Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Yesterday I finished Fallout for the first time (yup). One of the best games I have ever played - no surprise there I guess. I think The Glow was my favorite part/location, so much mystery and that soundtrack. Whole game was such a unique experience.

And right now I'm playing grinding in World of Tanks (playing for free). Started few days ago.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Killed Uber Diablo for the annhilus charm today. Way easier than i expected it to be, but at least he was mildly threatening like hell mode diablo when you first encounter him. Working myself up to trying the Pandemonium event. fighting uber diablo, baal, mephisto at the same time could be interesting.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Yesterday I finished Fallout for the first time (yup). One of the best games I have ever played - no surprise there I guess. I think The Glow was my favorite part/location, so much mystery and that soundtrack. Whole game was such a unique experience.

And right now I'm playing grinding in World of Tanks (playing for free). Started few days ago.
Funny how people tend to like the Glow. For me, the game hyped the danger so much, i ate some drugs and speed rushed the place. This sense of urengcy was killing my "explore the mysteries" urge. I still got everything, but could not enjoy it properly because of rushing.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Computer crash wiped my HD clean. Re-installed a few of my old favs (Thief, Deus Ex, Homeworld, SS2, The Last Express) together with Metro: LL (which I almost finished and now need to restart) in addition to Mass Effect for a final (and first) total playthrough of the trilogy. CKII will be added as soon as TPATT gets a new version.

Am contemplating adding the original Witcher and a Doom game to the list. Shit should keep me busy for awhile.

Just finished Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. Reached during day and specifically waited until it's dark to play it. :lol: And good thing I did, things like this do work a lot better during night. Definitely the most memorable level in the game, was even somewhat scary for first few minutes. Even after, the atmosphere was really strong and the sound design was yummy as usual per Thief. Loved the way zombie "guards" looked and moved, positioned myself in shadows right next to one to observe him for a while.
By the way - was I able to enter Cradle memory right from the start by locking myself in the cage, without needing to fetch any of patient's favorite toys? Question to someone who might've tried it on replay. It sure was easier to navigate memory mode as yourself, using gadgets on staff and all.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Command Ops. It's just one of these games that tend to eat up most of one's gaming time when one gets into it.

Operation Flashpoint with the Wh40k mod.

Repressed Homosexual
I felt like replaying Tactics Ogre, on PSOne. I definitely think it's the best version, the PSP version's translation is too overly flowery, it's been incredibly nerfed, the new content is not interesting and feels out of Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (it's made by the same team), you have too many chances to revive your characters, pooled inventory ruins the sense of danger and strategy, the gameplay system punishes experimentation and class change, the new character art is not as good...

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Finished my replay of PS:T.

Also playing PES 5 and CK2. Went from being the king of Ireland and one of the rising powers in Europe to being nobody in like two years after a couple of sudden deaths and a civil war, losing the crown in the process. Having more than one son sucks after you die. Now I'm an imprisoned 7-year-old duchess who still has three counties and a claim on the throne but little else.

Starting Anachronox next, I think.

circ

Arcane
Finished my replay of PS:T.

Also playing PES 5 and CK2. Went from being the king of Ireland and one of the rising powers in Europe to being nobody in like two years after a couple of sudden deaths and a civil war, losing the crown in the process. Having more than one son sucks after you die. Now I'm an imprisoned 7-year-old duchess who still has three counties and a claim on the throne but little else.

Starting Anachronox next, I think.
Good luck with the slowest goddamn combat in any game ever.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Started Anachronox. Only played it for a couple of hours so far, but with some games you just instantly know that you're going to like them, and this game's definitely one of those. Maybe it's because I've got a soft spot for detective stories and atypical RPG settings, but the game grabbed me pretty much instantly. The writing and the characters seem pretty cool, humour is funny and the game world is interesting, which gets you pretty far in this type of a game, I guess. Still, I just can't understand some things about the game. It's a PC-only game, yet you have a pretty terrible and unintuitive console UI, gigantic font size, largely unconfigurable controls, save checkpoints (not necessarily a bad thing, especially as manual saving is still an option, but it just feels odd)... Even if you were influenced by JRPGs, why would you do that? The combat animations are too long (kind of worrying when you're still only shooting things with a pistol and not summoning hordes of space dragons or something) and the camera should be just nailed to one place instead of being all over the place during combat. For a "turn-based" game the combat also seems to be pretty... twitchy? And finally, enemies appearing out of nowhere and instantly initiating combat fucking blows. I would say that putting something like that in your game should result in a death sentence, but I won't because that already kind of happened to Anachronox and it's pretty sad.

Overall, it seems like a pretty cool game, just takes some time to get over the culture shock. I need to play it some more before being able to comment more on the actual gameplay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a PC-only game, yet you have a pretty terrible and unintuitive console UI, gigantic font size, largely unconfigurable controls, save checkpoints (not necessarily a bad thing, especially as manual saving is still an option, but it just feels odd)... Even if you were influenced by JRPGs, why would you do that?

If I recall correctly JRPGs were at the height of their Western popularity around the time Anachronox was heading into development. I always assumed it was an attempt to capture those dollars on the PC with a Western story and visual style.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Played Wofenstein 2009, I was bored, desiring to play an FPS and as a fan of Raven because of Jedi Outcast, Hexen and etc., I was curious to see if it was as bad as people said. I expected the worst and in the end was surprised by it, I expected a Call of Duty clone and got something much better. It have the major sins of modern shooters (regenerating health and linear, kinda small levels) but instead of corridors you fight on arenas(that kinda hides the linearity) that many times have eviroment hazards, machineguns nests, energy shields and a great variety of enemies that coupled with powers like slow time and penetrating rounds make spreading chaos and exploding everything fun. It could be that I'm completely partial to games with slow time mechanics but slaghter nazis in slow motion never gets old. The special forces nazis are all unique and kinda challenging too, I raged many times for those motherfucker jet pack soldiers that exploded me to bits before I was even aware of what was happening and those creepy completely invisible assassin dudes that cut me in half so easily and those mage dudes that reflected my bullets to me and made everyone invulnerable. If this game didn't had regenerating health (that makes everything so easy) and bigger maps it could be easily three times more fun, the way it is, it is a solid fun shooter that could had been so much better . You can see that Raven still has what it takes to make a good FPS but modern FPS conventions are way too hard to avoid if you want to sell anything to a modern audience. I just hope that the new wolfenstein improve upon this game instead of making a CoD clone.

anus_pounder

Arcane
It's a PC-only game, yet you have a pretty terrible and unintuitive console UI, gigantic font size, largely unconfigurable controls, save checkpoints (not necessarily a bad thing, especially as manual saving is still an option, but it just feels odd)... Even if you were influenced by JRPGs, why would you do that?

If I recall correctly JRPGs were at the height of their Western popularity around the time Anachronox was heading into development. I always assumed it was an attempt to capture those dollars on the PC with a Western story and visual style.

It worked, imo. Anachronox is definitely one of the best JRPGs I've played. :troll:

:? Might as well replay it myself.

Quilty

Magister
Dicking around in Black Shark 2 and Silent Hunter 5. Trying out the new mod that allows aircraft carriers to launch airplanes if you are detected, which then come and look for you to fuck you up. As if the modded AI wasn't brutal enough already...

DeepOcean

Arcane
I just hope that the new wolfenstein improve upon this game instead of making a CoD clone.

I'm hoping for a Riddick clone, considering the dev team.

A Riddick clone would be cool but their E3 presentation made me worried. It could be typical E3 BS but awesome car sequence and setpiece where advanced dog robots get stuck on debris while you move slowly in corridors of debris conveniently left by explosion didn't impressed me at all.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Playing Mortal Kombat, got released on steam yesterday and realized I don't have any fighting games on the PC yet. Pretty fun, although I'm traditionally terrible at fighting games. Button mashing ftw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom