Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your Top 10 RPGs?

Trashos

Arcane
Not in order:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout New Vegas
Arcanum
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Age of Decadence
Underrail
Gothic 2

That's a hard question but the RPGs that influenced and impressed me the most would be the following ten (not in order):
  • Ultima VII
  • Gothic 2
  • Baldur's Gate 1
  • Planescape Torment
  • Grimoire
  • Dark Disciples 2
  • World of Xeen
  • Ultima Underworld 1
  • Fallout 2
  • Sternenkind Saga (german RPG-Maker game, feels not at all like a typical RPGM-game but more like a rather unique mix between Gothic, Ultima VII and Realms of Arkania to me)

Zer0wing

Cipher
It's more prestigious to have mastered 7.62 High Calibre. :obviously:

And it's even more prestigious to have mastered ToEE, Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and X-COM. :obviously:
Well look at you, a broken clock that is right for once.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Have no idea who that is,sounds retarded. I play every RPG that i think could enjoy,playing them of a check list is work and not a fun pass time. Doing something as a job,you end up hating it. I prefer to have fun with rpgs.

I do know who he is (because of the Codex) and i agree, he's just another autistic basement dweller that would perfectly in here if he wasn't a snowflake.

His "work" isn't worthless though, i'm just glad he's the one doing it, i know i wouldn't even if i was paid to do it.

Sternenkind Saga (german RPG-Maker game, feels not at all like a typical RPGM-game but more like a rather unique mix between Gothic, Ultima VII and Realms of Arkania to me)

I'm guessing it's not translated ?

Sternenkind Saga
Does it have english version? Also check out Laxius power game,they are very similar.
Unfortunately not. It really deserves more attention, there are so many decisions to take and ways to solve quests, a system of deities that like or dislike your actions (they may even react on what you do), well fleshed out characters, a proper RPG-system where your abilities and skills open different paths to do things... I never played Laxius Power but I've read about it years ago. Are you sure they are similar? I'll have a look at it then. Thanks.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sternenkind Saga
Does it have english version? Also check out Laxius power game,they are very similar.
Unfortunately not. It really deserves more attention, there are so many decisions to take and ways to solve quests, a system of deities that like or dislike your actions (they may even react on what you do), well fleshed out characters, a proper RPG-system where your abilities and skills open different paths to do things... I never played Laxius Power but I've read about it years ago. Are you sure they are similar? I'll have a look at it then. Thanks.
Ahh not entirely similar,it is game focused on exploration. The third one is pretty much open world with ton of content,quests guilds etc etc. The second one is pretty meh in my book.

Silly Germans

I don't consider Deus Ex, JA2 as rpgs, otherwise they would have made it to the list, likewise Spellforce 3. The first listed title is the one that i prefer from a series. I enjoy a new game much more than a direct sequel in most cases simply due to the novelty. Top-down ordering has no special meaning:

Baldurs Gate 2 | Baldurs Gate 1
Drakensang The River of Time
Gothic 2 | Gothic 1
Divinity : Original Sin 1 | Divinity : Original Sin 2
Fallout 1 | Fallout 2 | Fallout Tactics
Vampire : The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Knights of the old Republic 1 | Knights of the Old Republic 2
The Witcher 3 | The Witcher 1 | The Witcher 2
Shadowrun Returns | Shadowrun Dragonfall | Shadowrun Hong Kong
Mass Effect 2 | Mass Effect 1 |Mass Effect 3

Runner ups:

Icewind Dale series
Nox
Diablo II
Dragon Age : Origins
Neverwinter Nights 2 with Addons
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Pillars of Eternity 2
Tyranny
Sacred 2
Arcanum

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well if you don't know:
CRPG ADDICT BLOG

Lot's of DOS and far older games on there. I didn't follow the blog for modern games. Generally, he tries to complete a game and rate it, then move on. There is some discussion by fans of various games. A highlight for me was when Stuart Smith responded to a few of his games reviewed. I've been an avid ACS fan since a kid.

Nostalgia goggles, maybe. I can't help how people and gaming think today. Game are what they are. Some have lots of interesting history and drama. For me, its what they sparked for my imagination to bring to tabletop gaming in that era.

Today, I'd just like to see remakes of games but with some modern innovations and the best possible options for the genre subcategory I find amusing.

Hard for me to rate, honestly. The wide scope of RPG now is just getting more vague. I mean some shooters have levelling up and rpg elements. Even bloody puzzle games, sims, button mashers, and platformers. It gets ridiculous.

eh, what a ramble of drivel.

chemicalnatzy

Novice
1. Fallout 2;
2. Arcanum;
3. Diablo 1;
4. Pillars of Eternity;
5. Fallout 1;
6. PS: T;
7. Underrail;
8. Disco Elysium;
9. Fallout: NewVegas;
10. Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sternenkind Saga

Downloaded rn, very interesting name. Quite dreamy, reminds me of those books that the Hohlbeins used to write together, Märchenmonds Kinder.
Screenshots look nice aswell. I'll make a thread if I ever get to playing it, and if is is of sufficient quality.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dead? Sounds like people are fucking spoiled imho. What are you honestly expecting for a game? Something so innovative it is incomprehensible?

Ok, let's not remake: how many rts, turn based rpg, rtrpg, tactical mass combat rpgs, any game really?

What hasn't been done that the spoiled people of today want?

Honestly, just about every game out there is building upon the past and maybe splicing some crap together. And when that NEW gimmick does happen, people are bored of it before years end. No matter what comes out someone will bitch and moan.

Big game companies are dying or dead for one reason or another; probably decisions that fan-base don't like, ignoring base, or over-budget and missing deadlines. Big companies want your $$$$. Indies want to get in the map.

People want a game crash. I suggest you toss your e-gear in the trash and sit in the wilderness for a few decades. There is the possibility people that are bored or tired of the new games are just plain tired and bored period. You've become so over stimulated and can't get that high anymore of your newbie virgin gaming experiences.

Its over. Gamers become old used game-drug slutty whores wasting away on chasing that e-dragon.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fallout
Deus Ex
Dark Souls
Jagged Alliance 2
Baldur's Gate
The Witcher
KotOR 2
VtM: Bloodlines
AoD
Darklands

Farewell young Prince into the night

Darklands
Swordflight (NWN)
Fallout 1
Arcanum
Wizardry 6
Ultima IV
Baldur's Gate 1
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Wasteland 1
Realms of Arkania: Star Trail (1994)

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
In no particular order:
Bloodlines
Deus Ex
Gothic
Risen
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
System Shock 2
Persona 5
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Prey

Honorable mentions (aka other games that could take Prey's spot):
Final Fantasy VII
Gothic 3 (with fan patches)
ELEX
Disgaea 5
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
VTM: Redemption
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
2. My tastes in games are about 4,000-5,000 times better than Lilura's (which I should've suspected from that time years ago when she claimed MotB is better than PS:T), and perhaps it is I who should start a blog.

lol PorkyThePopamola

I would smash your upstart blog to pieces lol. See how crpgaddict has 65,000 spam links compared to my 4,000? See how he has 100s of followers compared to my ZERO? And see how I get MORE VIEWS despite that? It's called King Content. And Google penetrance. Google knows what's good. You have a snow ball's chance in hell of competing with me lolol:

1. You can't write
2. Charisma is your dumpstat
3. You have abysmal taste
4. You have no passion, no drive

3. Zed Duke of Banville is insane because he put Dungeon Master on his list but not Ultima Underworld.

It's called super-thick pointdexter nostalgia goggles. If you're going pre-1995, omission of Ultima Underworld and System Shock 1 is beheadable offense.

Sternenkind Saga

Downloaded rn, very interesting name. Quite dreamy, reminds me of those books that the Hohlbeins used to write together, Märchenmonds Kinder.
Screenshots look nice aswell. I'll make a thread if I ever get to playing it, and if is is of sufficient quality.
The only thing that hold me a bit back in the first hour of playing were the somewhat puerile dialogues (a lot of unnecessary swearing). On the other hand maybe that's fitting because you are supposed to play a bunch of teenagers becoming warriors, but I found it a bit too obtrusive. Otherwise the story is well written and the characters develop believably. After an hour the game totally absorbed me for days and weeks until I reached the end. The first location alone is so believable and full of life it reminded me on an Ultima title. Every one of your skills matters and helps you in certain situations, you can build your character freely and it feels like a proper western rpg. There is much replay value as there are so many secrets and skill-based things you'll not be able to see in one playthrough (and additionally the twelve different astrological signs - you chose one for your character - affect gameplay, influence things like dialogues, your relation to the twelve gods or give you special abilities). There was a "special edition" planned but that one will very likely never be released, I fear they overreached with adding new stuff and lost motivation. So in my opinion 1.1.4 is and will be the final version.

Last edited:
lol PorkyThePopamola

That's Ser Porkalot to you.

I would smash your upstart blog to pieces lol.

I would reverse-smash your blog to mandalorians if only I didn't harbor some strange sort of weird platonic attraction to your crazy ass.

1. You can't write
2. Charisma is your dumpstat
3. You have abysmal taste
4. You have no passion, no drive

1. I am the Shakespeare of shitposting, the bard of lard, the quill of punnic happenstance.
2. Wrong. Google penetrance (sp. penetration?) is my dumpstat.
3. Would a man with an abysmal taste like this? https://i.redd.it/pil83vpqoc411.jpg
4. I am quite passionate about my lack of drive.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I like harsh critics. It gives a perspective esp if thoroughly pointing out flaws. This is where nostalgic rose colored glasses need shattering. I love old games but sometimes there is just crap and mechanics that irk the fuck out of me, thus a remake (by fans not a company) are fine imho. Call it modding or w/e. There are doom mods of sidescrollers by devoted fans that are fucking fantastic. I've yet seen the old dunjonquest remake. I'd like an good colecovision remake of Gateway to apshai (its sort of diabloish). Nix the timer, ability to go up/down "ladders" Connect all 99 dungeons together. That'd be a big fucker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom