Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What DID you play during the Great cRPG Drought?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
BG, BG2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, JA 2, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Age of Wonders : Shadow Magic (with various mods), Silent Storm, Silent Storm Sentinels, NWN + expansions (and various mods), ToEE (with Co8 new content), Pool of Radiance : Ruins of Myth Drannor :oops:, Diablo + Hellfire, Diablo II + LoD, UFO extraterrestrials Gold Edition, Planescape Torment, Dark Sun I & II, Old X-Com, Wizardry 8 (sometimes with mods), WH 40K : chaos Gate...
I think that's about it.

Last edited:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Dungeons and Dragons mostly. I didn't have that much time logged in any video games then. I only found out later I didn't miss that much.

nikolokolus

Arcane
It took me awhile to get the hint that the RPG genre was fucking dead as disco after NWN2, so predictably I played all of the Bioware bullshit (DA:O, ME1, ME2) and then I fucking wised up after my play-through of DA:2. Other than that I tried Oblivion, but could never muster any enthusiasm for it after Morrowind. Skyrim was marginally better, but was really nothing more than a timesink for those precious few moments of down time I had while getting my Masters Degree. I remember Fallout New Vegas being somewhat fun, but until the Pillars of Eternity kickstarter I'd kind of lost all interest in computer gaming.

I also tried to get back into PnP, but my asshole friends were into 4th edition D&D.

Dark times this past decade.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
tl;dr: I don't think I played anything during the dark ages of decline.

My own RPG history is kinda weird which probably accounts for my unusual tastes. Nostalgia incoming.

I played a lot of the big 90s classics, a particular favorite of mine being Baldurs Gate. I have always been a nerd and interested in fantasy and stuff and I would have loved to play D&D but I didn't have any nerd friends at that time so there was really nothing I could do other than read fantasy and scifi. Suddenly there was this game with a huge world to explore, this almost mythical world I often heard about but never actually got to experience first hand. It even had companions that (sort of, kind of) simulated actually playing with friends or at least gave you the feeling of travling in a larger group and to experience adventures together. That shaped a lot of my opinions of what RPGs are or should be.

A while later I lost all interest in gaming for many years, basically (arguably) during 'the decline'. I just wasn't really interested in that shit and thought I grew out of it. Fast forward another bunch of years. For some months I was essentially unemployed (but with end in sight) and needed to kill some time. Since I deemed a new PC too expensive, I got an Xbox and needed something to play. I remembered that I always liked RPGs back in the day, so I thought it might be a good idea to check out what was hot at the time. So I got Mass Effect 1 and Oblivion.

Both games positively blew my mind, I am not ashamed to admit it. I hadn't played anything for many years and then you check the state of the art shit and before you know it you are thrown out of the cozy little isometric worlds you were used to, into these vast detailed sprawling 3D worlds. I think the huge open world, the cities and the radiant AI in Oblivion (despite all its obvious flaws, inb4 mudcrabs) as well as the hated cinematic storytelling of ME impressed me a great deal at that time.

In the long run, I noticed that certain things were not as I liked them or remembered them from older games. I disliked that I was so alone in Tamriel. Wasn't one of the best parts of BG that it simulated a party, a group of friends or likeminded adventurers that you could travel with? ME had a party and was the better for it, but it also had this garbage shooter combat that I didn't like, I remembered the tactical combat of the old games, what became of that? And where the hell did stats go? It occured to me that all the games these days seemed to be more like action games than what I considered RPGs. Fable was an action game, basically a Zelda-clone. Even independent stuff like Divinity 2 was action. Hell, Fallout 3 was a shooter.

It occured to me that somewhere along the line RPGs became what we, back in the old days, called action adventures. What the hell happened? So, since I am historically minded, I decided to go back. Still piss poor, but thankfully the Xbox360 was downwards compatible. So I played all the stuff that I missed .. I went back and played Morrowind, Kotor 1 & 2, Jade Empire.. soon I ran out of games .. that mustve been roughly around the same time I found the Codex (still a lurker back then). Not too long after, the Renaissance happened and I was happy to see that I rediscovered this genre roughly at the same time a new age arose and devs started to make games again like they used to. Party based. Story driven. Turn based. RtwP. Skills and Stats. C&C. Shit like that. Shit that should really go without saying but that was simply gone for a long time.

One thing that blew my mind about the Codex is that people were discussing and playing even way older titles, titles that were essentially the stuff of legend, mythical names like Might & Magic, Ultima and Wizardry that I had heard at one point but never really experienced myself. That encouraged me to go even further back and try that old shit, cause if they can do it, so can you. And sites like Steam and GoG make it easily possible, even for technically inept people, to aquire and play all these games. It was and still is a time of reeducation and new horizons.

I still don't really -ultimately- buy into that Codexian decline narrative, that dichotomy of old school, (indie) and decline. I am not entirely sure 'the decline' even happened. Something sure as hell happened, RPGs changed. But I like to play old games, I like to play new games, they are often fun in their own way. While many people here argue differently for whatever reason, I have seen that their steam profiles usually speak a different language, so I suppose what I am saying is not too far from the truth and I am just more honest.

Personally, I am tired of action adventures at the moment. I havent bought Witcher 3 or DA Inquision or Fallout 4 or whatever is en vogue now but I don't connect that sentiment to any kind of elitism. I simply don't care at this point in time, not with so many indies and classics waiting, but I don't blame people who do. If Tim Cain and Chris Avellone are allowed to have fun with these titles, why shouldn't we? (Likewise, not every single bug-ridden unpolished small-scoped shitty little indie is the second coming of christ.) That notion is just so hypocritical and dishonest. There are too many posters who take their mouth very full about 'shitty triple A popamoles', yet buy that shit and clock god knows how many hours into it, then shitpost about it here and how much they hated every sinlge one of these over 200 hours. Laughable.

Anyway. Not too long ago, I was basically running out of games to play, now I have way too much. I can barely follow all the newest Renaissance titles but I am also trying to catch up on a lot of classical titles which I missed out on .. meanwhile there are also other genres that may occupy me.. and life happens and there are too many games and not enough time to play them, let alone replay. And thats really a luxury problem.

I suppose I was lucky to experience the last days of RPG antiquity, then completely sleep through the dark age of decline and wake up right at the dawn of the renaissance. Either way, if it existed, the decline is over now. Just look at all the good stuff thats coming out each and every new year. I think people don't appreciate that enough. It is really the best of times.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Football Manager and Civ IV, mainly.
Silent Hunter III too.

I only started playing rpgs in 2013. Still, the "dark ages" of rpgs were painfully obvious even to an outsider like me. When I searched for good rpgs, there was an empty decade there.

PS. That Vault Dweller's review of DA2... Man, it is like VD put a lot more thought and creativity in his review, than DA2 developers put in their game.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Wasn't the Great CRPG Drought in like the early-mid 90s? Or was that the Great CRPG Crash? I can never keep these things straight.

Anyway, I spend the Drought mostly playing Civ IV, BG2, Civ IV, Morrowind, Civ IV, Fallout, and Civ IV. Every once in a while I also managed to make some time for Civ IV.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I started out with the Gothic games around 2005, went from G1 to G2 Gold and then into G3 some time after the patches, drama and rage had died down a bit.

Then I went into the only MMO I've ever played, EVE Online, and had a presence there from 2007 until 2011 or thereabouts. I also got into the Risen games.

Finally, and this is something most Codexers know by now, I got into Thief FMs in 2009 and have barely looked back since.

To be honest, I didn't even know there had been a Great CRPG Drought until I read this thread. :/

skyst

Augur
I have such a backlog of classic games that I never really felt the drought. I didn't have my own PC until the early 2000s. Prior, I had played a few of the bigger releases, such as Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout alongside other big PC titles like Half-Life. Our PC at the time was always the family PC, which was kept in neutral territory during my childhood. As a result, I tended to play a lot more console games than PC, mostly JRPGs, shooters and survival horror because those were able to be enjoyed in privacy.

I received an expensive gaming PC, a pre-Dell buyout Alienware, as a gift upon graduating high school. I have great memories from that summer of driving around to local gaming shops and rummaging through their PC games for copies of the Icewind Dales, NWN and such. It was a fantastic summer.

Eventually, World of Warcraft came out and gobbled up all of my gaming time off and on until around 2010 (Cataclysm) when I stopped playing the game like it was a job. For as much crap as WoW can get these days, back then it was a brilliant tool for spending time 'together' with my girlfriend while school kept us hours and hours apart. We're married now and look back at the good old days of raiding long-distance fondly.

It wasn't until the dawn of digital game distribution that I acquired many of the more obscure games that I missed from the 90s and I am still working through them. Just this past summer I played Betrayal at Krondor for the first time and loved it, which inspired a journey into the writings of Raymond E. Feist. There are now 9 books of his on my shelf (though 3 were purchased out of order and will go unread for now).

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I started playing RPGs in 2009, and even if I did mourn the seeming death of the genre, I was busy playing all the games I missed back in my consoletard days to really feel it.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
fallout 3

dw after reading that i think you're retarded too

:hahyou:

Sure thing, buddy.

sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing;
irony;
cynicism
"well, it's easy to see that she got her biting sarcasm from her mother"

i wasn't being sarcastic about you being a retard though incase that confused you aswell

Howdy

Fucked, smoked, read all of Ellroy, Chandler, Di Lillo, Ballard, Borges. Collected records, partied. And 5000+ hours of Football Manager. Where did it all go wrong.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I played shit games that still gave me fun, and rage-quit a whole lot of them.
Two Worlds and it's sequel, along with the Risen games were great at giving me a tiny Iota of what I was missing from past games. despite being awful they were some of the only games that gave me what i was looking for beyond story *obviously not a selling point for these guys* Played all the immersive sims from Bioshock to Dishonoured, tried lots of jrpgs but quit them all. I think FF12 was the only jrpg in 10 years that i've finished. Also replayed a lot of shit with mods -- deus ex, morrowind, fuckton of nwn modules...
and hella Dragons Age. it scratched the itch without feeling either shitty or great.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Didn't really feel like a drought to be honest. I kept playing whatever was released by Bioware and Obsidian, come to think of it I played all of the games by these 2, or at least all the Bio ones until DAO. Gave up on Bethesda after Oblivion, not counting a brief (like, 30 minutes) trial with FO3. Started an Ultima marathon that got interrupted halfway through when I moved to another continent. Replayed a ton of oldies, I remember going through all the Gold Box games for one, and especially after 2011 when I got my Roland modules and wanted to re-experience them in all their glorious sound. I had my usual yearly QFG runs. I think the most noticeable change in my playing is that I started playing a LOT of contemporary FPS, and ended up going through a lot of really shit ones as a result. It's very noticeable because, for the past couple of years, I haven't been doing this anymore thanks to having new games in another genre that I actually want to play.

Dorateen

Arcane
NWN2 -> this includes expansions, modules, and working in the toolset
Knights of the Chalice
Swords & Sorcery: Underworld
Demise: Ascension (I did not play the original Demise or Mordor circa 2000, so with the addition of the expansion it was like a whole new game and saw me through to the end of the drought.)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Besides, there were already a billion CRPGs released and widely available on the internet anyway, unless you are some super aficcionado you had plenty of them to play during those times of draught.

Azarkon

Arcane
There was never a drought of CRPGs. There was a drought of turn-based CRPGs but they were still being made. On the other hand, there still are very few turn-based AAA CRPGs, so you could say that AAA turn-based CRPGs never came back. In terms of AAA titles, though, the biggest death for me was actually shoot'em ups, as they just don't make AAA shoot'em ups these days. CRPGs never suffered that fate due to Bioware, Bethesda, and Obsidian.

As for RTS games... The drought of new games there is a bigger change to the industry than CRPGs ever were. I don't think there has been an AAA RTS that wasn't a sequel for a decade.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be honest I never felt the decline.
I had an older PC throught the 90s so I mostly replayed Darklands, Wizardry 7, Gold Box games, X-Com, Master of Magic (maybe my favorite strategy game still) Quest for Glory series, Ultimas and Might and Magic 3-5 as well as as many JRPG I could get (Squaresoft mostly but a few beloved classics like Lunar) so by the time I managed to get my hands on a proper gaming PC on 2002 (almost exclusively to play Morrowind and Freedom Force) I had a HUGE backlog of classic games I never got to play.
So I played Baldurs Gate, Planescape, Icewind Dale, Gothic 2, Fallouts (yes later on even 3) System Shock 2, Thief games, Wizardry 8, Warcraft 3, a whole lot of Strategy (Total War games and later Dawn of War) and too much Unreal Tournament 2004 and Call of Duty (before it was console crap) that was a pretty good time... Then I got out of college and had to get a job so
Later I got into the KOTORs, Witchers, Bloodlines, XCOM, etc
Between that and a few consoles like NCAA football, Red Dead and the Metal Gears, I basicaly I always had something cool to play so I never felt the Decline
Hell I even have some pretty good oldies I never got to play still waiting for me like Jagged Alliance, Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout Tactics and the new wave of Incline games like Divinity Original Sin, Underrail, etc

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
There was never a drought of CRPGs. There was a drought of turn-based CRPGs but they were still being made. Even that was nothing resembling the RTS drought, but on par with the short-lived adventure games drought. On the other hand, there still are very few turn-based AAA CRPGs. In terms of AAA titles, though, the biggest death for me was actually shoot'em ups, as they just don't make AAA shoot'em ups these days. CRPGs never suffered that fate due to Bioware, Bethesda, and Obsidian.
It's not like those types of games benefit much from AAA budgets. I don't know how you can even run out of those games anyway, shmup oughta be the most populated genre of videogames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom