Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What DID you play during the Great cRPG Drought?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
^
dumb nigger with shit opinions

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
More like edgy try hard newfag attempting to be as KKKool and hardcore as possible.

Or just a dumb nigger with shit opinions.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Wasn't the Great CRPG Drought in like the early-mid 90s?
Yes, the first one, where everyone made DM-clones or, later, Diablo-clones.
Or was that the Great CRPG Crash? I can never keep these things straight.
Great Video Game Crash was sometime earlier in 80s.

Anyway, I played everything from M&M to Dark Heart of Uukrul, sometimes many times as with PoR, M&M6 or System Shock. There are games that I fully played through four times - F2, ADOM and Legacy.
Also I spent ton of time on my beloved Master of Magic.
The only relative contemporary games that I played were some Spiderweb games, Eschalon, KoTC and roguelike or two.

bloodlover

Arcane
My parents did not buy me a PC when I was very young because they thought it would interfere with my school so by the time I got one I had a lot of catching up to do.

You had a PC and a PS1 at the same time or the PC came later? Weird parenting logic at work if they allow you to have a PS1 but not a PC. Parents gonna parent I guess.

PC came later. I got the PS1 in 1997-98' I think but I know the first controller I had was not dual analog so it was probably from the first generation. It was also big and bulky and I remember later seeing on TV a slimmer version. I don't understand the logic either but my cousins had a N64 so I guess they wanted me to have a console too. I also had an old Atari 2600 from one of my uncles when I was very young but they didn't let me play on it a lot because they thought it would mess with the TV's colours :lol:

Idk man, parents are strange.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Paradox strategies, a lot of simulators and adventures, guild series, SimCity 4, bloodlines, l.a. noire, Microsoft flight sim etc.
also some old games from 90s

I did enjoyed some of rpgs during that time, like SpiderWeb's games, Inquisitor, Planet Alcatraz, Academagia

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That "drough" was the time when I started to play cRPG (around 2005-2006?). So...most well known titles, like BGs, IWDs, Wizardry8....
Pity that I got no good PC to play Morrowind, so much free time for it...now I can launch it wihtout issue but no time for it and there is already good LP on the codex.
Drough might be good for backlog cleaning, especially for such long titles.

likaq

Arcane
Buddy if you think that is some monocled wiseassery think again; Final Fantasy Tactics, Grandia 2, Shin Tensei Megami Nocturne, Persona 4, Lunar, Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger stand shoulder to shoulder with Darklands, Wizardry 7 and World of Xeen as some of my favorites and I dont really need to play it cool about it either trying to make a pose in a nerd forum which is mighty proud about it ;)

I really want to know if father of combatfags on codex agree.
mondblut do you agree with Invictus?

mondblut

Arcane
Buddy if you think that is some monocled wiseassery think again; Final Fantasy Tactics, Grandia 2, Shin Tensei Megami Nocturne, Persona 4, Lunar, Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger stand shoulder to shoulder with Darklands, Wizardry 7 and World of Xeen as some of my favorites and I dont really need to play it cool about it either trying to make a pose in a nerd forum which is mighty proud about it ;)

:notsureifserious:

For the record, considering me a "combatfag" is a huge misconception. I am a spreadsheetfag. Combatfags are irrationally obsessed with "challenge". Me, if a game is challenging, I am playing it wrong.

To answer your question, jrpgs (with the occasional and very partial exception of the likes of SMT) have apallingly dumbed down and mindblowingly retarded spreadsheet part, so touching them equals getting AIDS. If someone has a hard time beating 8 years old deformed cartoon girls with his 7-digital ATT and DEF values, that doesn't make them any less AIDS-ridden.

Last edited:
More like edgy try hard newfag attempting to be as KKKool and hardcore as possible.
Judging by how many faggots who like Japanese games actually post here... If that was what I wanted, I'm pretty sure I'd get it by stating the opposite: That Japan is the best at everything and all western games are shit.

Of course, this is untrue, because Japan has never made a good game in its entire existence.

Shammy

Learned
Judging by how many faggots who like Japanese games actually post here... If that was what I wanted, I'm pretty sure I'd get it by stating the opposite: That Japan is the best at everything and all western games are shit.

Of course, this is untrue, because Japan has never made a good game in its entire existence.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Given that I have thousands of hour logged in MUDS back in the 90s, it was only natural that I would relapse and play Guild Wars. (I spent most of my pvp time in 20-100 ranked guilds). I really liked the deckbuilding aspect.

In contrast, I have logged in 7hrs total in GW2, it's total garbage.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
This thread just became very entertaining.

So what about the people who like taking the most absurdly hard things imaginable and then making them complete jokes?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

:notsureifserious:

For the record, considering me a "combatfag" is a huge misconception. I am a spreadsheetfag. Combatfags are irrationally obsessed with "challenge". Me, if a game is challenging, I am playing it wrong.

To answer your question, jrpgs (with the occasional and very partial exception of the likes of SMT) have apallingly dumbed down and mindblowingly retarded spreadsheet part, so touching them equals getting AIDS. If someone has a hard time beating 8 years old deformed cartoon girls with his 7-digital ATT and DEF values, that doesn't make them any less AIDS-ridden.
To each his own, at least I agree with you that the actual dungeon design of the JRPGs is not their strongest suit (although Phantasy Star is a very strong contender)
It is like international couisine; I happen to love french food but sometimes I just want a plain old spanish tortilla or a hamburger; putting tags on which is best depends to ne entiretly on what I crave, and if you dont like JRPGs the finest ones are probably not going to change your mind anyway. Me, I have expectations on what I want and either I dont have any taste at all or my taste is simply more varied than most and I can enjoy things for what they are not what I wanr them to be...this comes from the renowned #1 Grimoire fanboi too (the ultimate retro hardcore gridpaper, combat and awesun faggotry in da universe)
And Radokwhateverdsfuckistourname
Child please with the KKK hardcore wannabe style, why dont you now say that they should have bombed the whole damn island on WW2 or some more retarded shit?

Replayed the late 90s - early 00s classics, most often with mods, every year or so. I mean Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Jagged Alliance 2, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Gothic 2 with NotR, and some others. Never replayed BG 1 & 2, still need to remedy it. Played NWN1 mods, there were ton of great ones. Also played a flawed gem - 7.62, aka 7.62: High Calibre. In 2007 played and enjoyed Witcher 1. In '08 I've also played Mass Effect 1, in '09 - Dragon Age: Orgins, both were good for what they were.

Picked up PSP and run Genesis emulator on it, mostly played Shadowrun. Also Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together and Disgaea 1.

Also played MMOs EVE Online for a year or so (in 05), WoW (Vanilla), Warhammer Online (EU), then again Warhammer Online (RU), then Aion (it was shit), then tried TOR (it was, unsurprisingly, shit, though Imperial Agent and Sith Inquisitor storylines were decent to a point). Also tried AoC (it was way past its prime and sever population consisted of 30 or so very high leveled PKs). Last MMO that I seriously tried was Guild Wars 2, pretty game, but its story mode was idiotic, and the engame simply couldn't have hold my interest, especially pointless RvR which haven't had any effect on servers other then some percentage or other. After that I tried Neverwinter, and it was an abomination of nature, so after it I haven't played MMOs since.

Last edited:

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"What DID you play during the Great cRPG Drought?"

That's a good question.

Thinking back I have to say I retreated mostly to other genres(mainly strategy). Sandbox style strategy games can be played for years and years and you don't get bored (unlike RPGs). Anyways, I've played the following:

1. Europa Universalis III- Magna Mundi Mod
2. Europa Univeralis: Rome
3. Crusader Kings 2
4. ALpha Centauri (that game never gets old).
5. Star Trek Birth of the Federation
6. Capitalism 2
7. Democracy 2
8. Space Empires IV
9. SimCity 4 (I Still like it more than Cities: Skylines)
10. Heroes of Might and Magic III and some IV
11. King of the Dragon Pass (I found this on GOG and so it was new to me)
12. Eador.
13. Rome Total War
14. Victoria II
15. Master of Orion III
16. Freelancer
17. Mount & Blade (mostly with mods)
18. Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas
19. The Cat Lady

Also, the were some RPGs that helped me pass the time:

1. Fallout 3.
2. Neverwinter Nights 2
3. Inquisitor
4. Witcher 2
4. A couple of games by Jeff Vogel

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

lol bud i hate gook games too but u need to chill out a bit all he said was he played them and even if he liked them fk it some people like retard gook shit

u gotta chill out son or that blood pressure/aspergers combination is gonna kill u by the time u 40

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom