Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Brimruk

Educated
Playing through Geneforge 1 with mixed feelings. On one hand it's a refreshing setting and story and running around with my army of genetic freaks is pretty fun, but on the other the combat is shitty at times and it suffers from the same problem as the Eschalon games: long, boring stretches of generic desert/forest/whatever with nothing in it except more enemies that give no experience. Also it apparently has ~80 areas total? o_O Fuck...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
IWD. 3 char party. fighter, fighter/thief, fighter/mage/cleric. it's pretty fun. I've been playing it for quite a bit.
my BG2 playthrough still on hold until I get home to my apartment, which is whenever I feel like it, but probably in 2-3 weeks.

Might start playing Anachronox, KoDP or Alone in the Dark as I bought them all from gog today.

Done with Thief 3. Overall it was a decent Thief game, definitely don't regret playing it. Any person who loved the first two should play it once as well. However, thanks to its many annoyances, I don't see myself ever coming back to replay it.

bonescraper

Playing Mortal Kombat, got released on steam yesterday
Too bad it's another shitty port. While the game runs perfectly fine on my system, people are reporting many performance/stability issues. My main concerns are different though. There is no 16:10 support, you can't rebind keyboard controls for the menus (and the default ones are plain awful), and all the story cinematics are awfully compressed which results in shitty audio and video quality. Oh, and apparently the game is region locked too.

It's a shame really, because otherwise it's the best fighting game in years.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Playing Mortal Kombat, got released on steam yesterday
Too bad it's another shitty port. While the game runs perfectly fine on my system, people are reporting many performance/stability issues. My main concerns are different though. There is no 16:10 support, you can't rebind keyboard controls for the menus (and the default ones are plain awful), and all the story cinematics are awfully compressed which results in shitty audio and video quality. Oh, and apparently the game is region locked too.

It's a shame really, because otherwise it's the best fighting game in years.

Runs fine on mine as well, but played 1 game online and noticed it was slow as fuck. Imagine it slows it down to the slowest computer playing, or online is just unoptimized. My 360 controller works but it's an inaccurate piece of shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A Riddick clone would be cool but their E3 presentation made me worried. It could be typical E3 BS but awesome car sequence and setpiece where advanced dog robots get stuck on debris while you move slowly in corridors of debris conveniently left by explosion didn't impressed me at all.

They would show the most linear shooting part at E3, so there's still a chance it's more interesting. I believe in interviews they said it was a similar game to Riddick and Darkness.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Been replaying my Baldurs Gate complete playthrough. Finally I managed to actually reach the city of Baldurs Gate without losing interest in the game, and it starts to get better. Will also do the Ulgots Beard quests now. Really liking it so far. Will probably replay IWD I & II after that.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I remember being bored to death by Myst back in the day and wondering why people thought it was any good, but I also wonder why people think 'point-and-click' adventure games are good as well. Perhaps it is their quirky nature that inspires curiosity and their strangely beautiful settings. Perhaps I just don't have the patience to decode a game's arbitrary logic in order to bypass shit puzzles.

Kahlis

Cipher
The Myst series basically defined my childhood. I think to that series alone I attribute my love of mystery, world building, intricate machinery and verbose first person monologues. One of those series so magical that I can't succinctly pitch it to anybody without breaking down and just spouting off random things - "journals! muh atmosphere! ridiculously elaborate lore and the explaining away of artistic licensing via fan email correspondence with the developers!"

I have to agree with Spellcaster. I never found the games boring, and being constrained to a first person clicky perspective effectively means that that virtually all data for solving puzzles can only really be derived from what is observable on the (finite number of) screens. Uru, by contrast, I found to be a lot less intuitive - I may have just been really impatient with that game, but I felt that the third person 3D format also made it a lot less certain as to what was important to communicate to the player.

But in the earlier games, you just have to take notes on an inordinate amount of stuff and it will all be used sooner or later. Then Myst IV came along and added horrible timing sequences and, near the end,

that bullshit memory color-matching puzzle. :(

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Just played through Durlags Tower in BG1 for the first time and man was it a ride. Cool puzzles, varied encounter design, pretty challenging fights and even some nice backstory. It's a damn shame BioWare turned into such a shit after such cool games.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Myst got a lot of hate after its release because people were baited by the graphics, only to find that the game wasn't an actiony or more traditional title. You can clearly see the opinions from that time echoing around to this day
o_O Myst was the most critically acclaimed AND best selling CD game back in 1993-1994. Hell it pretty much single-handedly got people to buy CD drives on their PCs when it got ported there. Every game mag worth mentioning gave it full scores, everyone who played it loved it. The hate only came later with the deluge of really shitty Myst clones, then everyone forgot about those when Riven came out and was even more beloved than Myst. The hatred came much later, from people who blamed Myst's pretty graphics for the decline of the puzzle/adventure genre that was seen in the shitty clones, and who wrongfully blamed Myst for the failings of its clones. It's a completely different situtation from say Phantasmagoria, which was both the FMV game that popularized the entire genre and also a very very shitty game in its own right.

Kahlis

Cipher
Have you read the book(s)?
I'm still waiting for the Book of Marrim...

I only own paperback copies. I was so disappointed as a kid, because the hardcover ones seemed to practically have the dimensions of a linking book.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Myst got a lot of hate after its release because people were baited by the graphics, only to find that the game wasn't an actiony or more traditional title. You can clearly see the opinions from that time echoing around to this day
o_O Myst was the most critically acclaimed AND best selling CD game back in 1993-1994. Hell it pretty much single-handedly got people to buy CD drives on their PCs when it got ported there. Every game mag worth mentioning gave it full scores, everyone who played it loved it. The hate only came later with the deluge of really shitty Myst clones, then everyone forgot about those when Riven came out and was even more beloved than Myst. The hatred came much later, from people who blamed Myst's pretty graphics for the decline of the puzzle/adventure genre that was seen in the shitty clones, and who wrongfully blamed Myst for the failings of its clones. It's a completely different situtation from say Phantasmagoria, which was both the FMV game that popularized the entire genre and also a very very shitty game in its own right.

Fuck that game in the ass. After growing up with Quest series from Sierra, Myst is everything I hated in the adventure genre.
Good fucking riddance.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just dislike actual puzzles in adventure games. As in a machine to figure out or whatever. I just like clicking use monkey on everything until it actually works, I guess.

Anyway I finished Risen 2 and it was alright. I tried to play Jade Empire but mehhhh. I ended up playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein through to Death's Head, will finish at some point. Love that game fuck the haters.

I hate MMOs but I decided to give TOR another shot since it's so story focused and free now. It is what it is, I get some enjoyment from it. As much as it is boring and rather unimportant shit I do hope there is a way to get that story stuff once the game shuts down.

Shadowrun Returns should be out not long after I bore of stupid MMO quests.

titus

Arcane
Patron
Dicking around in Black Shark 2 and Silent Hunter 5. Trying out the new mod that allows aircraft carriers to launch airplanes if you are detected, which then come and look for you to fuck you up. As if the modded AI wasn't brutal enough already...

How is SH5 these days? I remember that it was fubar at release date. Have they fixed it yet?

Quilty

Magister
Dicking around in Black Shark 2 and Silent Hunter 5. Trying out the new mod that allows aircraft carriers to launch airplanes if you are detected, which then come and look for you to fuck you up. As if the modded AI wasn't brutal enough already...

How is SH5 these days? I remember that it was fubar at release date. Have they fixed it yet?

I've been having a blast with it for a long time now. It was broken on release, but it has been fixed since then.

However, most people are put off by the fact that there are no megamods yet, so assembling your own mod list is a necessity, though some users have done really good guides so it's not that difficult (Best place to start: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192374 ). I actually prefer it this way because this way I can control which mods I want to use, and it's really not that hard to get a hang of installing mods. Be warned that using lots of mods can apparently use a lot of memory. I currently run the game on a PC with 8 gigs of RAM and it's been smooth sailing, no CTD.

New improvements are being made almost daily. It already has a really brutal AI, a good campaign mod, an excellent and incredibly user-friendly (and user-moddable) UI mod. What's best is the .exe patcher that the user called TheDarkWraith has been developing for a long time now. He keeps adding new patches to the game, some of which have enabled wolfpacks, independent engine controls, stationary ships in bases radioing for aircover in case they detect a submarine, carriers that can actually launch airplanes who then search for you and other really cool features previously non-existent in the SH games. You can read about it here (just scroll down): http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1621039&postcount=1

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Finished Defiance.

Jesus Christ jumping on a pogo stick, was that game friggin bad. And to think there are people out there who say that Blood Omen 2 is the worst in the series.

But at least now I have the whole series beaten, for better or for worse.

Apart from that, started Gray Matter, currently on day2 and it seems cool so far. Cost only 5 bucks and came with soundtrack so I figured I might as well check it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom