Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WH40K Chaos Gate - Worth it?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
equipping 2/3rd of your troops with weapons that cannot hurt the enemy doesn't sound super smart.
The Codex Astartes is a meme in universe. Bolters work better against non-armored targets, barring special ammo.
I wonder whether the Codex Astartes would approve of abusing the heavy weapon bug (if the rightmost position of the Devastator squad is empty, dropping someone here from another squad will make him equip a heavy bolter, even if it brings the heavy weapon count over 2. You can then swap hilm with a bolter marine, change his heavy weapon, and repeat).

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the standard tactical squad (I would gladly have brought 2 plasma marines on mission, because otherwise, the Tactical Squad is useless compared to your other options, but more than 2 HW on a Dev squad really feels like cheating).

I guess I will mod kraken ammunitions in (as better Penetration for regular bolters) in my future plays.
It will probably result in a lot more dead ultrasmurf (because currently, most of the CSM are no threat at all), but at least, the bolter marines will serve some other purpose than overwatch fodder.

As for modding the game:
http://directx.pl/warhammer-40k-chaos-gate
WarHammer 40K – Chaos Gate

WarHammer 40K – Chaos Gate

Cheat Codes:
————
First, go into the Data file in the game directory.
Then, you can edit any of these files to change certain aspects of the game,
such as: Names for both sides, weapon statistics, experience awarded for kills,
vehicle statistics, Psyker power statistics, and more! All you have to do is edit
the files.

These are the ones I have found most useful:

Accounting.dat – Experience
SpellDef.dat – Psyker Powers
VehicDef.dat – Vehicle Statistics
WeapDef.dat – Weapon Statistics
UltNames. – Ultramarine Names
ChaNames.dat – Chaos Names

Note that any changes you make may effect Chaos as well, so be careful, especially
with the weapons!

Make new campaigns:
———————–
Submitted by: Gamesplorer

ou folks are still playing this game? Awesome. Ive still got it running on my old HP
pavilion. Ive discovered a way to create whole new campaigns for the game:

1.) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Random Games\Chaos Gate\Maps
This is where all the single player campaign maps are. Save them off somewhere else so
you can restore the original campaign later on if you want to.

2.) start up the scenario editor that comes with the game. Under FILE, click
Generate Random Map. This brings up the same screen for generating a single random
battle. All the elements are there for designing a particular battle, and the computer
will generate the terrain and the enemy forces. When the computer is done, it will leave
you in the scenario editor so you can make any additional changes if you are handy with
the editor. One quick and easy thing you can do is click MISSION SETUP under the SETUP
button. There you can add a title and a mission briefing. You can also check off which
units can take part in the mission. This allows you to have Captain K and the other high
levels participate in your very first missions. Please note that if you add text to the
mission briefing it will only show up in the mission briefing pop up in the battlefield.
The Cathedral Bridge screen will still show the original campaigns briefings.

3.) When you are done with the generated mission, click FILE and then SAVE AS and give it the
same file name as the map you wish to replace in C:\Program Files\Random Games\Chaos Gate\Maps.
I.e. After you create your first mission, save it as Chapter01.MAP in
C:\Program Files\Random Games\Chaos Gate\Maps. After you finish creating your second mission
save it as Chapter02.MAP. Etc etc etc.

4.) when you start the single player campaign, you will start out at the first mission, get
the Cathedral Bridge briefing for the original first mission, but the battlefield briefing
pop up will show your new first mission. In the addition to the new set of missions youve
created, youll still get the randomly generated secondary missions too. The thing about
having a new campaign is that Captains K command will start out with their normal lack of
experience and the new campaigns will allow them to progress just like the old campaign did.
And theres the fun of seeing the marines get picked off one by one as the missions go by.
I missed those two things when I got tired of playing the old campaign.

5.) Cautions. A.) Make sure you have no mistakes (like forgetting to specify an mission
ending condition)in any of your missions because once you start the campaign, the computer
saves the campaign maps off somewhere else as it goes through the campaign. If youve made
a mistake in the Chapter05.MAP, you will have to restart your campaign all over again
after you fix it. B.) In the Scenario Editors Generate Random Map screen, the size and
power of the Chaos forces are determined by the Level of Difficulty slider. Since the
Ultramarines start at low experience in the beginning, you will have to do some play-testing
to determine what the difficulty level should be for each mission. I.e., if you set the
Difficulty level at 10 for the Chapter01.MAP mission, your guys will get wiped out even if
you have Captain K, the Chaplain, and three Dreadnoughts with you. Match the difficulty
level of the first mission to the experience level of Chapter01.MAP and then step it up
in successive missions.
Have fun, folks!

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
From battlesctor Thread:
I'm glad that the veterancy is coming in, even if it is a bit uninspired, although by no means weak. +1 Accuracy +1 Crit sounds like it's going to make Hellblasters with Heavy Plasma even more OP.

Also on the topic of Chaos Gate: I always found melee to be suicidal and lame. I never got it to work well. Shooting Chaos scum always gave me the best results.

There are basically 2 ways to make melee work:
Jet Packs on turn 1 (because no overwatch), and a total disregard for fuel consumption:
Locate 2 of the heavy weapons (and hope your devatastors and termies are able to take out the remaining threats), jump 2 marines to each, CTRL+ATT them (so that you only eat a single counter attack, instead of 1 per marine).
That is usually sufficient to get them out, and leave you with enough AP to either fly back to safety, or blind grenade the hell out of the location (and move inside the smoke cloud as the AI will grenade the last known location of your marines).

Jumping in without blind grenades (or jumping out, but it is even worse for the fuel) is suicidal, because your marines will die to plasma/Krak grenades otherwise (or even bolter/las pistols).

The other way is to use Displacement or Gate on your Librarian (Displacement is much better), and teleport your squad of Terminators in the face of the opponent. Doing so doesn't trigger overwatch, but the first action you'll do after will, so it'd better be to not miss the main threat with whatever you planned to use.
60 AP Marines with very high ballistic skills are rarer than suitable candidate for the assault squad, so I don't mind losing a few ASM as much as one of my 2 Devastator with heavy weapon.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I always thought that the assault marines were acutally pretty damn great, in fact Chaos Gate had IMO the best depiction of assault marines in all of 40K vidya (especially in comparison with DoW where they sucked hard). Some of the best memories I have playing Chaos Gate are actually of having my assault squad jump over the walls of the Chaos fire base in one of the first mission or using it to clear out the bunkers in that mission where you need to break through the gate (the follow up mission is inside the base and you have to destroy some generator in there IIRC).

I am also pretty sure that close combat kills give more XP in Chaos Gate, so there is a lot of incentive for melee fighting.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always thought that the assault marines were acutally pretty damn great, in fact Chaos Gate had IMO the best depiction of assault marines in all of 40K vidya (especially in comparison with DoW where they sucked hard). Some of the best memories I have playing Chaos Gate are actually of having my assault squad jump over the walls of the Chaos fire base in one of the first mission or using it to clear out the bunkers in that mission where you need to break through the gate (the follow up mission is inside the base and you have to destroy some generator in there IIRC).

I am also pretty sure that close combat kills give more XP in Chaos Gate, so there is a lot of incentive for melee fighting.

the sequences with jump packs in Space Marines were really good, mostly because it was fun to use (even if there was some jank in the controls) and usually in areas with different elevations, so there are an incentive to move around. And in DoW 2, it was fun to send the assault squad to pound on ranged enemies, even if they ended up dead most of the time (or I just sucked at the game)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

the sequences with jump packs in Space Marines were really good, mostly because it was fun to use (even if there was some jank in the controls) and usually in areas with different elevations, so there are an incentive to move around. And in DoW 2, it was fun to send the assault squad to pound on ranged enemies, even if they ended up dead most of the time (or I just sucked at the game)
The reason it didn't work in Dow for me was because the marines were disposable (in SP). I lost a chapter worth of marines or so over the campaign, with the weird "free reinforcement"+boss mechanics.

Gaznak

Learned
It's absolutely worth it. Especially for a WH40K fan just because in our days GW seems to sell the license to anyone who asks. Amongst modern WH40K games only Sanctus Reach is decent more or less, and Herald of Oblivion (not so new though). So the good old WH40K games are a gift of Heaven.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I played it for the first time some 2 years ago, maybe 3. It was a great game, without nostalgia googles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom