Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Command Ops. Set up a tank battle of 1860 tanks + infantry division vs 1860 tanks + infantry division.

Tripicus

Augur
Started playing Rogue Legacy. A rogue-like metrovania is what I think they're calling it. With how the legacy works I'm not sure how much replay you will get out of the game after beating it once. Although I know I'll have hell of a time reaching that point.

EmoBunny

Savant
I'm loving the fuck out of Out of the Park 14 Baseball Manager.

Considering starting an lp with a baseball team consisting of codexers.

Started playing Rogue Legacy. A rogue-like metrovania is what I think they're calling it. With how the legacy works I'm not sure how much replay you will get out of the game after beating it once. Although I know I'll have hell of a time reaching that point.

How is it? The steam forums consist of people who say they need a tutorial to know how to move the character.

edit: destructoid review is favorable, and the writer doesn't seem to be retarded. Hmmm.

Just finished SS2. Holy fuck that was awesome. The last boss in the body of the many was tough with all those rumblers and psi reavers chasing you, but the actual last boss was kind of easy. Fun ending though, and what an amazing game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Rogue Legacy...

It's really good; a decent mash-up of the roguelike genre and Castlevania gameplay.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Finished Fire Emblem 6, and the regular campaign of the first Advance Wars. I enjoyed both very much. I am going to keep playing Advance Wars.

Goals:
+ Get S-ranks on every war room map.
+ Finish the Advance Campaign
+ Unlock all COs

EmoBunny

Savant
I'm loving the fuck out of Out of the Park 14 Baseball Manager.
how's it compare to mogul

You can't even compare the two. OOTP has a thousand times more in terms of depth and breadth of options.
Additionally, while there is a smattering of bugs, OOTP is pretty stable and very playable, while Mogul is still waiting for a comprehensive patch this year to fix all the bugs.

Keshik

Arcane
Got GTA 4 for dirt cheap a while back, so working my through that and the DLCs as part of catch up/justifying spending money. Stuck in TLAD due to...well it not being very interesting being a dirtbag biker dude.

Also they changed Radio Vladivostok : x

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Finished my nostalgia run of Vampire: Redemption. Got the good ending of course.

God I love it.:love:

Now trying to play the Blackwell games again. I tried the first game when it came out and hated the first ten minutes of it so much I had to play the first three Leisure Suit Larry games (aka the good ones) in two sittings as an antidote kind of.

EmoBunny

Savant
Finished my nostalgia run of Vampire: Redemption. Got the good ending of course.

Now trying to play the Blackwell games again. I tried the first game when it came out and hated the first ten minutes of it so much I had to play the first three Leisure Suit Larry games (aka the good ones) in two sittings as an antidote kind of.

TO THE ABYSS WITH THEE!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Bought Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures from GOG, considering that I liked Telltale's past games and skipped out on these for some reason.

The good: they capture the tone and charm of the original films very well. There's a simple, inoffensive but still entertaining presentation to both the films and the games that is hard to deny the appeal of. It's a sort of dry wit which comes to life thanks to good comic timing, voice acting and animation. Telltale are always pretty successful at this in all their games, so it's nice to see here. Wallace has a different voice actor, but to be honest he's pretty good (much better than Sam in the Sam & Max games, by comparison) and I stopped thinking about it after a few minutes.

The issues I have with the game come down to the actual gameplay. A lot of the puzzles share the same old problem of pixel-hunting, where once you've collected all the items you can pick up, and found the things you can use them on, it becomes very obvious what to do, but actually getting to that point can sometimes be annoying. Like a lot of Telltale's games the puzzles can sometimes feel like tedious busywork once you've figured out the solution and yet are forced to watch the same cutscenes or dialogues over and over. I do like logical puzzles in adventure games, but these aren't so much difficult or clever as they are just time-consuming. Some of them are even a bit misleading - for instance, in one I had to shoot a squirrel down from a tree, but he would only fall after I had done something else completely unrelated, which meant I didn't try shooting the squirrel again for a while thinking it wouldn't work.

There's also a lot of Telltale's own humor which doesn't quite work. Most of the time it gets the tone and feel right, but there are some weird character designs and jokes which do not fit at all. The first episode (which I finished) has giant bees in it which do not look like they belong in the Wallace & Gromit universe at all, for instance, and there are some silly gags and puzzle solutions which feel like they are from a Sam & Max game instead. Hard to explain, but you'll likely notice it immediately once you actually play it.

Overall seems solid, and for $3 it's hard to complain, but they feel very much like Telltale on auto-pilot to me, just reusing the same old ideas. They do get credit for mostly nailing the presentation though.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Beat Baal on hell, 8 person difficulty, in singleplayer on my zoomancer. Only took about 45 minutes because my unlucky ass had no crushing blow shit for my merc to wear. I am not sure but I think my Gurkomancer had to town portal out and recollect pets 5 times during the battle. Shitty gear = shitty pets = long, boring waste of time.

Tripicus

Augur

How is it? The steam forums consist of people who say they need a tutorial to know how to move the character.

edit: destructoid review is favorable, and the writer doesn't seem to be retarded. Hmmm.

You probably got all the important information you needed from the reviews you've read. The notable thing for me was how death and progression is handled. Aside from killing bosses and mini-bosses, your character progression occurs between characters. You spend the gold you inherited from your ancestor on upgrades, whether it be equipment, stat upgrades, new classes, or new abilities, and lose any change left over before you enter the castle again (which is randomized each time you enter). Which I guess where this rogue-lite moniker is coming from, since you don't actually start from scratch each time. Boss deaths are permanent as well.

Some rooms, and the fairy chest challenges, can be pretty hectic at times, which are my favourite moments. I got the game to ahve something to play in short stints, but I find myself playing it in longer sessions than I expected. So you can say I'm enjoying it quite a bit. One drawback of the upgrading system is that earlier rooms become mostly cakewalks later on so there isn't much left interesting in them. But I guess this happens in metroidvania style games anyway...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vtm:R does have its fine points. Not sure what they are though.

Dialogue is... entertaining, however.

Playing some EU2 with AGCEEP, decided to start a Order of St. John game. Turks started expanding a lot but just lot a province to Venice. Interesting how maximum quality Knights in EU2 has 9000 soldier limit while in EU3 you have only 2000 lulz. So far its 1444 and I my territories are Rhodes, Cyprus (took from them with a CB I got after a event that made them vassals of the Mamluks) and recently-conquered Morea. I'm allied with Venice, Tuscany and Savoy. Albania is my vassal after I annexed it, I decided to liberate it as a vassal to deny it to the Turk and not have a land border with the turkish hordes. All my provinces are wrong culture-religion greek orthodox. My current strategy is to survive by sticking with Venice and build galleys to protect my holdings from the Ottomans and Mamluks, until I can:
a) conquer some territory easily defended through the sea.
or
b) survive and get a explorer to survey out of Europe and get me some new holdings elsewhere.

Good thing about being small is that stability repelishes very fast, so I'm thinking on using this to attack some choice targets I might not get cbs for - I'm thinking of waiting for weakness, then striking Genoa and taking Kaffa in order to get a CoT of my own. Biggest problem is that disembarking and fighting sucks, otherwise I'm sure Venetian fleet would easily allow me to do my stuff. If I get Kaffa I could try and expand on Crimea when the hordes weaken, decisions, decisions...

Tom Selleck

Arcane
There's also a lot of Telltale's own humor which doesn't quite work. Most of the time it gets the tone and feel right, but there are some weird character designs and jokes which do not fit at all. The first episode (which I finished) has giant bees in it which do not look like they belong in the Wallace & Gromit universe at all, for instance, and there are some silly gags and puzzle solutions which feel like they are from a Sam & Max game instead. Hard to explain, but you'll likely notice it immediately once you actually play it.

This is why I skipped it after I played the demo/episode demos on XBL, because it felt a little too removed from Nick Park, which I guess it would have to be, but still irked me. Maybe I'll give them a shot.

To be fair, I didn't laugh much during the new Sam & Max stuff from TT, either.

I guess the fact that I care about some guy who did plasticine doll cartoons means I should go get in a bar fight or sex a girl or ride a motorcycle into a bar, sexing a girl while riding it, using the motorcycle to fight some guy and then figuring out a way to explode the bar as I leave - with the girl inside. Something cool, I guess. Instead of the cartoons.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing Jagged Alliance Online. If I compare it JA2 (aka one of the best games of all time), it is a pice of shit. But for a f2p game it can be enjoybable for a few hours. I just miss all those features which were present in JA2.

Diablo169

Arcane
Saints Row the Third. I picked it up on steam sale like last year or something and never bothered with it. It's mindless fun for what it is. And a good reminder of what made these sorts of games fun before GTA went all fucking grimdark.

I've got Just Cause 2 never touched either so I'll likely do that next. Still waiting for a good RPG to come out.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

Owned this on GOG forever but haven't tried it yet. You're tempting me.
I am? Huh. Well, it's a third-person Diablo clone with even more awkward combat, annoying (read retarded) A.I. and a cheesy love story that you will either love or be indifferent about. The voice acting is great. It's essentially the very definition of a game that you should play for the story, only. I beat it normally when it came out but every other run has been with god mode. Quite frankly, you might want to do the same even though it's your first playthrough.

edit: GTA4 is grimdark? It's not. It's basically San Andreas without Area 51 (or was it 69 because lol?) and run through a realism filter, but it's certainly not grimdark. Sleeping Dogs is a grimdark story game. Saints Row 3 is a lulzy story game and it fails at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom