Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood Gameplay Reveal

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dogmen! WOOF WOOF! Sausage time!

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Styx any good?

I've only seen footage of it but I've heard it's ok for what it is.

I only played the first one - it is an OK 3rd person stealth/platformer. There are some secondary objectives in some missions that you can do or ignore, enemy IA is passable, story is OK as well. I thought the game kinda draged on at the end. IMO it is worth getting on a sale.

As for this Werewolf thing, dunno - it looks like something that could have come out in circa 2005 or so. I wonder how much freedom there will be for the player to actually choose his playstyle throughout the missions (ie. whether you can actually go full stealth outside of boss fights). From my point of view its a bummer that the only games in WoD setting that get made are all the monster ones, I would love to get an actuall RPG in Hunter/Inquisition setting instead of this.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

I would love to get an actuall RPG in Hunter/Inquisition setting instead of this
This.

Or better yet, Changeling: The Dreaming. Some aspects of the lore and mechanics would need to be revised, but the key concepts are solid, and would make for an excellent RPG.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

And yes, I know a lot of you faggots will say "durr, Changeling: The Lost is much better, CTD is shit!!".

Except, Changeling: The Lost is really Alien: The Abduction. It doesn't have anything to do with fae, fantasy, magic, whimsical settings, changelings from mythology and folk tales, on any level, other than the most superficial. It's a fine game line in its own right (though I struggle to see how it would translate to a video game), but it's really just a lovecraftian/eldrict/UFO abduction modern mythology game, pretending to be about fairies.

CTD is the shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not, I was just expecting more than this. The graphics quality looks little different from Styx: Master of Shadows, which Cyanide released 6 years ago.

At least it doesn't look like they're slapping every post-processing effect in existence over this game like they did with Call of Cthulhu though.

In the era of diminishing returns, anything not related to art style will cost more money.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Changeling: The Dreaming would need a few revisions to its key concepts to make it viable as a setting:

1. Remove the age restriction on player characters that mandates changelings to be young kids, who lose all their "glamor" by the time they turn thirty. Nobody wants to play as a dumb kid who thinks he's an elf or a gnome.

2. Remove some of the ambiguity around the reality of the Dreaming. There should be some sort of rule that says, if a mundane onlooker accidentally steps into an area of the Dreaming where the changelings have assumed their fae-natures, then the mundane will either break the Dreaming through their disbelief, or get pulled into the Dreaming, and probably go mad as a result. Changelings shouldn't be seen as schizophrenic kids waving around sticks and thinking they are knights fighting a dragon. That's hits too close to home. Either the mundane reality persists, or the Dreaming, not both at the same time.

3. Reduce the number of "kiths". CTD starts with dozens of mythological creatures from a number of European folklores, and later ads a bunch of other creatures from other world cultures, ending with hundreds of "races" to choose from. That's too much. Pick a culture and stick to it.

4. The same way that Wraith: The Oblivion had a layer of reality (Shadowlands) that loosely corresponded to the real world, but had everything dark and decaying to fit the theme of the gameline, Changeling: The Dreaming should have its own layer of reality that roughly follows the geography of the real world, but where everything is more magical, rustic, fantasy-like, and whimsical. You can call this layer the Daydream, and even say that because of all the bad shit that went down, the Daydream is now discountinous and fractured into many pieces, instead of being a single alternate dimension like the Shadowlands for wraiths.

Xelocix

Learned
In the era of diminishing returns, anything not related to art style will cost more money.

I know. All I'm saying is that I expected the first Werewolf game we'd get to look more impressive. The game lacks interesting art direction so far from what I've seen, and having mediocre graphics really doesn't help sell the thing to me.

I usually don't care much for graphics, but visuals are very important to me when it comes to the WoD. If it doesn't look/feel like Werewolf what's even the point of playing? Just play Skyrim.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Isn't a werewolf in WoD crazy powerful? My only impression is from VtM:B, but I'm having a hard time thinking what could pose a credible challenge to them when a pack of vampires can't.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Game is trying to be a mix of Metal Gear Solid and uh... altered beast or splatterhouse? Maybe it wants a little arkham knight action? Crossbow? Surely some of those tools have rifles fit for sniping. Werewolf with a minigun or two. Hmmm?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Isn't a werewolf in WoD crazy powerful? My only impression is from VtM:B, but I'm having a hard time thinking what could pose a credible challenge to them when a pack of vampires can't.
Yeah, they can shapeshift into 4 forms besides whatever their natural one is (aside from the
TrumpDisgusting.png
and haraam half-breed types) and I think at least 2 of those forms have what is basically dragonfear. They regenerate wounds like crazy every round unless damaged in specific, rare ways (silver, magic, maybe fire--I know Vampires really get fucked up by fire, but I can't remember if it also causes unhealable damage to werewolves). They also have ways of creating magical items, casting limited spells IIRC, walking in a spirit world that hides them from the mundane world, near-instant global transport over moonbridges or something like that. All that is counterbalanced basically by the fact that pretty much every other creature in the world is against them and will fuck them up if they start showing off their true nature.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The splats were never really intended to fight, mechanically speaking.
A low level Crinos werewolf can easily fuck up low level Vampires.
A high level Vampire with Celerity can in turn fuck up a high level werewolf one on one.
A low level mage with some creativity can fuck up anything.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Celerity? Yeah, wolves hate fiber. It moves that protein forward far too fast.
veggies_1414657001.gif

Latelistener

Arcane
I remember the Wolverine game being somewhat prestigious. Unlike the movie with PG-13 rating, the game was brutal and bloody.

The problem is that it was 10 years ago. The game looks almost exactly like that.

Latelistener

Arcane
Yeah, the first one was made by Raven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom