Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
After a 40 hour playthrough of Fallout New Vegas plus 20 hours of DLC I loaded up Mafia 2 for a change of pace.

Underrated game, fuck you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
After a 40 hour playthrough of Fallout New Vegas plus 20 hours of DLC I loaded up Mafia 2 for a change of pace.

Underrated game, fuck you.
Try to ride around in the city, outside the story missions, you will find really interesting things...

:troll:

castlevania lords of shadow on pc master race:D does anyone know if every fucking boss in ths game is a fucking quick time events fest?so far disapointed with boss fights but art style, locations and music are top notch

castlevania lords of shadow on pc master race:D does anyone know if every fucking boss in ths game is a fucking quick time events fest?so far disapointed with boss fights but art style, locations and music are top notch

There are definitely a bunch of QTEs at the end of boss fights, but once you get past Chapter 2 the gameplay/QTE ratio increases a lot in most boss fights, besides maybe the Crow Witch.

Where are you at now?

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
I'm a huge Fallout fan (spent hundreds of hours in every game in the series - still insist that Fallout 1 is the best). I have been dowloading the old games and i noticed that i never finished Fallout Tactics. Anyone here ever played it? Is it shit or is it an underrated gem?

There are definitely a bunch of QTEs at the end of boss fights, but once you get past Chapter 2 the gameplay/QTE ratio increases a lot in most boss fights, besides maybe the Crow Witch.

Where are you at now?
fighting that big stone titan that throws rocks at you. fight is not that hard just fucking trial and error. destroy glowing spots and than gues where to hide:rage:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'm a huge Fallout fan (spent hundreds of hours in every game in the series - still insist that Fallout 1 is the best). I have been dowloading the old games and i noticed that i never finished Fallout Tactics. Anyone here ever played it? Is it shit or is it an underrated gem?
Shit. Lack of basic mechanics from the genre like terrain destruction makes missions among flimsy buildings to be more like dungeon-crawling, you get flimsy doors that can't be blown up or even lockpicked, etc.
Combat system is pretty shitty when compared to JA2 and X-Com and even Laser Squad.
Fallout setting is mutilated beyond recognition and stuff like that.

Better play Laser Squad.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Better than Fallout3, no suprise.
It's nice tactical game, kinda repetitive (lot of fights and lack of talks without any choices).
Read spekkio's LP if you want, pretty entertaining.
Also got nice mod called Awaken, try it if you can.

fighting that big stone titan that throws rocks at you. fight is not that hard just fucking trial and error. destroy glowing spots and than gues where to hide

That's the last "Titan" boss until the end game (which is a long way away). Afterwards boss fights become a lot more conventional.
goooood. that fight with black knight was already better. and i just noticed how fucking long this game is for an AAA title:thumbsup: i thought i will run through it in 6-8hrs and get back to darksiders 2 but nope:smug:

laclongquan

Arcane

Better than Fallout3, no suprise.
It's nice tactical game, kinda repetitive (lot of fights and lack of talks without any choices).
Read spekkio's LP if you want, pretty entertaining.
Also got nice mod called Awaken, try it if you can.

You must keep the correct perspective.

Fallout Tactics is not RPG. IT's RPG-lite like Jagged Alliance 2. In fact, it' s the correct game to play after JA2. Dont expect story, character quests and usual stuffs of a RPG. Expect a goodly many battle with tactical choices and consequences.

I guess the reason you abandoned it many years ago because you playin it as the next game after Fallout, not as next game after JA2. It is the usual culprit.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
You must keep the correct perspective.

Fallout Tactics is not RPG. IT's RPG-lite like Jagged Alliance 2. In fact, it' s the correct game to play after JA2. Dont expect story, character quests and usual stuffs of a RPG. Expect a goodly many battle with tactical choices and consequences.

I guess the reason you abandoned it many years ago because you playin it as the next game after Fallout, not as next game after JA2. It is the usual culprit.
Playing it after JA2 is even worse than playing it after Fallout. The contrast in quality of mechanics between these games could probably drive the player who would try to do something like this to a clinical depression or even to suicide.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
People who get depressed that not every game is as good as one of the best in the genre shouldn't be playing videogames, amyway. Too many shitty games out there, not a healthy lifestyle.
Fallout: Tactics is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to skirmish games. The only one worse that I have ever played is Rezerwowe Psy.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Rezerwowe Psy? Oh my... that was traumatic. There was also similiar game called Troma Project but can't decide which one was worse.
Even Abomination: Nemesis Project was better.

Fallout Tactics could be some kind of introduction for people who never played anything tactical. But then - better to start with Silent Storm.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
After playing around with Misery Mod 2.0.1 for Call of Pripyat I decided to embrace popamole and finally play Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I prepared for complete decline and after seeing "I'm here for a story" difficulty level I turned on my sunglasses augumentation, said "I never asked for this" and choose "Give me Deus Ex" option... then I died 6 times during tutorial.

BUT, after game wasted around hour of my life with unskipable "cinematics" and let me fucking PLAY the game, I must say it's NOT that bad. At least game forced me to plan my approach because I got jack shit for ammo and you can't "takedown" everyone due to the fact that "takedowns" drain stamina/energy/freak-juice. I was pleasantly supprised because this game have obviously popamolish control designed for gamepad, which is usually first and last warning sign that makes me bail out from the game.
Hey, I'm a bit late to the party, but I feel like rewarding you for your LPs so here's my quickstart to improving DX:HR by approx. 300%: 1) disable mouse smoothing (registry edit) 2) disable object highlighting, quest compass, post processing etc. 3) unbind cover key 4) unbind takedown key 5) never spend a single praxis point 6) carry around a stun gun and/or revolver + exploding rounds (depending on difficulty) for boss fights.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Long weekend, and that means I've decided I'm going to play and finish Unreal Gold. This game still kicks ass over a decade later. Though that said, does anyone know of any texture replacements for props, weapons, enemies, etc. and the other holes that the Unreal Texture project leaves left over?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom