Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
dungeon siege 3

You know bro, you are kinda asking for those long-ass spam q fights if you don't have the gatling musket ability and don't use the crit/damage buffs :M

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't worry, I fixed the game with the uninstall mod already.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Been playing more Anachronox. This game is awesome despite being full of minigames and piss-easy combat. I've played it for about 15 hours according to my save file, and I haven't been even close to dying since the first or the second fight of the game. Press a button and the enemies eventually die. The minigames have definitely been the most challenging part about the game so far.

Anyway, I love the characters, the humour and the setting. The game hits just the right spots for me, and it reminds me of Outcast and Giants: Citizen Kabuto despite having a quite different tone to them. That type of quirky humour just seems to have gone extinct in games.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Been playing more Anachronox. This game is awesome despite being full of minigames and piss-easy combat. I've played it for about 15 hours according to my save file, and I haven't been even close to dying since the first or the second fight of the game. Press a button and the enemies eventually die. The minigames have definitely been the most challenging part about the game so far.

Anyway, I love the characters, the humour and the setting. The game hits just the right spots for me, and it reminds me of Outcast and Giants: Citizen Kabuto despite having a quite different tone to them. That type of quirky humour just seems to have gone extinct in games.
One of the best games ever made. If Tom Hall and Anachronox 2 finds it way to Kickstarter I might actually open my wallet for that one.

Keshik

Arcane
Strike Suit Zero. Is an enjoyable arcade shooter, battles are fairly hectic and bright (perhaps a bit too bright for my taste) and is fun to tear through things in the mecha-mode. Worth the $10 I paid for it at any rate. Decent soundtrack on it as well, done by Paul Ruskay and you can hear the similarities to some of the tracks from Homeworld.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
So GTA4 makes you sign up for Rockstar Social Club when you try to play it. The worrying part about trying the nickname "EroticDad" was not that it was already taken - it was the suggested alternatives.

KrqXvkZ.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I almost fell off my chair laughing when I got to this part:
So if I do those, only in the right order, absolutely nothing visible or audible will happen but another utterly disconnected location 15 minutes away will now have a new pixel that I can click on.
So let me get this straight: the guy's a non-gamer, a moron who cannot make a connection even when the game hits him on the head with it, who doesn't see visible animations right in front of him on the screen, and who clearly had the sound turned off... and he's complaining about Myst fans because they're non-gamers. Lulz.
I don't care if any of it is Myst's fault
TBH he should've just stopped there.

Oh I just noticed it's John Walker. Double-lulz.

Resident Evil 4. Game started out decent enough; a zombie (not quite though) survival horror meets Deliverance/Straw Dogs. Fighting your way off from hordes of some los pueblos hillbillies with pitchforks and torches with only a couple of bullets, forcing the player to seek shelter, barricade the doors and windows and kick down ladders, was generally alright at first. Some traits of "Japanese school of horror" are easily noticeable, at least to a degree, such as atmospheric approach to some of the "scares", weird characters seemingly out of place who come and go, with many notes scattered around etc. It quickly went full derp, though. I guess where "Japanese horror" ends, Resident Evil begins. The story is probably serviceable enough, if plain and fully predictable, but oh my, the writing and dialogues are abysmal, truly horrible. By no means I expected a Silent Hill level of storytelling, but it's so obnoxiously bsb (hello, I'm evul villain and I'll gladly explain all my motivations and plans here! muahaha kill him my minions while I'll take my leave again and again) and retarded... I mean, entering the old Spanish castle with lava pools and zombies blasting cannons at walls, AA cannons in some ballroom and rocket launchers, castellan of which is some annoying midget cracking dry jokes to the protagonist, what the fuck:lol:.

What I like about this game is the balance. There are relatively lots of weapons to blast hundreds of enemies with, each one of them with its pros and cons, and valuable at the very least in a certain situation. Resources are rare and nothing is really useless. You can upgrade your equipment at the certain creepy merchant; and at the same time you don't feel cheated by the time new equipment is introduced because it's still useful or at least easily replaceable. The flow of "Ptas" is steady but makes you choose your purchases wisely. Ammunition is rare enough to encourage making every shot count, not the easiest feat considering the shooting mechanics, sway and enemy movements etc., which nicely rewards the player and his skill.

DramaticPopcorn

Playing Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and boy oh boy is this game addictive. Each scenario is a mad race to learn EVERY spell, just like in MoM days... Computer enemies are quite dull, though and making alliances is only useful if you don't want to fight every enemy to win.

Xeon

Augur
Arabian Nights (SNES). Encounter rate is ridiculous I can't take five steps without getting an encounter. I might use cheats to try and disable or decrease the encounter rate.

Emerald Dragon (SNES) Thanks to yes plz's recommendation on the old JRPG thread.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
LA Noire is actually a pretty nice atmospheric "interactive story" game. Getting the perfect rating can be quite tricky at times.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bad Mojo for the first time.

What a disgusting game, probably more than controversial titles of the nineties. Crawling as a cockroach through the toilet, bar, kitchen (dead fishes and intestines, yummy), dead bugs everywhere, garbage. But on the other hand it's so unique approach, that keeps me interested. "How to climb to that?". After a while you start getting used to it, thinking like a little insect, passing through the dangerous world of rats, spiders, and human "traps".

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Finished Anachronox.

I expected the ending to be FFFUUUU based on what I've heard, but it was actually pretty cool. The lack of a sequel, however, is not. Great game, and it kept on delivering all the way until the end.

Since I said the game was easy, here's a list of all the combat encounters where I died in the game (spoilers, obviously):

1. The second fight in the game, I think, against two thugs. I found out that the pistol is crap. Threw a bindlebag the next time, it got the job done.

2. Rictus. This fight was only hard because I had such a shitty party, Democratus being the only one that was capable of doing any actual damage while Sly and Bowman were pretty much completely useless. I probably would've won this battle on the first try, but I accidentally used my last Timeminder Tear on Sly instead of Democratus, who would've needed only two or three attacks to finish the fight. Well, he... it... died and I was left with the two other clowns with their patheticly weak weapons. Oh well.

3. Some random fight right before Rictus. After dying to Rictus I reloaded my previous save and went into this with my brain shut off. Didn't work that well.

4. The wimpa. The large wimpa has an attack which takes away more than half of your health, no save. Time your attack wrong and he'll be able to attack you two times in a row. Do the math. Died twice here.

5. The Sagen Kra. I discovered that the nasty ones have attacks that cause serious damage to your whole party, and if they all get an attack at the same time, they'll bring your party from full health to TPK instantly. The fight was easy one I knew this.

6. The last Detta fight. Died twice here, fortunately no more than that. This was the first time when the game's combat system kind of started to piss me off. Thank god I found the fast-forward button, because otherwise I'd still be playing this. This fight just felt agonizingly long, starting with a lengthy cutscene, continuing with a pretty easy fight, another cutscene and then a second fight. The first couple of stages were really easy since Detta couldn't deal that much damage at once, but then he started to use some heavier MysTech with like 30-second animations. Like in the wimpa fight, if the enemy gets two attacks in a row, it's bye bye, except that this fight is much, much longer and you have to time the actions of two characters. Basically I just spammed healing items and tried to micromanage my actions so that I'd always get the next action after Detta's turn, waiting for Sly's Cap skill to recharge. One mistake and you got to do it all over again.

7. The final fight against whaddafuk, died twice. Not a hard fight but an annoying one. The combat system just doesn't work that well when fighting multiple opponents, because then it just gets so damn slow and you feel like you have no control over what's happening when the camera's just flying all over the place. I fast-forwarded a lot in this fight, which resulted in some bad timing: both deaths were a result of the enemies getting like twenty attacks in a row before I could do anything, one of those attacks being the "fuck you" attack by the big bad himself that causes 1500 damage to everyone. For an end boss this was still remarkably easy once you figure out what you have to do.

And this was on the hardest difficulty. It's probably one of the easiest if not the easiest "RPG" I've ever played, but I think it might've been harder had I not found certain pieces of equipment. For example, Sly Boots was the most useless character in my party for a long time until he found a gun from the most random place in the universe. That instant he turned totally awesome, and a couple of special attacks later he was pretty much completely overpowered. This applies to many of the other characters as well: a new weapon or ability makes or breaks them, and this stuff almost always lies in completely random places. There wasn't a lot of interesting stuff to buy either, so you could spend all of your money on healing items and end up with a practically endless cache of them.

I didn't use the elementor all, never felt a need for it. Should I have? For a seemingly very important thing it sure was easy to forget about quickly.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've decided to play through all the original Megaman games. (I only ever owned 2 when I was a kid, didn't play them again till the X series.)

It's funny, people always talk about how megaman had awesome tight controls, but it really doesn't. If you compare it to castlevania, the jumping is nice sure, but walking? You move like a greased pig on ice. And the tendency of the game to lag when you get hit or just shot at in general makes a lot of dodges really weird and unintuitive, because you need to hold the jump button twice as long as you'd expect to based on the trajectory because of the lag, or start the jump earlier, etc.

Also, the weaknesses in the first two are hilarious. Iceman is a fucking god unless you have elec man to 3 shot him (He 3 shots you too, and his attack is nearly impossible to dodge), cutman gets 2 shot by guts man, and Gutsman's weakness seems to be the regular shot. Then in 2, of the 8 robot masters, at least 4 of them are weak to metal man, including metalman himself, who gets two shot by his own weapon. Then like two thirds of all the wily stage bosses are weak to metalman as well. Also, the boss you need to kill with crash man is fucking evil. I never got past it as a kid. It's designed so that the only ways to kill it are either killing multiple parts with each bomb (which is harder than it sounds) or to go in, kill the walls, die, spend like 15 minutes farming very slowly respawning enemies to refill the weapon energy, then go back to kill the boss.

Now I'm on to 3-6, most of which I've never played or even seen before.

Ice Man is easy, he's the only boss with something resembling a pattern. Fire Man is the retarded spastic one, with bullets that leave random pillars of fire in your way. Good luck getting past that thing without spamming his weakness.

Oh yeah, and after you go through that turret boss in 2 you have to defeat the last Wily machine with the shittiest weapon in the game, as he's invulnerable to everything else. If you run out of ammo for that one weapon, you'll have to let him kill you so you can farm ammo in the stage. GREAT DESIGN GUISE THATS A REALLY ADEQUATE ENDING FOR A GAME THAT REVOLVES AROUND COLLECTING COOL WEAPONS

At least the comic had fun with it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Actually it's more fucked than that. After the turret boss is the boss rush- where you can't get any weapon energy at all. Fortunately, metalman rapes. But then you get to the 2 part wily fight; and the second half is weak to crash bombs. Which you are out of. TROLLOLOL. So you can't beat that form easily (and by easily I mean that shit is near impossible without crash bombs) until you lose ALL your lives so you can restart the stage and get the weapons refilled. Then you go to the real last stage, where you fight the floating alien hologram thing with the shittiest weapon in the game. (Well, arguably heatman's weapon is worse, you get like 2 shots at full power and it does shit damage to everything) and the stage right before it has no enemies, so if you somehow run out (You do get like a billion shots and the pattern is super easy) you again have to lose ALL your lives and continue to get weapons restocked.

Iceman is just pure bullshit. Fireman is about equally as hard to dodge, but he takes like 8 shots to kill you, not 2 and a half. Iceman's pattern is to fire a shot high, mid, then low. You need to wait the first two shots then jump over the third- but it's pretty much a fucking frame perfect jump. With elec man, you can kill him so fast he never gets the third shot off. Without elec man, he's easily one of the hardest bosses I could imagine. Dracula was a cakewalk compared to that shit. If you can actually beat iceman with the bust you're probably the kind of person that can kill elecman without ever letting him attack.

tindrli

Arcane
whoever willingly decide to play Dungeon siege 3 should kill him self .. twice...

playing
prospector 0.2.4.

Zegmr6.png

just cant believe that the project is abandoned..

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing Borderlands 2 and have mixed feelings about this game, there are three things Borderlands 2 do right: some interesting level design, getting new loot with alot of different properties can be addictive and there is alot of different and dangerous enemies that have different behavior(It is fun to watch a Goliath killing all his budies after being shot in the head, for example). But, there is three thing Borderlands 2 do wrong: The humor is juvenile shit (sorry, watching a crazy 13 year old whose parents were murdered eletrocuting a bandit isn't funny but bad taste), it is padded (the car is a gimmick that makes you waste time and really not necessary if there was enough fast travel stations), the difficulty curve is really strange (the game is piss easy to the point of causing boredom at the beginning especially as enemies are blind and can't shoot anything at long range, but at the end and in higher difficulty modes it become so easy to be one/two shoted that sniping become the only viable alternative if you don't want to see the fight for your life screen all the time). I'm having fun with it, mostly because the level design is kinda interesting and varied and getting guns with bigger numbers is pleasing but as a shooter is not all that great.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Dragon Quest.

The Super Famicom remake with the second game. I'm using the Dragon Warrior version of the translation patch, but wish I used the other one.

I like it, because I am very tired.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Episodes from Liberty City

Who the fuck designed this port? Next to Saints Row 2 it's the worst performance I've ever seen. After two hours of tweaking and file editing, I've managed to get it to run more or less decently if I don't do anything too strenuous like moving the camera or driving. If I drive for more than a couple of minutes, it slows to a choppy slideshow for a minute or two and I have to stop trying to load new things and pat it on the back until it recovers. Jesus. I know, I know, I should have a quad core, but really.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Holy crap, the caverns beneath the dragon's lair in Avadon are nothing short of a torture chamber when you're underleved (on hard, at least). I've cleared more than half of them already, and it's been one intense ride. Not sure if I can clear them out fully with my resources already running too low; wretched imps are a pain when there are just so many of them. Damn.

Glad to see Vogel still has it in him when he feels like it. Too bad the main quest is so bland and ridiculously easy, even on hard. (So far, at least.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom