Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

laclongquan

Arcane
Try my hand at a Sengoku Rance, 5 star no house pack. Do a leisure run, so things are heating up slowly. Estimated five gourds at turn 90, which is the very limit.

Brimruk

Educated
Just finished up Eschalon I and II (that dude needs to hook up with Jeff Vogel because together they'll make a damn great game), about to start Dungeon Siege III for some reason.

Blonsky

Prophet
SW: Republic Commando, squad control system is really simple to use, but totaly useless, there is 3 guys in youre squad and most i have seen was an area with 4 cover spots, so whats the point of giving you the ability to order them to take cover if there is no real choice where to cover, also when did they add space orcs into star wars?

World of Dungeons, browser fantasy text rpg, i dont know why i keep playing this broken game, its always the same, create a character, join a group, clear some dungeons, one week later half of the group is inactive and youre getting raped in low lvl dungeons. ragequit.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I played Jade Empire for 30 minutes before I couldn't take it any more. It's just as boring as I remember it and I don't have the patience to play through all the way to the Imperial City when the game gets better. Still, it's a lot better than KOTOR. The combat is faster, and as far as the writing goes this would almost be acceptable if it weren't for the vomit-inducing BioWare wit that courses through. Also Nathan Fillion plays Bad Guy #1 or something, so that was nice. Not really a career highlight though but I'm almost prepared to blame it on BioWare after hearing many otherwise great actors give bad performances in their shit games. Also reminds me of KOTOR2 and how fucking great it is. Jade Empire's "complex open palm/closed fist philosophy" is early on explained in pseudo-Kreia fashion but of course it turns out to be bullshit and that, yes, Smiling Mountain, contrary to what you just said it actually IS as simple as good and evil! You're fucking full of shit, you retarded Buddah statue cosplayer asshole. God I wish it wasn't sunday.

Also been playing Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption. I guess you could say it's a guilty pleasure but honestly I fucking love this game. The ye olde language is amazing and the love story is sweet. Gameplay sucks but that's just the modern times talking. In 2000 this shit was, well, the shit. Oh yeah, Christof, click that rat. Click that dirty fucking rat, you dirty fucking templar.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
'Played' Metro Last Light for a bit. Chose Ranger mode because it sounded like it would make the game moderately challenging but it quickly became obvious that the mode was put in way later in the development because it disables essential fucking interface for choosing "additional" weapon (grenades/throwing knives and shit) on top of the QTE marks (took me 10 fucking tries to get past that tunnel with those leeches). Overall, I realized that I was watching animations more than actually playing the game so I uninstalled as soon as I reached that swamp boss, because I simply didn't have enough ammo to kill the fucking thing and there was no way to restart the level. Faggotry.

The game is far from perfect but this is just shit.

Sodafish

Arcane
Been playing VTM: Bloodlines again for the first time since it came out. Female Malk (first time was a male Toreador IIRC), and the crazy dialogue options often make me lol. The stealth gameplay is as hilariously wonky and game breaking as I remember though.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I finished Risen today. Solid game that unfortunately turned rather shit in the end. I didn't mind the dungeon crawling quite as much as some but the way the story and world design fell apart with the introduction of derpy chaotic evil lizardmen, awkward Legend of Zelda boss fights and significantly increased linearity, etc. was very unfortunate. There's even stuff like how the Inquisitor tells you only his ocular can see the Fire Titan, requiring you to kill him for it... only for the ocular to not be required at all and your hero is never shown wearing it. Derp.

Then there's the combat. I really, really enjoyed the semi-tactical and methodical pace to combat early on. It was tough, and rewarding to make progress. Unfortunately, to avoid the problem of HP bloat, it seems the devs decided to make all the enemies extremely lethal while also giving you weapons powerful enough to kill them in 2-3 hits. This makes the combat at the end of the game very frustrating, especially when you're fighting larger groups of enemies, because they'll constantly stunlock you and there's nothing you can do about it. Much better than the combat in other Piranha Bytes games, to be fair, but still unfortunate how it falls apart in the end.

Exploration was the high point of the game, and like all Piranha Bytes games, gaining that feeling of mastery over the world as you quest into its farthest reaches is still very strong. It's nice to play an open world game with actual level design to it, where such a huge portion of the game's appeal is in simple navigation, uncovering hidden passages, or simply enjoying a nice view that you've earned after battling your way through a bunch of tough enemies. Although, I did find the whole "every cave has a chest" thing to be a bit contrived, and I don't think every single task needed a loot reward. In fact, it led to the economy completely breaking past the first chapter.

I'm also left wondering how the game handles certain C&C elements. I noticed it's possible to outright kill several quest-critical NPCs so I have to wonder if it's possible to screw up the story, if the game simply respawns needed characters, or if it somehow blocks you from taking out the most necessary figures.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Started and finished Blades of Time today. Nice DMC clone, has only one weapon but have a nice "rewind time" mechanic that is really cool to use. A lot of people here must have it, it was as filler content in one of the humble bundles, I really recommend trying it out if you like games like DMC.

I honestly had more fun with it than with Darksiders.

Absalom

I'm playing FTL again. It could have been better, but it's still a great coffee break game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Also been playing Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption. I guess you could say it's a guilty pleasure but honestly I fucking love this game. The ye olde language is amazing and the love story is sweet. Gameplay sucks but that's just the modern times talking. In 2000 this shit was, well, the shit. Oh yeah, Christof, click that rat. Click that dirty fucking rat, you dirty fucking templar.
:love:

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
The Guilty Gear game became a snoozefest when I learned how to set multiple attacks to a single key in the commands options. Now I can pull off the 1 hit KO abilities with relative ease.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Got the classic version of Broken Sword 1 from gog because I tried the remastered one and found out it's crap. Broken Sword was one of the first games I played when I was a kid, got stuck in some middle eastern country last time I think and never finished it.

So anyways, time to finish this classic once and for all! Got to Ireland and.. what the hell is with this goat? Tried everything, did everything everywhere else but couldn't figure out how to get past that bloody goat. I did it once before but couldn't remember now. I admit, I had to google it. Fuck you game, I tried to do what the solution was, except from the other side where to goat knocks you because that side is closer to the plough and is more logical. Besides how are you supposed to know that George decides to run now of all times when he has been doing that slow walk the whole game on every other puzzle? Like when you steal that wire from the old guy in the pub, before he has the chance to notice you approaching and pocket the thing?

Ah well, I hope I don't get stuck that badly again. I need more discipline.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Command Ops. Set up a tank battle 700 vs 700 tanks. Got bored after a day and surrendered. 150 kills per side.

Ashery

Prophet
Dicking around with my second game of Space Empires IV with some AI mods after picking it up dirt cheap on Steam a couple weeks back.

Not sure if I'll actually play this game to completion, though, despite pretty much doing so on my first playthrough (All that's left is a slow grind on 20+ systems. Not expecting anymore significant fights and even glassing every planet would still take several dozen turns). The second game is only fifty turns in and I've already taken out one minor nation and managed to steal over half a dozen techs, including rock planet colonization (500k tech cost. Most projects are around 50k by this point in the game), thanks to my boarding parties. The micro is killing me, though. It's not as bad as Rome:Total War with the EB mod (A more appropriate name there would be Rome:Total Logistics), but I feel like I need a fucking checklist in order to avoid forgetting some minor detail during each turn. Combat's also a chore as I decided to go fighters instead of a more standard route and chasing down non-combatants for 10+ turns is getting tiring.

Ah well, maybe I'll be in a better mood for more of it tomorrow.

I will say, however, that paying only 5%/turn for maintenance instead of the default 25% feels like cheating. It's more cost effective for me to pay the upkeep on space based construction yards and build a mineral extractor on a planet than it is to build an upkeep free construction yard on the ground and that just feels wrong.

So I've been playing System Shock 2, as I mentioned earlier...

Holy shit, this game is amazing. I'm SO glad I did it. I just hit deck 5, so I'm sure I have a ways to go, but damn if that game isn't amazingly atmospheric, creepy, and fun.

There isn't enough ammo in this game, and I'm not good enough with the wrench. Oh well... onward we march.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I just hit deck 5

There isn't enough ammo in this game

You might want to revisit this statement in a while :troll:

Anyways, figured it's time for another summer holiday marathon, this time the pick landed on Legacy of Kain. Finished Soul Reaver just yesterday, and by Gawd almighty, no matter how many times you play through this game, Zephon's fucking cathedral never, EVER gets any less annoying. Legacy of Mario: Pipe Reaver :x

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Started playing Diablo 2 singleplayer again, but this time with the mod that adds in all of the ladder runewords, uniques, and the special uber boss encounters. The best part of the mod is unlimited stash space and the ability to access the stash with all characters. Saves a shitload of grinding in singleplayer.

Only have +11 to summon skills on my Zoomancer so it will take a while before he is geared up enough for uber bosses. Shit gear on the merc, too.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just finished another batch of Gold Box games: Two Savage Frontiers and a fan mod for FRUA. Treasures of the Savage Frontier was great. Gateway to the Savage Frontier was the worst Gold Box game I've played.

I'm taking a break from the engine and playing Rance 3 along with System Shock, with a smattering of Thief: Gold here and there.

System Shock is not an RPG at all, but much more of a shooter with puzzle elements, which surprised me since the technology comes from Ultima Underworld and System Shock 2 is considered an RPG. It's pretty tough, but there are recharge stations that bring you back to life when you can fix them. I like the atmosphere of the game, but the cyberspace portions kick my butt as I fly too fast and the keyboard controls are too unresponsive for me to do well. Figuring out what weapons work well against which enemies has been a treat, though. I hope to finish it though and move onto System Shock 2 sometime this summer.

Rance 3 has been a lot of fun. It's not very hard at all, but I like that combat is more tactical from a top-down perspective, and the humor is there. I wish they had used this kind of system in Sengoku Rance. I don't see it being a difficult game to beat.

circ

Arcane
I think the car still vanishes post patching if you leave it outside Chinatown. I forget the fix, wait a few days and return or something.

And of course it vanishes in New Reno but that's quest related.

Modron

Arcane
Trying to muster the will to finish Drakensang but just can't seem to do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom