Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I won't rage. I will merely :hmmm: at pedestrian minds who cannot into proper spellcraft and enchantement allowing one to craft spell or amulet of *DAEDALIAN* Flight (amulet is better because it can incorporate fast-acting airbrake) and throw themselves across vast distances in seconds, far above any threat or obstacle - even cliffracers.
:obviously:
Why walk if you can fly ICBM?
Because the scenery is pretty. I still want to enjoy my hiking, I just don't want it to take an actual afternoon.

DraQ

Arcane
Amulet? I though it's only possible to do megajumps with alchemy exploits. I keep away from them. There should be a line drawn somewhere.
I don't use alchemy exploits, but it's perfectly possible to enchant amulet that will work as better Icarian Flight scroll with built in airbrake, or not insanely difficult spell doing the same.
I won't rage. I will merely :hmmm: at pedestrian minds who cannot into proper spellcraft and enchantement allowing one to craft spell or amulet of *DAEDALIAN* Flight (amulet is better because it can incorporate fast-acting airbrake) and throw themselves across vast distances in seconds, far above any threat or obstacle - even cliffracers.
:obviously:
Why walk if you can fly ICBM?
Because the scenery is pretty. I still want to enjoy my hiking, I just don't want it to take an actual afternoon.
Well, but then my method still allows actual walking at non-Benny Hill pace, while aerial approach can be valuable to sightseers as well.

kazgar

Arcane
Grotesque Tactics 2: Of Dungeons and Donuts.

I think i'm too far in to stop, might as well finish it. Pretty much rubbish however, don't buy it.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Juggling FRUA, System Shock, and Gateway to the Savage Frontier.

Getting to the end of my Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures Let's Play with the Lost City fan mod. Having a blast with it and enjoy playing every chance I get.

I'm also just started the Gateway to the Savage Frontier and trying to play blind but I keep getting stuck. There is little to do in town, but I got a quest that takes me out of the first town. The problem is that every time I leave I encounter packs of wandering monsters, most of whom are too tough for me to survive. So it has become a grind.

I just finished the Ultima Underworld games, and decided to tackle System Shock 1 since they are technologically related. I was told that System Shock 1 was not an RPG, and I have to agree. It plays more like a 1st person shooter with puzzle elements. It is a fine game, but it's not gripping me as I'm in more of a mood for an RPG rather than an action game. I'll keep pushing, though, since after the two System Shocks I want to play Arx Fatalis, which I hear is much more like Ultima Underworld.

Played Team Fortress 2 for the first time in months, not even 20 minutes in and someone tries to scam me out of my stuff. :lol:

I already closed the dialogue window but it went more or less like this:

Him: U have some nice hats. wana trade

Me: I don't know much about item values

Him: I can help u. U have premium?

Me: I don't think so

Him: I can give u premium but first u have to give me something in return

Me: *checking wiki* I think that you have to buy some item from the in-game store to get premium

Him: no i know a way. give me ur hats and ur taunt and i will give u a item that give u premium.ok?

Me: I don't think so, lol

Him: y

y, indeed. It's a bunch of virtual hats, ffs

Yeah, I could play dumb some more just to see how low he'd be willing to go for them pixels, but at the time I just found it annoying so I blocked him. Oh well, there's always more lulz to be had in the internet.

Later I checked the store - the items he was asking for (that I got for free from buying other games) cost more or less 15 dollars. I then got a premium account (it just lets you trade more items and have a bigger inventory) for buying a 10 cents gun. :lol:

edit: My TF2 experience has been vastly improved since I realized I could just turn the volume down. The amount of kids singing, "pro" players boasting about their 1337 skillz for everyone to hear, and general inbred idiocy - it's like my ears suddenly became a public toilet :(. No more. I just want to shoot people, kthxbai.

edit 2: Oh yeah, tried the Primal Carnage weekend. It's good enough dumb fun shooter for the price, TF2 with dinosaurs but no item management, just shootan (humans) and RIP AND TEAR (dinos). It may seem imbalanced towards dinos, but humans are really strong and can reliably win if players cooperate. Dinosaurs can work alone, and roflstomping (literally) a group of humans with a carnotaurus or t-rex feels awesome.

Shame there's not many people playing. It's always a bad sign when instead of fixing bugs the developers pump out skinpack DLCs. Screen gallery (clicky-clicky):

I took screens from the class selection screens to illustrate the differences between them, but looks like Steam ate those when the free weekend ended.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well, I got the urge to play Bloodlines again, or rather I figured I should take a look at Wesp's latest attempt at fucking up one of the best first-person RPGs of all time (although it doesn't really have much competition now does it?). I didn't even get through the intro cutscenes of your almost-execution. What the shitfuck? Am I playing a Bethesda game all of a sudden? Glitches up the asshole and the camera is total apeshit. He even cut some parts of the cutscene out for fuck's sake.

Should I try the basic patch version or will it only make me mildly less angry? Otherwise I'm doing a clean install with just official 1.2 patch.

Absalom

Well, I got the urge to play Bloodlines again, or rather I figured I should take a look at Wesp's latest attempt at fucking up one of the best first-person RPGs of all time (although it doesn't really have much competition now does it?). I didn't even get through the intro cutscenes of your almost-execution. What the shitfuck? Am I playing a Bethesda game all of a sudden? Glitches up the asshole and the camera is total apeshit. He even cut some parts of the cutscene out for fuck's sake.

Should I try the basic patch version or will it only make me mildly less angry? Otherwise I'm doing a clean install with just official 1.2 patch.
I'd say try the basic patch version first, that's the only one I ever used. Did he really cut out the cutscenes tho? wtf

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated

I'd say try the basic patch version first, that's the only one I ever used. Did he really cut out the cutscenes tho? wtf
He cut out your Sire's head coming off and the whole turning to dust thing for one thing. Don't know what else. The whole intro scene in the theater looks hella wrong. LOTS of jump cuts for no apparent reason. I have no idea why he messed with it.

I'll try the basic patch, thanks. It's ONLY bugfixes right?

Absalom

He cut out your Sire's head coming off and the whole turning to dust thing for one thing. Don't know what else. The whole intro scene in the theater looks hella wrong. LOTS of jump cuts for no apparent reason. I have no idea why he messed with it.

Will try the basic patch. It's ONLY bugfixing right?
Yep. None of that crazy add on shit

Nadosh

Novice
Had a blast buying some games from GOG.com, among them System Shock 2, which I instantly upgraded with SSTool and Rebirth, and Rayman 2, one of my all-time favorite adventures.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally got an evening all to myself so I'm giving Silvern Castle, an Apple II Wizardry-like RPG, a spin. (official website here) The game is pretty cool so far but the weird exp restriction on non-human characters really bugs me out -- it looks like I'll have to stick to a demi-human party for the early game and then switch over to an all-human party to be able to reach higher levels and unlock prestige classes. Really weird way to introduce grinding, if you ask me.

Here's the relevant quote from the manual just so you can appreciate how stupid it can get:

The following races are known as demihumans. Compared to humans, demihumans may have: special abilities, longer life spans, higher starting hit points, and higher starting skill proficiencies. However, this comes at a price. Demihumans need double the experience points to advance up to level 8, and after level 8 they need four times the amount. While there is no limit on the number of levels demihumans may ultimately acquire, the vast amount of experience points needed effectively limits demihumans from attaining high levels.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I TIRED BALDURS GATE IT WAS NOT TO BE

I AM TRYING GENEFORGE WHILE PLAYING RUNNING WITH RIFLES AND CONQUEST OF ELYSJIM THREE

TRIED INTRUSION TWO IT IS FUN

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
  • turn off the lights
  • lock the doors
  • plug in serviceable headphones, providing decent sound and isolation from background noise
  • start a new game of System Shock 2 as OSA on Impossible
  • oh god itz heavan
  • *sob*
  • in space, no-one can hear you scream

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Just finished Spellforce original campaign. It looks, sounds, and plays exactly like a WC3 mod. I swear they just cut and paste files from WC3 and edited them a bit. It is kind of boring, but entertaining enough if you don't mind WC3 mods.

Finished the DLC for Orcs Must Die! 2. The additional levels are uninspired, but the new enemies and gadgets are pretty neat. I should have waited for a sale because they weren't worth full price.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm impressed you got through Spellforce. I got bored after three or four missions. Never bothered with OMD2 DLC as I preordered in a two pack so I could play co-op with people I knew. The complete bundle is a great deal when it's on sale but, even at 75% off I don't feel the individual DLC is worth it. It's a good game but the base campaign is more than enough to get one's fill.

Elthosian

Arcane
I am alternating between The Swapper and the original FEAR, both are pretty cool games, the former with decent puzzle design and a great narrative and the last with an amazing AI, though it's lack of visual variety (oh god, even the first System Shock had more varied levels) can get pretty annoying so I have to stop frequently to avoid getting too bored.

Gurkog

Erudite
Tried popping my Wizardry cherry with 6 from gog, but after an hour of rerolling to get decent starting stats I got bored. Maybe I will try again some other time, but boy do I fucking hate old roll for random starting stats mechanic. Whoever was the retard who thought that was a good idea should be punched in the nutsack.

B-but it feels just like rolling dice! Like in a tabletop RPG!

In front of a DM with the patience of Buddha, of course.

edit:

Kind of meh, really. Like most oldschool beat'em ups, your most powerful weapon isn't your fist, but your ability to keep moving up and down in a game where enemies can't only hit a player directly in front of them. Boss initiates an attack, you take one step north or south, he misses, you mash attack until he falls down, rinse and repeat.

Gurkog

Erudite
Got Zafehouse Diaries during a GoG sale a few days ago and started playing today. It is actually a pretty entertaining rogue-like strategy game where you issue orders to a small group of survivors during a zombie apocalypse with the goal of securing ameans of exiting the town you are in. You have to manage the interpersonal relationships of the survivors, food, rest, modifying items, scavenging, scouting, assaulting zombie dens, barricading a safehouse, finding clues about how to escape, etc... It is extremly low budget and all you see and interact with are a diary that displays everything that happened so far, a map of the town that you can place notes on, list of orders you can issue, photos of your group, and a list of your supplies.

I think it is well done and enjoyable and the lack of visual depictions of what is happening doesn't hurt it in the least. (7/10 for you metacritic fags)

Erebus

Arcane
I'm playing Sanitarium. Quite brilliant so far, but I have to take a short break because the end of Chapter 4 is the most heartwrenching thing I've seen in a video game since that Sensory Stone with Deionarra in Planescape Torment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom