Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Erebus

Arcane
I'm fighting Irenicus in Hell with Tactics mod implemented and the Wraith of Wrath is making me RAGE !

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Finished Derp Wake, trying to play Far Cry 3. A poor's man stalker.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I figured out what I was doing wrong in Dark Souls and am now making slow, yet steady progress. Obsidian needs to make a love-child born of Dark Souls and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Oh my God that would be heaven! :yeah:

Murk

Arcane
got no where else to post this, so here it goes

Game: The Duellist
Gengre: Simulation

Premise: You take on the role of a young hussar in the rightful emperor Napoleon Bonaparte's army. You try to gain rank and reputation by being a good soldier, earning lands and titles, and of course -- by giving foul mouthed knaves a licking they so desperately deserve. The game is split into 3 segments -- war, social, and honor.

War: During war you play initially as a soldier who is put in charge of a small company when your commanding officer is killed and play a small timey turn based tactical match not too dissimilar to ToEE or something of that ilk. As you fight you have the opportunity to raid and loot the areas while you try to accomplish your mission(s) such as burning down an enemy stronghold, killing key enemy targets, defending areas of importance, ambushing trade caravans, etc.

Social: During the social phase you engage in gentlemanly banter with your fellow Christians and try to earn a proper reputation so as to find yourself a virtuous wife. You can engage in acts of diplomacy, politics, art, gambling, sportsmanship, hunting, or socializing. This section is primarily focused on skill checks and careful navigation of dialog trees not too dissimilar to the 'choice of' games -- but you still retain control of your avatar. You also attempt to stay up to date with modern fashion and secure a proper supply of mustache wax. Careful tho, some may not take a liking to your person and may either insult you or create such an excessive circumstance that they deserve to be insulted. Such cases can only be settled with a proper showing of strength and honor.

Honor: During the honor phase you engage in a one-on-one duel with the undignified lout that ever dared to besmirch your good name. Duels take place in person with saber, pistol, saber and pistol, or on horseback with saber. Duels award respect and honor but can also tarnish your reputation by naming you blood thirsty and brutish, depending on many factors such as whether you instigated the fight, fought admirably or cowardly, and how far you take the duel (some deserve death, others deserve mercy, but their holdings are for the victor to take should they fall to the grave).

The game takes place over a period of 50 years whereupon you will age from 20 to 70 and finally die. It is your ultimate goal to afford land, wealth, reputation, and to sire sons and daughters so that your legacy may live on.

As you garner honor you are afforded many gifts such as larger and more elaborate smoking pipes, tastefully decorated coats and mustache jewelry, and of course, and increasing vocabulary of gentlemanly discourse.

Repressed Homosexual
I tried Sleeping Dogs, I find this to be very overrated. I hate the Asian protagonist who acts like an ass all the time and beats people up for no reason. There's nothing in this game that isn't done better in GTA or Saints Row.

oscar

Arcane

Did you create/are you creating this?

Sabres of Infinity is an excellent option if you're looking for some Napoleonic War-esque action.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried Sleeping Dogs, I find this to be very overrated. I hate the Asian protagonist who acts like an ass all the time and beats people up for no reason. There's nothing in this game that isn't done better in GTA or Saints Row.
Better story (although I'm just sick of GTA's boring american landscape and story), better city (not bigger, but at least something new), better melee system. And what is this about beating people up for no reason. You beat up Triad members, because you are in the Triad.

Blonsky

Prophet
Just finished Jagged Alliance Back in Action- This game was made by a bunch of 3d model designers who dont know how to write a decent story, make up interesting characters or create an atmosphere in a game, so they use other games stuff. After taking over half of the locations on a map i got bored of losing them because militia guys are useless, so i went straight to Meduna and finished off the queen.
Miguel become president king and there was a bio attack on the cities in the world from Arulco. Great now i will have to replay the game to see if i can stop this, also i wonder what happens if Miguel dies before the end.

Morkar Left

Gengre: Simulation

Such a game exists? Where to get? Screenshots?

Currently playing Zafehouse diaries again with the new patch. The new endless mode is entertaining. I even managed to get a good bunch of survivors together with a good relationship and a bunch of weapons (without storming the police station). My biggest problem so far is - like always - food. You can now now find greenhouses with regenerating ressources but so far I'm without luck.
I wish the game had some campaign mode that combines the three gamemodes together with a roadmap similar to organ trail (which is a oregon trail ripoff). This would make the ultimate zombie survival game for me.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
You can badmouth FT all you want. if you are tired of JA2 and dont want FT, you will have zero choice left. Not until Silent Storm series.
You can go back to Laser Squad, X-Com 1-3, if you really don't mind lower quality you can go to stuff like Wages of War.
Or play something from a different genre.

Rezerwowe Psy? Oh my... that was traumatic. There was also similiar game called Troma Project but can't decide which one was worse.
Even Abomination: Nemesis Project was better.
:lol:
IIRC Troma Poject was made by the same company. One thing that is sad, is that they are notorious for vulgarity and violence, not for being shit games.

Fallout Tactics could be some kind of introduction for people who never played anything tactical. But then - better to start with Silent Storm.
Fallout Tactics is basically a sad crippled game that suffered a lot due to transition from a party-based Fallout to skirmish game that doesn't even have dialogues.

laclongquan

Arcane
Talk about low expectation. When you have JA2, why would you go back to older stuff like Laser Squad or ancient XComs?

Nostalgia is overrated too much around here. Because, old chaps, only that would make you play those tittles these days, or back to the days after JA2.

Morkar Left

If you played JA2 for the 20th time it can get a bit repetitive afterall.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Talk about low expectation. When you have JA2, why would you go back to older stuff like Laser Squad or ancient XComs?

Nostalgia is overrated too much around here. Because, old chaps, only that would make you play those tittles these days, or back to the days after JA2.
Because they have good atmosphere and unlike Fallout: Tactics, they don't lack basic features of the genre. In Laser Squad you still have a big difference between aimed, snap and auto shots (in that aspect later X-Coms kinda get regressive - from autoshot where you set a zone of fire and number of shots, through random 3 shot autoshot to autoshot being normal shot that takes less time units and is less accurate) and you still have ability to destroy terrain, create entries, etc. which is some of the basic urban skirmish tactics.

Murk

Arcane
oscar + Morkar

No such game exists, I'm basing it in part off of the movie The Duellists but it's an idea I'd LOVE to see happen. Just seems fun as fuck.

I wish I could just make my ideas into reality. I wish =(

I do not have the technical skill to program such a game =( =( =(

oscar

Arcane
Yeah I've seen The Duellists. Pretty cool.

Check out that Sabres of Infinity game though. Text only but sounds pretty similar to what you're going for.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Finally started Metro 2033 that I picked from the Codex giftstravaganza in December. I knew it was a rail shooter but the Stalker connections, the setting and being an Eastern European game gave me some hope that it wouldn't suck. Well, the atmosphere is good. Shooting is occasionally fun. Too bad that the game is filled with completely unnecessary CoD shit that doesn't fit it at all.

First of all, it's a pretty poor console port. If you want to have nice textures, you also need to turn on shit like motion blur. The FOV is ridiculously narrow. There's checkpoint saving, of course. The levels are the smallest I've ever seen in a shooter, although I suppose it doesn't matter whether you have one long corridor or five shorter ones when the game is super linear anyway. Naturally there's health regen and QTEs. You can carry only one gun of each type. The survivalism aspect (scavenging for ammo and other equipment, basically) doesn't really work in a completely linear game either, as you always know that you'll find a spare gas mask or some ammo whenever you need it.

The scripted sequences are the worst, mostly because they serve no purpose. At all. The devs could've just saved themselves some trouble and resources and left them out completely, making the game better in the process. It almost feels like someone forced them to add them in later in the development, because they feel so out-of-place most of the time. For example, there's one part where you open a door at the end of a level and the game takes control away from you. You're forced to watch as your character gets knocked out like a complete idiot by a guy who stands on the other side of the door you're not ambushed or anything, your character just becomes a careless retard all of a sudden, after killing dozens of similar guys in the past five minutes. Oh well, maybe there's going to be some really cool level where you have to escape without weapons or something? Nope, just a one-minute cutscene that ends up with your captor getting a knife to the neck. Then the game continues like nothing had happened, so the whole thing was completely pointless. The game is full of rage-inducing stuff like this.

It's a shame, really, because the setting is interesting and with some improvements it might've been a pretty cool game. Remove health regen, QTEs and the worthless "cinematic" moments, perhaps introduce a proper inventory system, make the structure a bit more open so that you could move between different areas to some extent, and you might end up with a game that's somewhere between Stalker and the first Half-Life.

laclongquan

Arcane
If you played JA2 for the 20th time it can get a bit repetitive afterall.
Let's assume all versions of Jagged Alliance 2 as one game, just for the sake of argument.

let's assume we are a relative fan of JA2, not obsessive or anything. We replay the game twice a year.
Holy fuck!!! It means we should have played it at least 30 times.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing Far Cry Blood Dragon, it is a better game than Far Cry 3, the outposts to conquer have interesting level design, some are underground, some o ver water with multiple levels. The art design is interesting as well. The jokes about the 80s action movies are a hit and miss, there are great stuff like the Winners don't use drugs reference but very lame stuff like C400 is like C4 with two zeros. But, oh boy, the shooting and stealth system in Far Cry 3 was really shitty, here is no different. When you get through half the game on the hardest difficulty without your health never really droping much below 50%, something is very wrong on the difficulty side. Stealth isn't much better becuase it can be really easy with the total lack of pheripheral vision of the enemies and the tendency of the enemies to look up to walls or can be really impossible but why use stealth if you can blast all the enemies in the base with a shotgun without your health even dropping below 50%,anyway. I should know better, Far Cry 3 is a piece of shit, Boring dragon is an imrpovement but still boring as fuck.

Gord

Arcane
Finally finished AssCreed 2.
Got it for the sightseeing in renaissance italy - this it did quite good.
Too bad the game is a horrible console port and gameplay is boring.

And lets just forget the herp-derp story... :retarded:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
After finishing Papers, Please (and helping start a glorious revolution). :obviously: I am now playing Dragon Commander and keeping myself busy pissing off dwarves and undead. Edmund rocks.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Finally finished Alan Wake and its terrible, terrible (terrible!) mini-expansion pack/DLC bullshit.

Now playing Legend of Grimrock and kicking myself for waiting this long to play this gem.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Replaying through Divinity 2 but got a bit bored after finishing 4 flying fortresses...zzZZZzzz...I have one more left to go and then I can continue on the wonderful Flames of Vengeance, but I must say I'm still lacking a bit in motivation to continue.

Bought Pharaoh + Cleopatra for the first time and after finishing the first chapter's maps, all of a sudden all the metaknowledge, especially those housing blocks and mechanism popped up back into my head and the game suddenly doesn't look like a game to me much more :( But I really want to play through this shit this time. I've never played any further than the fourth chapter or something.

I really want to play Rome 2 but the reviews and complaints of issues are hilarious. Guess I should wait for a month or so. BTW I've waited for half an year but Eader: Master of Borken Worlds is still quite borken.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I have been playing Geneforge 3 again, first as a loyalist Guardian and now as a rebel Shaper. Great fun, although after Geneforge 2, I do find certain specific requirements for plot progression and the lack of additional factions to be a bit of a let-down. Still, most of the time, the game does not prevent you from playing the way you like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom