman game, despite being casually interested every once in a while.

It's been tossed together with these kind of games often, so is any of them really actually close to what Looking Glass et all were trying to achieve?

I noticed that missions have time and it passes if you pick up junk, return to the city and sell it a lot, then the mission can fail?
Smart way to discourage the player from breaking the economy too much.

Timed quests usually are marked as such in the quest log. It's typically also side content, like bounty hunts and the like.

I agree with you, btw. I have issues with the game myself (luckily a lot of them could be patched), but I really think it's a good experience (still playing the 2nd character). As probably said, it's the first game in quite a while that kept me up all night (2 nights on succession on the weekend, actually).

If I'd put a finger on what draws me in the most in general terms, it's that it's a mix of Colantonio's previous games (which I like) plus a touch of a more "traditional" 1990s CRPG structure (overland world map, isometric/topdown view like Ultima, Fallout et all). Plus I like the world building, the general aesthetics, the sound design and the story seems to have a few twists and turns as well.

Final verdict naturally once I have actually finished the damn weird thing.

Does anybody know EXACTLY btw what is procedurally generated? Of course it's the bounty hunts for sure and other side content like that. I think I've read somewhere that there would be even some towns and other locations procedurally generated and spawned on the world map if you start a new game (with towns in general re-using the same assets, even entire buildings, Daggerfall-ish style). Not sure, though.

edit: I've just now read a comment by somebody who started a new game. According to him, entire towns would appear in wholly different locations, look different and even NPCs would swap. The mines would look completely different (not sure if the optional ones or main quest), which would naturally also fit the criticisms that everything would look samey -- a typically criticism directed at procedurally generated content even back in the day of Daggerfall.

Last edited:
Before finishing Werewolves' story, make sure to dismiss followers. One of them disappears permanently if you don't. Recreatable bug.

Is that
the Protector (American Indian)
? In my game I couldn't see an icon for that follower on the map but it turned out
he was at the Dagger and Bones fort. He had gone there to be a diplomat and got caught up in a mutiny.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Before finishing Werewolves' story, make sure to dismiss followers. One of them disappears permanently if you don't. Recreatable bug.

Is that
the Protector (American Indian)
? In my game I couldn't see an icon for that follower on the map but it turned out
he was at the Dagger and Bones fort. He had gone there to be a diplomat and got caught up in a mutiny.
No, was the poet-pigman, his model fell through the ground during the cutscene, haven't seen him after.

Re: Procedurally generated content.

I opened the overworld map on my current save, took a screenshot. Then started a new game, explored roughly 1/3 of the overworld map and compared. There were definitely 3-4 places that didn't exist in one save (and vice versa), at least one of which a town.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
This becomes particularly noticeable when you complete lots of consecutive bounties.
Same villas, same abandoned towns.
But in a sense we are in the weird west after all, so here the game design choice coincides with the setting.
The ludonarrative dissonance is not that intense.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Game-play wise it's the definition of a fire-and-forget mediocre title. The "unique" mechanics all feel implemented in a half-baked manner. Same for the procedural generated content.

SJW stuff aside, the setting and the game's premise might seem interesting - or intriguing even - at first glance. But the manner in which it's both passively exposed to you, and ways in which you actively can explore and learn about it in-game leave you with a feeling of scratching the surface at best. Then again this is a top-down Action RPG Game with light RPG elements. So perhaps I was expecting too much in this department.

Some people praise the interactivity and "choice and consequences". I'm left to wonder why. "wow I did something and can hear about it in-game later, so unique!" bitch please, Skyrim's guards will acknowledge that I slew a dragon or have a different blurb for encountering me at nighttime too.

Quests can be solved in different ways for the most part. Mainly boils down to kill group A, kill group B or sneaky stealthily (the stealth system is an easily exploitable joke by the way). CnC then is "oh you didn't kill group A. Well now they stir up trouble again/hunt you. Would you like to kill group A, kill group B or stealth/ignore it?".
There's a day-night cycle but relevant effectively only if you desire to steal shit in towns.

There's a couple dozen skills, active and passive, with clear winners over others. Active skills you'll use maybe two or three realistically because given the nature of an Action Game, shit happens fast and is over quickly too. You might initiate the combat in different ways (shoot poison barrel, use summon/charm skill, throw dynamite etc.), but after that you just press mouse button until it's over.

From a technical standpoint the game is alright. Runs decently on my 5 year old PC, controls are smooth.

So if you wish to play this game you can go ahead and purchase it right now, no need to wait for patches. Cheapest way - if you are not a pirate - would be to purchase the Gamepass for 10 bucks and play it there, because I highly doubt anyone in their right mind would want to replay this like... ever. Unlike other games in the "immersive sim" genre like for instance Deus Ex, I don't see this one being or becoming a replay-worthy cult game.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Only up to chapter 2,
but the one thing I wish RPGS would steal from this is the anthology play many different stories in an open world system.

Due to me being a completionist, doing all side-quests in RPGS eventually becoming too powerful and breaking the game, I find the first 1/3 of many RPGS to be the most enjoyable part.
Some RPGS get around this with extreme power inflation in between areas (Wasteland 2 / DoS 2), the how the hell is a late-game rat stronger than the toughest baddest dude in the world problem.

Weird beats the problem by having you play as entirely different folks in the same world, making it feel like the first 1/3 of an open-world game throughout the entire game.

-------------------

One point about complaints in aiming:
It`s by design?
They want you to use the Max Payne BULLET TIME and abilities, if you actually had perfect normal aiming, nothing would ever get in your way.

Last edited:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Finished chapter two. Pigmen are the ideal soldiers, bullet proof and self sustaining.
The more I play, the more I like it.
It's dark, the setting doesn't feel trite, it has a pleasant variety of activities.
Sure it's not an rpg, but it's still a fun game everyone should experience.
But the start feels awkward and slow so many people can judge it harshly.
Today I started reading about the Onirists, the dream cult.
Raiding the underground temples is my new favorite pastime.
I got the buff for melee, waited until they fell asleep and sneakily butchered them all.
Even found a great rifle, four stars purple.
Speaking of rifles, the codexer who wrote about how overpowered it is was right.
The silenced shot skill, combined with bonus damage to enemies who haven't noticed you one shots even stronger outlaws.
I just started chapter 3, but it seems kinda weak and underwhelming but I doubt anything can reach the experience of playing as a pigman.
Regarding aiming, I think they wanted action oriented gameplay so they went for the controller as the main form of interaction with the game.
It sure feels awkward at first but later you get used to it.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Back in January when I finished the game (the beta version) I used almost exclusively the bow. I think the bow one shots the vast majority of enemies, with all the upgrades (there was also a legendary version 5 star bow) and perks etc. I think it depended on how long you drew the bow. There was a sweet spot close to the point where it shines. It's before or after that, I can't remember. But I do remember scoring 430 plus damage on a sneak attack. I think even 500 or close to that. More testing is required though to find that perfect release point.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
With the current balance (bugs?)
Playing a Character who has no reservations about crime completely breaks the game.

Playing pigman, went back to the first village. firearms store had a legendary and bunch of 4 star guns of each type.

You treat me like a pig, I have no money, and I really want the gun, so I`m just going to take the guns.

Waited for everyone to leave and then knocked the clerk out.

As I‘m standing there looting the shelves of the glorious legendary guns, Townsfolks and even the bloody sheriff are walking in and out with text boxes above their heads "Someone is knocking people out!"

You think there is any possibility that it is the pig man currently having a wonderous time looting the shelves of the stores, who looks awfully familiar to the talking pigman with a -80 reputation $100 bounty just posted yesterday?
"Nah, Can`t Be, just let the nice pigman completely loot the store"

Repeat the process with the rest of the stores in the town....

Entirely eliminated challenge for the rest of the chapter.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Only up to chapter 2,
but the one thing I wish RPGS would steal from this is the anthology play many different stories in an open world system.

Due to me being a completionist, doing all side-quests in RPGS eventually becoming too powerful and breaking the game, I find the first 1/3 of many RPGS to be the most enjoyable part.
Some RPGS get around this with extreme power inflation in between areas (Wasteland 2 / DoS 2), the how the hell is a late-game rat stronger than the toughest baddest dude in the world problem.

Weird beats the problem by having you play as entirely different folks in the same world, making it feel like the first 1/3 of an open-world game throughout the entire game.

-------------------

One point about complaints in aiming:
It`s by design?
They want you to use the Max Payne BULLET TIME and abilities, if you actually had perfect normal aiming, nothing would ever get in your way.

Extremely good point.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Reactions from the npcs are weird indeed.
I try to not be evil, infiltrate the mayor's villa, everyone is a ravenous. I start killing them and the game increases my bounty as if I killed humans.
Running around with -100 reputation and killing hunters easily.
Normal becomes easy if you have strong companions, but playing on hard is senseless.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1097350/view/3207134029082184666

Weird West Update 1.01 is Live
5c7e26fd6381876bf1416373f70b3d26c2d3c1dc.png

Hi all,
it's been just over a week since Weird West launched and we are extremely thankful for everyone's support and love. We're thankful for all of the feedback you've sent our way via Steam forums, Discord, and our official suggestions board because it helped us make the game even better.

Patch 1.01 is now live on Steam. including critical bug fixes and a few QoL improvements pertaining to the inventory and shops. Please find the full changelog below.

We will now look into Patch 1.02. While 1.01 is heavily focused on bug fixing, 1.02 will give us an opportunity to do a bit more QoL updates and feature adds/changes. So if you have a minute, don't forget to go to our Suggestion Board to lodge suggestions or vote on existing ones! We will be reviewing them on Monday, April 11th, and select which one we will prioritize for Patch 1.02.

As mentioned before our goal is to keep on working on the game for the long term, so 1.02 is far from being the last patch. We plan on iterating on the game whether it's for bug fixing, improvements, adding content, game modes, etc so this is only the beginning!
1.01 Changelog
  • Your Horse now stops if it was moving while if you attempt to search their Saddlebags (and Saddlebags wont auto close if they restart moving for whatever reasons, but will still auto close if you move away from your Horse)
  • You can now access your Companions and Horse inventory directly from the Shop UI to resell items directly from their inventory
  • Wanderers now also buy Junk Items to give more opportunities to resell such items while on the road
  • The game now cycle through 5 x Auto Save Slots instead of 3, so you can more easily backtrack through save files if needed
  • Game Pass PC Build now uses 10 Manual Save Slots like on Xbox (up from 5) so it matches for Save Roaming between both platforms
  • The Protector Journey Hero recruited as a Companion will no longer wrongly quit your Posse when receiving friendly fire
  • Bolt-Action Forester Rifles now have their correct icon in the Weapon Wheel
  • Fixed opening of the Shop UI sometimes wrongly auto selling a random item from Player inventory, if you pressed USE for too long when validating the choice "Browse Goods"
  • Fixed crafting of items not dropping crafted item at Player's Feet if player's inventory was full
  • Improved throwable weapons (eg dynamites etc) throw arc and speed so they are easier to use in combat and can easily be sent through door frames etc
  • Decreased HOLD time on Scrap Weapon interaction to be standard HOLD interact time to make it less annoying to scrap multiple weapons in a row
  • Added an option so that player can transfer at once all junk items from their inventory to a companion, horse or container inventory
  • Fixed an issue with Keyboard + Mouse where you could not navigate the "Abilities" and "Perks" TAB of the Journal if you had used LMB on any of the Abilities or Perks
  • Fixed one of the Heathen Travel Encounter not triggering on a specific story path
  • Fixed Canker and Fighting Pit Sigil being wrongly destroyed when using a generic Sigil to access a secondary Temple (the fix is retroactive and if the bug happened already to you, you will re receive the missing Sigil upon entering the Fighting Pit/Canker or upon reloading a save in those locations)
  • Made all Bounty Targets Intro Line non blocking so that player doesnt get derailed by a blocking conversation while fighting or sneaking on their target
  • Made it so that if you return a handcuffed Bounty Target, they only have a low chance of later jail breaking and starting a vendetta against you (was previously 100% when it should have been 15%)
  • Companions now auto use bandages they have in their inventory when their health drops below 40% (instead of the threshold being at 25%)
  • Tuned distraction noise made by throwing props around so AIs will react to it from further away, allowing player more control over this system
  • Fixed issue with abandoned mine sometimes not being correctly populated with Sirens when using Sirens Scenario
  • Fixed Foliage/Bushes areas in Canyon Location to have less "holes" in them so player does not get surprised detected while walking hidden in the middle of a bush patch
  • Fixed Weapon Shops Guards being pulled to guard banks in Town instead of staying inside the Weapon Shop (also solves Deputies being inside the locked ransacked Bank at beginning of the game)
  • Added Loading Hint about Companions not requiring Ammo to use ranged weapons
  • Fixed Easy Prey/Terror on the Trail side quests having their quest item disappearing if you entered the abandoned wagon location and re entered it prior to finding the item
  • Fixed losing reputation when killing Ravenous at Galen's Crossing
  • You can drop items from your inventory when browsing containers/NPCs inventory and opening your inventory side panel
  • Fixed being able to bury companions in Olvidado's lair, resulting in not being able to access their corpse during the last Journey
  • Fixed finding husband in Bounty Hunter Journey, without freeing him and then returning to Galen's Crossing and completing local objectives prematurely and wrongly completing the Journey
  • Fixed issue where in rare cases, Essex Mast in Quickbend does not follow up with his blocking conversation when you free him, resulting in an objective blocker
  • Fixed Tanning Racks in Trapper Camps having nav mesh beneath them which could result in side quest NPCs spawning inside tanning racks and blocking side quest progression
  • Fixed Rope being removed from player inventory everytime you reloaded into a location where you had attached the rope to a skylight
  • Fixed Documents, Relics, Keys, Golden Ace not transferring from 4th to 5th Hero
  • Fixed Oneirist leaving location while talking with her about the cursed statuette during the Ritual travel encounter
  • Fixed hole in bush area at starting point of Greenwood Run resulting in player getting unfairly detected
  • Made it clearer on the Crafting UI which is the item you produce and which are the items needed
  • Fixed the Reputation Notification sometimes displaying a placeholder text
  • Fixed Ability Wheel not showing weapon abilities when having set AIMING to TOGGLE MODE and aiming with your weapon
  • Fixed Sheriff wrongly going hostile during the side quest where they open the cell after being bribed
  • Fixed rare blocker bug where Pigman Hero would not go to destination during a specific Objective in last Journey

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Made it so that if you return a handcuffed Bounty Target, they only have a low chance of later jail breaking and starting a vendetta against you (was previously 100% when it should have been 15%)

:lol: Just like in superhero comics.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Community Plague Event is live for a limited time!

"Reports are rolling in from across the Weird West of a plague of undead rising from the grave! Worse, a terrible sickness seems to follow in their wake. Stay sharp, travelers."

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Gamepass is a godsend for every PR person and investor bullshitter. 25 million people just one click away from inflating your numbers, even if they uninstall again after 5 minutes!

JDR13

Arcane
I tried it last night and wasn't impressed. I only played up to the 5th map, and I already feel like uninstalling it.

Whoever had the audacity to call this an immersive sim should be banned from any further game development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom